Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 NFL Draft Day 3 Discussion Thread

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

If we evaluate current depth charts we can see what bottom end roster players arent likely secure in their spots and could be replaceable and thus what positions we take

3rd TE- Noah Togiai/Farrod Grren/Jordan Thomas---Yep we are drafting a TE

4th Safety- Sean Davis/Rolan Milligan---Again we are drafting  Safety to try and unseat one of these players

3rd /4th/5th/6th Linebacker- Adams/Franklin/Speed/Glasgow/Moore/Banogu perhaps----Total mess 1 maybe 2 drafted here

6th Wr- Patmon,/Dulin/Jennings/Nelson- Possible, top 5 appear locked in and honestly club seems to like Paton- 50/50

6th Corner- Tell/Teamer (Was moved from Safety)- Again possible, top 5 set with Moore,Rhodes,Carrie,Rock and Rodgers- 50/50

4th Guard- Jones,Eldrkamp -With Nelson possibly moving to Tackle now and Reed starting safe to say Pinter only safe spot 50/50

So   TE,S,LB,WR,CB and G all in play today it would seem.

2 for 2 on the day in order.....

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You had him ranked higher than 90?

Blue shoe posted this yesterday start of round 2.

Not sure what you see so funny about it?

53. S, Jamar Johnson, Indiana

Just now, NFLfan said:

You must not have had him ranked. Is that right? It is okay if you did not. Thank you. (Re: I. Smith-Marsette, WR, Iowa)

157. Vikings select WR, Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Iowa - BlueShoe Ranking 127

It was a value pick on my board. :) 

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

You must not have had him ranked. Is that right? It is okay if you did not. Thank you. (Re: I. Smith-Marsette, WR, Iowa)

I saw him as a 4-5th round guy.

Here's his excerpt from TDN:

Iowa wide receiver Ihmir Smith-Marsette can, for the right offense, be quite the steal in the 2021 NFL Draft. Smith-Marsette brings ample speed, return skills, and vertical receiving to the game, and his production at the University of Iowa isn’t necessarily the best indicator or how talented he actually is—especially given that his open targets were much too often left short or hung in the air long enough to draw defenders back into the play. Smith-Marsette brings a track background to the field and it shows. He’s a graceful runner with easy speed and is at his best when he’s charged with stacking defenders vertically. The Hawkeyes did manufacture some touches for Smith-Marsette courtesy of tunnel screens, double reverses, jet motions and touch passes. He was highly productive on a per-touch basis and, despite some of his limitations in functional strength and size, should find success in a vertical passing offense at the next level. It is worth noting that Smith-Marsette was arrested on Nov. 1, 2020 for speeding and operating a vehicle while intoxicated, plus saw his playing career come to an unceremonious end with a celebratory front flip on a touchdown that resulted in an ankle injury that shelved him for the rest of Iowa’s 2020 campaign. 

I don't hate what the Texans are doing in this draft with the limited capital they had. Garret Wallow is a guy I'd mocked to us late before. He's a S->OLB convert that is solid in the box and covers well.

@NFLfan Vikes just took my sleeper TE Zach Davidson. 6'6" 240 and athletic. He'll have an adjustment to the speed of the NFL from Central Missouri and he's fairly new to the TE position. On the plus side, he's also your backup punter, as that was his position before they decided to play him at TE.

OK, we haven't drafted a RB or WR yet. I'm thinking we can draft both in the 6th round with Demetrius Felton from UCLA. Was a RB at UCLA but took reps as a WR at the Senior Bowl and really looked good.

And yes, another Senior Bowl guy. I think Odeyingbo was supposed to be there and Gransen and Davis both were :)

2 minutes ago, Gigc said:

OK, we haven't drafted a RB or WR yet. I'm thinking we can draft both in the 6th round with Demetrius Felton from UCLA. Was a RB at UCLA but took reps as a WR at the Senior Bowl and really looked good.

And yes, another Senior Bowl guy. I think Odeyingbo was supposed to be there and Gransen and Davis both were :)

This is where we take a LT now because you said that, :funny: Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV

13 minutes ago, Shive said:

@NFLfan Vikes just took my sleeper TE Zach Davidson. 6'6" 240 and athletic. He'll have an adjustment to the speed of the NFL from Central Missouri and he's fairly new to the TE position. On the plus side, he's also your backup punter, as that was his position before they decided to play him at TE.

Zimmer (and I) love versatile players. I read on the Vikings site that he punts. Maybe we don't have to pay another punter.

Btw, was Trey Smith drafted? I thought he was.

25 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

It's funny because he went over 100 picks later

That's going to happen every year... I don't know any board that it doesn't happen to. I've been doing this for over 30 years, and there are always surprises... Plus, we don't know how good a player really is until they play at the next level... It is all projecting. So if he plays very well then my grade will be good, but if he does not play well then my grade would have been wrong. No one hits 100% in the draft. Just the way it is. 

12 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

PFF has been way off on a lot of guys,  every year. 

The same thing can be said about every board. It is just the way it is. There are too many variables. Doesn't mean a player is not good or the board is right or wrong. 

15 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

....and like what was pointed out......the only board that matters...is Ballard's. 

So then in your opinion, no one else should have an opinion? Just trying to understand the logic?

Not that anything you say is going to sway me from what I enjoy doing, but trying to figure out exactly where you're going with that statement. 

Does Cade Johnson work for our offense? We’ve never had that Edelman/Welker type of slot WR chain movers. It’s a bit fuzzy w.r.t Pascal and Campbell roles and we use our TEs in the slot too but I would think he’s good value here.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Does Cade Johnson work for our offense? We’ve never had that Edelman/Welker type of slot WR chain movers. It’s a bit fuzzy w.r.t Pascal and Campbell roles and we use our TEs in the slot too but I would think he’s good value here.

It seems to me like Ballard is big on height-weight, especially this year... This could be the part of the draft where he gets away from size, and goes more to the tape, or it could just be his entire philosophy. Cade is 5' 11" 180'ish... We passed on Tylan Wallace and he was bigger... 

Archived