Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who is the most underrated player on the Colts?

Mackrel829

Who is the most underrated player on the Colts?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the most underrated player on the Colts?

In the wake of the draft, I've naturally seen and heard a number of people discuss the outlook for the Colts defensive line. Paye and Dayo are spoken about as high upside prospects, Buckner is seen as a perennial All-Pro, and Grover Stewart is... never mentioned. Stewart has come on leaps and bounds since he was drafted, and has been as consistent and reliable as anyone on the D-Line the last two seasons. I don't feel like he's currently getting the recognition that he deserves, and would argue that he's the most underrated player on the Colts right now.

If you disagree, who would be your choice?

I have a couple of other contenders but feel free to add your own in the comments:

Rock Ya-Sin - Very solid when playing zone but gets burned or penalised once a game and that's all people remember.

Braden Smith - Being the third best lineman on the team means being top 5 at his position often goes unnoticed.

Nyheim Hines - Recognised for his ability to make plays out of the backfield but has also begun to show improvement running between the tackles.

Jack Doyle - Mr. Reliable. He'd still be top of my target list in a 4th and 5 situation. Never makes the highlight reel but is one of the most fundamentally sound football players on the team.

I voted Braden Smith, as whenever anyone mentioned our line previously, it was always Castonzo, Nelson and Kelly that were mentioned specifically by name, hardly ever was Braden thrown in there too. He has been stalwart at RT and definitely deserves far more credit.

However, after I pressed Braden and voted i had a thought.... and funnily enough I think the answer is TY Hilton atm.

Pretty much ever since he was drafted the Colts offence just hasn’t been the same when he isn’t on the field. That holds true still... even when he isn’t posting big numbers himself, the entire offence runs better when he is there. People are so down on TY that they were willing to let him walk, but it would’ve been a massive mistake. So glad he stayed.

2 hours ago, JediXMan said:

Khari Wills. 

This is a good shout, and one that I hadn't considered.

2 hours ago, Chucklez said:

I voted Braden Smith, as whenever anyone mentioned our line previously, it was always Castonzo, Nelson and Kelly that were mentioned specifically by name, hardly ever was Braden thrown in there too. He has been stalwart at RT and definitely deserves far more credit.

However, after I pressed Braden and voted i had a thought.... and funnily enough I think the answer is TY Hilton atm.

Pretty much ever since he was drafted the Colts offence just hasn’t been the same when he isn’t on the field. That holds true still... even when he isn’t posting big numbers himself, the entire offence runs better when he is there. People are so down on TY that they were willing to let him walk, but it would’ve been a massive mistake. So glad he stayed.

I thought about TY, and I think he may have been the most underrated at various times earlier in his career, but I think that he's getting about the credit he deserves now. I think a lot of people are starting to look back on his career and realise how legit he was, even people nationally and not just in Indy.

Easily Hines.  Braeden is about to get paid handsomely and that by itself proves he is appreciated.  Hines continually moves the chains and makes plays on punt returns. He is a terrific player that keeps getting better. I hope they work out an extension for him but he may be a player that we financially can’t keep and must try to replace with someone on a rookie contract. 

"Other" is the most underrated player in the NFL.

But seriously...my vote from this list would be Smith. He's not an elite RT, but he is a very good one. And I think his impact on the OL improvement from 2017-now seems to often get overshadowed by Nelson at times.

Rock is definitely not underrated...he has a big year coming up.

Hines is not really underrated...as far as RBs go.

Stewart isn't really overrated or underrated...he's a solid rotational interior DL player.

Doyle is in the last year of his career...so not sure if it really matters at this point.

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Easily Hines.  Braeden is about to get paid handsomely and that by itself proves he is appreciated.  Hines continually moves the chains and makes plays on punt returns. He is a terrific player that keeps getting better. I hope they work out an extension for him but he may be a player that we financially can’t keep and must try to replace with someone on a rookie contract. 

Hines is pretty replaceable. The Colts have a top tier run-blocking OL that can open huge holes and knows how to get downfield. So it's not all that difficult to find smaller fast RBs that can run behind it and catch dump-offs in space...whether that's in the draft or off the scrap heap.

However, they really like Hines, so I think they re-sign him. And his contract should not be expensive at all. If a player like Ekeler got $6M/year...the Colts should be able to extend Hines for something like 3/$12-15M. That seems manageable.

12 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I went with Doyle, he has been solid for us but we always talk about getting a new tight end.

Well he insinuated that he is retiring after this season...so getting a new TE will be necessary very soon. 

1A for me is Pascal. He has turned himself into a very valuable overall contributor. He has learned the offense/how to read and attack zones using some very good subtle moves. And his hands are very solid.
 1B is Hines. Frank and Hines are a great team. Hines is almost unstoppable in the quick game. A great counter to our run game.
 Both are entering their Prime.

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

Well he insinuated that he is retiring after this season...so getting a new TE will be necessary very soon. 

I’m not just referencing this off-season, the past couple seasons it seems Doyle has been overlooked because everyone wants a Kittle/Kelce type TE

5 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Grover Stewart has already been paid handsomely and still doesn't get recognition. People outside Indy barely know his name let alone the fact that he is on $11m a year, which is a lot for a nose tackle.

4 hours ago, TonyBungee said:

Kenny Moore.

Another good shout. Also top 5 at his position if you consider nickel corner as a separate position from outside corner, which I think is pretty reasonable.

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

1A for me is Pascal. He has turned himself into a very valuable overall contributor. He has learned the offense/how to read and attack zones using some very good subtle moves. And his hands are very solid.
 1B is Hines. Frank and Hines are a great team. Hines is almost unstoppable in the quick game. A great counter to our run game.

Pascal is a pretty good shout too. He's basically been WR2 the last two seasons, and had even been WR1 at times. Not spectacular but solid and reliable like a bunch of the guys that have been mentioned.

4 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Hines is pretty replaceable. The Colts have a top tier run-blocking OL that can open huge holes and knows how to get downfield. So it's not all that difficult to find smaller fast RBs that can run behind it and catch dump-offs in space...whether that's in the draft or off the scrap heap.

However, they really like Hines, so I think they re-sign him. And his contract should not be expensive at all. If a player like Ekeler got $6M/year...the Colts should be able to extend Hines for something like 3/$12-15M. That seems manageable.

You saying he is replaceable reinforced my belief Hines is underrated lol.  Hines accounted for 1232 total yards last year.  He is very good for a role player. 

Glowinski.

Everyone likes to bash him like he sucks just because he's the "weak link" on our O-Line that is otherwise composed of 3 first round picks and a second round pick.  I'm no guru, but I think he holds up pretty well - at least in regard to those that say he sucks.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Glow, so underrated he didn’t even make the list.

Now if you talking nationally it’s Moore.  Kids a stud that no one outside of the Colts fan base knows.

Exactly. If we're talking nationally, it's got to be Moore.

If we're talking by Colts fans, it's probably Glow or Pascal I think.

Stewart.  I'm gonna make a distinction here that he's the most underrated but not the most underpaid.  Anyone who can dominate a SOLID Tennessee line and stop Derrick Henry single handedly at the goal line deserves to be known.  Buckner taking the double teams has allowed Grover to take his game to the next level. 

1 hour ago, That Guy said:

Stewart.  I'm gonna make a distinction here that he's the most underrated but not the most underpaid.  Anyone who can dominate a SOLID Tennessee line and stop Derrick Henry single handedly at the goal line deserves to be known.  Buckner taking the double teams has allowed Grover to take his game to the next level. 

when buckner was out he looked completely different . i wonder if the reason he looked so good last season was because of buckner . dont get me wrong he was very solid and good in 2019 his breakout year but this year he took it to a new level and became a beast .

marlon mack is so underrated he is only making 3 million .  he was a monster 2019 people forget how good he was

10 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Pascal was going to be my choice as well. He moves the chains a lot, and hardly ever does he drop a catchable ball!

You can make a case for several, and depends on if you're talking Indy fans, national, or just plain $$....

Most underrated IMO

MAC - graded out extremely high, highest pass catcher catch %, led TEs in yards, only one drop, had some great intermediate to deep routes. Still everyone screaming for a better TE instead of simply more targets for MAC.

Willis - I know we don't ask a lot our SSs, but he's been a great value from the 4th round.

Pascal - I think most fans like him. He's not top tier WR and should probably be a depth guy, but he does a ton very very well. 

Glow - He's one of the best weak links on any NFL OL. 

Hines - I think too many people want to grade him as a typical RB, instead of an APB. He's one of the best APBs in the NFL.

Carrie - Great NB back up, and decent CB backup. In our scheme, we don't really miss a beat when Moore is out.

IMO, Smith gets plenty of recognition and respect,,,, and he'll get paid. 

Fools, its Jonathon Taylor by a long shot because this coaching staff does not believe in his skill set!!!  I see Taylor like a Derrick Henry 2.0, but for some reason we like to throw the ball 50 times instead of handing it off to a generational back!!  RUN THE DAMN BALL COACH!!!  Nothing like 80+ yds in a half only to abandon the run in the second half and lose the game!!!  SO UNDERVALUED!

8 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Fools, its Jonathon Taylor by a long shot because this coaching staff does not believe in his skill set!!!  I see Taylor like a Derrick Henry 2.0, but for some reason we like to throw the ball 50 times instead of handing it off to a generational back!!  RUN THE DAMN BALL COACH!!!  Nothing like 80+ yds in a half only to abandon the run in the second half and lose the game!!!  SO UNDERVALUED!

We were 9th in run %.... 

That means 23 teams threw it more (higher %).

Just now, EastStreet said:

We were 9th in run %.... 

That means 23 teams threw it more (higher %).

I'm getting the sense you don't believe in the JT hype train that only started since wk 11?  Try comparing stats since wk 11 and get behind this train!!!

4 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

I'm getting the sense you don't believe in the JT hype train that only started since wk 11?  Try comparing stats since wk 11 and get behind this train!!!

I believe in facts and context which you seem to hate.

I love JT

Archived