Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 NFL Draft Day 3 Discussion Thread

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Can think of a lot of worse things then a late round QB to compete with Eason.

Most people on this forum have stated we need a 3rd QB. Why a late round guy is a surprise, I am not sure?

Is someone else taken at that spot gonna have a much better shot at a roster spot? Crap shoot. 

It's just an odd pick. Ehlinger is essentially the polar opposite of Eason. Almost zero arm talent, but has the physicality Eason doesn't necessarily have. If Wentz went down, I don't see a guy like Ehlinger winning any games under center. He may be a less athletic Taysom Hill type, but I'll have to wait to see what Ballard says about the pick.

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Sucks the season is over all ready.

We came in with late 1st, late 2nd, no 3rd, late 4th-7th and we didn't get 6-7 starters. Who would've thought?

Lol at the run on long snappers though.

The announcers trying to talk up their skills set lol.

18 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

If Ballard wasn’t so cheap he would have just signed us a low level vet to compete with Eason for back up duties.  Eason hasn’t even played a snap.  The new rookie hasn’t either!  Colts don’t know what they have behind Wentz.  Smh 

You think it’s because Ballard is....   cheap?

Dear God.   Been a terrible three days.   :facepalm:

Just now, Shive said:

It's just an odd pick. Ehlinger is essentially the polar opposite of Eason. Almost zero arm talent, but has the physicality Eason doesn't necessarily have. If Wentz went down, I don't see a guy like Ehlinger winning any games under center. He may be a less athletic Taysom Hill type, but I'll have to wait to see what Ballard says about the pick.

If Wentz goes down, we are in trouble regardless. The team needed a 3rd QB and a veteran 3rd QB would make Wentz uncomfortable and also probably further delay the evaluation on Eason.

2 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

The announcers trying to talk up their skills set lol.

They tried for a second then started passing the buck.

Just now, JediXMan said:

If the Colts sign one of Okung, Fisher or Villanueva I’ll be a happy camper.

I think Fisher will be coming in.

We are the Achilles recovery capital of the NFL right now.

Mack

Hooker

Dayo

Next up Fisher

15 minutes ago, w87r said:

Can think of a lot of worse things then a late round QB to compete with Eason.

Most people on this forum have stated we need a 3rd QB. Why a late round guy is a surprise, I am not sure?

Is someone else taken at that spot gonna have a much better shot at a roster spot? Crap shoot. 

In most years and situations I’d agree with you.    But not this year. 

Carson Wentz needs a lot of time and attention.

Jacob Eason needs a LOT of time and attention.  

To me this is NOT the year for another younger QB, who by definition, needs a LOT of time and attention.   To me, this is the year you need a veteran in camp for all the obvious reasons. 

1 minute ago, Shive said:

And there's a WR for us.

1 minute ago, RNGDShobby said:

Another player I've never heard of :goodluck:

1 minute ago, bertjones7 said:

Colts just took one of the 2 guys i wanted - Michael Strachan WR huge athletic, prospect

Larnell Coleman OT is the other one I want

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

WR, Mike Strachan.... 

I don't have him on my board...

Hopefully they break him down.

Seems to have a nice background while no season last year.

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

I think Fisher will be coming in.

We are the Achilles recovery capital of the NFL right now.

Mack

Hooker

Dayo

Next up Fisher

Nicely done. I can relate to that because my bone spur is keeping me from stretching my achilles tendon too much. :) 

27 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Tevi cant beat out Q, no chance. Q is the LT.

Ballard said in the press conference yesterday that he likely won’t make guys change positions. We’re stuck with Tevi unless Ballard signs a better underwhelming option from what’s left in free agency. The best option available there is coming off an Achilles injury. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

To me this is NOT the year for another younger QB, who by definition, needs a LOT of time and attention.   To me, this is the year you need a veteran in camp for all the obvious reasons. 

I don't think Sam needs a lot of attention. He will likely spend the season on the practice squad. Emergency QB.

As I said in the quoted post, a vet would maybe make Wentz uncomfortable and that is the last thing we want and a vet would also take away possibly even Eason's roster spot. Again delaying a true evaluation for him.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This. Thank you!  

1 minute ago, twfish said:

That dude got some production, ready to watch his tape

He was almost exclusively a go-route, go up and get it type, so he's extremely raw. Has some solid traits, but he's a guy that will need a few years on the PS to learn the nuances of the position. At this point his game doesn't translate at all to the pro game. He's not the biggest, fastest guy at a low level of competition anymore.

3 minutes ago, Shive said:

I don't see him jumping Patmon right now, but he's definitely got potential.

We sure will sound like Pinocchio as a motivational speaker "you have got potential, you have got potential..." as we see our noses grow trying to make chicken salad out of....you know. :) 

5 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Ballard said in the press conference yesterday that he likely won’t make guys change positions. We’re stuck with Tevi unless Ballard signs a better underwhelming option from what’s left in free agency. The best option available there is coming off an Achilles injury. 

He actually hedged both ways if you read what he actually said....“Right now we’d probably leave the four guys alone,’’ he said. “They’ve all produced at a really high level, and we’ll work from there.’’

then this   

Ballard noted Tevi has “played a lot of football and he’s played winning football. So we’ll see as we go forward.

“We’ll create competition. We’ll continue to look at the market. We’ll continue to look in the draft and we’ll create competition and we’ll get the best five guys on the field that will play winning football.’’

thus leaving the door open because Tevi is not among the best 5, Chris Reed is significantly better (I posted in depth grade in an earlier post) and for Reed to start Nelson must be moved....

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

I don't think Sam needs a lot of attention. He will likely spend the season on the practice squad. Emergency QB.

As I said in the quoted post, a vet would maybe make Wentz uncomfortable and that is the last thing we want and a vet would also take away possibly even Eason's roster spot. Again delaying a true evaluation for him.

Ballard doesn’t strike me as the type of GM who would worry about damaging Wentz’s psyche by adding some competition. If signing a vet causes Wentz to go into a melt down then maybe he should reevaluate what he has chosen for his career. We have two inexperienced options now behind our starting QB. If Wentz goes down the season is basically over. I’m not understanding the plan right now.  

2 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

He actually hedged both ways if you read what he actually said....“Right now we’d probably leave the four guys alone,’’ he said. “They’ve all produced at a really high level, and we’ll work from there.’’

then this   

Ballard noted Tevi has “played a lot of football and he’s played winning football. So we’ll see as we go forward.

“We’ll create competition. We’ll continue to look at the market. We’ll continue to look in the draft and we’ll create competition and we’ll get the best five guys on the field that will play winning football.’’

thus leaving the door open because Tevi is not among the best 5, Chris Reed is significantly better (I posted in depth grade in an earlier post) and for Reed to start Nelson must be moved....

Interesting take and read on what Ballard said. Guess we will see how it shakes out. 

Watching a Mike Strachan game... He is very raw, and playing against some weak competition, but the first thing I noticed is just how much his body is very similar to A. J. Green. I am not saying he is that kind of player... He clearly doesn't know the route tree very well. It looks like they send him deep on a lot of plays... He goes in motion a lot too. He is a big WR! He has some speed too. He needs lots of work, but from the little I watched, he has some traits. 

2 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Interesting take and read on what Ballard said. Guess we will see how it shakes out. 

It could get even more interesting in coming weeks and months, there is always going to be some uneasiness when a position like LT isnt fully filled. Tevi has been very bad over a large body of work, Holden has been very bad over a small body of work, Davenport has better grades than both but back 2 seasons  last production. Reed was average last season a career best. He also left open the door for another potentially more expensive outside option.

3 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Ballard doesn’t strike me as the type of GM who would worry about damaging Wentz’s psyche by adding some competition. If signing a vet causes Wentz to go into a melt down then maybe he should reevaluate what he has chosen for his career. We have two inexperienced options now behind our starting QB. If Wentz goes down the season is basically over. I’m not understanding the plan right now.  

I agree with that about Ballard and every other position, however with Wentz and how last season unfolded, rumors were around that he took a confidence hit when they selected Hurts in the 2nd round. Why would you want to even risk that happening. Wentz is clearly the guy and no need to risk anything mental setting it back at this point.

Not sure what plan you don't understand? 

Yes if Wentz goes down the season will probably be lost, tends to be the case usually when your starting QB goes down. If so, we send our 2nd to Philly and probably have a top 15 pick. However, we don't know, perhaps Eason comes in and impresses and leads us to the playoffs. He is still an unknown and would continue to be with another veteran in the QB room.

Just now, holeymoley99 said:

It could get even more interesting in coming weeks and months, there is always going to be some uneasiness when a position like LT isnt fully filled. Tevi has been very bad over a large body of work, Holden has been very bad over a small body of work, Davenport has better grades than both but back 2 seasons  last production. Reed was average last season a career best. He also left open the door for another potentially more expensive outside option.

I am not too keen on the free agent options available but any of them would be better than the current situation in my opinion.  I like Fischer when healthy but he isn’t right now and we don’t really know when he will be.  Don’t know much about Okung but he may be the safest option because I already know I don’t want the former OT from Pittsburgh (Villanueva). 

Archived