Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

8 hours ago, IinD said:

I'd also love Watson, but I'm not giving up the farm for a mobile QB who's torn 2 acl's.

I think whatever happens all depends on if Ballard is safe with Irsay. Does Jim want to win now or is he ok with some losing seasons and allows Ballard to continue adding talent until a QB is there and we just roll with whoever until that time?

If the big names aren't available I'd just throw Eason out there and see what happens.

Colts have won one playoff game in 6 seasons. Some more losing seasons and this team is no longer even in the top half of NFL franchises. They would be mostly irrelevant. I can’t imagine Irsay going for that.

Ballard is definitely safe...but this is year 5 and I am assuming there is a bit more urgency than just waiting for the perfect opportunity to come along.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I don't think many expected him to be a stone cold starter now. Love and Morgan haven't seen reps either. But saying he's not ready to be a backup kinda drops a bowling ball on the toe of optimism. 

Ballard didn't say it was definite.   He didn't rule it out.   He just said as of this minute.    I think he's hoping to find out in April and May.      He still might end up deciding Eason is OK as the back-up.

I was only trying to impress upon those in the "Throw Jacob Eason in and see what we have" crowd that Ballard has crushed that dream for 2021.    But I wouldn't rule out 2022....  at least not yet.

6 hours ago, poilucelt said:

Ballard's in a kind of awkward situation--kinda "win now" with his non-QB roster, but sorta "rebuild" post-Luck. IMO none of the QBs listed (ignoring the parallel-universe possibility of getting Watson) give the Colts exactly what they need.

Personally I wouldn't give up a 1st round for Stafford at this point in his career, and I absolutely wouldn't give one up for Wentz or Darnold. I'm not interested in helping the Eagles or Jets solve their own QB problems, but if Stafford could be obtained with multiple lower-round choices (2nd round in 2021 and 2022? something similar?) instead of giving up a #1 then I'd be interested.

Nor would I spend #21 on an Alabama QB like Jones--yes, his accuracy at the NCAA level was excellent, but he was throwing to wide-open future 1st round WRs going against college defenses. I didn't see anything from him to convince me he can do the same thing vs. much tighter windows in the NFL, especially with his arm talent. I'd much rather have Wilson, but I think he would cost too much. Lance would cost less, and could one day be elite, but probably not while the current roster is intact.

I almost think at this point that, if Detroit wouldn't go for a Stafford-for-2nd round in 2021 and 2022 trade, then the Colts might be better off trying to sign Fitzpatrick and spend another year really scrutinizing Eason as a backup. My fear is that Reich might convince Ballard to give up too much for Wentz instead.

This. Though I could probably be talked into a 1st for Stafford.

But yeah, CB is in a REALLY tough spot. Layer on the fact that he doesn't have a 

longer term answer at any of Edge rusher, L-OT and WR-1 on the roster and he has

his work cut out for him.   

10 hours ago, CS Coltsfan said:

I don't want him for several reasons..

1. Contract

2 .Injuries

3. turnovers

4. locker room

I get #1 and I especially #4. #4 worries me. I think #2 & especially #3 would be greatly reduced with us, just like with Phil.

16 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Who do you want to become the Next Indianapolis Colts QB?

Watson,  trade Brisett,and Eason  and a pick or two for him. We don't even use them except for 4th and 2 downs. Then pickup a backup qb from the trash cans at the end of pre season. Mack,Taylor and Watson would make one hell of a backfield. 

Confused,   get Watson from texans. trade brisett and eason  and a pick or two from draft for him and whatever the hell else they want. then pick up a backup qb from the junk pile when they are all released before the season starts.   3  very good runners in the backfield. throw the ball when we cant run.  hope this helps. Maybe not a good idea, maybe a good idea.  We are paying 2 qbs sitting on a bench watching someone play. we should not even need a qb if either brisset or eason was any good ? stop screwing around and get rid of them. 

Trade a conditional 2nd rounder for Darnold (start with 3rd and becomes 2nd once he becomes starter and starts for 8 games or something like that) and get it over with as soon as the Jets pick a QB.  1st rounder for Darnold, the Jets are not going to get that with any team. Since our 2nd rounder is later, I would be fine to give them our 2nd rounder straight up, now that I think about it.

Stafford, while he might be the best fit for the next few years, will not come easy. The Lions, if they play hard ball and ask for our first rounder and a future 2nd rounder, would you be fine with that? Carson Palmer is the only one I can think of that got traded that late in his career. In October of 2011, the Bengals traded the "retired" Palmer to the Raiders for a first-round pick in 2012 and a second rounder in 2013. I am thinking that will be the exact comparison the Lions will use, the more and more I think about it.

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Trade a conditional 2nd rounder for Darnold (start with 3rd and becomes 2nd once he becomes starter and starts for 8 games or something like that) and get it over with as soon as the Jets pick a QB.  1st rounder for Darnold, the Jets are not going to get that with any team. Since our 2nd rounder is later, I would be fine to give them our 2nd rounder straight up, now that I think about it.

Stafford, while he might be the best fit for the next few years, will not come easy. The Lions, if they play hard ball and ask for our first rounder and a future 2nd rounder, would you be fine with that? Carson Palmer is the only one I can think of that got traded that late in his career. In October of 2011, the Bengals traded the "retired" Palmer to the Raiders for a first-round pick in 2012 and a second rounder in 2013. I am thinking that will be the exact comparison the Lions will use, the more and more I think about it.

I’d rather go Jacoby over Darnold. 

33 minutes ago, conklincolt said:

Watson,  trade Brisett,and Eason  and a pick or two for him. We don't even use them except for 4th and 2 downs. Then pickup a backup qb from the trash cans at the end of pre season. Mack,Taylor and Watson would make one hell of a backfield. 

Brissett is not tradable. He is not under contract so if someone was interested (and that's a big if) why give up something for him when all they have to do is sign him. 

Eason? No. No trash can backup is wanted. 

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m not making your point at all.   Not even a little bit. 

There’s a disconnect here.   Jacob Eason was not supposed to be ready by now after covid blew up the off season.  I’ve been writing this for months.   Your expectations aren’t close to being realistic.   You need to stop thinking like a fan and start thinking like a General Manager.   Once you do that, things will fall into place and make sense.    

Beyond that.....   we’re going to have to agree to disagree.     Good luck.  

Fair enough. IMO though, if anything stunted Eason development with us it probably wasn't covid, it was playing behind a bonafide starter who never misses games in Philip, and a solid veteran backup in Jacoby.  He probably didn't any reps in practice, other than as a scout portraying the other team's guy. The team drafted Jacob in the 4th round, and dispatched former "Mr Irrelevant" Chad Kelly in favor of him. He was #3 and inactive all season, but kept on the 53 man roster never exposed to possibility of be poached from our practice squad, ala Jared Veldheer - that, more than anything probably raised people's expectations for him, I know it did for me.

I'm glad we never got to find out, but I wonder what would've happened with Eason had either Philip or Jacoby gotten hurt & missed time, or if Brissett were traded to some QB hungry team during the season: would he have then been elevated to the backup role, or would Ballard have acquired some journeyman QB to fill that role - had it been the latter, then maybe we would all view Jacob as merely a project who needs much more seasoning, vice a potential starter or backup.

In all of my stated preferences that Jacob be given an opportunity to compete for the starting job, it was always with the caveat that we also have a veteran QB who could potentially start games backing him up as a safety net, kinda like Fitzpatrick was for Tua & Miami.

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

If we got the good Brissett that we have seen little of I would have no problem. 

But can we trust the future on an unknown? 

To be honest I never got why Frank not one time give JB the green light on throwing a pass. There was a couple of times he should have put the ball in the air. The element of surprise was never used. 

21 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If we got the good Brissett that we have seen little of I would have no problem. 

To be honest I never got why Frank not one time give JB the green light on throwing a pass. There was a couple of times he should have put the ball in the air. The element of surprise was never used. 

He threw the ball a few times this season

36 minutes ago, csmopar said:

No thanks

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He attempted 8 passes for 17 yds. One of his passes went for 13 yds so 7 passes for 4 yds ?? 

I was referring to those plays where everyone just 'knew' that JB was going to run. 

With Frank being known as a gambler he never let JB go for anything but run for a first down. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

No thanks

To be clear, I am not a fan of Brissett as our QB or even our back up.  I don’t want him back. At all but that’s how little I want Darnold or Wentz for that matter

Cam Newton. He is back. His arm is sound. His running ability is as good as ever and he would be an All Pro behind our line. He is a former MVP, he has been to a Super Bowl, he has unique talents that other teams have to change their normal defense to cope with him. He was rusty last year but he showed more than a few flashes of the old Cam. He is still young. He wouldn't take draft picks and he should be signed for a reasonable amount of money. Get Cam Newton as soon as possible so that he can learn the offense and the offense can be changed to fit his unique talents.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Brissett is not tradable. He is not under contract so if someone was interested (and that's a big if) why give up something for him when all they have to do is sign him. 

Eason? No. No trash can backup is wanted. 

why are the colt's looking ? for another qb then if Brissett is a starter or any good at all . draft some corners,and D ends instead if we don't need another QB. Don't pay people and take up rooster space if they are not playing. thats Dumb. 

30 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Marcus Mariota, dude has a cheap contract and his play never really fell off. He just lost his job to injury and someone else balling out in his absence. He could be a winning gap fill until we find the right franchise prospect.

Mariota also signed a 2 year contract with the Raiders last March, so if we wanted him we'd have to trade with them unless they were to simply release him. 

For his part though, Marcus would probably relish the opportunity to play twice a season against the team that drafted, then kicked him to the curb in favor of Tannehill.

10 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Mariota also signed a 2 year contract with the Raiders last March, so if we wanted him we'd have to trade with them unless they were to simply release him. 

For his part though, Marcus would probably relish the opportunity to play twice a season against the team that drafted, then kicked him to the curb in favor of Tannehill.

His contract isn't that expensive might get him for a second round pick. Maybe throw an average player in that deal.

44 minutes ago, conklincolt said:

why are the colt's looking ? for another qb then if Brissett is a starter or any good at all . draft some corners,and D ends instead if we don't need another QB. Don't pay people and take up rooster space if they are not playing. thats Dumb. 

Mat I suggest that you look at the Colts history to find the reasons for a lot of things. 

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

no way would I give up a 1st AND 2nd round pick for Stafford (or any of the other QBs not named Watson). That's too high a price.

Realistically, given Stafford's age (33 next season IIRC) and recent injury history, and the Lions obvious rebuild situation (no matter what their new coach and GM say publicly) if I'm Ballard I offer my 2nd round picks in 2021 and 2022 and if they say "no" I say "see ya, and good luck vs the Packers, Vikings and Bears next season"

If Dak does hit the market (I know big if), I'd give him Watson money. Realistically, if we're going the draft route, I'd hope we can get Trey Lance. Kid has a huge arm and can run. If all else fails, sign Brissett to be the backup and have him compete with Eason.

17 hours ago, poilucelt said:

I almost think at this point that, if Detroit wouldn't go for a Stafford-for-2nd round in 2021 and 2022 trade, then the Colts might be better off trying to sign Fitzpatrick and spend another year really scrutinizing Eason as a backup. My fear is that Reich might convince Ballard to give up too much for Wentz instead.

I would like Wentz, but if they trade him they are still on the hook fir a boatload of Cap Money

The Eagles would almost be better letting him play this year to see if the earlier version comes back

However,

I would be happy with him as a choice

I tend to like Stafford better, and my number one choice, as he should have 5 years left in him at the same time we have a strong supporting cast

Give that guy a line,  with this team, and we can compete for a SB

He will cost us though

My last FA QB name, and my distant THIRD choice that would be cheap,  that no one seems to be is talking about is J. Winston.

The guy needs some intense coaching, to cut down on his interceptions, but he threw for 5100 yards

There are only two other QBs in the history of the NFL that have thrown for that many yards

With a strong running game, he wouldnt have to throw for that many yards.

He would be a low risk option that could allow Eason to develop but also be a viable option if he cuts his interceptions

He is a guy that  wouldnt cost us any draft picks

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I would like Wentz, but if they trade him they are still on the hook fir a boatload of Cap Money

The Eagles would almost be better letting him play this year to see if the earlier version comes back

However,

I tend to like Stafford better, and my number one choice, as he should have 5 years left in him at the same time we have a strong supporting cast

He will cost us though

My last FA QB name, and my distant THIRD choice that would be cheap,  that no one seems to be is talking about is J. Winston.

The guy needs some intense coaching, to cut down on his interceptions, but he threw for 5100 yards

There are only two other QBs in the history of the NFL that have thrown for that many yards

He would be a low risk option that could allow Eason to develop but also be a viable option if he cuts his interceptions

He is an extremely low risk guy that  wouldnt cost us any draft picks

50 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

However,

He will cost us though

He is a guy that  wouldnt cost us any draft picks

IMO Winston has an upside and a downside based on what I've seen of him in the NFL:

1) upside is Reich might be able to add a bit more RPO stuff to the playbook

2) downside is Reich might have to simplify the route trees in the pass offense

30 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

IMO Winston has an upside and a downside based on what I've seen of him in the NFL:

1) upside is Reich might be able to add a bit more RPO stuff to the playbook

2) downside is Reich might have to simplify the route trees in the pass offense

With this team, he doesnt have to throw every down.  He is mobile, has a strong arm, and could catch defenses that would try to bring up DBs to help stop the run.

That may be enough

Its a very low risk move,, and we could get our OT at 21. (And hold on to other draft capitol)

AND.......  

We could have a year to develop Eason as well.

There will be many options available

its either eason or draft another QB  i doubt the lions would trade stafford unless they had a luck type QB coming in .  If the lions take a QB in the draft they are gonna wanna sit him behind stafford .  Peoples jobs are on the line if they lose , no gm or coach is gonna wanna get rid of a pro bowl QB who is not even that old yet .  Why would they dump him for a unknown ? When the chargers dumped rivers it was because he was almost 40 and had the worst season ever going 3-13 , when we dumped manning he had a career ending injury and we had the highest rated QB almost of all time coming in.

I dont know why eason gets so much hate here its sad , he is a first round pick if he doesnt get injured in college .  He has elite arm talent not just a cannon but can make every single throw on the field . His biggest weakness is his foot work which he has been working on all year staying late every day . 

8 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

its either eason or draft another QB  i doubt the lions would trade stafford unless they had a luck type QB coming in .  If the lions take a QB in the draft they are gonna wanna sit him behind stafford .  Peoples jobs are on the line if they lose , no gm or coach is gonna wanna get rid of a pro bowl QB who is not even that old yet .  Why would they dump him for a unknown ? When the chargers dumped rivers it was because he was almost 40 and had the worst season ever going 3-13 , when we dumped manning he had a career ending injury and we had the highest rated QB almost of all time coming in.

the only way a Stafford trade makes much sense to me is either

1) Stafford demands a trade (which IMO he's not in as strong a position to do as Watson is) or

2) the new coach and GM decide "this is a total gut job, might as well start over" and think going after a new QB (Lance?) and accumulating more draft capital is the way to go (which may be why IIRC they gave the new coach a 6-yr contract)

25 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

I dont know why eason gets so much hate here its sad , he is a first round pick if he doesnt get injured in college .  He has elite arm talent not just a cannon but can make every single throw on the field . His biggest weakness is his foot work which he has been working on all year staying late every day . 

Because his weaknesses go deeper than just that. I’d love for him to be great but if Ballard has his doubts about him being even the backup this season then I’m very skeptical as well.

Archived