Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eric Fisher Visiting Colts THIS Week!

3 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

But will they reach a deal? Have to wait and see. 

I think on this one, it will be similar to Reich/Rivers and Reich/Wentz - the relationship between Fisher and Ballard will overcome any gaps in the financials and we'll have our LT of the near future.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a “check in” w Fisher the way we “checked in” w Jay Ajayi a few years back. He wasn’t ready physically and we basically said “ok we,lol keep an eye on you for when you’re ready”. 

the colts need this visit because if Fisher isn’t mending on or ahead of schedule they need to know and turn their attention to Leno ASAP. 

Especially w other teams still needing OT help (Carolina, Pitt, now Denver w James out for the year), the OT competition can heat up quickly. 

I just hope if we sign Fisher it’s similar to Villanueva. I’d prefer a multi year deal especially if Fisher needs to miss a few games to start the year instead of a one year deal where we don’t get to reap there benefits next year. 

would love. 2-3 year deal where all the guarantees are paid out this year. 

6 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a “check in” w Fisher the way we “checked in” w Jay Ajayi a few years back. He wasn’t ready physically and we basically said “ok we,lol keep an eye on you for when you’re ready”. 

the colts need this visit because if Fisher isn’t mending on or ahead of schedule they need to know and turn their attention to Leno ASAP. 

Especially w other teams still needing OT help (Carolina, Pitt, now Denver w James out for the year), the OT competition can heat up quickly. 

I just hope if we sign Fisher it’s similar to Villanueva. I’d prefer a multi year deal especially if Fisher needs to miss a few games to start the year instead of a one year deal where we don’t get to reap there benefits next year. 

would love. 2-3 year deal where all the guarantees are paid out this year. 

Agree 100%.  Multi year deal for me.  Don’t want to revisit LT again after one year.  If he passes his physical this week and is on track I would sign him right away and get him into our facility to complete his rehab.

43 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Agree 100%.  Multi year deal for me.  Don’t want to revisit LT again after one year.  If he passes his physical this week and is on track I would sign him right away and get him into our facility to complete his rehab.

Gee whiz, we have interesting options.

Inconceivable!  :jump:

48 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It would make sense in Fisher's camp to get a multi-year as well. He has a real possibility of this being his last contract, he'll want to make it count. If they come to terms, maybe first year having a lower base with bonus clauses tied to playing time. 

If we sign Fisher I'll love it. But I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer to have Charles Leno from the Bears. I just worry once you have a couple of big injuries that it could be the start of decline.but as I said, if Ballard signs him, that would be good enough for me.

So what's all that ish some of you were talking about doubling on edge and not drafting Tackle, huh? Lol Joking joking. Not really though. I do think this was the best way to go about it. 

We will be just fine with a past prime vet beside Q. We will NOT have been fine without adding to our DL group on the edge.

8 hours ago, Gigc said:

If we sign Fisher I'll love it. But I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer to have Charles Leno from the Bears. I just worry once you have a couple of big injuries that it could be the start of decline. but as I said, if Ballard signs him, that would be good enough for me.

Realistic opinions are that Fisher is not full strength until late season this year, at best.  Which means a band aid until then. Not a great option IMO.  Leno at least gives some hope that we don't have to wait next year to have a real LT.

5 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Unsure about this one. I don't think he would be ready to play.

Ready to play? By week one? I don't think that's the only criteria to look at here.

I'm thinking this is probably going to happen fwiw

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Ready to play? By week one? I don't think that's the only criteria to look at here.

I'm thinking this is probably going to happen fwiw

Right. I think the Colts are wanting to kick the tires and check him out. I personally don't see us signing him but yes my opinion of course. I'd be shocked if we signed him and he played more than 3/4 of the season.

Signing Fisher over Leno will require a strong, positive medical opinion and a leap of faith on the part of Colts management. Even then, it’s hard for me  to see picking the injured player over the healthy one. Why take the risk now that you don’t have to? In the end, you won’t know if Fisher will truly return to his old self for another half year or so. With Leno, you may not have the same potential, but you have a durable guy who can get the job done competently. 
My vote, which as we know counts for nothing, would be Leno. 

17 hours ago, Gigc said:

If we sign Fisher I'll love it. But I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer to have Charles Leno from the Bears. I just worry once you have a couple of big injuries that it could be the start of decline.but as I said, if Ballard signs him, that would be good enough for me.

My issue with that is if Leno was really that good would they cut him? You don't waive good LTs..Fisher was because of injury

9 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

My issue with that is if Leno was really that good would they cut him? You don't waive good LTs..Fisher was because of injury

As I read it, they cut him because they're over the Cap. Without cutting players they weren't even going to have enough to sign their draft picks. In fact, they may have to cut more than Leno. They cut him because they drafted a guy who will be less of a Cap hit and they think can play LT --- Teven Jenkins.

11 hours ago, richard pallo said:

They needed cap space.  It was him or Jimmy Graham.  They decided to keep Graham.  Leno is good.

Admittingly I don't know much about Leno so if Ballard thinks he is a better option than Fisher thats ok by me...

No idea why but initailly I had it in my mind that Eric Fisher was injured much earlier(thus I was assuming he's much further along into his recovery). Like someone pointed out earlier or in another thread(?), his injury happened the same day Dayo's injury happened. So... if we are counting Dayo's season as a red shirt season, why do we think Fisher will come back early enough to make much of a difference this coming season(maybe he's ready for the playoffs?)? I guess no two injuries and recovery paths are the same, but if anything I would assume the older a player is the harder the recovery will be. IMO @TomDiggs was very right to point out that it's very possible we bring him in to see how the recovery is going, but we don't sign him and just tell him "we'll keep in touch, keep us informed how this thing is going".

I guess lets see what those visits bring in as development. The way Ballard is pushing Tevi though I feel like he will play significant time this year, so the earlier Colts fans prepare for that possibility, the better.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

No idea why but initailly I had it in my mind that Eric Fisher was injured much earlier(thus I was assuming he's much further along into his recovery). Like someone pointed out earlier or in another thread(?), his injury happened the same day Dayo's injury happened. So... if we are counting Dayo's season as a red shirt season, why do we think Fisher will come back early enough to make much of a difference this coming season(maybe he's ready for the playoffs?)? I guess no two injuries and recovery paths are the same, but if anything I would assume the older a player is the harder the recovery will be. IMO @TomDiggs was very right to point out that it's very possible we bring him in to see how the recovery is going, but we don't sign him and just tell him "we'll keep in touch, keep us informed how this thing is going".

I honestly think that's the point of this visit.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

The way Ballard is pushing Tevi though I feel like he will play significant time this year, so the earlier Colts fans prepare for that possibility, the better.

I'm not convinced that is the case. I think there's a ton of pressure and criticism in the wake of not addressing LT in the draft and he has to publicly commit to the guy that is slotted in at LT1 at the moment. His statements about Tevi have been followed by "but we'll continue to scour the market", which tells me that they're not sold on him at all and will sign a FA if they can get an upgrade over Tevi.

57 minutes ago, Shive said:

I'm not convinced that is the case. I think there's a ton of pressure and criticism in the wake of not addressing LT in the draft and he has to publicly commit to the guy that is slotted in at LT1 at the moment. His statements about Tevi have been followed by "but we'll continue to scour the market", which tells me that they're not sold on him at all and will sign a FA if they can get an upgrade over Tevi.

Agree with last part about Tevi, I think we're "OK" if nothing else works on FA, but probably we're hoping that between Leno/Fischer we figure something out.

About Fischer, I really don't know what doctors can say about recovery speed, I think it's to early. For sure they're checking the severity and probability of coming back to form. 

ps: good to be back on this forum, I was out a few weeks, 100% now :)

1 hour ago, Shive said:

Agree. Tevi was signed as a potential upgrade at backup tackle. He’s a significant drop off from Costanzo and it’s a terrible idea to suggest Tevi, with his abysmal record of pressures allowed, would be the protector in chief for your new QB. The Colts HAVE to find someone better than Tevi. And I fully believe they will, hopefully by grabbing Leno, who is a gift from heaven if he drops into their laps. 

3 hours ago, Shive said:

giphy.gif

Jim Ayello reported Eric Fisher's visit with the Colts went well. 

I'm not looking too much into he left without a contract. If Ballard and company feels he could be ready by September, and his physical checks out great, they will sign him. When healthy, Fisher is a much better Tackle than Leno no question. 

On 5/5/2021 at 7:51 AM, 07dleigh said:

So what's all that ish some of you were talking about doubling on edge and not drafting Tackle, huh? Lol Joking joking. Not really though. I do think this was the best way to go about it. 

We will be just fine with a past prime vet beside Q. We will NOT have been fine without adding to our DL group on the edge.

You know neither Fisher not Leno are past their prime right? They are both in the beginning of the middle of their prime at 29-30 years old.... Either one could play at the top of their game for 5-6 years easily..... Only ? Is Fishers recovery.  Jason Peters had the same injury and was a top tackle in the league to age 37.... Fisher is a good notch below Peters talent wise, but he's by no means incapable of a few more pro bowls if recovered.... There was a reason he was a #1 overall pick, and the talent across all five of our starters would be insane.... If glowinski is  your worst starter on the line by a country mile, you have a damn good line.....

I say if they like Fishers medicals, sign him, and immediately send him on an all expenses paid trip to Germany to get some serious stem cell and PRP therapies for a month or so, and he'll be ready to go as soon as scientifically possible.   Let's go.....lol

23 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

I say if they like Fishers medicals, sign him, and immediately send him on an all expenses paid trip to Germany to get some serious stem cell and PRP therapies for a month or so, and he'll be ready to go as soon as scientifically possible.   Let's go.....lol

In a Covid world, international travel is the last thing on Fisher's mind. :) 

On 5/6/2021 at 10:07 AM, DiogoSales said:

Agree with last part about Tevi, I think we're "OK" if nothing else works on FA, but probably we're hoping that between Leno/Fischer we figure something out.

About Fischer, I really don't know what doctors can say about recovery speed, I think it's to early. For sure they're checking the severity and probability of coming back to form. 

ps: good to be back on this forum, I was out a few weeks, 100% now :)

Welcome back Diogo! 

9 minutes ago, JackOLantin said:

No news is kinda looking odd!?

I agree. They should have been able to check his MRI's, listened to him regarding how he feels, sat down and discussed it, agreed on a contract with incentives based on playing time, and let us know by now. Amateurs!!

Archived