Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 NFL Draft Day 3 Discussion Thread

21 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

CASTONZO gave up 18.5 sacks his 1st 2 years, and 70+ sacks, hit, and hurries in year 3. He was very disappointing if that matters.

Curtis Painter and Andrew Luck holding on to the ball in 2011 and 2012 were a big part of it, IMO.

It is not a co-incidence though that Castanzo's 3 best years were with Quenton Nelson at LG and Reich as HC. Just goes to show you OL is a sum of the parts and bad combo play or communication with LG can affect effectiveness plus play calling of HC.

Bruce Arians, Rod Chudzinski, Pep Hamilton calling 20 yard plays constantly for routes didn't help Luck or the OL. Reich was a god send for the state of the offense - for the QB and the OL. Just a shame Reich wasn't hired in 2015 or 2016.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

The latter. Plus, there is still time and nothing is set yet. We'll see roster cuts, we'll see FAs. I wouldn't panic.

It';s a bit amusing, i remember how much fans discounted Castonzo. Seemed like most of his years, he was knocked until the last couple years. The Colts will be fine.

The QB is mobile right? lol

I am not really worried. I just think that they missed out on the 1st 2 rounds for a left tackle and I don't think that  It's likely that were going to find a starting left tackle this late in the draft. So that just tells me That they are OK with who they have already.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JoeThornburg said:

I think he's got another contract left in him. Maybe a 3 year deal. Guy should end up in Canton, but I am biased. He's an absolute rock.

He is great. 

I like your latest pick, Buddy Johnson.

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

That was over 4 years. He played 2 years at Rice, then 2 years at SMU. It's not a great stat regardless, but it's not like he has stone hands.

My bad - didn't do my homework, carry on... :D 

10 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Discounted for most of his career. I may be hanging with a different set of fans but FWIW most people acted like he was a mid tier to bottom tier LT. 

p.s. im not talking about his draft

His 1st 3 years his PFF grade was in the low 20's. For cause. His was slow off the snap. Andrew most often escaped to his left going whichever direction AC wasn't being beaten.
 Thank goodness he fixed that in year 4.

I recall him being 15 or 17 in year 4. He did get a little better after that and did grade 10th one year. He was decent his last few years, no doubt helped a lot because Nelson picked him up often to his inside.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

His 1st 3 years his PFF grade was in the low 20's. For cause. His was slow off the snap. Andrew most often escaped to his left going whichever direction AC wasn't being beaten.

I recall him being 15 or 17 in year 4. He did get a little better after that and did grade 10th one year. He was decent his last few years, no doubt helped a lot because Nelson picked him up often to his inside.

I think that's what the Colts are betting. They can plug in someone who will look better by dint of playing next to Quenton, and with the offense Reich runs.

We had a guy plugged in from retirement toward the end of last season, and the line didnt crack. With an preseason to get ready of it, honestly I think they will do a fine job of covering over the spot. 

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Also because Reich was hired and we didn't have to deal with long forming 20 yard routes of the Arians, Hamilton, Chudzinski days. Those help the QB and the OL. Remember what we used to say about Peyton and how he made the OL look better than it was by being the OC on the field and getting rid of the ball quick? It didn't really re-surface till Reich became HC in the play calling consistently, IMO. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JoeThornburg said:

I honestly had my eyes on Moses there, but Buddy probably fits in terms of character a little better . They both need work in coverage.

Dylan Moses is still available? There're still some good players left in this draft. Time will tell of course but wow.

15 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Because I don't need anyone's permission to talk about what I want to.

Not telling you what you can say.  I was curious why you were telling that to me at that time.  Pretty simple concept.

Just now, DougDew said:

Not telling you what you can say.  I was curious why you were telling that to me at that time.  Pretty simple concept.

You guys were talking about reaches... It made me think about Grigson... Especially since a few times he had me searching the internet for some of his late picks... Which is not something anyone else has consistently done to me. 

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

You guys were talking about reaches... It made me think about Grigson... Especially since a few times he had me searching the internet for some of his late picks... Which is not something anyone else has consistently done to me. 

Grigson had picked this CB one year. I thought it was a reach. I think it was in 2015. I don't think he played much. 

\

4 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

If we evaluate current depth charts we can see what bottom end roster players arent likely secure in their spots and could be replaceable and thus what positions we take

3rd TE- Noah Togiai/Farrod Grren/Jordan Thomas---Yep we are drafting a TE

{snip}

So   TE,S,LB,WR,CB and G all in play today it would seem.

Yup

55 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

TE Kylen Gransen of SMU

53 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

127. Colts select TE, Kylen Granson, SMU - BlueShoe Ranking 199

Yup

50 minutes ago, Shive said:

I'm not a fan of this pick, especially with some really talented guys still on the board. Granson is hardly the best TE left by a long shot.

Depends...

49 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yeah, I think he must be someone Reich wants for scheme? 

Bingo!

48 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I'm listening to the Draft show on Sirius and they're talking him up as a potential H-back that lines up at several positions.

Exactly. Versatile guy, according to Rick Neuheisel, who's son (Jack) was on SMU staff, and feels Granson could be a Kyle Juszczyk kind of guy (TE, H back, moves around) and be both end line blocker, but also a gifted enough receiver in space to win in 1 on 1 situations.  Pat Kirwan further stated the Colts used less than 1% of 21 personnel groupings last year. He said Never running any two back sets relieves the D coordinator and opponent D players of a lot of in week preparation. In addition, Jonathan Taylor had a FB block for him (Alec Ingold of the Raiders) at Wisconsin.  Maybe Frank is looking to get some 21 personnel sets/plays into the playbook with this guy here.  Here's his comp according to Neueisel-

We will see.

• Like 1

Just now, BlueShoe said:

Oh.  I was talking with Chad and recognized the concept of drafting for specific schemes and having it appear like reaches.  And he was saying that's what Ballard appears to do.  The difference being Polian had a longer track record where some of them worked and Ballard has not really had that yet, just the busts.

I don't recall Grigson ever reaching that much relative to overall ranking.  He just picked players that were bad.

You should do better homework before the draft.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Grigson had picked this CB one year. I thought it was a reach. I think it was in 2015. I don't think he played much. 

Yep! No one else had him on their board... That one got me too. I will look it up in a little while. LOL

The late pick that actually kind of worked out... He is still playing... that threw everyone on the internet... Was Denzelle Good... I think he was from Mars Hills, somewhere deep in North Carolina.. LOL

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Oh.  I was talking with Chad and recognized the concept of drafting for specific schemes and having it appear like reaches.  And he was saying that's what Ballard appears to do.  The difference being Polian had a longer track record where some of them worked and Ballard has not really had that yet, just the busts.

I don't recall Grigson ever reaching that much relative to overall ranking.  He just picked players that were bad.

You should do better homework before the draft.

LOL. Sure buddy! :D 

1 minute ago, Shive said:

I really liked Jamien Sherwood. Box SS or 4-3 OLB that should be a solid rotational guy. Brevin Jordan to the Texans, which is unfortunate.

With Brevin, has to be his workouts that led to his drop. Numbers were worse than I thought they'd be.

I think with the right team he could have been very good, I'm not sure Houston is that team.

3 minutes ago, Shive said:

I really liked Jamien Sherwood. Box SS or 4-3 OLB that should be a solid rotational guy. Brevin Jordan to the Texans, which is unfortunate.

I am putting Houston on the clock, as soon as this draft ends... They need a lot of help. 

3 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

LOL. Sure buddy! :D 

Talking about reaches.  I don't recall Grigson ever picking anybody I never heard of that wasn't projected to go pretty close to where they were selected, within about 20 slots.

Over 4 years, Maybe TJ Green.  Maybe Djoun Smith.  He picked an OT I never heard of that ended up being pretty good.  Got cut because he wanted to go to his brothers funeral.  Played G for the Raiders I think.   All the other players were noteworthy.

But they were bad.   Polian picked players I never heard of, because they fit the scheme.  That seems to be more like what Ballard does.

16 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

We had a guy plugged in from retirement toward the end of last season, and the line didnt crack. 

I don't know.  He was respectable, but I saw a pretty noticeable dropoff.  

Currently, the O-line is the identity of the team.  If plug in a JAG, you could drop from elite to good fairly quickly, and I'm not sure you have the QB or weapons to win like that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Talking about reaches.  I don't recall Grigson ever picking anybody I never heard of that wasn't projected to go pretty close to where they were selected, within about 20 slots.

Over 4 years, Maybe TJ Green.  Maybe Djoun Smith.  He picked an OT I never heard of that ended up being pretty good.  Got cut because he wanted to go to his brothers funeral.  Played G for the Raiders I think.   All the other players were noteworthy.

But they were bad.   Polian picked players I never heard of, because they fit the scheme.  That seems to be more like what Ballard does.

I will say that I strongly disagree, but this is a discussion for another thread. If you two want to keep talking about this, please start another thread.

• Thanks 1

Wow. I like this kid that the Jets drafted with the pick they got in the trade with my Vikes. 

@HOZER you must read the story of Alijah Vera Tucker.  He was talking about his mom cooking Bacalao (spelling ?). Looks like a good kid with a strong family. Just great.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Maybe Djoun Smith

That is who I was thinking of as being a major reach.

I think you have made your point. How do you like this draft? What players would you like to see the Colts draft or sign as undrafted free agents? :)

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

That is who I was thinking of as being a major reach.

I think you have made your point. How do you like this draft? What players would you like to see the Colts draft or sign as undrafted free agents? :)

Thanks for the redirection.  I don't follow into round 5 much, as far as who is left to pick.

Larnell Coleman and Josh Ball.  Both OTs, any time between round 5 and UDFA.  

Not sure what Corners are left.  Robert Rochell is probably gone by round 4.

As well as a real backup RB, so we don't have to see Hines in on short yardage plays.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, #12. said:

I don't know.  He was respectable, but I saw a pretty noticeable dropoff.  

Currently, the O-line is the identity of the team.  If plug in a JAG, you could drop from elite to good fairly quickly, and I'm not sure you have the QB or weapons to win like that.

I didnt think the line was elite last year....even with Castonzo. Still not sure why.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Thanks for the redirection.  I don't follow into round 5 much, as far as who is left to pick.

As well as a real backup RB, so we don't have to see Hines in on short yardage plays.

Ball already went Dallas. With the domestic violence issue, he wasn't even on my board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Thanks, Doug. I think I saw Rochell drafted but the other two may still be there.

I'm heading out to beach/dinner soon with some visiting friends from GA.  When I get back later, I'll be most interested in the UDFA signings (after draft phone lines will be burning up everywhere).

I'll try to sneek a peek on my phone here and there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks, Doug. I think I saw Rochell drafted but the other two may still be there.

Robert Rochell, the CB that takes risks, works with a stellar DL and aggressive D like the Rams where he went, great fit :) 

• Like 1

• w87r unpinned this topic