Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich's play calling

Hammer

Why on earth were we not going for a first down on the last series? We had a first down at the 16 with just under a minute to go with all 3 timeouts, Instead he's calling deep corner routes until 4th down. Then, Ebron runs an 8 yd route on 4th and ten. Good God!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Reichs play calling has been suspect for more than just this game. I’m starting to lose confidence in what CB is putting together. Vinny not being held accountable for his failure has weakened this team and their play. The soft practice regimens we employ by giving guys “rest days” has made them softer. I don’t know what to think about this team from the top down anymore. 

losing to the 1-7 dolphins, regardless of your personnel today, is almost inexcusable. Wonder if we just play patty cake bakers man to help gain focus this week.

Utterly disgusting football. 

• Like 4

He's been conservative all season long aside from the houston game stop blowing smoke and open up that playbook and let the offense go I'm getting tired of watching the same ole gameplan that never works...yes it would be nice a have a great running game but sometimes passing the ball has better results 

• Like 1

I thought the last series was terrible.  Leave Mack in the game so that you have a threat of run or pass.  Mack is good on screens.  Why have Hoyer throw two fade routes into the end zone with double coverage?  Bad play calling.  I will say that if Luck were playing, we wouldn't have this conversation.  Reichs playcalling last year was great.  I think Brissett and Hoyer really limit what can be done.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

I thought the last series was terrible.  Leave Mack in the game so that you have a threat of run or pass.  Mack is good on screens.  Why have Hoyer throw two fade routes into the end zone with double coverage?  Bad play calling.  I will say that if Luck were playing, we wouldn't have this conversation.  Reichs playcalling last year was great.  I think Brissett and Hoyer really limit what can be done.

Should have went for first  down

3 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

It is starting to seem like Reich doesn't have faith in his QBs. You never truly know what is going on in the front office.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, DrColtsFan said:

My thoughts exactly. Run was working, short crossing routes were working. B Hoyer throwing fades to the corner of the end zone never ever working...so we tried it 3 times in a row. Honestly this strategy was incomprehensible. 

I disagree the run was working, we had a few runs go for longer than 3 runs in the 2nd half, all of them in the 3rd IIRC. Still, doesnt excuse the playcalling. Hoyer just couldnt hit the throws he was attempting. AT ALL...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

This was a ridiculous game, and a ridiculous result....Need another coach, Reich's play calling utterly was beyond reason.....

Reich doesn't have Andrew any more. He is calling the type of plays that make Brissett successful. If he opens up the passing game we will soon see how bad Brissett is on the long passes.

• Like 1

I’d have to disagree with those throwing Reich under the bus I believe the statement made, that he is limited in the QBs  he has, he was establishing a decent trend with Brissett but honestly I believe Kelly just might be the better possibility out of Hoyer and Brissett.

8 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Well, its not like any of us have faith in Hoyer. My faith in JB assumes a close game.

It's just mind boggling why it seems like they're holding back the playbook. He talks about how fun it's going to be game planning for Campbell and then never game plans for him. I have watched hines over and over make play after play as a pass catcher, or running outside, and we rarely ever use him. 

Is mack a complete joke when it comes to catching the football? Why do they never use him as a catching RB? He is NEVER thrown the ball. 

All I see is the team holding back. And now after today's game, I see the hearts of the players losing interest. This team is sorely starting to look like the late teams of Chuck Pagano. Completely uninspired football. And that saddens me because they started off this regime on a majority positive note. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

It is starting to seem like Reich doesn't have faith in his QBs. You never truly know what is going on in the front office.

I didn't really question his play calling .  Hoyer utterly sucks. There were a lot of throws and plays that Hoyer missed.  That's on him not Reich.  We have a below average qb surrounded by below average wr talent.  The O line is getting attacked and regressing.  All that combined leads to a crappy outcome for the O.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

It's just mind boggling why it seems like they're holding back the playbook. He talks about how fun it's going to be game planning for Campbell and then never game plans for him. I have watched hines over and over make play after play as a pass catcher, or running outside, and we rarely ever use him. 

Is mack a complete joke when it comes to catching the football? Why do they never use him as a catching RB? He is NEVER thrown the ball. 

All I see is the team holding back. And now after today's game, I see the hearts of the players losing interest. This team is sorely starting to look like the late teams of Chuck Pagano. Completely uninspired football. And that saddens me because they started off this regime on a majority positive note. 

I do feel like we used Hines more, but that couldve been tied to Mack's missed time. But you can see a clear difference inthe teams out there against <.500 teams and winnin record teams.

I don't get it.  Backup QB is only a part of the problem.

Trusting Hoyer on 4th down was a huge mistake. The offense was so spotty to day and Hoyer is NOT even Brisette even with the experiential Hoyer has. The last set of downs was maddedning. 3 consecutive fades to the back of the endzone. How about a three or four yard play here and there or 5-yard play. We had three timeouts and the running game is getting better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lennymoore24 said:

this answers a lot of questions about reich. He will be ok once they find a QB that has any ability beyond being a back up.

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

Reichs play calling has been suspect for more than just this game. I’m starting to lose confidence in what CB is putting together. Vinny not being held accountable for his failure has weakened this team and their play. The soft practice regimens we employ by giving guys “rest days” has made them softer. I don’t know what to think about this team from the top down anymore. 

losing to the 1-7 dolphins, regardless of your personnel today, is almost inexcusable. Wonder if we just play patty cake bakers man to help gain focus this week.

Oh,  Dear God....  here we go....     :facepalm:

Didn't see this thread, and just posted the below in another thread...

1) Reich doesn't give Hoyer 1st team reps this week

2) Reich's game plan is to NOT run the D ball in the first half vs one of the worst rush Ds in the league... (probably the biggest bone headed move this week)

3) Reich calls several early read deep shots with 2 of our speed/deep threats injured and out, and after you waive the guy known for being a deep threat, and only one 4.4 guys left who's a RB... 

4) Reich calls very little of the same plays we've been successful at (clear out and drag, hitches, rubs, etc.). Calls very little of the same plays Hoyer did well last game.

5) Reich calls time outs at the end of the half, which could possible help Miami... Then when our D gets the stop, we do take a knee.

6) Reich sells out at the end with max protect and sends only two WRs giving Hoyer very little options when a first down is all that's needed.

7) Reich calling plays Hoyer has been historically bad at, instead of the easy fast stuff he serves up to JB.

8) Most play calling was simply bad or predictable, making us very predictable on late downs.

9) To all those who liked the Hoyer signing given his career 48/30 TD/INT ratio... How's all that "professionalism" and "mentoring" working out for you.... 

The play calling was awful as many have mentioned already.  I'm also starting to lose confidence in Reich and Ballard.  Our WR group is terrible.  I don't think any of our current WR's ,other than TY, would be starting for other teams.  And everybody thought we were deep there. None of them can be counted on to get open regularly.  They are barely NFL receivers.  And what was Ballard thinking not having a backup plan for Adam.  A 46 yr old kicker who was showing signs of regressing last year but he rolled the dice and signed him again.  He certainly wasn't going to get any better as he ages.  He could have protected the team with a practice squad kicker.  Not an ordinary step but considering Adams age it would have been the prudent step to take.  I'm disappointed in both of them.  There luster is certainly wearing off.  

I always thought it was funny when Hoyer was losing games for other teams because he sucks so bad, the shoe was on the other foot today. Don't get discouraged with the whole team because the qb is really bad, it is what it is. I can't see us making the playoffs this year, but another solid draft and open competition at the qb position next year and we'll have a 13-3 season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hammer said:

Why on earth were we not going for a first down on the last series? We had a first down at the 16 with just under a minute to go with all 3 timeouts, Instead he's calling deep corner routes until 4th down. Then, Ebron runs an 8 yd route on 4th and ten. Good God!

I think that was more Hoyer’s poor decision making.  

17 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The play calling was awful as many have mentioned already.  I'm also starting to lose confidence in Reich and Ballard.  Our WR group is terrible.  I don't think any of our current WR's ,other than TY, would be starting for other teams.  And everybody thought we were deep there. None of them can be counted on to get open regularly.  They are barely NFL receivers.  And what was Ballard thinking not having a backup plan for Adam.  A 46 yr old kicker who was showing signs of regressing last year but he rolled the dice and signed him again.  He certainly wasn't going to get any better as he ages.  He could have protected the team with a practice squad kicker.  Not an ordinary step but considering Adams age it would have been the prudent step to take.  I'm disappointed in both of them.  There luster is certainly wearing off.  

Congrats. You have just earned The Most Negative Poster Award tonight. You barely edged out Chloe but this post pushed you to the finish line.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Didn't see this thread, and just posted the below in another thread...

1) Reich doesn't give Hoyer 1st team reps this week

2) Reich's game plan is to NOT run the D ball in the first half vs one of the worst rush Ds in the league... (probably the biggest bone headed move this week)

3) Reich calls several early read deep shots with 2 of our speed/deep threats injured and out, and after you waive the guy known for being a deep threat, and only one 4.4 guys left who's a RB... 

4) Reich calls very little of the same plays we've been successful at (clear out and drag, hitches, rubs, etc.). Calls very little of the same plays Hoyer did well last game.

5) Reich calls time outs at the end of the half, which could possible help Miami... Then when our D gets the stop, we do take a knee.

6) Reich sells out at the end with max protect and sends only two WRs giving Hoyer very little options when a first down is all that's needed.

7) Reich calling plays Hoyer has been historically bad at, instead of the easy fast stuff he serves up to JB.

8) Most play calling was simply bad or predictable, making us very predictable on late downs.

9) To all those who liked the Hoyer signing given his career 48/30 TD/INT ratio... How's all that "professionalism" and "mentoring" working out for you.... 

1.  Agree on point one.

2.  they did try to run it in the first half.  It wasn’t working.

3.  i think those guys have been there all year Hoyer just pulled the trigger on them when Brissett hasn’t.

4.  Reich said they adjusted the game plan for plays Hoyer liked.  Still that might have been a mistake

5.  There was no time left when they got the ball back.  That strategy works if you get a turn over or incomplete pass.

6.  That was poor decision making on Hoyer’s part but I think they used that personal because with so many WRs out Allen and Doyle were the best pass catchers today.

7.  Again see my point about adjusting the game plan to what Hoyer wanted.

8.  The play calling has been predictable most of the year.  Reich, like Dungy, believes in out executing the other team.  They didn’t do that today.

9.  No question Hoyer was awful today.

47 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Trusting Hoyer on 4th down was a huge mistake. The offense was so spotty to day and Hoyer is NOT even Brisette even with the experiential Hoyer has. The last set of downs was maddedning. 3 consecutive fades to the back of the endzone. How about a three or four yard play here and there or 5-yard play. We had three timeouts and the running game is getting better. 

That was poor decision making on Hoyer’s part.  

As for going for it on fourth down they didn’t really have a choice.  If you kick there you are kicking off with about :40 left.  Even if you get a three and out with the timeouts you are asking the offense to get in field goal range in about :30 with no timeouts left.

2 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Listen to Reich’s post game presser.  He’s singing a different tune on Adam.  I think a move is coming there this week.  Too late but I think it’s coming.  

I will say the most disturbing about Frank is that his teams seam to play to the level of the team they are playing. That has to be corrected.  

52 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I didn't really question his play calling .  Hoyer utterly sucks. There were a lot of throws and plays that Hoyer missed.  That's on him not Reich.  We have a below average qb surrounded by below average wr talent.  The O line is getting attacked and regressing.  All that combined leads to a crappy outcome for the O.

1. The oline has been terrible 

2. QB gets injured and you go with the journeyman QB and he does what is normal play for him

3. game plan did not get made for success using the talent we had on the field. 
4. Doyle should have had 10 targets and 100 yds. 
5. poor poor product produced today

6. Vinny has to go. The team integrity is at stake here. 

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Listen to Reich’s post game presser.  He’s singing a different tune on Adam.  I think a move is coming there this week.  Too late but I think it’s coming.  

I will say the most disturbing about Frank is that his teams seam to play to the level of the team they are playing. That has to be corrected.  

I didn’t get to listen to the post game, couldn’t find it online. It’s encouraging that Reich is at least weighing the possibility. He almost has to imho. He risks losing that locker room to complacency. I mean if the coaches don’t seem to care about doing the job well, why should the players with safe contracts? That’s the mentality that seeps in. 

2 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

He's been conservative all season long aside from the houston game stop blowing smoke and open up that playbook and let the offense go I'm getting tired of watching the same ole gameplan that never works...yes it would be nice a have a great running game but sometimes passing the ball has better results 

shades of pagano all over again