Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Plan is to keep Brissett.

Thunderbolt

1 hour ago, CanuckColt said:

Geez, I hope we can still get rid of him before the season starts.

If Rivers gets hurt and Brissett comes in, I am changing the TV channel and watching other teams until he leaves.

Kinda sounds liken you are not a Colt fan to me. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Colts fans new Bolt poster here or at least a "broken" Chargers fan....anyway.

While you are trying to decide on your QB situation with the Rivers signing and Brissett and do we draft a QB ? ......... Well .... 

My old team San Diego was in the same situation a few years ago. We ended up with Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, Doug Flutie and Cleo Lemon and held all 4 QB's on the team roster because they were all "that" good at the time. I think Cleo was practice squad'd anyway .... Use what you have as trade bait before the trading deadline during the season because QB's do go down during the season. Well that was our thinking at the time.

My thoughts are to let Brissett learn under Rivers for one year and if he does not "get it" then go to Plan B. Draft or trade and let Rivers tutor the brother for one more year and then think about saying adios to the Rivers clan.

I will say this .... you folks will not be disappointed with Rivers this year and I will be back to enjoy in your success.

TMan

12 hours ago, WifiGuy said:

Anyone know how much Mariota is getting to back up Carr?

Up to 37.5 with incentives, 17+ base

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Gotta love the bandwagon folks. First time on a rough road and they bail. 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Up to 37.5 with incentives, 17+ base

Gotta love the bandwagon folks. First time on a rough road and they bail. 

From what I read, it was only 7.5 guaranteed, and the 17.5 is base over two years (so around 8.75/year). The 20ish in incentives is what makes this look better than it is. It's what we should have done wit Brissett.

16 hours ago, ThinBlueLineColts said:

My personal prediction is Rivers ends up signing another 1 year deal next year. We lose Jacoby in FA then and draft someone shortly after to sit behind Rivers for a year. 

I agree Ballard  likes to sleep well at night and he thinks Brissett gives him the best chance to do that. 

9 hours ago, Trumpet_Man said:

Hey Colts fans new Bolt poster here or at least a "broken" Chargers fan....anyway.

While you are trying to decide on your QB situation with the Rivers signing and Brissett and do we draft a QB ? ......... Well .... 

My old team San Diego was in the same situation a few years ago. We ended up with Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, Doug Flutie and Cleo Lemon and held all 4 QB's on the team roster because they were all "that" good at the time. I think Cleo was practice squad'd anyway .... Use what you have as trade bait before the trading deadline during the season because QB's do go down during the season. Well that was our thinking at the time.

My thoughts are to let Brissett learn under Rivers for one year and if he does not "get it" then go to Plan B. Draft or trade and let Rivers tutor the brother for one more year and then think about saying adios to the Rivers clan.

I will say this .... you folks will not be disappointed with Rivers this year and I will be back to enjoy in your success.

TMan

Cleo Lemon! Dude is in second place to Babe Laufenberg for something related to QB names

11 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

Hurts ?

Isn't he a poor mans Lamar Jackson? Somewhat the opposite of Rivers? Reich won't have 2 offensive playbooks.  I feel hurts would require a modified playbook.

18 hours ago, WifiGuy said:

Anyone know how much Mariota is getting to back up Carr?

Yes...

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

From what I read, it was only 7.5 guaranteed, and the 17.5 is base over two years (so around 8.75/year). The 20ish in incentives is what makes this look better than it is. It's what we should have done wit Brissett.

Yes. 7.5 million fully guaranteed for 2020. 

In 2021, none of it is Guaranteed, but is set for 10 million + $100k workout bonus.

29 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I like it. A lot better "hedging" than JB's contract.

Not really even sure what they hedged in the JB deal. There should have been minimal to no dead cap space for this upcoming season...and incentives during last year. Instead, more than half of the gtd cap ended up on this year’s book. 

I am not an expert of signing extensions in September...so maybe there are regulations on what you can and can’t do...but what would have stopped the Colts from just giving him a much bigger base salary (and bigger per game bonuses) with some incentives for last season...with no gtd money this year.

You would be hard-pressed to find examples of Ballard giving out signing bonuses...yet he gave JB an $11M signing bonus.

Not to rehash this...but the deal just never made a lot of sense. And it created a potential (likely IMO) scenario where the Colts would upgrade the QB position...but be looking a big dead cap hit from JB. And that dead cap hit would make JB a sunk cost...meaning the Colts might just keep him on as a backup anyways...which isn’t ideal for JB...when he could be in FA finding a spot where he could compete for a starting job.

21 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Not really even sure what they hedged in the JB deal. There should have been minimal to no dead cap space for this upcoming season...and incentives during last year. Instead, more than half of the gtd cap ended up on this year’s book. 

I am not an expert of signing extensions in September...so maybe there are regulations on what you can and can’t do...but what would have stopped the Colts from just giving him a much bigger base salary (and bigger per game bonuses) with some incentives for last season...with no gtd money this year.

You would be hard-pressed to find examples of Ballard giving out signing bonuses...yet he gave JB an $11M signing bonus.

Not to rehash this...but the deal just never made a lot of sense. And it created a potential (likely IMO) scenario where the Colts would upgrade the QB position...but be looking a big dead cap hit from JB. And that dead cap hit would make JB a sunk cost...meaning the Colts might just keep him on as a backup anyways...which isn’t ideal for JB...when he could be in FA finding a spot where he could compete for a starting job.

I agree, but a few here like Restored think it was a good deal, or a good hedge... 

I don't really care about the money, I care about opportunity potentially lost because of it.

Just read where the Panthers are going to release Cam today.  I wonder if the Colts would consider signing him to a contract that would be less than JBs current deal and releasing JB.  He would be signing for backup money not starter money.  Not a bad fall back if he's healthy.  There is always the Pats for him but I'm not sure I see him and BB together.  

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Just read where the Panthers are going to release Cam today.  I wonder if the Colts would consider signing him to a contract that would be less than JBs current deal and releasing JB.  He would be signing for backup money not starter money.  Not a bad fall back if he's healthy.  There is always the Pats for him but I'm not sure I see him and BB together.  

NO

Cam has an injury history and a skill set that very few teams can use. Add that to the fact that there's no more starting spots open and you can see the problem. The Saints might take him for a 1 year 7 million deal if he passes a physical, and at this stage in his career getting 7 million to sit behind a starter isn't a bad gig..

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Releasing JB still costs 12.5 million on the cap.   Signing cam for 7-9 million would be $19.5 to $21.5 million against the cap.  Keeping JB costs $21.3 million against the cap.  Essentially no cap savings, just swapping names, an injured Cam for ineffective JB.

Second, getting team physicals by team doctors is nearly impossible right now. And teams are wary of outside physicals.  They are looking at football physical fitness capability, not general health.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I agree, but a few here like Restored think it was a good deal, or a good hedge... 

I don't really care about the money, I care about opportunity potentially lost because of it.

I am a reasonable and objective person...so I have looked at the deal from different perspectives (including my own evaluation of JB)...and my opinion varied from not liking it to hating it.

JB got a raise...and the locker room liked it...so good optics all around. But outside of those intangible benefits...seemed like a bad gamble (from a guy who doesn't seem to prone to taking bad gambles)...that really gained the team nothing for the risk it was taking.

I have argued this from the moment it happened...so this isn't hindsight. And since they just signed a 38 year-old Phillip Rivers for $25M to replace JB next season...I have no reason to change my viewpoint.

I think it's one thing to argue the merit of the deal when it happened (though I would disagree)...but I don't see how anyone can argue that it was a success and that the ends justified the means. But I learned several months back...that I am not going to change anyone's mind on this...so I will quit rehashing it.

Instead, now we can discuss the nonexistent merits of keeping JB this year.

5 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Isn't he a poor mans Lamar Jackson? Somewhat the opposite of Rivers? Reich won't have 2 offensive playbooks.  I feel hurts would require a modified playbook.

Yes...

Yes. 7.5 million fully guaranteed for 2020. 

In 2021, none of it is Guaranteed, but is set for 10 million + $100k workout bonus.

I have thought the same thing after they signed Rivers. Everyone thought they would look for a mobile QB at 13  or trade up to 3-4 (HAHA)  for Love.   But look who they go with instead? 

Mr Stiffy.  Maybe Reich isn't looking for a mobile run around QB.  When he said extend plays maybe he meant being quick enough to get to the 3+ read without throwing a bounce pass.

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

I am a reasonable and objective person...so I have looked at the deal from different perspectives (including my own evaluation of JB)...and my opinion varied from not liking it to hating it.

JB got a raise...and the locker room liked it...so good optics all around. But outside of those intangible benefits...seemed like a bad gamble (from a guy who doesn't seem to prone to taking bad gambles)...that really gained the team nothing for the risk it was taking.

I have argued this from the moment it happened...so this isn't hindsight. And since they just signed a 38 year-old Phillip Rivers for $25M to replace JB next season...I have no reason to change my viewpoint.

I think it's one thing to argue the merit of the deal when it happened (though I would disagree)...but I don't see how anyone can argue that it was a success and that the ends justified the means. But I learned several months back...that I am not going to change anyone's mind on this...so I will quit rehashing it.

Instead, now we can discuss the nonexistent merits of keeping JB this year.

I agree. I was OK at first given our cap situation, but didn't think our cap would have fluxed this much this year. And yes, anyone thinking it was a success is not really worth debating... I'll follow your wisdom... 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I agree. I was OK at first given our cap situation, but didn't think our cap would have fluxed this much this year. And yes, anyone thinking it was a success is not really worth debating... I'll follow your wisdom... 

Don't think anyone is arguing it was a  success.  But they took a chance and it wasn't what they hoped .  They need a backup, they made their bed and now lying in it.   Not sure why everyone is SOOOOOO worried about that contract!!!!  Ballard obviously isn't or he wouldn't have made it.  He wasnt going to spend every dollar he had on FA this yr anyway. Jeesh. 

Anyway you slice it he knows more than all of us put together.

29 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

Don't think anyone is arguing it was a  success.  But they took a chance and it wasn't what they hoped .  They need a backup, they made their bed and now lying in it.   Not sure why everyone is SOOOOOO worried about that contract!!!!  Ballard obviously isn't or he wouldn't have made it.  He wasnt going to spend every dollar he had on FA this yr anyway. Jeesh. 

Anyway you slice it he knows more than all of us put together.

This whole Ballard is incapable of making a mistake stuff is just silly, regardless if he knows more than us or not. All GMs know more than us, and they screw up all the time. This is his first stint as GM and everybody makes mistakes... More experienced GMs make bad decisions all the time and get fired every year. He just cut Desir in what was reported as a cost cutting measure, so obviously money has become an issue if you're cutting a top 3 CB on your team. In short, people find the current spend to be wasteful and a bad deal. And it is.

2 minutes ago, Superfly said:

I just confused what a “special guy” is in regards to Ballard. 

I'm starting to think "special" is code for oops we overpaid.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I'm starting to think "special" is code for oops we overpaid.

Agreed! The last thing you want to do after prematurely talking a player up as “a special talent” and give them a big raise, is cut them the following season.  

This whole Ballard is incapable of making a mistake stuff is just silly, regardless if he knows more than us or not. All GMs know more than us, and they screw up all the time. This is his first stint as GM and everybody makes mistakes... More experienced GMs make bad decisions all the time and get fired every year. He just cut Desir in what was reported as a cost cutting measure, so obviously money has become an issue if you're cutting a top 3 CB on your team. In short, people find the current spend to be wasteful and a bad deal. And it is.

NO one is saying he wont make a mistake.  He will but it won't be a catastrophic a mistake as most on this board would make. Agree?

BUT . of course none of us are privy to why Desir was cut.  Might have been money might have been another reason Agree?

Theres a chance they have their eye on someone else.  Agree?

The Colts are already better going into 2020 than they were going into 2019. Agree?

Irsay doesn't seem to have a problem with the fact that Ballard has kept JB, or cut Desire, or traded 13.    

Any chance they have an agenda for this season?

I get it , it's the offseason, nothing more to do but nit pick.

I think they are fine and happy with the JB situation.  I think they understand that Rivers is 186 yrs old and might miss a snap or two, I think they want someone as a backup that could save a game or two this season.

I may be completely wrong and they cut JB and  if I am I will own it!    

I am guessing most on here will not.   

Aways remember we don't know everything that is going on.   Be open minded 

7 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

NO one is saying he wont make a mistake.  He will but it won't be a catastrophic a mistake as most on this board would make. Agree?

It doesn't have to be catastrophic to be bad lol... GMs get fired all the time who haven't made catastrophic mistakes. 

BUT . of course none of us are privy to why Desir was cut.  Might have been money might have been another reason Agree?

Theres a chance they have their eye on someone else.  Agree?

Keefer and a few others reported per team and league sources it was a cost cutting move. You can choose to believe them or not. And cutting arguably your best cover corner (not to mention we run a ton of 3 CB sets) screams cost cutting. I really do hope they have their eye on somebody. Ryan said he won't take less than 10M a year so he doesn't sound like an option. And you don't cut a guy assuming you're going to get an instant quality starter at 34. We had other options/depth when we drafted Rock last year and threw him to the wolves. We don't have depth right now.

The Colts are already better going into 2020 than they were going into 2019. Agree?

Not at corner... 

Irsay doesn't seem to have a problem with the fact that Ballard has kept JB, or cut Desire, or traded 13.    

Irsay doesn't comment.... 

Any chance they have an agenda for this season?

I get it , it's the offseason, nothing more to do but nit pick.

LOL... sometimes bad is bad.

I think they are fine and happy with the JB situation.  I think they understand that Rivers is 186 yrs old and might miss a snap or two, I think they want someone as a backup that could save a game or two this season.

I may be completely wrong and they cut JB and  if I am I will own it!    

I am guessing most on here will not.   

Aways remember we don't know everything that is going on.   Be open minded 

I'm sure they are ecstatic about overpaying JB, and having a gaping hole at CB. Good times!

It doesn't have to be catastrophic to be bad lol... GMs get fired all the time who haven't made catastrophic mistakes. 

Keefer and a few others reported per team and league sources it was a cost cutting move. You can choose to believe them or not. And cutting arguably your best cover corner (not to mention we run a ton of 3 CB sets) screams cost cutting. I really do hope they have their eye on somebody. Ryan said he won't take less than 10M a year so he doesn't sound like an option. And you don't cut a guy assuming you're going to get an instant quality starter at 34. We had other options/depth when we drafted Rock last year and threw him to the wolves. We don't have depth right now.

Not at corner... 

Irsay doesn't comment.... 

LOL... sometimes bad is bad.

I'm sure they are ecstatic about overpaying JB, and having a gaping hole at CB. Good times!

Not one of your best 

30 minutes ago, Superfly said:

Agreed! The last thing you want to do after prematurely talking a player up as “a special talent” and give them a big raise, is cut them the following season.  

The only thing worse is paying that special talent starting money while he holds the clipboard. 

I really wonder if NE would have taken him had we not cut Hoyer.

21 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I have been a Colts fan since the days of Unitas, Berry, Moore.

I just cannot stand this clown JB in a Colts uniform...he even has #7 which should be retired for Bert Jones and never given to a putz like Brissett.

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The only thing worse is paying that special talent starting money while he holds the clipboard. 

I really wonder if NE would have taken him had we not cut Hoyer.

I quote Ballard “We’re just not going to give him away and it has to be right for Jacoby!” 

Robert Downey Jr Shrug GIF by MOODMAN

9 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

Soooo .    who has been closer to what has happened you or me?  Own it dude

lol, wut? 

sure, you've been a regular Kresken.. lol

you've predicted nothing, only rationalizing what has been done. and at the same time, discounting what has been reported....

Archived