Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 NFL Draft Day 3 Discussion Thread

This has to be the worst I have ever felt about a Ballard draft. Not saying it’s a bad draft yet because its too early. But I am feeling as down as I have ever felt about a Chris Ballard offseason in total.  What a let down of a draft weekend. 

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maurice Hurst.   2018.   Not top 10, but possible first rounder.   Went in the 5th to the Raiders who got three decent years out of him, and fir some reason they just cut him.   And he’s been signed by SF. 

The top-10 player with the heart issue was Montez Sweat in 2019.   Fell to pick 26, the Colts pick.  We traded down due to his medical condition.   He’s had two very good years.   Played like a top-10 player. 

I was actually thinking of Hurst. I thought he was considered a top 10 player. I did not realize he dropped that far. I thought he went in the 3rd.

Thanks for the information about him and Sweat. 

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don’t understand this draft at all. A QB? When you have no LT and already have Jacob Eason? This draft is going to yield one starter and a bunch of special teams players. Elingher might not even make the final 53. 

Ballard drafts and odd years :) 

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don’t understand this draft at all. A QB? When you have no LT and already have Jacob Eason? This draft is going to yield one starter and a bunch of special teams players. Elingher might not even make the final 53. 

We needs lots of quarterbacks in case our pass protection does not hold up. See... Now it makes sense. :D 

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Not a 7th rounder. Hurts was a second rounder. If we had a four game preseason Ehlinger will be preseason darling, based on Colts fans history. :) 

My bad, i was 100% kidding. I'm going to be ribbing on Carson quite a bit until he 'earns' that respect. Currently, i think he quit on Philly. I will support him because he's our QB, and i hope he crushes it but I'll get those digs in there once in a while haha.

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

This has to be the worst I have ever felt about a Ballard draft. Not saying it’s a bad draft yet because its too early. But I am feeling as down as I have ever felt about a Chris Ballard offseason in total.  What a let down of a draft weekend. 

My favorite pick of this entire draft for us was Dayo Odeyingbo.

He is a first round talent.... A legit first rounder. 

3 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

LOL. I actually like it. Sam has some things to work with. We don't know what we have with Eason.. I like Eason, but what if Wentz goes down? We need more than 1 option. 

If Ballard wasn’t so cheap he would have just signed us a low level vet to compete with Eason for back up duties.  Eason hasn’t even played a snap.  The new rookie hasn’t either!  Colts don’t know what they have behind Wentz.  Smh 

2 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Agreed. 

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I'm feeling the same way. I want to trust Ballard, but I just cannot see how some of these picks make us better. Not just immediately, but in the long term.

4 minutes ago, Shive said:

I'm feeling the same way. I want to trust Ballard, but I just cannot see how some of these picks make us better. Not just immediately, but in the long term.

The roster construction will continue till day 1 of the regular season. No one made the playoffs in March or April,  but yes we need a little more infusion of talent for the roster. 

Just now, Shive said:

They don’t. And I understand that it’s about long term projection but outside of the 1st two picks (one of which is coming of an Achilles injury), these are all depth players at best. 

And we’ve got too much depth and developmental projects now. Paye should start but we have like 4 developmental edge rushers now. Like who from this class is going to be on the roster in 2023?

Just now, chad72 said:

The roster construction will continue till day 1 of the regular season. No one made the playoffs in March or April,  but yes we need a little more infusion of talent for the roster.

I get that, but I think I just fail to see the vision at this point with all of the day 3 guys.

8 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

It is not over, Coltsman. Ballard will sign UDFAs. Looks like many guys have dropped. You will get someone you like. 

Can think of a lot of worse things then a late round QB to compete with Eason.

Most people on this forum have stated we need a 3rd QB. Why a late round guy is a surprise, I am not sure?

Is someone else taken at that spot gonna have a much better shot at a roster spot? Crap shoot. 

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Can think of a lot of worse things then a late round QB to compete with Eason.

Most people on this forum have stated we need a 3rd QB. Why a late round guy is a surprise, I am not sure?

Is someone else taken at that spot gonna have a much better shot at a roster spot? Crap shoot. 

I am good with it... When you get this late in the draft... Take a player who can help. Even if Sam doesn't make the team... He will push Eason. What's so bad about having Sam on the 53 or on the practice squad? I have no issue with this pick. 

7 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

My favorite pick of this entire draft for us was Dayo Odeyingbo.

He is a first round talent.... A legit first rounder. 

That pick didn’t really bother me. I’m all for bolstering the pass rush.  I was hopeful Ballard would take an OT in the next round.  Would have been nice if we got someone healthy who could help right away but Dayo is a good player.  However seeing how the rest of Ballard’s plan unfolded I am left underwhelmed with the totality of our draft haul. 

12 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Ballard's good drafts are in even years and poor drafts are in odd years.  Hoping next year's draft is a bumper crop!

12 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I hear ya. Definitely hasn't gone the way anyone thought. If someone had it down as 2 straight Des, a TE, and a safety, then the TX QB to start....(oh, and no early round trade backs), i'd like to meet that person for some consultations.

Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

That pick didn’t really bother me. I’m all for bolstering the pass rush.  I was hopeful Ballard would take an OT in the next round.  Would have been nice if we got someone healthy who could help right away but Dayo is a good player.  However seeing how the rest of Ballard’s plan unfolded I am left underwhelmed with the totality of our draft haul. 

Just playing Devils advocate here... Had we taken Darrisaw in the first.... Does this draft look better?

To me it would...

13 minutes ago, Shive said:

Yup. The immediate feeling I have today is, they're running it back and hoping Carson can be a Rivers + mobility which may negate the need for a decent LT. These moves all seem to be with an eye on the future. But again, we're fans not the GM, in November, we'll probably be saying "Ballard, you sum+B" with the most pride and affection for how his 3D chess has worked yet again.

Sucks the season is over all ready.

We came in with late 1st, late 2nd, no 3rd, late 4th-7th and we didn't get 6-7 starters. Who would've thought?

Lol at the run on long snappers though.

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

Yup. The immediate feeling I have today is, they're running it back and hoping Carson can be a Rivers + mobility which may negate the need for a decent LT. These moves all seem to be with an eye on the future. But again, we're fans not the GM, in November, we'll probably be saying "Ballard, you sum+" with the most pride and affection for how his 3D chess has worked yet again.

Yep!! :D 

4 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Just playing Devils advocate here... Had we taken Darrisaw in the first.... Does this draft look better?

To me it would...

An emphatic yes!!!

My reasoning is even if the pass rush was weak, we still won games on the heel of our offense with Rivers. With question marks at LT, I don’t think we can maintain that high floor on offense. 

If you want to become an AFC contender, can’t take 3 steps back one phase and 2 steps forward on another, which seems to be the direction I’m afraid we’re heading. 

Just now, w87r said:

Sucks the season is over all ready.

We came in with late 1st, late 2nd, no 3rd, late 4th-7th and we didn't get 6-7 starters. Who would've thought?

Lol at the run on long snappers though.

Just in case anyone is asking... Camaron Cheeseman was also... Not on my board...

But it looks like I am going to have to start scouting long snappers. :D 

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

To me it would...

In hindsight it  probably looks better with Darrisaw especially knowing Ballard was targeting the Vandy pass rusher in round 2. He could have still doubled up on pass rush by taking an edge prospect in one of the later rounds.  I did like the Paye pick though at the time it was made.  Just thought Ballard had a better draft plan to address some of our other needs. 

Archived