Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have most underrated wr corp in nfl

Stephen

To many the colts have question marks at wr but I don't think so. T.y. Hilton is built to play with big armed QBs like wentz. Also Michael will thrive with our improved down field passing attack. He was poorly used in that way with rivers.

Then comes our most under rated wr Zach pascal. He's capable of being a 1000 yard receiver with Wentz under center and went for over 600 yards twice with brissett and rivers. An excellent blocker and an all around great wr. 

This doesn't factor in our two x factors Parris Campbell and Kylen Granson. Parris is all about health and Granson it's all about targets. If Granson gets the targets he will beat Dwayne Allen's rookie record for recs and will have the colts rookie record for tes

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Stephen said:

To many the colts have question marks at wr but I don't think so. T.y. Hilton is built to play with big armed QBs like wentz. Also Michael will thrive with our improved down field passing attack. He was poorly used in that way with rivers.

Then comes our most under rated wr Zach pascal. He's capable of being a 1000 yard receiver with Wentz under center and went for over 600 yards twice with brissett and rivers. An excellent blocker and an all around great wr. 

This doesn't factor in our two x factors Parris Campbell and Kylen Granson. Parris is all about health and Granson it's all about targets. If Granson gets the targets he will beat Dwayne Allen's rookie record for recs and will have the colts rookie record for tes

Pittman does not have breakaway speed, IMO and NO, he was not poorly used. I sometimes wonder how fans seem to know better than the OC and HC??? :dunno:

Rivers had career numbers in this offense. Luck, with a big arm like Wentz, had more shorter routes called as well under Reich, improving his efficiency as well. Fans need to look a bit deeper. 

• Shive changed the title to Colts have most underrated wr corp in nfl

Ehhhhhh, i think everyone has them rated pretty correctly. An aging speed guy, a still relatively unknown 2nd year player, a speedster who hasnt been able to stay healthy, a barely average WR and the rest are complete unknowns. Dont get me wrong i like the potential we have here but very far from being underrated.. 

8 minutes ago, twfish said:

Ehhhhhh, i think everyone has them rated pretty correctly. An aging speed guy, a still relatively unknown 2nd year player, a speedster who hasnt been able to stay healthy, a barely average WR and the rest are complete unknowns. Dont get me wrong i like the potential we have here but very far from being underrated.. 

Pascal is not barely average. He is viable to the colts. He blocks like a TE and gets you clutch catches when you need it.

Just now, CR91 said:

Pascal is not barely average. He is viable to the colts. He blocks like a TE and gets you clutch catches when you need it.

Yep. Average to me would be a 300 yard guy. Every QB has loved throwing to Zach. I expect him to maybe have even a little more yards this year. Not many teams can say their 3rd or 4th guy have  over 600 yards.

I think Campbell is the guy If healthy to have a 1k yards because of his YAC. 

Most underrated?    I don't agree.   Maybe most unknown.   We have to see how Wentz plays.   We have to see how Campbell looks.  Pascal could step back now that he is one of many receiving threats.   

28 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Pittman does not have breakaway speed, IMO and NO, he was not poorly used. I sometimes wonder how fans seem to know better than the OC and HC??? :dunno:

Rivers had career numbers in this offense. Luck, with a big arm like Wentz, had more shorter routes called as well under Reich, improving his efficiency as well. Fans need to look a bit deeper. 

This is true.  Reich runs his own variation or flavor of the West Coast offense.  The West coast has alot of short passing plays, short throws to the running back and occasionally taking deep shots down field to keep the defense off balance.  Reich has added his own plays like the RPO to the WC offense.

This is why Hines is critical to this offense as you need alot of fast pass catching RB's to make this offense work.

Also required is a very accurate passer who hits the receiver completely in stride on the short routes so the WR or RB does not have to wait on the pass.  If he has to wait or the pass hits him on the wrong shoulder, he could get tackled for a loss as defenders will quickly close in.  Also the ball will be thrown in traffic alot because of the short throws.

Everyone thinks Rivers was throwing short because he had a weak arm when in fact he was working within Reich's offense.  Rivers was a very talented deep ball thrower and even @EastStreet has said Rivers was in the bottom 10 of QBs with deep ball attempts and top 10 in deep ball completions.  This means when Rivers took deep shots, he connected and was very accurate on the deep ball.

It seems from reading this board that Wentz is going to go bombs away when I suspect next season we'll see alot of short passes again.

44 minutes ago, chad72 said:

When you look at his college tape he was snagging down field passes all the time so yes he was poorly used in my opinion

8 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

This is true.  Reich runs his own variation or flavor of the West Coast offense.  The West coast has alot of short passing plays, short throws to the running back and occasionally taking deep shots down field to keep the defense off balance.  Reich has added his own plays like the RPO to the WC offense.

This is why Hines is critical to this offense as you need alot of fast pass catching RB's to make this offense work.

Also required is a very accurate passer who hits the receiver completely in stride on the short routes so the WR or RB does not have to wait on the pass.  If he has to wait or the pass hits him on the wrong shoulder, he could get tackled for a loss as defenders will quickly close in.  Also the ball will be thrown in traffic alot because of the short throws.

Everyone thinks Rivers was throwing short because he had a weak arm when in fact he was working within Reich's offense.  Rivers was a very talented deep ball thrower and even @EastStreet has said Rivers was in the bottom 10 of QBs with deep ball attempts and top 10 in deep ball completions.  This means when Rivers took deep shots, he connected and was very accurate on the deep ball.

It seems from reading this board that Wentz is going to go bombs away when I suspect next season we'll see alot of short passes again.

Wentz often looks for the big play more than rivers and uses legs to buy extra time for the big play. Rivers was a get rid of it quick guy. The younger Rivers was more of a gunslinger than the one that played last year

I have no problem with our WR group being ranked 24th.    Frankly,  I thought it might be lower.

But I agree with the poster who said we're more unknown than under appreciated.

Remember,  this is just mid-June.     I would think our ranking might go up a fair amount AFTER this season.

Personally.....    

I expect Pittman to get 75-85 receptions for 900-1000 yards

I expect Campbell to get 60-65 receptions for 750-850 yards

I expect Hilton to get 50-60 receptions for 650-750 yards

I expect Pascal to get 35-45 receptions for 400-500 yards

I expect Hines to get 60-70 receptions for  400-500 yards

I expect Taylor to get 30-40 receptions for 250-350 yards

And a reminder about last year....   Due to Covid,  there was no pre-season,  and very little practice both before and during the season.     So, whatever you saw,  expect more and better this year.    The playbook will be better.    The weapons will be more experienced.    Wentz will be capable of much more than he's shown the last few years.

1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

That last paragraph I believe absolutely will happen. I think Reich is going to look to rebuild Wentz confidence and play by using the same short game as we have seen. Which should cut down on the risky big throws and this, the INTs. 

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I have no problem with our WR group being ranked 24th.    Frankly,  I thought it might be lower.

Remember,  this is just mid-June.     I would think our ranking might go up a fair amount AFTER this season.

Personally.....    

And a reminder about last year....   Due to Covid,  there was no pre-season,  and very little practice both before and during the season.     So, whatever you saw,  expect more and better this year.    The playbook will be better.    The weapons will be more experienced.    Wentz will be capable of much more than he's shown the last few years.

Agreed, we have way too many Question marks at QB and WR to be higher. The potential is there but no one can honestly say

1 hour ago, twfish said:

59 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Put these two comments together and you have the right answer. TY is not the same guy, but he's still pretty good. PIttman is still relatively unknown in the NFL, but I hope/believe that will change this year. He's a top candidate to break out. Campbell is a complete unknown due to the loss of his first two years to injury; lots of hope but who truly knows with his recent history? He might not contribute much of anything this year, and no one should honestly be shocked by that.

But Pascal.....he's very underrated IMO. A glue guy who does all the little things very well. He's a quietly significant cog in the passing attack.

After Pascal, its a crap shoot to see who the 5th and 6th receivers will be. Lots of hope, but nothing concrete.

As for the TEs, no one in the Colts' current group is scaring anyone, now or in the near future. Doyle is slowing down and nearing retirement; MAC has lots of potential; our new rookie...... lots of hope. 

The hidden gem: Hines. He is a first rate receiving threat at any time. The other team has to plan for him. That almost makes him an anomaly in the Colt passing attack. 

Add it all up: lots of potential, not much substance, but with the needle definitely pointing up. Yes, the Colt receiving corps is underrated, but not unfairly so. 

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Personally.....    

I believe Granson will be on your list as well. He will have a big impact on offense

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

It wasn't Pittmans fault that Rivers could Never create any extra time to exploit the deep ball. Nor could Rivers easily throw the ball 60 yards.
 Pittman has plenty of speed to get behind a defense.
 Expect him to catch a number of Bombs.

16 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

It wasn't Pittmans fault that Rivers could Never create any extra time to exploit the deep ball. Nor could Rivers easily throw the ball 60 yards.

You will be surprised and disappointed because Reich and his system lends to a lot of underneath passing and YAC. We just don't seem to see it.

2018 - "well, Luck was coming back from injury, Reich is easing him in..." but the bombs to TY never came, instead lots of 15-20 yard passes came with a guy like Luck that could and did buy time resulting in a career year for Ebron in that 20 yard range

2019 - "well, Jacoby is too gun shy to pull the trigger on anything past 10 yards..." this is true, so we move on to another established QB

2020 - "well, Rivers cannot buy time..." yes he is a statue that connected on plenty of deep balls, one of which TY dropped and one of which Pascal caught for a TD vs Steelers, and threw several in stride to Pittman and others for plenty of YAC (there is a guy who has won 7 SBs playing in systems resulting in deaths by thousand paper cuts, yet we clamor for bombs like Mahomes throws)

When will we realize what @PRnum1 told us that Reich's system does not take too many deep shots, regardless of QB to be true? If anything, the extra time Wentz buys will be used to hit guys in the red zone and 3rd downs where our offensive numbers were outside the Top 10 in TDs and 3rd down conversion percentages. That is where it will end up mattering, IMO.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

I agree with this pitman can definitely stretch the field

59 minutes ago, chad72 said:

You will be surprised and disappointed because Reich and his system lends to a lot of underneath passing and YAC. We just don't seem to see it.

2018 - "well, Luck was coming back from injury, Reich is easing him in..." but the bombs to TY never came, instead lots of 15-20 yard passes came with a guy like Luck that could and did buy time resulting in a career year for Ebron in that 20 yard range

2019 - "well, Jacoby is too gun shy to pull the trigger on anything past 10 yards..." this is true, so we move on to another established QB

2020 - "well, Rivers cannot buy time..." yes he is a statue that connected on plenty of deep balls, one of which TY dropped and one of which Pascal caught for a TD vs Steelers, and threw several in stride to Pittman and others for plenty of YAC (there is a guy who has won 7 SBs playing in systems resulting in deaths by thousand paper cuts, yet we clamor for bombs like Mahomes throws)

When will we realize what @PRnum1 told us that Reich's system does not take too many deep shots, regardless of QB to be true? If anything, the extra time Wentz buys will be used to hit guys in the red zone and 3rd downs where our offensive numbers were outside the Top 10 in TDs and 3rd down conversion percentages. That is where it will end up mattering, IMO.

Look up Wentz stays in 2017 he took plenty of deep shots with Reich. The problem recently has luck coming off injury, gun shy brissett, old rivers, the deep shots will be there but the QB has to take them. West coast doesn't take as many as other offensive styles but if they are truly catering to the QBs strengths you'll see more this year than recently

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

I believe Granson will be on your list as well. He will have a big impact on offense

Sorry....    sorry....    sorry....     my bad....

I got distracted and left off the TE group.....

Honestly,  I don't have a good feel yet for how I think they'll do,  so I'll go a bit conservative on them.

I expect Doyle to get 40-50 receptions for about 400-500 yards.   (Not sure how healthy he'll be and how much he'll play)

I expect MAC to get  35-40 receptions for about 350-450 yards.

I expect Granson to get 35-40 reptions for about 400-500 yards.

A footnote to the previous post.    I didn't post numbers for the other players we will clearly use.   That doesn't mean I don't think they'll play and contribute.     I was just posting the obvious leaders for each group.   I'm sure other players will post numbers for the colts as well.

8 hours ago, chad72 said:

Pittman runs 4.52, which is great for his size. His short shuttle is also great. Not sure I'd say he was used poorly, but he wasn't used to the fullest of his extent. You can view his route charts on nextgen, but he was rarely targeted beyond 10 yards, and it seemed almost never down the sideline deep. Mostly short stuff and crossers.

It's not knowing better than an OC or HC, it's simply seeing scheme patterns and use, and in some cases, comparing to other teams who have a more dynamic passing attack. And no, not a huge fan of Reich's conservative passing attack.

7 hours ago, CR91 said:

He's an above average blocker, average at best receiver. He's steady, but doesn't have the size or speed to really be go-to weapon. His best use IMO is as a rotational big/bully-slot where he can get a mismatch.

24 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He's an above average blocker, average at best receiver. He's steady, but doesn't have the size or speed to really be go-to weapon. His best use IMO is as a rotational big/bully-slot where he can get a mismatch.

That's better then barely average. I'm just saying Pascal is important because of all the dirty work that is done that is not on the stat sheet.

4 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Neither is on an NFL roster. 

Which, quite frankly, should be expected for both.   They were drafted in Luck’s class, 2012.   

Fleener had concussion issues.   I think Allen had knee issues. 

The class that was once called the 9th best draft class of all-time certainly didn’t age well.    I think only Hilton remains. 

15 hours ago, Stephen said:

I did not know that Allen had the rookie rec record. Granson would only have to catch 3 balls per game to get that. That could happen if they use him like Burton right away.

Ive always like Patmon going back to his Wash State days, he glides when he runs and could be a big factor if he has improved his route tree. He  was putting in work with Wentz and Pittman day 1.

I also am a big fan of D .Harris he came out of nowhere last season as an drafted rookie and produced both as a rec and on end arounds. Very similar skill set to Hines and like Hines started at both WR and RB while in college.

I would say we have one of the deepest WR squads because there are going to be multiple players cut that would make many other teams. Hopefully we get those players through and onto practice squad. 

14 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Yep. Average to me would be a 300 yard guy. Every QB has loved throwing to Zach. I expect him to maybe have even a little more yards this year. Not many teams can say their 3rd or 4th guy have  over 600 yards.

I think Campbell is the guy If healthy to have a 1k yards because of his YAC. 

That’s because he’s not really their 3rd or 4th guy. Pascal by every measure has been at least the WR2 the past two seasons…but really more of a WR1b because he has by far the most snaps of any WR.

I can’t we him getting 600+ yards if he is actually the 3rd or 4th guy. His production is a credit to his ability to stay on the field while others couldn’t. And his production was about what you would expect from an average with that type of opportunity.

With a healthy WR depth chart, he probably is more like a 300-400 yard WR, especially since he was primarily a slot WR last season.

20 hours ago, Stephen said:

Philip Rivers is a HOF (should be 1st ballot) who threw for more yards last year than Wentz ever did.  In his last year in the league.  A prolific passer of the football.

so why do you think the  receivers will be better off with Wentz? There is no apparent evidence for your assertion.

50 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

That’s because he’s not really their 3rd or 4th guy. Pascal by every measure has been at least the WR2 the past two seasons…but really more of a WR1b because he has by far the most snaps of any WR.

I can’t we him getting 600+ yards if he is actually the 3rd or 4th guy. His production is a credit to his ability to stay on the field while others couldn’t. And his production was about what you would expect from an average with that type of opportunity.

With a healthy WR depth chart, he probably is more like a 300-400 yard WR, especially since he was primarily a slot WR last season.

Best post on the thread.

16 hours ago, Four2itus said:

After the catch, the way Pittman runs kind of reminds me of Eric Dickerson....like his heads stays moving forward and his body slides around defenders. 

That is an enjoyable observation. 
Dickerson kept his head up and with those long legs his stride looked like he was smoothly gliding along. So big and Sooo fast. A great pickup!

20 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I had forgotten about Dwayne Stone Hands Allen. I thought he was going to be great player.  Is he or Coby Fleener even in the league anymore?

Thanks for asking. I took a minute to check Scrub Fleenor out.
 It shows he only played 6 years, the last in 2017.
 He played in 11 games his 1st and last season.
 The middle 4 seasons he Only played...
 In 16 games all four seasons
 And had over 50 catches all four and averaged over 600 yards.

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Personally.....    

I too agree with these status.  Good post @NewColtsFan

On 6/11/2021 at 10:33 AM, Stephen said:

There is no wide receiver group in the NFL that is more overrated by the teams fans than this group with the Colts. There is no number one receiver on the team. Several of them are injury prone. I think it is one of the weakest aspects of the Colts and I think they will show those issues early and often. Some of it will be masked by the running game and ability of the running backs to be effective in the passing game.

On 6/11/2021 at 2:46 PM, Wentzszn said:

It’s going to be rare for this team to have a 1k yard WR. We spread the ball around too much and run the ball a ton. 

Exactly. That’s why, when I hear people compare our receivers to others, and go strictly by yards, it’s not a fair comparison. When a receiver is a primary target and is on a team that doesn’t have as many options as the Colts do, they are going to have a better chance to gain more yards.

7 hours ago, Nickster said:

Philip Rivers is a HOF (should be 1st ballot) 

I disagree with that.

Crap!, that is a conversation for a different thread.   I don't doubt he makes it, it is just that I would be more strict on who gets in.

Archived