Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad “Swag” Kelly

BleedBlue4Shoe86

Okay so let’s look at Ballards comments on Chad Kelly on Dakich:  

Dakich: The fans really wanted Chad Kelly to get a shot. Is Kelly in any type of future plans?

Ballard: "Let me tell you this: he's got some natural playmaking to him. Here's my deal with Chad, because I heard the clamoring, too — my kids. I mean, they love Chad; they love Jacoby, and they love Chad. I mean, Chad had earned trust. I'm not talking about on the field — we had to trust him off the field. I mean, he had screwed up a few times to where, 'We're your last shot here, son. So you're we're gonna have some guidelines here about what you have to do, and you've gotta earn trust.' And first time we cut him, he had this look of, 'You're cutting me?' I'm like, 'Damn right I'm cuttin' you. And you're gonna go to the practice squad and you're gonna continue to work, you're gonna continue to do the things we're asking you to do.' Do I think he has a future in the league? Yes. Does he continue to have to earn trust each and every day? Yes."

First, so I have long felt that Kelly would not take JBs place this previous season and would gladly call out anyone who did. I feel like after hearing this, it confirmed what a lot of us thought, this year was about Kelly showing he could be a good teammate and stay in line. That was it. It was never about him actually seeing the field. 

Second, I think this could also confirm that we might just be in for a draft of building D-line and getting weapons. Then taking a QB in the mid rounds, maybe 3-4 range. Why do I say that, when asked about Kelly, Ballard said he had a future in the league and was a natural playmaker. I could see Ballard believing he can roll with Brissett, Kelly and Rookie. Let them battle it out in training camp and see what happens. He could view Kelly as better than any other QB that would be available to us. Could all be conspiracy, but definitely now feel that a very least Kelly will be on this roster next year unless he gets in trouble this offseason. 

What do y’all think?

guy on left No chance. Guy on right looks the part of NFL QB. 

64782562-95C5-432B-A8DB-3459D8A5EA5A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Dakich: The fans really wanted Chad Kelly to get a shot. Is Kelly in any type of future plans?

Ballard: "Let me tell you this: he's got some natural playmaking to him. Here's my deal with Chad, because I heard the clamoring, too — my kids. I mean, they love Chad; they love Jacoby, and they love Chad. I mean, Chad had earned trust. I'm not talking about on the field — we had to trust him off the field. I mean, he had screwed up a few times to where, 'We're your last shot here, son. So you're we're gonna have some guidelines here about what you have to do, and you've gotta earn trust.' And first time we cut him, he had this look of, 'You're cutting me?' I'm like, 'Damn right I'm cuttin' you. And you're gonna go to the practice squad and you're gonna continue to work, you're gonna continue to do the things we're asking you to do.' Do I think he has a future in the league? Yes. Does he continue to have to earn trust each and every day? Yes."

First, so I have long felt that Kelly would not take JBs place this previous season and would gladly call out anyone who did. I feel like after hearing this, it confirmed what a lot of us thought, this year was about Kelly showing he could be a good teammate and stay in line. That was it. It was never about him actually seeing the field. 

Second, I think this could also confirm that we might just be in for a draft of building D-line and getting weapons. Then taking a QB in the mid rounds, maybe 3-4 range. Why do I say that, when asked about Kelly, Ballard said he had a future in the league and was a natural playmaker. I could see Ballard believing he can roll with Brissett, Kelly and Rookie. Let them battle it out in training camp and see what happens. He could view Kelly as better than any other QB that would be available to us. Could all be conspiracy, but definitely now feel that a very least Kelly will be on this roster next year unless he gets in trouble this offseason. 

What do y’all think?

Yeah, said the same thing in the Dakich interview thread. I think you’re 100 percent correct about Most of that. I don’t see is taking a 3/4 round QB, I honesty think we won’t take one at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If I were convinced he had his head straight, and he'd get a fair shot in an open competition, than I'd be all for Swagadocious. There's no doubt he's got the talent. 

Who knows. That is the ultimate question for him. He does have JB and Hoyer teaching him to be a pro and leader. Then you have Reich, who we have to assume he is close with because of Reich and Jim Kelly’s relationship. If he is gonna succeed, which I don’t know what that looks like, it would be in Indy. 

5 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Who knows. That is the ultimate question for him. He does have JB and Hoyer teaching him to be a pro and leader. Then you have Reich, who we have to assume he is close with because of Reich and Jim Kelly’s relationship. If he is gonna succeed, which I don’t know what that looks like, it would be in Indy. 

Indy was definitely the best spot for him in terms of support from the coach and a MW valuing organization.  

I really doubt having kelly on the roster, keeps the colts from drafting a QB. I wish they would’ve just started him in a game toward the end, just to prove if the hype is worthy. Me personally, I just don’t understand the buzz this guy creates.

36 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

I really doubt having kelly on the roster, keeps the colts from drafting a QB. I wish they would’ve just started him in a game toward the end, just to prove if the hype is worthy. Me personally, I just don’t understand the buzz this guy creates.

The “buzz” is from a few quarters of pre-season play.  Literally, a FEW quarters.... key word being FEW.  I can remember Painter having good pre-season play as well.

He got a shot here because of the Reich/Jim Kelly connection.  The kid has skills, and good college numbers.  However, 31 other teams could have grabbed him from our practice squad.  There are obviously still red flags.  If so, you CAN’T risk putting him in control of the team.

I think he’s being handled correctly.  Low-risk, with potential as a good quality back-up or maybe even better.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

The “buzz” is from a few quarters of pre-season play.  Literally, a FEW quarters.... key word being FEW.  I can remember Painter having good pre-season play as well.

He got a shot here because of the Reich/Jim Kelly connection.  The kid has skills, and good college numbers.  However, 31 other teams could have grabbed him from our practice squad.  There are obviously still red flags.  If so, you CAN’T risk putting him in control of the team.

I think he’s being handled correctly.  Low-risk, with potential as a good quality back-up or maybe even better.

Painter never looked good in preseason, tulip season or pheasant season. Bad comparison.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Painter never looked good in preseason, tulip season or pheasant season. Bad comparison.

Uh, he did.  I’m not bragging Painter up, but he did play well  in at least one game i can remember.  But thats not really the point, is it?

The point is... the kid (Kelly) has a VERY small resume.  And some of it is concerning.  

This ain't CNN vs FOX around here.... hopefully we’re all “friends.”

2 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

What do y’all think?

Yeah, I pretty much agree with this and have been saying it since before the season was up. Think CB really likes Kelly and I honestly think CB feels he as much talent as the guys that’s obtainable in the draft to him with the unknowns of maturity level. Stay out of trouble during the 2019 season, check. Stay humble and make zero noise. Check. Stay clean and quiet up until the draft and our board goes from QB pick 1 into either OT, DT or WR possibly. Wouldn’t shock me in the least to see rd 3 picking a QB to groom. If CK plays and works out like hopes, we maybe are able to turn that QB into a draft haul 2-4 years down the road idk. 

my gut feeling has been, CB kept the kid on this roster when we could easily have picked up another player to fill in for other injuries but we kept him. That tells me a lot. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

Yeah, I pretty much agree with this and have been saying it since before the season was up. Think CB really likes Kelly and I honestly think CB feels he as much talent as the guys that’s obtainable in the draft to him with the unknowns of maturity level. Stay out of trouble during the 2019 season, check. Stay humble and make zero noise. Check. Stay clean and quiet up until the draft and our board goes from QB pick 1 into either OT, DT or WR possibly. Wouldn’t shock me in the least to see rd 3 picking a QB to groom. If CK plays and works out like hopes, we maybe are able to turn that QB into a draft haul 2-4 years down the road idk. 

my gut feeling has been, CB kept the kid on this roster when we could easily have picked up another player to fill in for other injuries but we kept him. That tells me a lot. 

I agree.  Tho i’m not sure what Ballard is planning on doing in draft.  Maybe he isn't yet either.

I think we all saw what Ballard may be excited about, physically speaking.  I think Ballard is making sure Kelly is getting his head on straight. 
  I am genuinely excited to see what happens in the draft.  Not sure why, but my gut says he may surprise us this offseason.  Both in the draft and FA.  Strap yourself in!

59 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

So they kept Kelly on the team last year, not to play?

...but rather, for him to further develop his character?

Much more complicated than that, even if you exclude the last minute Luck exit.  He also had virtually NO NFL experience.

But, yeah, kinda.

Not that uncommon with #3 QBs.  He was basically a practice squad guy that was brought up when JB was injured.  No different than the last #3 (walker) really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

Yes. I think at sometime in this season, CB figured he was not going to be able to go forward with JB as the future and at some point determine where this Kelly kid had the mental strength it will take to become a leader of the team if called upon for the upcoming years. Makes zero sense to keep the kid on the team, not dress him even though JB was hurt/ineffective while still needing cb’s or wr’s due to injuries. He paid him well above the avg PS player salary to keep him here. Just too many signs pointed to CB went above and beyond to keep him here. 

look, nobody here has disputed any of the kids football talents. Nobody here has disputed the mental aspect and maturity part of the kids game either. If he has been able to show CB and FR that he has matured, his football skills match up equally as well, of not maybe better than does Love or Heberts games and we know how he fits into the locker room and what he can do in practice. If he doesn’t screw up and maintains the Boy Scout, hard worker this offseason, I’m telling you, Kelly is going to get a fair shot at being the starter here in 2020. 

need to have a poll that asks Kelly as starter 2020 yes or no with no other options or comments just so we can come back and see who said what in a thread 

• Like 1

I don’t think there’s any controversy over how he played, when given the chance. Some will say “it was just preseason, against scrubs”. But if he had done poorly, naysayers would point to those games as evidence he doesn’t belong and he wouldn’t have been retained.

I liked what I saw; decisive, accurate and can run well. And I don’t think you can discount his bloodline. Nobody is saying he’s going to wind up in Canton but those of us who support him just want to see him get a chance to complete. Let’s just hope he stays out of trouble this offseason and earns a spot.

• Like 4

In a world of second and third chances given to people, if the Colts do not give Kelly a fair shot this year, I think they should just cut him, especially if he has done everything they have asked him, on and off the field through the end of pre-season.

For his sake, I hope he plays well to get a roster spot at least after pre-season. If not a starter, if he can cement himself as a backup, it will set himself up for future opportunities. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

What do y’all think?

guy on left No chance. Guy on right looks the part of NFL QB. 

64782562-95C5-432B-A8DB-3459D8A5EA5A.jpeg

Finally we agree on something. Yes, IMO, this is what the Colts will likely do with the exception of keeping JB. They need to cut loose JB because it will most likely cause dissension in the ranks. Start clean and give him confidence that he is the guy. I believe JB to be a liability on this team going forward. Tough decisions have to be made. Just my opinion.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Who doesn't have them. There's a lot of iffy in this post.

50 minutes ago, lincolndefan said:

Finally we agree on something. Yes, IMO, this is what the Colts will likely do with the exception of keeping JB. They need to cut loose JB because it will most likely cause dissension in the ranks. Start clean and give him confidence that he is the guy. I believe JB to be a liability on this team going forward. Tough decisions have to be made. Just my opinion.

Chad will end up being a back up journeyman type QB bouncing from team to team  which isn't a bad way to make a living.

12 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

The "Buzz" for me was hearing the place that has tested many top pro's and prospects for many years said he was "the most accurate" QB they had ever tested.
 We know he is very mobile which is highly valued these days, the guy has skills.
  These things make him very interesting. I'm glad he is here with a year in the system.
 And i expct him to outplay JB. The bar isn't that high for that.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, csmopar said:

Yeah, said the same thing in the Dakich interview thread. I think you’re 100 percent correct about Most of that. I don’t see is taking a 3/4 round QB, I honesty think we won’t take one at all.

We have to take a QB in the draft.  I do see us making a move on a 4th round guy with upside, but I don't care if we sign a UDFA,  you absolutely have to get Hoyer off this roster.  I was glad to have him last year for mentorship since we had 2 inexperienced QBs ahead of him, but mentorship only goes so far once you get out on the field and fail, and Brissett now has 2 years of NFL starting experience, there's only so much to mentor there.

1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

We have to take a QB in the draft.  I do see us making a move on a 4th round guy with upside, but I don't care if we sign a UDFA,  you absolutely have to get Hoyer off this roster.  I was glad to have him last year for mentorship since we had 2 inexperienced QBs ahead of him, but mentorship only goes so far once you get out on the field and fail, and Brissett now has 2 years of NFL starting experience, there's only so much to mentor there.

Actually, we do not HAVE to do anything in the draft QB wise.

• Like 1

As for Kelly, he has some things you like to see, but I'm definitely concerned about what might happen if he gets taken off probation.  Ballard is going to have to handle this very carefully.  There's definitely upside there, but starting the season, week 1, he's the backup QB in my mind, see if he can handle those duties in practice and then think about letting him take a snap or two in garbage time.  If he does well and Brissett is struggling you go from there.

As far as I'm concerned Brissett and Kelly are fighting for the job right now and Brissett has the inside track.  If he'd finished with a winning record he'd be the undisputed starter, but he didn't.  So instead of an insurmountable lead he has a surmountable one.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Actually, we do not HAVE to do anything in the draft QB wise.

I will think less of Ballard if Hoyer breaks camp as a member of this team.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

The kid has to demonstrate that he knows how to be a leader if men.   A leader if a locker room.   Like Peyton.   Like Andrew.     Like all good quarterbacks.  

So, yes, his primary job last year was to show he could stay out of trouble and show his talent on the practice field, the meeting room and the locker room.

NOTE:   Yes, we cut Chad Kelly, but we also gave him a sweetened contract when he was brought back.   I believe I read somewhere that Kelly was highest paid practice squad player in the entire NFL.   So, yes, we cut him.  But we also showed we did not want to lose him and we’re interested in him at the same time. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Don't forget Ballard gave him a very good contract to be on the practice squad as a deterrent to teams thinking of signing him and as a way of trying to keep him.  It obviously worked.  So his story will continue with the Colts.  And as of today no one knows how it will end.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out. 

• Like 3

Having changed my own course through life, I know how old habits and ways of thought, can derail any amount of motivation you may feel you have. As long as Swag has changed his mindset for the better, he will continue to be a good citizen and team mate. But it takes a real change if thought patterns. It takes work. And it takes new habit building. 

Only time will tell if swag has changed his mindset on life. I would say this upcoming season will still be a prove it year for him. And that's the thing too, any type of bad event in a person's life can send you right back to your old thought habits. He has to show he can handle tough situations. 

Ballard cutting Swag shows me how much Ballard understands this. I like that he threw a wrench into Swags efforts in order to see if he can grow past it. This off season will also show a lot in that area. 

I wouldnt be surprised if this upcoming season is still another prove it year. If Ballard doesn't draft a QB at all or sign any QB with starter potential (like Hoyer) then I would say he has more faith in swag becoming eventual starter than any of us want to admit.  

• Like 2

Some have stated..

Why are people so intrigued by Chad Kelley? 

The absolutely jaw-dropping elite quick release, accuracy, and velocity that he showed in those pre-season games.  If you didn't see them go check them out, it was very impressive.

But it was only against 4th string talent.. lol

I don't care how it was demonstrated.  The jaw-dropping traits were evident. People can get intrigued by demonstrating this kind of ability at a pro-day workout where there is no competition at all.  So as far as demonstrating jaw-dropping traits, the argument that it was against non-first string talent is moot.

But let's talk a little about the level of competition in which he succeeded in pre-season.  Games 1 and 2 he played the 4th quarter against lesser talent.. BUT, he was also playing with 3rd/4th string talent on his side too (OL/WR/TE).

He started pre-season games 3 and 4 as they decided to hold JB out of the rest of preseason.  So he at least faced the other teams starters for those games, not the 3rd or 4th string.  He was successful in every pre-season game.

He's a risk that you can't allow to be the face of a franchise.

Agreed, he's a risk.  I might be naive, but I believe anybody in his situation would understand this is his last change, be completely humbled, and put 100% focus into his career while he still has a chance.  

How incredibly lucky was it for Chad that Luck retired?  He had no chance of playing and then, all of the sudden, he might be the most talented QB on the team.  He just needs to get his head straight.  He's reaching that magical age of 25 where males are finally starting to fully mature. Is he on the right track.. only the team really knows.. I sure hope so.

But he was not claimed off the practice squad by another team when exposed

This surprised me.  I thought he would be claimed.  This is the one thing that gives me pause. But the fact that they kept on on the roster at the end of the season shows the team didn't want to risk it again.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

Some have stated..

Why are people so intrigued by Chad Kelley? 

The absolutely jaw-dropping elite quick release, accuracy, and velocity that he showed in those pre-season games.  If you didn't see them go check them out, it was very impressive.

But it was only against 4th string talent.. lol

I don't care how it was demonstrated.  The jaw-dropping traits were evident. People can get intrigued by demonstrating this kind of ability at a pro-day workout where there is no competition at all.  So as far as demonstrating jaw-dropping traits, the argument that it was against non-first string talent is moot.

But let's talk a little about the level of competition in which he succeeded in pre-season.  Games 1 and 2 he played the 4th quarter against lesser talent.. BUT, he was also playing with 3rd/4th string talent on his side too (OL/WR/TE).

He started pre-season games 3 and 4 as they decided to hold JB out of the rest of preseason.  So he at least faced the other teams starters for those games, not the 3rd or 4th string.  He was successful in every pre-season game.

He's a risk that you can't allow to be the face of a franchise.

Agreed, he's a risk.  I might be naive, but I believe anybody in his situation would understand this is his last change, be completely humbled, and put 100% focus into his career while he still has a chance.  

How incredibly lucky was it for Chad that Luck retired?  He had no chance of playing and then, all of the sudden, he might be the most talented QB on the team.  He just needs to get his head straight.  He's reaching that magical age of 25 where males are finally starting to fully mature. Is he on the right track.. only the team really knows.. I sure hope so.

But he was not claimed off the practice squad by another team when exposed

This surprised me.  I thought he would be claimed.  This is the one thing that gives me pause. But the fact that they kept on on the roster at the end of the season shows the team didn't want to risk it again.

Something I learned from Ballard when he talked about Cain. A player does not have to accept the offer of someone claims them off the practice squad. They can stay on the practice squad of the team they are on. Marcus Johnson from what I understand had teams wanting him off the practice squad. He decided to stay here because his relationship with Reich. So a team very well might of tried to get Kelly on their team and he decided to stay.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

Unlock the Swag :)

Be warned, if you watch these two videos, you will have 'Unlock the Swag' ear worm for days.

Swag 2  (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9xasXnDNDo)

Swag 3  (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GETkgADOmqg)

He had some very pretty passes vs Bama. I still remember watching both of those game. Both Ws vs Bama I was like WTH is going on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

He had some very pretty passes vs Bama. I still remember watching both of those game. Both Ws vs Bama I was like WTH is going on.

Yes (some shown in Swag3), but the passes against Fresno State (Swag2) are even better.

• Like 2