Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Plan is to keep Brissett.

Thunderbolt

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm fine with it assuming keeping him does not keep us from getting other FAs.

Feels like though his salary will impact us one way or another. They said cutting Desir was a cost cutting move, so now we're either signing another CB or need to use early draft capital.... which all impacts ability to take a QB or do other things if that's what the FO wanted to do.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You act like Ballard is not capable of working a deal for a QB? 

He has options. 

With River and Brissett on one year deals Ballard will figure it out. 

IDK. The glut of available QBs means more QBs available than starting gigs. Most, if not all of the obvious openings (for starter and backup) have been filled for the most part, with the exception of those we know will likely draft. All the places I though would be a good fit for JB have pretty much dried up. And his price tag (trade wise) is simply prohibitive. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

IDK. The glut of available QBs means more QBs available than starting gigs. Most, if not all of the obvious openings (for starter and backup) have been filled for the most part, with the exception of those we know will likely draft. All the places I though would be a good fit for JB have pretty much dried up. And his price tag (trade wise) is simply prohibitive. 

If there was a QB that Ballard truly wanted Brissetts contract would not be the reason he couldn't get a deal done. Money is not the only tool that is used. He has trade capital and he just showed us he is not afraid to use it with the Buckner deal.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If there was a QB that Ballard truly wanted Brissetts contract would not be the reason he couldn't get a deal done. Money is not the only tool that is used. He has trade capital and he just showed us he is not afraid to use it with the Buckner deal.

Ballard used 13 to lock in an all pro risk free DT. Our 2020 capital is now much diminished, and our cap space took a big hit. That does impact what you're willing or able to do. And I don't see Ballard sacrificing future draft capital for any existing options likely to be in the draft. 

Unless they plan on taking someone in the 3rd or lower rounds, doubt they do anything. And even if they did that, then you're either keeping 3 QBs active, or you cut JB then. Who knows, something could happen, but likelihood has decreased a bunch post Sunday.

4 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

He is making starter money to sit on the bench and he isn't at all good bonehead move...

He is the most capable backup to win a game for us. Right?  Name a rookie or backup that we could get who knows our system and could come off the bench and win multiple games next year if Rivers goes down.  A rookie drafted couldn’t. 

11 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

He is the most capable backup to win a game for us. Right?  Name a rookie or backup that we could get who knows our system and could come off the bench and win multiple games next year if Rivers goes down.  A rookie drafted couldn’t. 

Hopefully pre-season will make that answer clear.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Ballard used 13 to lock in an all pro risk free DT. Our 2020 capital is now much diminished, and our cap space took a big hit. That does impact what you're willing or able to do. And I don't see Ballard sacrificing future draft capital for any existing options likely to be in the draft. 

Unless they plan on taking someone in the 3rd or lower rounds, doubt they do anything. And even if they did that, then you're either keeping 3 QBs active, or you cut JB then. Who knows, something could happen, but likelihood has decreased a bunch post Sunday.

What I am saying is what you don't see happening may not match what Ballard will do. 

Like I said. If there was a QB that Ballard truly wanted he could work a deal by any means. 

Maybe he feels this team is good enough to use draft capital? 

One thing you have to keep in mind is Ballard beats to a different drum. You, me nor anyone else can speculate what he will and won't do. 

You forgot, he has a little black book. haha

4 minutes ago, ThinBlueLineColts said:

My personal prediction is Rivers ends up signing another 1 year deal next year. We lose Jacoby in FA then and draft someone shortly after to sit behind Rivers for a year. 

This is what I think also.   Not sure why everyone wants to draft a QB to sit for a season anyway.  Probably because Mahomes did.

If Ballard has a QB in mind for this draft and the position that he is willing to take him in mind and he's there, he'll draft him if not he'll pass on QB this yr.

I see no urgency in drafting a QB this yr though.  He has a starting QB for at least 2 yrs unless Rivers retires.

Actually if Rivers plays here for 2 yrs the Colts wouldn't need to address the QB position until 2022.    Rookie QB's do start.   

8 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

This is what I think also.   Not sure why everyone wants to draft a QB to sit for a season anyway.  Probably because Mahomes did.

If Ballard has a QB in mind for this draft and the position that he is willing to take him in mind and he's there, he'll draft him if not he'll pass on QB this yr.

I see no urgency in drafting a QB this yr though.  He has a starting QB for at least 2 yrs unless Rivers retires.

Actually if Rivers plays here for 2 yrs the Colts wouldn't need to address the QB position until 2022.    Rookie QB's do start.   

It could be something a simple as that there was no QB that drew Ballards attention this season. 

Thus the signing of Rivers for one year. 

8 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

Rookie quarterbacks don’t start very often and the ones that do typically are drafted in the top 10 roughly.   And most of the ones that do, don’t do all that well their first year or two.   The learning curve is steep.

Guys like Luck, who come in and start as a rookie and lead their team to the playoffs,  are very rare.   They are once Or twice every 10 to 20 years or so.   They are the exception to the rule.  

Everybody wants them.  

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I'm fine with it assuming keeping him does not keep us from getting other FAs.

Feels like though his salary will impact us one way or another. They said cutting Desir was a cost cutting move, so now we're either signing another CB or need to use early draft capital.... which all impacts ability to take a QB or do other things if that's what the FO wanted to do.

How many quarterbacks do you think the Colts will carry on the active roster and who are they? That will determine how may quarterbacks the Colts will sign or draft.

3 minutes ago, fahlman said:

How many quarterbacks do you think the Colts will carry on the active roster and who are they? That will determine how may quarterbacks the Colts will sign or draft.

That is irrelevant at this point. The roster will expand to 90 players in training camp. 

14 minutes ago, fahlman said:

Well, about half the league carries 2, the other half 3. The new CBA expands the roster options a bit (two more active, and flexibility moving up and down from/to PS), so guessing they will carry 3 to start the season at least. Honestly though, that doesn't mean all that much.

What iffff we are keeping Jacoby for now so we dont show hand if we are pursuing a QB in the draft and then we trade up to draft a QB. you never know but if we were to cut Jacoby the it shows that we would be drafting a qb

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That is irrelevant at this point. The roster will expand to 90 players in training camp. 

Of course it is relevant. Phillip Rivers, Jacoby Brissett and a quarterback drafted in the second round. They didn't sign Rivers to cut him, nor will they waste a second round pick on a quarterback they might cut when they could draft wide receiver, cornerback, or offensive lineman that would likely be a quality backup or possible stater. That leaves Brissett who has $12,500,00 in dead cap. I didn't even mention Chad Kelly who they brought up to the active roster late last year to keep him from being signed off the practice squad. Just because they can sign 90 quarterbacks doesn't mean they would.

1 minute ago, fahlman said:

Of course it is relevant. Phillip Rivers, Jacoby Brissett and a quarterback drafted in the second round. They didn't sign Rivers to cut him, nor will they waste a second round pick on a quarterback they might cut when they could draft wide receiver, cornerback, or offensive lineman that would likely be a quality backup or possible stater. That leaves Brissett who has $12,500,00 in dead cap. I didn't even mention Chad Kelly who they brought up to the active roster late last year to keep him from being signed off the practice squad. Just because they can sign 90 quarterbacks doesn't mean they would.

You don't know that Ballard wont use a 2nd round pick on a QB. If there is one he thought he wanted he would take him. You have to listen to what Ballard says. 

What you don't realize is Ballard does not think like a fan. He don't have the same thought process. 

36 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Rookie quarterbacks don’t start very often and the ones that do typically are drafted in the top 10 roughly.   And most of the ones that do, don’t do all that well their first year or two.   The learning curve is steep.

Guys like Luck, who come in and start as a rookie and lead their team to the playoffs,  are very rare.   They are once Or twice every 10 to 20 years or so.   They are the exception to the rule.  

Everybody wants them.  

Just looked this up.

I don't remember where each was drafted but most were drafted high like you said,   but there are a lot that came in mid season ish too.   

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-nfl-rookie-quarterbacks-htmlstory.html

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

I can't see the defense for this situation at all.  

I can even if I don’t like it.  The Colts need a backup so this tells me the following:

1.  They don’t believe in Kelly

2.  They don’t think any of the QBs out there are an upgrade over Brissett

3.  They don’t like any of the QBs in this draft class

5 minutes ago, fahlman said:

I am guessing that Chad Kelly is as talented as any QB falling passed the 2-3rd round.  

The Colts have stated that they " Fully Intend" to keep Jacoby Brissett.  Which leaves the door open for a team to come along and change their intentions with an offer they like.  That could come during the draft or if a team suffers an injury at the QB position.  As Florio would say:  for now he is our No2. QB until he is not.  

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I can't see the defense for this situation at all.  

Cutting him tips our hand for the draft. Right now, teams still have to guess what we’ll do. Cutting JB now all but ensures we’re looking to draft a QB

We'll see what the story is post-draft. Nothing to gain from moving on now. The true feelings the team have about Jacoby are already clear. They KNOW he's not good enough to make this a winning team. That's why Rivers is the QB. And if it wasn't Rivers, it'd have been Nick Foles. 

Jacoby is a special guy, just not good enough to entrust with the present or future of the franchise. As soon as they can get something worth the trouble, he'll be gone.

7 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

Not sure if that's a good idea. Where's the rookie QB fit in? 

Geez, I hope we can still get rid of him before the season starts.

If Rivers gets hurt and Brissett comes in, I am changing the TV channel and watching other teams until he leaves.

If the Colts shop JB right now, they have no leverage at all, and everyone knows it.  They'd be giving him away.  They may end up doing that anyway, but they don't have to do it now.  If you keep him, some other team's situation may change, and maybe they make an offer. 

Archived