Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft QB 3rd Rd

8 hours ago, Stephen said:

If Kelly  was the guy it would be a good thing  as we could draft defense and wrs

So many fans believe that we should show up next year with Chad Kelley as the QB for the Indy Colts? Did Chad even play last year? So this is the guy? Man I don't know where some folks get their football info from. How many starts has Chad started, let's begin there. And this is the future of your organization? "Uhhh, he's started 12 or so games." If not Chad then Rivers?

Please stop it. Not you directly @Stephen, but it amazes me how people think every team's cut players would be great as a Colt. Even a Starter. But hey Tennessee brought in Ryan Tannehill. 

4 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

So many fans believe that we should show up next year with Chad Kelley as the QB for the Indy Colts? Did Chad even play last year? So this is the guy? Man I don't know where some folks get their football info from. How many starts has Chad started, let's begin there. And this is the future of your organization? "Uhhh, he's started 12 or so games." If not Chad then Rivers?

Please stop it. Not you directly @Stephen, but it amazes me how people think every team's cut players would be great as a Colt. Even a Starter. But hey Tennessee brought in Ryan Tannehill. 

Lol yea I was thinking  if qb was already on roster we wouldn't  have to pick one, but who knows who will be there at 13

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 9:53 AM, Chloe6124 said:

There would be no purpose of drafting a guy in the 3rd round with Kelly already on the roster.

Um, no. 

On 2/17/2020 at 10:54 AM, TheMiz said:

If Brissett rolls in to the season as the unquestioned starter, without a realistic replacement plan in place(i.e. a 1st or 2nd round QB) it will be the first time in 17 years that I don't pay for Sunday Ticket, will also be the first time in about a decade that I will make no effort to see at least one game in person. 

Just as there are fans who will do the same as you if the Colts dump a bunch of cash on the wrong FA QB or reach in the first round for a QB. 

On 2/17/2020 at 8:55 PM, NewColtsFan said:

We have lots of questions right now, but not very many answers.

oh...there's a lot of answers around here....but they're mostly emotionally motivated, and severely lacking in scope. :thmup:

On 2/18/2020 at 5:11 AM, OffensivelyPC said:

Yeah, but back when Brees was drafted, teams wanted to put the next Manning/Brady out there.  The "scrambling QB," or whatever nomer you choose, in the league wasn't as entrenched as it is today and that's in large part due to Wilson.  

...and Fran Tarkington....and Randall Cunningham....and Michael Vick.....

On 2/18/2020 at 8:08 AM, Archer said:

I actually agree with you.  I think that Jordan Love has been vastly over-hyped among draftniks, particularly those on this forum.  I don't think there's any way that Love would be drafted by Ballard over some of the other prospects that will be available.  Not sure who that'll be, but it'll be some of the following: Andrew Thomas, Javon Kinlaw, Jerry Jeudy, Derrick Brown, Mekhi Becton, Tristan Wirfs, Henry Ruggs, etc.  Too high of an opportunity cost to take a shot at Josh Allen Jr.  (Allen had a decent season to my surprise in Year 2, but I still don't see him ever being an above average QB.)  At any rate, it's unpopular around here, but I see us going with Brissett, Kelly, and hopefully Anthony Gordon of Washington St., and reassessing what we have after the year.  

Spot on.

On 2/18/2020 at 11:10 AM, stitches said:

We probably would be a playoff team... but being a playoff team should not be the goal.

This has to be, to me, a most astounding statement. Being a playoff team is THE goal. 

What the bloody hell....

4 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

This has to be, to me, a most astounding statement. Being a playoff team is THE goal. 

What the bloody hell....

Being a playoff team is incredibly low bar in the grand scheme of things and it doesn't mean much. We could have been a playoff team with this current team and Jacoby as starter had Vinny scored 2 more FGs. It doesn't mean much. There are playoff teams every year that have no chance in hell of getting a deep playoff run or appearing in the SB(this is the ultimate goal). 

Like I said above - it doesn't mean I expect it every year or even most years, but I do think having a team and a QB that gives you a chance for deep playoff runs is the ultimate goal. From there on it comes to a lot of additional circumstances - luck, health of the roster, favorable matchups, etc., whether you reach the SB and win it or not. 

With players like Cousins or Carr or Dak you have zero margin for error, especially if you give them the 30-35M salary that they will command. I don't think you can have a consistent contender with a QB like that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

Yeah sure.  So I get what you're saying, but you're kind of missing the point.

There's not really disputing the prevalence of dual threat quarterbacks has really exploded, pretty much since Russell Wilson or Cam Newton maybe.  The myth about the dual threat QBs was that they were a bust waiting to happen.  The occasional Vick's and Cunningham's pushed back against the common myth, but if you weren't a pocket passer, you were doomed for failure.  And in large part, that rang true. 

Today though, while you can point to Cunningham and Vick from the 2000-2010, I can point to Lamar Jackson, Dak Prescott, Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson, (prior to injury) Cam Newton, (jury's still out on) Kyler Murray, and Josh Allen.  I think there's two reasons working in tandem that prove the old myth has been overcome.  First, offenses have evolved to accommodate dual threat QBs better than it ever has, since 2012/2013.  Second, the average athlete today is faster than the average athlete 20 years ago.  That wasn't always true in the days of Vick, Cunningham, or Takington. 

2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Um, no. 

Just as there are fans who will do the same as you if the Colts dump a bunch of cash on the wrong FA QB or reach in the first round for a QB. 

oh...there's a lot of answers around here....but they're mostly emotionally motivated, and severely lacking in scope. :thmup:

Spot on.

What the bloody hell....

When I write “not a lot of answers” I’m not referring to answers here.   There are always answers here.   

Im referring to answers from the Colts.   We won’t know if we want a free agent QB for a month.   We won’t know about drafting a QB for about 10 weeks.   So a long wait for all of us...

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 2:27 PM, Chloe6124 said:

The only reason Wilson dropped was his height. 

Sure but the point isn't about the reason behind the player dropping. It's that he was picked 'late' and those fans made the same complaint we're reading here re: Kelly.

5 years from now, the Colts may have a new QB picked in round 3 and we'll be saying "the only reason he dropped was X or Y", and it won't take away from the fact that some people brought up  Indy having 4 roster QBs.