Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 NFL Draft Day 3 Discussion Thread

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, w87r said:

I agree with that about Ballard and every other position, however with Wentz and how last season unfolded, rumors were around that he took a confidence hit when they selected Hurts in the 2nd round. Why would you want to even risk that happening. Wentz is clearly the guy and no need to risk anything mental setting it back at this point.

Not sure what plan you don't understand? 

Yes if Wentz goes down the season will probably be lost, tends to be the case usually when your starting QB goes down. If so, we send our 2nd to Philly and probably have a top 15 pick. However, we don't know, perhaps Eason comes in and impresses and leads us to the playoffs. He is still an unknown and would continue to be with another veteran in the QB room.

Put it like this. I’m now starting to think that Indy should have just kept Jacoby and let him back up Wentz. He isn’t great but at least a reliable backup who we know could come in and give the team a chance to win some games if a starter goes down. Also I don’t think he would have posed a threat to Wentz.  When you have a team that has playoff aspirations having a good experienced back up could be the difference between making the playoffs or just missing them.  Right now the only experience in the QB room is Wentz and two guys who have never taken an NFL snap.  

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

Tampa Bay has 2 picks behind us? 1 more trade down?

Doubt it, ready for this last pick and UDFA.

Udfa announcements are so much fun post draft.   looking up all the names etc.  good stuff 

7 minutes ago, Shive said:

Fairly similar to Dez, just a better 3 cone.

Dezmon-Patmon-RAS-17700.png?resize=806,5

I don't know man, I see the ghosts of Al Davis infiltrating Ballard gradually (investing in athletes over football players with production) and that sounds creepy as I type it. :) This is not just for round 7, btw.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

I don't know man, I see the ghosts of Al Davis infiltrating Ballard gradually (investing in athletes over football players with production) and that sounds creepy as I type it. :) 

The difference being we're taking them in the 6th/7th and not in the 1st. lmao

We're on the clock! Let's gooooo!

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

The difference being we're taking them in the 6th/7th and not in the 1st. lmao

We're on the clock! Let's gooooo!

We are doing that in Round 2 as well, based on past drafts. 

2 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Pittsburgh had a solid draft. I like the additions of Najee Harris and the Penn State tight end. They may get back to playing Steeler football. 

That is absolutely what I was praying for. I like the Freiermuth pick with Leatherwood and Dickerson coming off the board and we absolutely stole Kendrick Green.

1 minute ago, JoeThornburg said:

That is absolutely what I was praying for. I like the Freiermuth pick with Leatherwood and Dickerson coming off the board and we absolutely stole Kendrick Green.

Your prayers got answered I think. We will see how it plays out on the field. Your division is transforming into a beast of one from top to bottom! 

I always see so much stuff for Green, as he is from where I went to high school, it seems he is a good guy

34 minutes ago, w87r said:

I don't think Sam needs a lot of attention. He will likely spend the season on the practice squad. Emergency QB.

As I said in the quoted post, a vet would maybe make Wentz uncomfortable and that is the last thing we want and a vet would also take away possibly even Eason's roster spot. Again delaying a true evaluation for him.

I don’t subscribe to the thinking a vet will make Wentz nervous.   And I especially don’t think that’s the case with the current batch of vet QBs.   There’s not much out there.   You want the vet for his mind, as much as his arm.

As for the rookie...   I know he’ll be on the PS. But he will need at least some time and attention.   I just think this is the wrong year for that.  

I like the Fries pick at this point in the draft.  Another good athlete with a lot of experience.

For next year, Zion Nelson has improved a ton and put on like 60lbs, but still needs a lot of work.  He didn't dominate in the spring game.  Has all the physical traits but hoping he stays all 4 years at Miami

4 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Maybe Nelson wont be moved after all Fries best LT in the house already...hmmmm

Unless someone suggests moving Nelson to LT and putting Fries in at G.

You think someone will think that?  Anyone?

three... two... one...

8 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I always see so much stuff for Green, as he is from where I went to high school, it seems he is a good guy

The thing I am happy about is they went after an interior guy before addressing tackle. I personally liked Leatherwood as a G/T tweener on the left side as our LG last year was omgwtf horrid. they were playing with 4 guys on the line all year and you could also tell Pouncey was just out of gas. Villanueva didn't look great last year either but all things considered he had zero help on the left side all season, so the times he was getting beat 1v1 are a bit more understandable. 

Plus, defenses were just able to cheat on us since our RB corp was hot garbage too. Samuels is more of a fullback but the rest are just no damn good.

Just now, John Hammonds said:

Unless someone suggests moving Nelson to LT and putting Fries in at G.

You think someone will think that?  Anyone?

three... two... one...

Was being Sarcastic on Fries as our LT savior but does point more to Q at LT with Fries brought in for depth behind reed thats for sure

2 minutes ago, JoeThornburg said:

The thing I am happy about is they went after an interior guy before addressing tackle. I personally liked Leatherwood as a G/T tweener on the left side but our LG last year was omgwtf horrid. they were playing with 4 guys on the line all year and you could also tell Pouncey was just out of gas. Villanueva didn't look great last year either but all things considered he had zero help on the left side all season, so the times he was getting beat 1v1 are a bit more understandable. 

Plus, defenses were just able to cheat on us since our RB corp was hot garbage too. Samuels is more of a fullback but the rest are just no damn good.

That is why I feel Villanueva might be a good pickup for us because we have Q at LG. Plus he will be affordable too.

The thing I am happy about is they went after an interior guy before addressing tackle. I personally liked Leatherwood as a G/T tweener on the left side but our LG last year was omgwtf horrid. they were playing with 4 guys on the line all year and you could also tell Pouncey was just out of gas. Villanueva didn't look great last year either but all things considered he had zero help on the left side all season, so the times he was getting beat 1v1 are a bit more understandable. 

Villanueva right?  Please tell some of these Colts fans just how bad he was for you guys. I don’t want Ballard to go anywhere close to trying to bring him here to “solve LT”. 

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That is why I feel Villanueva might be a good pickup for us because we have Q at LG. Plus he will be affordable too.

I know for one, my man LO doesn't think he has anything left but I disagree. He's got less NFL miles on his body compared to other linemen his age. He had no help on the left side at all last year. Personally I hope the guy retires in black & gold.

I love the Freiermuth pick for the simple fact that he is a traditional tight end and not just an oversized split end. Love this draft so far considering how the cards fell. Plus I mean we had a lot of holes but considering that Pittsburgh always cheaps out on CB and relies on their pass rush, I'm not surprised.

18 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Pittsburgh had a solid draft. I like the additions of Najee Harris and the Penn State tight end. They may get back to playing Steeler football. 

I didn’t particularly like it.  Running Back in first round.  Meh, 

particularly as I understand it, their offensive line is not good.  Much worse than the Colts who seem to be getting killed for not going OL early.   Could’ve gotten Jenkins or Dickerson to help fortify things.  

5 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Villanueva right?  Please tell some of these Colts fans just how bad he was for you guys. I don’t want Ballard to go anywhere close to trying to bring him here to “solve LT”. 

I explained my thoughts on that a couple posts up man. I think he still has some good years left. He had a liability at LG next to him all year and Pouncey was just toast.

I explained my thoughts on that a couple posts up man. I think he still has some good years left. He had a liability at LG next to him all year and Pouncey was just toast.

I think he got confused because in one of your posts you wrote 

our LG last year was omgwtf horrid. 

He assumed you were referring to Villanueva. Who was the LG that you were referring to?

4 minutes ago, JoeThornburg said:

Ok thanks for the context.  Sounds like he may fare better on an O line with more talent around him. 

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I think he got confused because in one of your posts you wrote 

He assumed you were referring to Villanueva. Who was the LG that you were referring to?

Between Dotson and Wisenewiski, it was a train wreck. Wisenewiski hasn't been able to stay healthy for most of his career. They were even rotating Okorafor in at that spot to try to get something going.

Archived