Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft QB 3rd Rd

The earlier rounds will be reserved for best player available per their board. 3rd and after will include a QB. It makes sense because it will not look like a stretch and we will get a good QB for them to groom as a backup to JB. My current guess is Jalen Hurt from OU.  Football has changed and the NFL will mirror the college game however faster and QB scrambling, running the ball. I don't think it is an aberration that the old QBs are retiring.  

• Like 1

If Brissett rolls in to the season as the unquestioned starter, without a realistic replacement plan in place(i.e. a 1st or 2nd round QB) it will be the first time in 17 years that I don't pay for Sunday Ticket, will also be the first time in about a decade that I will make no effort to see at least one game in person. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AustexColt said:

The earlier rounds will be reserved for best player available per their board. 3rd and after will include a QB. It makes sense because it will not look like a stretch and we will get a good QB for them to groom as a backup to JB. My current guess is Jalen Hurt from OU.  Football has changed and the NFL will mirror the college game however faster and QB scrambling, running the ball. I don't think it is an aberration that the old QBs are retiring.  

Old QBs retiring you say? Hmm, that is quite odd for people to retire once they get too old to perform the work as well as they use to.

Just can't fathom it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheMiz said:

If Brissett rolls in to the season as the unquestioned starter, without a realistic replacement plan in place(i.e. a 1st or 2nd round QB) it will be the first time in 17 years that I don't pay for Sunday Ticket, will also be the first time in about a decade that I will make no effort to see at least one game in person. 

Cool.

just think of all the time and money you’ll save.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TheMiz said:

I buy both the NFL and MLB tickets. The rest of the package is pretty standard ... HBO , Showtime and the other "usual channels. Right now it's costing me a hair over $300 per moth. Direct TV is really a huge ripoff and I'm thinking of switching and "streaming" the 2 sports packages. I'm just afraid the technology might be a bit tough for me.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TheMiz said:

where are you seats?  I'm looking for something in Level 3 

3 hours ago, dw49 said:

I buy both the NFL and MLB tickets. The rest of the package is pretty standard ... HBO , Showtime and the other "usual channels. Right now it's costing me a hair over $300 per moth. Direct TV is really a huge ripoff and I'm thinking of switching and "streaming" the 2 sports packages. I'm just afraid the technology might be a bit tough for me.

Im  really a "WIFI GUY" .   kinda in my wheelhouse .   PM me if you want advice

As for picking a QB in the 3rd round,  I think if we like Gordon,  I think the 3rd round might be a good place to take him.

The question becomes do we like Kelly more than anyone who we might take in the 3rd or 4th round?   

We have lots of questions right now, but not very many answers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s, Brees is roughly two inches taller then Wilson. 

Brees is 6’0” and a fraction.

Wilson is 5’10” and 5/8ths.

FYI. A fact most people today don’t remember but Brees was a great athlete. I saw the game where he spiked the football over the 10 foot high GM crossbar. I looked it up to make sure and it was 2010 at Sun Life stadium. There are articles from Gruden and others regaling his athletic abilities. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

As for picking a QB in the 3rd round,  I think if we like Gordon,  I think the 3rd round might be a good place to take him.

The question becomes do we like Kelly more than anyone who we might take in the 3rd or 4th round?   

You ca'nt really count on Kelly to come in and play.  If there was any serious thought that he could have been ready, you'd think he'd have stepped in at some point toward the end of hte season.  He's a developmental QB that will probably top out as a backup QB.  The more likely scenario is that he stays as a developmental QB until he's replaced with a newer developmental QB.  Maybe that's Gordon if we miss out on the round 1 guys this year.

I actually agree with you.  I think that Jordan Love has been vastly over-hyped among draftniks, particularly those on this forum.  I don't think there's any way that Love would be drafted by Ballard over some of the other prospects that will be available.  Not sure who that'll be, but it'll be some of the following: Andrew Thomas, Javon Kinlaw, Jerry Jeudy, Derrick Brown, Mekhi Becton, Tristan Wirfs, Henry Ruggs, etc.  Too high of an opportunity cost to take a shot at Josh Allen Jr.  (Allen had a decent season to my surprise in Year 2, but I still don't see him ever being an above average QB.)  At any rate, it's unpopular around here, but I see us going with Brissett, Kelly, and hopefully Anthony Gordon of Washington St., and reassessing what we have after the year.  

BTW, if I thought Ballard was done assessing JB and Kelly and was certain they weren't the one, I think he'd go all out for Bridgewater...

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Off the top of my head..., 

Dak Prescott:  4th round.

Kirk Cousins:  4th round.

That's stretching 'elite' a bit isn't it... actually not a bit... a lot. they are both very average-ish starting QBs, who are good if you are paying them rookie contracts, but are probably not too good on franchise QB contracts(Cousins is on one, Dak will be on one...)

51 minutes ago, stitches said:

That's stretching 'elite' a bit isn't it... actually not a bit... a lot. they are both very average-ish starting QBs, who are good if you are paying them rookie contracts, but are probably not too good on franchise QB contracts(Cousins is on one, Dak will be on one...)

Well..     I’d say the only stretch is you calling them “very average”.    That doesn’t apply to either.

Now neither may be viewed as “elite” but I personally would be thrilled to have either as my starting quarterback today.   We would be a playoff team with either. 

Also...   when he became a free agent, Cousins became the highest paid player in the game.   Now, that’s what Prescott wants.   So the free agent market says the NFL thinks they’re not “very average”.   Not even close.  

Elite may be too much,  but very average is demonstrably false. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm thinking this is about right for Gordon. Of course, if he surprises at the Combine and at his pro day, he climbs into the 2nd round. But in the current environment, hes a 3rd rounder and should be there at pick #75. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well..     I’d say the only stretch is you calling them “very average”.    That doesn’t apply to either.

Now neither may be viewed as “elite” but I personally would be thrilled to have either as my starting quarterback today.   We would be a playoff team with either. 

We probably would be a playoff team... but being a playoff team should not be the goal. 

Also...   when he became a free agent, Cousins became the highest paid player in the game.   Now, that’s what Prescott wants.   So the free agent market says the NFL thinks they’re not “very average”.   Not even close.  

Elite may be too much,  but very average is demonstrably false. 

No! This is not how this works. Pay does not determine the quality of play. Average QBs get record setting money every time a new QB is due a new contract because the cap is rising. Every single average-ish QB has gotten record setting contract when the time comes - first it was Carr, then it was Stafford, then it was Cousins and Garoppolo(without having played a single season in the league), then it was Goff, now it's going to be Dak. Teams just don't want to lose starting level QBs and they pay them and the pay goes up every year because the cap goes up every year. People seem to think "average QB" is some sort of am insult. It's NOT. They are all good players and can win with enough talent around them and in the right environment. But they still are very average. They are still highly dependent players, which is alright when you have the extra 30M to plug holes in your roster around them before they get paid, but becomes very hard once they get paid. You will have no margin for error at all with QBs of that general quality.  

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

We probably would be a playoff team... but being a playoff team should not be the goal. 

No! This is not how this works. Pay does not determine the quality of play. Average QBs get record setting money every time a new QB is due a new contract because the cap is rising. Every single average-ish QB has gotten record setting contract when the time comes - first it was Carr, then it was Stafford, then it was Cousins and Garoppolo(without having played a single season in the league), then it was Goff, now it's going to be Dak. Teams just don't want to lose starting level QBs and they pay them and the pay goes up every year because the cap goes up every year. People seem to think "average QB" is some sort of am insult. It's NOT. They are all good players and can win with enough talent around them and in the right environment. But they still are very average. They are still highly dependent players, which is alright when you have the extra 30M to plug holes in your roster around them before they get paid, but becomes very hard once they get paid. You will have no margin for error at all with QBs of that general quality.  

No!   Average quarterbacks may get paid more than they’re worth,  but if you’re being offered money that makes you the highest paid player in the game, then you’re nit average at all.

Snd making the playoffs should NOT be the goal?   Then what IS the goal?   Please don’t say making the Super Biwk, because we both know there are only a handful of QBs that give you a great chance and each year only two are successful.  

I think we have very different definitions of who and what makes an average quarterback.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No!   Average quarterbacks may get paid more than they’re worth,  but if you’re being offered money that makes you the highest paid player in the game, then you’re nit average at all.

Snd making the playoffs should NOT be the goal?   Then what IS the goal?   Please don’t say making the Super Biwk, because we both know there are only a handful of QBs that give you a great chance and each year only two are successful.  

I think we have very different definitions of who and what makes an average quarterback.

List your best QBs in the league. Anything between around 13 and 18 is average-ish... You will see that at least several of your "average-ish" QBs have been paid record setting salary at some point over the last 3-4 years. I don't get why this is such a contentious evaluation. Ask @NFLfan if she thinks their QB is anything more than an average QB in the league. The point is they are not anywhere close to elite. 

Of course the Superbowl should be the ultimate goal. It doesn't mean I expect it every year or even most years. But I do think having a legitimate chance to get there should be a goal(you still need luck, health, good matchups, etc.). I don't think Dak or Cousins or Carr give us that chance, especially if you give them 35M+ salary. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

List your best QBs in the league. Anything between around 13 and 18 is average-ish... You will see that at least several of your "average-ish" QBs have been paid record setting salary at some point over the last 3-4 years. I don't get why this is such a contentious evaluation. Ask @NFLfan if she thinks their QB is anything more than an average QB in the league. The point is they are not anywhere close to elite. 

Of course the Superbowl should be the ultimate goal. It doesn't mean I expect it every year or even most years. But I do think having a legitimate chance to get there should be a goal(you still need luck, health, good matchups, etc.). I don't think Dak or Cousins or Carr give us that chance, especially if you give them 35M+ salary. 

Basing the value of a QB based on salary is faulty logic

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Basing the value of a QB based on salary is faulty logic

I know... A lot of it is teams just don't want to lose starting level QB and the value for starting level QB just goes up and up and up every next year because the cap rises. Also, another aspect is - a lot of those players get those contracts after just 3-4 years in the league and their teams pay more for what they think their QB can develop into in the future than what they are now. With some of them their QB takes the next step, and with others they don't and end up being 'average-ish' QBs on high salary... 

On 2/17/2020 at 1:54 PM, TheMiz said:

How I feel if Phillip rivers or Tom Brady play for the shoe!