Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 NFL Draft Day 3 Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, JoeThornburg said:

Between Dotson and Wisenewiski, it was a train wreck. Wisenewiski hasn't been able to stay healthy for most of his career.

Thanks for clarifying that.

I don't know if you had seen my comment when we were doing the Mock Draft. I think the Steelers should have tried to retain Mike Munchak. Maybe he would have gone to Denver anyway. I wanted so much for the Vikes to sign him. 

I think Munchak is still the OL Coach of Denver. Teddy B has never had a good OL. I hope that will change. I'm looking forward to seeing how Teddy does with Denver. He did not play well in Carolina. 

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks for clarifying that.

I don't know if you had seen my comment when we were doing the Mock Draft. I think the Steelers should have tried to retain Mike Munchak. Maybe he would have gone to Denver anyway. I wanted so much for the Vikes to sign him. 

I think Munchak is still the OL Coach of Denver. Teddy B has never had a good OL. I hope that will change. I'm looking forward to seeing how Teddy does with Denver. He did not play well in Carolina. 

I liked Munchak. I think the reason they hired Klemm was twofold. One, he served under Munchak but also, I mean to get some new blood in there with Canada taking over play calling. He likes the outside zone run scheme. So, we need guys with a slightly different skill set to maximize using the perimeter, which is why I was high on Leatherwood and even Trey Hill despite his medical. We are not done rebuilding that line. All of those guys have gotten older and some overly expensive, with the exception of DeCastro. He's still a beast.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Lord..have mercy.  This dude takes a friggin QB.  What the :censored2:

Look at Eason an d the new guy. Who has traits/style that better fit the Reich/Wentz playbook? Because that is the playbook QB's will learn and execute, not the Rivers playbook. And those that do it better.

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

We sure will sound like Pinocchio as a motivational speaker "you have got potential, you have got potential..." as we see our noses grow trying to make chicken salad out of....you know. :) 

Uuqqkhi.gif?noredirect

I kind of like Ballard's picks. But what do I know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Look at Eason an d the new guy. Who has traits/style that better fit the Reich/Wentz playbook? Because that is the playbook QB's will learn and execute, not the Rivers playbook. And those that do it better.

Uuqqkhi.gif?noredirect

I kind of like Ballard's picks. But what do I know.

After calming down and processing the players I am starting to come around. We took good players ( including Erlicher) I just don’t agree with some of our strategy and not addressing OT sooner than we did.  The draft was okay.  It’s a C+/B- in my opinion. Not getting an OT who can start knocks it down significantly.  I also don’t believe we addressed linebacker or corner.  I do like that we put focus on improving our front seven and pass rush.  The tall wide receiver Strachan is intriguing but don’t know if he will adjust to a significant bump up in competition level.

I love that Pinnochio commercial by the way.  Lol

8 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

After calming down and processing the players I am starting to come around. We took good players ( including Erlicher) I just don’t agree with some of our strategy and not addressing OT sooner than we did.  The draft was okay.  It’s a C+/B- in my opinion. Not getting an OT who can start knocks it down significantly.  I also don’t believe we addressed linebacker or corner.  I do like that we put focus on improving our front seven and pass rush.  The tall wide receiver Strachan is intriguing but don’t know if he will adjust to a significant bump up in competition level.

I love that Pinnochio commercial by the way.  Lol

I don’t know if I would say it was a strategy to not address the line.  That’s just the way the draft feel.  It doesn’t always break the way you want it too.  That’s when good GMs don’t panic and over draft someone in a panic move to address a need and just trust their board and work it.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t know if I would say it was a strategy to not address the line.  That’s just the way the draft feel.  It doesn’t always break the way you want it too.  That’s when good GMs don’t panic and over draft someone in a panic move to address a need and just trust their board and work it.  

I think we could have gone without drafting a QB and TE and filled those spots with a veteran player in free agency.  Ertz might be available soon for example.  I don’t like having two inexperienced backups behind Wentz.   I would have targeted linebacker and CB in this draft instead. I get what you are saying about OT. We passed on an opportunity to add Spencer Brown in the 2nd round to double up at edge. It would have been a reach but you have to consider we didn’t have a 3rd so that was our best chance after passing up Darrisaw to grab a respectable OT prospect.  Not mad at doubling up at edge but I think we could have still taken another edge rusher later in the draft if we wanted to do that. So that’s what I mean about not really agreeing with some of our strategy or approach.  But I’m not paid to do this and I’m sure Ballard has a reason for the maddness. 

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I think we could have gone without drafting a QB and TE and filled those spots with a veteran player in free agency.  Ertz might be available soon for example.  I don’t like having two inexperienced backups behind Wentz.   I would have targeted linebacker and CB in this draft instead. I get what you are saying about OT. We passed on an opportunity to add Spencer Brown in the 2nd round to double up at edge. It would have been a reach but you have to consider we didn’t have a 3rd so that was our best chance after passing up Darrisaw to grab a respectable OT prospect.  Not mad at doubling up at edge but I think we could have still taken another edge rusher later in the draft if we wanted to do that. So that’s what I mean about not really agreeing with some of our strategy or approach.  But I’m not paid to do this and I’m sure Ballard has a reason for the maddness. 

What’s getting lost on doubling up on the edge spot was that the Colts viewed him as a first round talent with an injury.  So that’s why they weren’t willing to reach.  In their minds he was too good to pass on.  It wasn’t about doubling up on edge it was getting two first round talents.  

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

What’s getting lost on doubling up on the edge spot was that the Colts viewed him as a first round talent with an injury.  So that’s why they weren’t willing to reach.  In their minds he was too good to pass on.  It wasn’t about doubling up on edge it was getting two first round talents.  

I get it. I like the player from Vandy and didn’t complain about that pick when made.  I was hopeful Ballard would still adequately address the tackle need later.  But it didn’t happen. I believe our next pick was in the 4th round where we took that tight end.  That could have been Stone Forthsythe there for us. He actually went later that round so even less of a reach in that scenario.  We could have signed a TE like Ertz later and drafted a good pass blocking OT. I guess Ballard wasnt high enough on him yet somehow saw fit to use a throwaway last 7th round pick on a token OT Will Fries like that was supposed to appease us.  Insult to injury.

19 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well Dylan Moses went out into UDFA because of a medical. I get it and I do agree with you, but the other thing is now they know something about Houston for sure and the loss of Autry was a blow, but there was something there too. To me it says they aren't sold on Paye because of how raw he really is. He doesn't have a lot of moves and gets by on his athleticism but the ceiling there is freaking colonizing Mars. I really hope they can get him under control. 

41 minutes ago, JoeThornburg said:

Well Dylan Moses went out into UDFA because of a medical. I get it and I do agree with you, but the other thing is now they know something about Houston for sure and the loss of Autry was a blow, but there was something there too. To me it says they aren't sold on Paye because of how raw he really is. He doesn't have a lot of moves and gets by on his athleticism but the ceiling there is freaking colonizing Mars. I really hope they can get him under control. 

Listen to what Irsay said about both today.  They are sold on both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I get it. I like the player from Vandy and didn’t complain about that pick when made.  I was hopeful Ballard would still adequately address the tackle need later.  But it didn’t happen. I believe our next pick was in the 4th round where we took that tight end.  That could have been Stone Forthsythe there for us. He actually went later that round so even less of a reach in that scenario.  We could have signed a TE like Ertz later and drafted a good pass blocking OT. I guess Ballard wasnt high enough on him yet somehow saw fit to use a throwaway last 7th round pick on a token OT Will Fries like that was supposed to appease us.  Insult to injury.

They are calling the kid they drafted at tightend the perfect fit for Frank’s offense so I think they feel he will do really well in this system.  It’s not always whose the better player.  Sometimes guys can be system studs and if you think you can get one of them you do.  

I wouldn’t call the seventh round pick a throw away pick.  Don’t get me wrong I don’t think Fries is going to be the starter at LT but he’s depth that is sorely needed on the line.  On paper he fills the Heag Swiss Army knife role of he can play just about anywhere on the line if needed.  

None of this was about appeasing the fans it was about making the team better as a whole.  

• Like 1

Listened to Irsay's post draft comments.  A few things stood out:

- Just raving about the edge rushers we drafted.  

- LT - get the impression that we will bringing someone else in.  I'm hoping it is Fisher.

- In 4th & 5th rounds, Colts were interested in taking OT but teams jumped in front of them.  Just looking at the draft order, I'm guessing those guys were OT James Hudson in the 4th and OT Tommy Doyle in the 5th.

Also is it just me or did Ballard & Reich not seem nearly as excited as they were after last year's draft?

13 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Where are @stitches and @EastStreet? Any thoughts on the draft so far?

Sorry, it's Easter weekend here so I've been around family a lot and didn't have much time to post around the draft. 

The draft has been good, very exciting overall especially day 1. 

I loved some of the guys you took and you know that I always love taking a shot at a toolsy QB especially if you don't have long term solution on your team. Loved what you guys did at OL. It's possible you took top 3 OT and G in the draft and you even got additional picks with it. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

They are calling the kid they drafted at tightend the perfect fit for Frank’s offense so I think they feel he will do really well in this system.  It’s not always whose the better player.  Sometimes guys can be system studs and if you think you can get one of them you do.  

I wouldn’t call the seventh round pick a throw away pick.  Don’t get me wrong I don’t think Fries is going to be the starter at LT but he’s depth that is sorely needed on the line.  On paper he fills the Heag Swiss Army knife role of he can play just about anywhere on the line if needed.  

None of this was about appeasing the fans it was about making the team better as a whole.  

I know you’re right. I was just voicing my feelings and frustrations as a fan observing from afar. I definitely see the potential with Granson after learning more about him and watching some videos.   I’m not sure about Fries but we will see. I appreciate the added depth but what we really needed was a starter there. Tevi and Davenport can be the depth.  But things just didn’t fall that way for us. I understand that. That’s how it goes sometimes.  Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I know you’re right. I was just voicing my feelings and frustrations as a fan observing from afar. I definitely see the potential with Granson after learning more about him and watching some videos.   I’m not sure about Fries but we will see. I appreciate the added depth but what we really needed was a starter there. Tevi and Davenport can be the depth.  But things just didn’t fall that way for us. I understand that. That’s how it goes sometimes.  Thanks. 

Yeah I get the wanting a starter but the draft just didn’t fall that way it happens.

• Like 1

• w87r unpinned this topic
On 5/1/2021 at 1:31 PM, PureLuck said:

Actually, Granson is not a great special teams player, so I don't know what you're talking about. He's our receiving TE for the Trey Burton role going forward.

Much rather resigned Trey Burton and drated either DL Daviyon Nixon or OL Royce Newman that had experience playing LG and RT.   Newman might been able to move to RT and Smith to LT?

On 5/1/2021 at 11:59 AM, NFLfan said:

Where are @stitches and @EastStreet? Any thoughts on the draft so far?

Finally settled in on some opinions after researching some of the guys. Most of my initial gut reactions haven't changed. Getting ready to post a thread with thought and a poll. 

• Thanks 1