Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Safety Tom Zbikowski Says Colts Are Aiming To “Beat The Crap Out Of People”

Restored

http://profootballta...-out-of-people/

A year ago, Tom Zbikowski was biding his time during the lockout by beating the crap out of people in the boxing ring. Now he’s focusing on beating the crap out of people on the football field.

New Colts coach Chuck Pagano opened the team’s offseason program by giving his players shirts that say “building the monster,” and Zbikowski told Albert Breer of NFL Network that he interprets that as building a team that can “beat the crap out of people.”

Zbikowski, who followed Pagano from the Ravens to the Colts this offseason, will be part of what Pagano hopes is a very different Colts defense in 2012: A tougher, more physical defense that doesn’t resemble the defense of last year’s 2-14 team.

The arrival of Andrew Luck as the quarterback of the future will be the biggest story coming out of Indianapolis heading into the 2012 season. But upgrading the defense will be every bit as important to reversing the Colts’ fortunes.

-Build The Monster

I love his attitude...his heart...but unless we are having MMA/Boxing matches at half time I don't think we will be doing a lot of that and are only getting us laughed at. The same team that laid down and let the Saints run up record numbers. Lets just go out and play some football and see where we are at.

I'm all for a tougher, more physical defense. But I also want one that is disciplined, so they do not draw unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.

I hope we do build a monster defense, one feared for its tenacity and effectiveness. I want to have a defense that can exact a slow methodical punishment to opponents until they surrender in submission.

But I do not want to "beat the crap" out of opponents. That would be too messy for the grounds-keeping staff to clean up, not to mention the team's laundry issues.

Fine! Suspensions! No draft picks!

Hah, I kid, I kid. I would love to see a defense that can beat the crap out of poeple as long as their are no bounties in the mix haha . I'd like to see a knock your socks off defense like the Ravens which consist of hard hitting, run stopping, QB pressuring D that can force turn overs and make the opposing offense scared to run.

I'm all for a tougher, more physical defense. But I also want one that is disciplined, so they do not draw unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.

I hope we do build a monster defense, one feared for its tenacity and effectiveness. I want to have a defense that can exact a slow methodical punishment to opponents until they surrender in submission.

But I do not want to "beat the crap" out of opponents. That would be too messy for the grounds-keeping staff to clean up, not to mention the team's laundry issues.

I'm cool with one unsportsmanlike conduct penalty every now and then, but let's just not turn it into a Chip Vaughn fest where we are getting back-to-back penalties :).

This defense is one shutdown corner away from being very stout.

I agree. We slowly but surely are putting pieces in place to build a pretty good defense. I honestly would not be surprised to see our defense be ranked higher than our offense by the end of the season, even though its a little early to call that lol.

This defense is one shutdown corner away from being very stout.

I'm not sure what you expect from a 'stout' D. Competitive and aggressive, I hope.

I keep reminding myself that the Texans made the switch exceedingly well. I understand they had better players to work with, but it does give me hope.

This is all surreal. Who would have guessed 2 years ago that all THIS would be happening? When we field our team this year, we will have Luck not Peyton. We will have a former Raven as coach...a former Eagle FO person as our GM instead of Polian...No Caldwell. No Tampa 2. Lots of free agents. Players talking about kicking the crap out of other teams. Wow!

I'm not sure what you expect from a 'stout' D. Competitive and aggressive, I hope.

I keep reminding myself that the Texans made the switch exceedingly well. I understand they had better players to work with, but it does give me hope.

Oh it'll definitely be both of those things. We weren't as bad as the scheme made us look. There is absolutely no sense in playing your CBs so far off, when you have Freeney and Mathis rushing the QB. It's completely counterproductive. They will be more aggressive for sure, and as long as they do that, they'll be more competitive. I would honestly argue that we are very close to the Texans D in terms of talent. Think of it this way too, last year at this time, nobody thought they could make the switch and everyone pointed to how bad they were overall. Change up the scheme.....voila. Top 3 defense. Not saying we'll be that good, but I'm saying close to top 10.....and no more 12 minute drives.

dislike the talk....believe it is foolish.....look at how guys like Freeney and Mathis have played over the years...can't get more intimidating than that...but they never spoke like this.....slogans and talk are worthless....and somewhat embarrassing

Oh it'll definitely be both of those things. We weren't as bad as the scheme made us look. There is absolutely no sense in playing your CBs so far off, when you have Freeney and Mathis rushing the QB. It's completely counterproductive. They will be more aggressive for sure, and as long as they do that, they'll be more competitive. I would honestly argue that we are very close to the Texans D in terms of talent. Think of it this way too, last year at this time, nobody thought they could make the switch and everyone pointed to how bad they were overall. Change up the scheme.....voila. Top 3 defense. Not saying we'll be that good, but I'm saying close to top 10.....and no more 12 minute drives.

You're right about that horrible 'bend...' scheme. It drove me crazy how we'd have a 12 yard cushion on 3rd and 8. I would have rather played aggressive and occasionally give up the big one, then go through the slow death. At least that would have gotten the O back on the field faster.

Even Polian said on Sirius recently that Freeney wasn't used correctly until they fired the D coordinator and went back to the way they used him early on. He also couldn't come up with a logical reason that he'd work in a 3-4 either though.

If we're a top 10 or even top 16 D by the end of the season, I'd consider it a huge success.

dislike the talk....believe it is foolish.....look at how guys like Freeney and Mathis have played over the years...can't get more intimidating than that...but they never spoke like this.....slogans and talk are worthless....and somewhat embarrassing

It's football, it's sports...they talk. I see nothing wrong at all. I know when I went in the ring or on the football field I wanted to destroy people. Break them and break their will to play or fight back. That's just me though, what do I know ;)

Part of sports is psychological, just look at Reggie Miller he is the ultimate talker look at how riled up he got John Starks, and talking (he even said he talks 70 percent for his benefit and 30 percent to get into the opposing players head) got Reggie to play at a HIGH level football players are no different and some players need a fire lit under them they actually play much better I chalk it up to men being men and being ultra competitive

This makes me all excited inside! LOOK OUT ALL 31 TEAMS IN THE NFL!!!!!! THE COLTS DEFENSE, WON'T BE SOFT FOR ANY LONGER!!!! :) No running all over us now finally!!!! I like this new attitude of the Colts, now lets all take it on the football field, and I know this whole new era of the Colts will!

Was soooooooo sick and tired of being a soft bend don't break defense. I want to see some straight wood being laid out on the field. And blah on all that precision and timing crap on the offense. Line up and lets smash the ball down their d's throat! Secret weapon, Luck!!

I absolutely love this!!!Building the beast! Heck yea!!!! I don't expect it to be great right away but love the mentality and I don't mind a little trash talk. Football needs some trash talk in my opinion. I don't think he is causing any drama or issues with it. He didn't mention any names or people in particular. Nothing wrong with it at all IMO. I think its good to have some confidence and show some excitement. It doesn't embarrass me one bit , it pumps me up! I think its about darn time this D shows some life in it, I love Pagano. I can't help it, I just do!

We should all celebrate the end of the Larry Coyer era! Ha ha!!! Cover Nobody, Can't tackle, Everyone runs down our throats, No one is intimidated by Cover 2! Lol. I am so happy that is gone you people have no idea!

Reggie Miller did it best he talked ALOT but he WAS able to control his own emotions while the player he was against and sometimes even the WHOLE TEAM flew of the handle because he got inside their heads and it affected their play while Reggie torched um

Reggie Miller did it best he talked ALOT but he WAS able to control his own emotions while the player he was against and sometimes even the WHOLE TEAM flew of the handle because he got inside their heads and it affected their play while Reggie torched um

haha, yeah I remember when Spike Lee hecked Miller and then Miller came out and scored some 25-26 points in the fourth quarter and made sure to stare down and intimidate Lee after every basket. xD

haha, yeah I remember when Spike Lee hecked Miller and then Miller came out and scored some 25-26 points in the fourth quarter and made sure to stare down and intimidate Lee after every basket. xD

Spike Lee wife was with him that night and all Spike could do after that game was hang his head in shame and think to himself what have I done

You know Luck wont be playing on defense right?

So you want a Texans defense.

Got it. :)

To be objective, we still need quite a few positions filled to be considered a stout defense. We need at least one more run-stopping DL. Depending on how we use Freeney and Mathis, we need another good inside LB to go along with Angerer. We need another CB. But hey, that's what the offseason is for.

Talk is cheap, cough, Rex Ryan, cough...

I want a D that wins on 3rd down and gives our QB an average of 11-12 possessions a game at least, a D that generates good field position with an avg. of 2 turnovers a game. How we accomplish it, through guile or deception or intimidation, I don't care about that. We need more tipped balls at the D-line and active hands in the secondary that finish plays. Recover the forced fumble half the time, and complete the INT, you will win more ball games than not. :)

I love his attitude...his heart...but unless we are having MMA/Boxing matches at half time I don't think we will be doing a lot of that and are only getting us laughed at. The same team that laid down and let the Saints run up record numbers. Lets just go out and play some football and see where we are at.

We have a real coaching staff now! These are not golly gee we'll get next time guys.I think is safe to say if you choose to be soft or lay down,you we be gone. I have said it before these coaches are going to make a huge difference. Even with a young QB coming in, this team is going to be much better then people think. Go Colts!