Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad “Swag” Kelly

BleedBlue4Shoe86

46 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I remember reading this article a while ago on him and started thinking, "woah, you had to go there, huh..."

https://theundefeated.com/features/the-white-privilege-of-chad-kelly/

yeah um thats an interesting take.  sounds like the writer never even watched him at all, ever themselves 

they just quoted someone else that scouted his flaws and used that to put out a piece about white privilege.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

yeah um thats an interesting take.  sounds like the writer never even watched him at all, ever themselves 

they just quoted someone else that scouted his flaws and used that to put out a piece about white privilege.

It clearly was a pre-determined article, w.r.t intentions, IMO, with a few points thrown in to make it sound reasonable, or at least attempt to. Not well written whatsoever.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Myles said:

In that second link, they spent half the video replaying a play that didn't show much positive for Chad.   That could easily had been an interception for a TD.

It is pretty cool that he beat Bama twice.   How many QB's have done that in the past decade? 

I'll see your Bama and raise you...

Beat #2 Alabama (put up 43 points)

Beat #15 Texas A&M 

Beat #17 LSU (put up 37 points)

Beat #23 Miss St (put up 38 points)

Beat #13 Oklahoma St (put up 43 points)

By the way, LSU, Miss St, Oklahoma St were 3 games in a row.

He's got talent. Does he have trust yet?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/29/2020 at 11:31 AM, Imgrandojji said:

We have to take a QB in the draft.  I do see us making a move on a 4th round guy with upside, but I don't care if we sign a UDFA,  you absolutely have to get Hoyer off this roster.  I was glad to have him last year for mentorship since we had 2 inexperienced QBs ahead of him, but mentorship only goes so far once you get out on the field and fail, and Brissett now has 2 years of NFL starting experience, there's only so much to mentor there.

Sorry but this seems rather shallow. Not that i don't agree we could use a better backup in case he has to actually play.
 Hoyers Mentorship value appears in the classroom each week preparing to attack each weeks defensive scheme.
 There can be value talking during the game about what the defenses are doing.
 Hoyer was said to be pivotal in NE on the scout team. He was running the other teams plays and tearing apart their D. This allowed the NE D to better prepare for the opposing D.
 All of this and more that we can't quite know are the reasons Ballard wanted him here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Sorry but this seems rather shallow. Not that i don't agree we could use a better backup in case he has to actually play.
 Hoyers Mentorship value appears in the classroom each week preparing to attack each weeks defensive scheme.
 Hoyer was said to be pivotal in NE on the scout team. He was running the other teams plays and tearing apart their D. This allowed the NE D to better prepare for the opposing D.
 All of this and more that we can't quite know are the reasons Ballard wanted him here.

I agree there is value in scout team play, but honestly it didn't translate to our passing D. If anything, our passing D took a step back this year. Not saying there aren't other factors, but I see nothing this year that tells me Hoyer made a positive impact in this space. Our pass D looked better prepped by Walker on the scout team of all people lol. 

On mentoring, same thing. And I'd also add that you can hire a guy (QB coach, QB assistant) to assist with game prep, mentoring, etc.. Reich did mention that they were looking to create a new staff position. Not saying it's going to be QB focused, but it could be. 

I'm not as down on Hoyer as most. I don't think he's as bad as some think (on the field), but don't think he's as integral to mentoring as some thing either. In his bad game vs Miami, he was pretty much set up for failure. 1) Reich gave him zero 1st team reps, and 2) Reich called a game play to toss it all over the yard vs a team that is horrible vs the run.... Those were just two really bad decisions by Reich. I put the Miami loss on him more than I do Hoyer.

On 1/31/2020 at 10:56 AM, throwing BBZ said:

Then....why is there a QBs coach?

On 1/29/2020 at 2:46 PM, EastStreet said:

I think some of this is a bit harsh. Honestly I don't think it matters who he sat behind. In Denver, he was likely already on some sort of "probation", but still managed to win the backup roster job (2018) after spending a year (2017) on IR. He also beat out Lynch who we forget was a 1st rounder... Not saying Lynch is all that, he's not, but still it's not nothing.

We can't say the coaches didn't think he was the best chance to win. We can probably assume that Denver (Elway is pretty controlling) was taking a calculated risk keeping him on the roster, and simply were treating him similar to the how the Colts did in 2019. The fact he won the back up job at all after the behavioral flags and a year on IR is something I wouldn't have bet on.

But I do agree he should not factor into draft plans. I think it's fair to say after Ballard's comments, he's still in the earning trust phase. Like you, I wanted to see him in the last couple of games, but I also knew that was unlikely as they probably didn't want to diss JB. Putting him out there, even in a situation where JB hypothetically got hurt, would have opened up a can of worms that likely couldn't be closed lol. In short, the FO played it ultra-conservative, and that does not surprise me one bit. 

Whatever "plan" they have for him, I hope it's clear and finite. I got the opposite feeling listening to Ballard. It just felt like Ballard was saying, he needs to behave well, and if we ever need you, we'll let you know... I'd prefer a situation where it's clear as day, where Ballard says something like "kid, you've been a dumbxxx... you owe us two years of perfect behavior, XXX hours of service in the Indy community, substance abuse counselling, sports shrink counselling, and lots of hard work... and if you do that, you'll have a fair and open competition in year 3"... Kelly isn't in a position to complain about anything regardless of whatever conditions he's under, so who knows. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for some of those conversations though. 

Right on!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I know Kelly's previous on and off field episodes are hard to ignore. However,  how do think  Kelly would measure up, talent wise,to the 2020 qb class.  I am just asking people to ignore his behaviour issues for a second and just view him based on his physical attributes

I've read a lot of pre-draft reviews..... Here's a summary so you don't have to google...  Great arm talent and can make quality throws everywhere except the deep left sideline..... More than capable runner. Strong competitor/gamer that can make things happen, but can also play too much hero ball (typically because they are down).... Biggest concerns over height and character... 

Subtract the character concerns, and I'd put him in the 2nd tier after Burrow, Tua, and Herbert. So in the mix with Love and Eason, but ahead of Fromm and Hurts. In short, high ceiling, low floor.

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I've read a lot of pre-draft reviews..... Here's a summary so you don't have to google...  Great arm talent and can make quality throws everywhere except the deep left sideline..... More than capable runner. Strong competitor/gamer that can make things happen, but can also play too much hero ball (typically because they are down).... Biggest concerns over height and character... 

Subtract the character concerns, and I'd put him in the 2nd tier after Burrow, Tua, and Herbert. So in the mix with Love and Eason, but ahead of Fromm and Hurts. In short, high ceiling, low floor.

That's very good actually.  He's two years removed from his nonsense in Denver.  Maybe Ballard doesn't pull the trigger on a QB and decides to go with Brissett and Swags and signs a rookie QB for the practice squad. 

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I know Kelly's previous on and off field episodes are hard to ignore. However,  how do think  Kelly would measure up, talent wise,to the 2020 qb class.  I am just asking people to ignore his behaviour issues for a second and just view him based on his physical attributes

Curious, were you a fan during the Jeff George era?

26 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

That's very good actually.  He's two years removed from his nonsense in Denver.  Maybe Ballard doesn't pull the trigger on a QB and decides to go with Brissett and Swags and signs a rookie QB for the practice squad. 

Possible, but I don't see it. I still think they lack confidence in Kelly based on Ballard's tone with DD. And I do think he'll move on from JB. His ceiling is just too low. IMO, they go for a QB with either 13 or 34. I lean towards 13, but can also see them going 3T at 13, and gambling on a guy like Love being available at 34. They could also use the two 2s to move back into the top 20 and take both a QB and DT in the 1st.

Me personally, I do my due diligence (like in the Mahomes draft article), figure out where Herbert and Love are going. I'd make my decision and use my 13, and either 34th or 17ish (34+44), to get both the QB and DT I want. Then, whatever QB I get, I let him and Kelly push each other. I start one of them and let the cards fall where they may. If the QBs suck and we tank (which I doubt given our OL and running game), we go for Lawrence or Fields next year. 

1. Not sure why people that are supposed to be Football fans don't see the potential in Kelly. Sure he only played a few minutes in the pre-season, but you gotta look at it this way:

1. In the plays that he was in on, the dude lit it up, I'm not talking about numbers, I'm talking about how quickly he shot the ball out, he took it deep, he went mid, and he dropped it off, dude was on fire for being someone that hadn't really played in an NFL game setting.

2. Compared to Brissett (who I think is an awesome dude, and really good QB.) He seemed to be faster with the ball, an way more unpredictable  when it came to getting completions. By unpredictable I mean that he kept the defense on its toes...

3. He sat, he was cut, he worked his butt off to at least get a shot, hes put in the work to be an asset, and finally he has Pro ball in his blood. These qualities alone at least deserve some credit, and I really hope he gets a legit shot at starting. I love Brissett but hes not gonna make the defenses worry much, he can go deep, but thats not his game, and he won't make them continuously pay. I believe Kelly on the other hand could potentially be a deep threat, and with the humbling experience the dude has went thought I'm pretty sure hes hungry.

• Like 3

On 2/2/2020 at 12:45 AM, Four2itus said:

Curious, were you a fan during the Jeff George era?

i was

as for chad they either trust him or they dont, if they dont then he should not be here.

if they do then he should get a chance to compete for the starting job, hes not a clip board holding back up that has much value on the side lines

19 hours ago, aaron11 said:

[A]s for chad they either trust him or they dont, if they dont then he should not be here.

Trust is a two-way street. If Ballard, while learning to trust Kelly, destroys the trust that Kelly has in Ballard and the Colts, all sorts of bad can happen. Football is a game. Manipulating people's lives isn't. 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 10:36 PM, 1959Colts said:

So they kept Kelly on the team last year, not to play?

...but rather, for him to further develop his character?

NFL teams often keep players on the PS or roster to further develop their skills.  It's just in the case of Kelly the skills he needs to develop more than anything is maturity.

15 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I will say that I am a known JB supporter but I have no issue going into next year with JB, Kelly and a mid rounder battling it out for the starting spot. I will also say that if JB wins the starting spot but then struggles, I do see them pulling him next year, unlike last year. 

I'd be OK with that as well if it was truly an open competition. I really don't want to go into the preseason where JB is the presumed starter by the FO, Kelly is still serving his sentence for maturity issues, and the mid round guy is expected to sit a year and learn.... If they're not willing to take the kid gloves off when dealing with Kelly in 2020, I'd just assume cut him. I also don't see the FO wanting to carry 3 QBs on the active roster during the season.

On 1/29/2020 at 1:43 PM, stitches said:

I think it is insane to make decisions about the very top of your roster at the most important position on any team(QB) with the most valuable assets you have(1st round picks) based on the existence of Chad Kelly. I don't mind him being on the roster and I've liked what he's shown in pre-season games and I think he can be a serviceable backup in time, but you simply cannot do this. This would be so damn irresponsible and almost fireable. "You know what? I'm not gonna draft QB high because we have Chad Kelly" .... just think about it for a minute... let it settle in your mind... "we are not drafting a QB because of Chad Kelly"... How is this NOT insane? Chad Kelly shouldn't even enter into your thoughts about whether to draft a QB with 13 or not. 

I agree with you but had to post this.