Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich's play calling

Hammer

10 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

1. The oline has been terrible 

2. QB gets injured and you go with the journeyman QB and he does what is normal play for him

3. game plan did not get made for success using the talent we had on the field. 
4. Doyle should have had 10 targets and 100 yds. 
5. poor poor product produced today

6. Vinny has to go. The team integrity is at stake here. 

good post

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The play calling was awful as many have mentioned already.  I'm also starting to lose confidence in Reich and Ballard.  Our WR group is terrible.  I don't think any of our current WR's ,other than TY, would be starting for other teams.  And everybody thought we were deep there. None of them can be counted on to get open regularly.  They are barely NFL receivers.  And what was Ballard thinking not having a backup plan for Adam.  A 46 yr old kicker who was showing signs of regressing last year but he rolled the dice and signed him again.  He certainly wasn't going to get any better as he ages.  He could have protected the team with a practice squad kicker.  Not an ordinary step but considering Adams age it would have been the prudent step to take.  I'm disappointed in both of them.  There luster is certainly wearing off.  

well said

2 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

He's been conservative all season long aside from the houston game stop blowing smoke and open up that playbook and let the offense go I'm getting tired of watching the same ole gameplan that never works...yes it would be nice a have a great running game but sometimes passing the ball has better results 

You think he was too conservative. He wasn’t conservative enough.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Run game was bad in the first half and when you are behind you throw.  The run game was much better in the second half and they ran it more then.

We are playing the dolphins. They have a bad defense. You keep running the ball. You don’t need a lot of points. We were never down big where we had to throw.

21 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

1.  Agree on point one.

2.  they did try to run it in the first half.  It wasn’t working.

---Aside from the 2nd series, it was working. The second series was about as predictable could be. Run middle, run middle... then a deep ball. Reich thought he could impose his will early up the middle in 1st and 2nd downs vs a fresh DL... instead of being creative with running, then pounding later. He then starts to abandon the run... 

3.  i think those guys have been there all year Hoyer just pulled the trigger on them when Brissett hasn’t.

They weren't the same calls. Deep reads were earlier, and there were much left clear out drags, hitches, etc..

4.  Reich said they adjusted the game plan for plays Hoyer liked.  Still that might have been a mistake

---- Letting a backup QB with a 48-30 TD/INT ratio push you to change what has been a very conservative history of play calling is dumber than coming up with it on your own. I'm not sure Reich would change things so much because of why Hoyer wanted to do. I smell nonsense, but if he did, that's even worse.

5.  There was no time left when they got the ball back.  That strategy works if you get a turn over or incomplete pass.

-----And it kills you if they get a first down.  Inc does nothing for you, and I don't think Reich was betting on a TO either. Maybe STs gaffe by Miami, or return by us, but is that worth the risk? Just plain bad IMO.

6.  That was poor decision making on Hoyer’s part but I think they used that personal because with so many WRs out Allen and Doyle were the best pass catchers today.

--- What I'm talking about is only two pass catchers going deep, while everyone else stayed in, in max protect. Both WRs were doubled/tripled. We had zero intention of getting a first down, it was TD or nothing. That was Reich getting out coached because Miami didn't send everyone, and  instead played coverage. Had zero to do with Hoyer making any decision. 

7.  Again see my point about adjusting the game plan to what Hoyer wanted.

--- See my point about that be either nonsense or plain bad decision making by Riech.

8.  The play calling has been predictable most of the year.  Reich, like Dungy, believes in out executing the other team.  They didn’t do that today.

--- Sounds good, but a cop out. Our game plan was vastly different to almost every JB type game plan. 

9.  No question Hoyer was awful today.

Reich helped him be awful. Little 1st team reps, then served him up a huge plate of "how to lose to a very bad team" game plan

bolded above

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

We are playing the dolphins. They have a bad defense. You keep running the ball. You don’t need a lot of points. We were never down big where we had to throw.

They tried to run in it in the first half it didn’t work.  

They went back to it in the second half and it worked much better and they stuck with it until the end of the game when they had no choice.  

That last drive wasn’t playcalling. If you watch each snap, you had open guys underneath on 2 of the 3, it’s just Hoyer tried to play hero and go for the end zone. Reich had plays set up for a first down, Hoyer didn’t take them. Watch his eyes, he made maybe one quick read every play and then immediately locked onto the one guy with a route in the end zone. Playcalling could have been better throughout, but that last possession was on Hoyer

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

bolded above

2.  Except it wasn’t the Colts ran it 9 times for 27 yards in the first half.

3, 4, 7.  It makes sense to Taylor your offense to what your QB is comfortable with.  The real problem is that they gave Jacoby almost all the snaps this week.  That should have not been the case If Jacoby was so questionable.  

5.  If you get one incomplete pass or a turnover you get a chance to score there.  Almost every coach in the NFL plays that situation that way.  You never know maybe you get a break down in punt coverage or you get a turnover.  

6.  Reich and Hoyer both said after the game the plan was not to go to the end zone there.  Hoyer thought he got good matchups (I disagree with him).  Again that was more poor decision making there than it was Frank.

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The Colts had three runs over five yards in the first half.  They had six that were three yards or less including four that were for no gain or a loss.  That’s the running game not working.  

Do you have any idea what I’m responding to?   I’ll spell it out for you.

1.  You’re starting to question the program Chris Ballard is running?

2.  Not holding Vinnie accountable has weakened the team?

3.   Soft practices and rest days have made the team softer?

I think all three are spectacularly lame Fan Boy nonsense hot takes.   Incredible over reaction.   I think you hurt your credibility with each point.

I didn’t see a single play of the game.   Dealing with Life and Death out here.  But it sounds like one of the worst games we’ve had in the last 7 and a half seasons.   Hoyer sounds like he had one of his worst games of his career.   Vinnie continues to struggle.   It’ll be interesting to see if moves are made this week?   I don’t blame anyone for being angry.   I just hope for some perspective and being reasonable.   I didn’t see any of that in your post. 

20 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The Colts had three runs over five yards in the first half.  They had six that were three yards or less including four that were for no gain or a loss.  That’s the running game not working.  

The dolphins are bad on offense. It doesn’t take a ton of points. You simplify and keep running. Eventually we would of worn them down. We acted like we were down 20 pts.

18 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

2.  Except it wasn’t the Colts ran it 9 times for 27 yards in the first half.

--- you ever heard the old adage, don't abandon the run?

3rd series  

--MM 5 yards on second down to the end for a first

- JW 7 yards on second down to the end

Aside from those which were very successful, almost all the runs were to the middle on predictable downs. NOT shocked those didn't work. The amount of deep passing was obscene.

3, 4, 7.  It makes sense to Taylor your offense to what your QB is comfortable with.  The real problem is that they gave Jacoby almost all the snaps this week.  That should have not been the case If Jacoby was so questionable.  

Hoyer is a backup, and should not dictate a game plan, especially when signed to "compiment" Brissett. I can see dumbing down a game plan for a backup, but going uber aggressive with a high amount of low % shots if foolish. Hoyer doesn't struggle with a "JB" game plan, so why change your core. Sorry, but "tailoring it advanced and more difficult" doesn't make any sense at all. 

5.  If you get one incomplete pass or a turnover you get a chance to score there.  Almost every coach in the NFL plays that situation that way.  You never know maybe you get a break down in punt coverage or you get a turnover.  

Disagree. Even the announcers were politely going WTH... There's more risk giving them more time, and less likelihood of us doing anything. The odds don't play.

6.  Reich and Hoyer both said after the game the plan was not to go to the end zone there.  Hoyer thought he got good matchups (I disagree with him).  Again that was more poor decision making there than it was Frank.

Weren't both WRs in the EZ? They were the only 2 out there, so Frank had to call max protect, which limits receiving option. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Didn't see this thread, and just posted the below in another thread...

1) Reich doesn't give Hoyer 1st team reps this week

2) Reich's game plan is to NOT run the D ball in the first half vs one of the worst rush Ds in the league... (probably the biggest bone headed move this week)

3) Reich calls several early read deep shots with 2 of our speed/deep threats injured and out, and after you waive the guy known for being a deep threat, and only one 4.4 guys left who's a RB... 

4) Reich calls very little of the same plays we've been successful at (clear out and drag, hitches, rubs, etc.). Calls very little of the same plays Hoyer did well last game.

5) Reich calls time outs at the end of the half, which could possible help Miami... Then when our D gets the stop, we do take a knee.

6) Reich sells out at the end with max protect and sends only two WRs giving Hoyer very little options when a first down is all that's needed.

7) Reich calling plays Hoyer has been historically bad at, instead of the easy fast stuff he serves up to JB.

8) Most play calling was simply bad or predictable, making us very predictable on late downs.

9) To all those who liked the Hoyer signing given his career 48/30 TD/INT ratio... How's all that "professionalism" and "mentoring" working out for you.... 

10) Reich cowtowing to Ebron's complaints about not getting the ball and forcing so many passes to him. Or it was on Hoyer...but I am guessing a combination of both. 

Almost like Reich sabotaged Hoyer. I am kidding of course...but what the hell was that game plan.

I'm not sure Reich's playcalling was bad today, we moved the ball well considering how bad our qb was today. Hoyer is bad, he is awful, it is what it is. Our young defensive backs played well today against that sucky dolphin offense, that same sucky dolphin offense torched the steelers 2 weeks ago until they quit playing after the 1st quarter. This Colt team is so much better than that steeler team it's no comparison but that awful steeler team is now 5-4, figure that one out people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

--- you ever heard the old adage, don't abandon the run?

3rd series  

--MM 5 yards on second down to the end for a first

- JW 7 yards on second down to the end

Aside from those which were very successful, almost all the runs were to the middle on predictable downs. NOT shocked those didn't work. The amount of deep passing was obscene.

Hoyer is a backup, and should not dictate a game plan, especially when signed to "compiment" Brissett. I can see dumbing down a game plan for a backup, but going uber aggressive with a high amount of low % shots if foolish. Hoyer doesn't struggle with a "JB" game plan, so why change your core. Sorry, but "tailoring it advanced and more difficult" doesn't make any sense at all. 

Disagree. Even the announcers were politely going WTH... There's more risk giving them more time, and less likelihood of us doing anything. The odds don't play.

Weren't both WRs in the EZ? They were the only 2 out there, so Frank had to call max protect, which limits receiving option. 

And they didn’t abandon the run they came back to in the second half and got 80 yards out of it.  It doesn’t change the fact that in the first half it didn’t work,  they had 9 carries for 27 yards.  15 of which came on one play so that’s 8 carries for 12 yards the rest of the half.  You listed the only other two successful runs they had in the first half. 

They couldn’t run more in the first half because they couldn’t get drives going with it because it wasn’t working.

Hoyer didn’t dictate the game plan.  They tailored the game plan to plays he was comfortable with.  That’s what you do with backup QBs.  With that said I agree I didn’t like all the deep shots and kept waiting for them to dump it underneath to backs or run screens to take advantage of Miami playing with 8 in the box.  They did that a little in the second half and here is a shocker that was when the offense started to move.  Now how much of the deep shots was because that was plan vs what Hoyer was deciding to do with the ball we won’t really know, we can get a better idea when the coaches tape comes out to see what other options their was but we still won’t know what the Colts wanted when the play was called.  Hoyer did say after the game that he was trying to take advantage of Miami playing so much man.  That sounds like he was trying to burn them with deep passes and it didn’t work clearly.  I also go back to something Jacoby said last week when he said Hoyer was making throws he wouldn’t.  That also tells me the two of them see different things.  Not shocking giving they are two different players.  

Gumble and Trent Green are normally clueless about most things so I wouldn’t use them as defense.  I’ve seen nearly every coach in the NFL play that situation that way, especially when their team is struggling and they need points.  

The max protect was called to get their tight ends in the game.  Most of those throws late were going to Ebron.  They weren’t all staying in to block.  In fact on the last play the Colts had someone running wide open just past Ebron.  Now that could be because his man broke to Ebron but they had other options out there.  Even Hoyer said in his post game he should have thrown in underneath to try to get the first down.  So like I said before I put that more on poor decision making by Hoyer.

2 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

I'm not sure Reich's playcalling was bad today, we moved the ball well considering how bad our qb was today. Hoyer is bad, he is awful, it is what it is. Our young defensive backs played well today against that sucky dolphin offense, that same sucky dolphin offense torched the steelers 2 weeks ago until they quit playing after the 1st quarter. This Colt team is so much better than that steeler team it's no comparison but that awful steeler team is now 5-4, figure that one out people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why was hoyer given that much flexibility. You have no WR and he is throwing it 40 times. That is bad coaching.

Don't know, but yea, we should have run a lot more, Hoyer had lots of open recievers today. I mean, if I were the coach Hoyer would not be on the team. But I will never criticize Reich, he should have been coach of the year last year. He's had to go with backups all season thus far and we are still 5-4. this team could have folded like the jest,bengals, falcons,any of those talentless disgraces, but there is strong character and leadership all the way through this team(not to mention loads of talent).

33 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The dolphins are bad on offense. It doesn’t take a ton of points. You simplify and keep running. Eventually we would of worn them down. We acted like we were down 20 pts.

Not if you keep going three and out you won’t.  That will wear your defense down even against a bad offense and if you can’t get anything going you will be forced too throw because you are too far behind.  

The Colts couldn’t sustain drives in the first half because the kept getting behind the chains due to the negative run plays making them have to pass because they were in third and long.

They could have maybe sprinkled in a couple more first down runs.  I will say one thing the Colts have done all year, and I think Miami caught on to this and was ready for it, was run the ball on second and long.  

Now the second half was a different game.  Up until the last two offensive drives the Colts had 16 runs to 13 passes and the run was working much better and they were leaning on it.  The last 13 plays were passes.  One was the INT right after the Miami field goal and the last drive of the game when they had to go to the air because of time and score.  So that caused it to look worse than it really was.  Up to that point it was 29 runs to 26 passes.  

36 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

10) Reich cowtowing to Ebron's complaints about not getting the ball and forcing so many passes to him. Or it was on Hoyer...but I am guessing a combination of both. 

Almost like Reich sabotaged Hoyer. I am kidding of course...but what the hell was that game plan.

Honestly I'm fine with them playing Ebron more, just not happy with the plays called to get it to him. We could have run clear outs all day and hit the drag regardless of who was running it. We got out coached plain and simple, and that's being nice. Every coach in this situation dumbs down the game plan for their backup. Instead, Reich injects jet-fuel to a QB who's biggest dig on him is throwing INTs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Honestly I'm fine with them playing Ebron more, just not happy with the plays called to get it to him. We could have run clear outs all day and hit the drag regardless of who was running it. We got out coached plain and simple, and that's being nice. Every coach in this situation dumbs down the game plan for their backup. Instead, Reich injects jet-fuel to a QB who's biggest dig on him is throwing INTs.

Part of the reason Hoyer throws INTs is because he likes to push the ball down the field.  Something people were praising him for last week and saying see this what has been missing from the offense with Jacoby.  Hoyer doesn’t like to check it down.  So his poor decision making has something to do with those INTs.  It’s not all on the play calls from the coach unless Frank told him you throw that ball down the field and ignore the checkdown game, which given how the offense looked with Luck and Jacoby under Frank I don’t think happened.  

It wasn’t Frank’s best called game I will admit that but Hoyer also made a lot of poor decisions today too.

35 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

And they didn’t abandon the run they came back to in the second half and got 80 yards out of it.  It doesn’t change the fact that in the first half it didn’t work,  they had 9 carries for 27 yards.  15 of which came on one play so that’s 8 carries for 12 yards the rest of the half.  You listed the only other two successful runs they had in the first half. 

They couldn’t run more in the first half because they couldn’t get drives going with it because it wasn’t working.

Hoyer didn’t dictate the game plan.  They tailored the game plan to plays he was comfortable with.  That’s what you do with backup QBs.  With that said I agree I didn’t like all the deep shots and kept waiting for them to dump it underneath to backs or run screens to take advantage of Miami playing with 8 in the box.  They did that a little in the second half and here is a shocker that was when the offense started to move.  Now how much of the deep shots was because that was plan vs what Hoyer was deciding to do with the ball we won’t really know, we can get a better idea when the coaches tape comes out to see what other options their was but we still won’t know what the Colts wanted when the play was called.  Hoyer did say after the game that he was trying to take advantage of Miami playing so much man.  That sounds like he was trying to burn them with deep passes and it didn’t work clearly.  I also go back to something Jacoby said last week when he said Hoyer was making throws he wouldn’t.  That also tells me the two of them see different things.  Not shocking giving they are two different players.  

Gumble and Trent Green are normally clueless about most things so I wouldn’t use them as defense.  I’ve seen nearly every coach in the NFL play that situation that way, especially when their team is struggling and they need points.  

The max protect was called to get their tight ends in the game.  Most of those throws late were going to Ebron.  They weren’t all staying in to block.  In fact on the last play the Colts had someone running wide open just past Ebron.  Now that could be because his man broke to Ebron but they had other options out there.  Even Hoyer said in his post game he should have thrown in underneath to try to get the first down.  So like I said before I put that more on poor decision making by Hoyer.

Look at the play by play on ESPN. If you don't see the 1st half has as predictable runs doomed to fail, and an over abundance of deep passes doomed to fail and be INT'd, I don't know what to tell you lol. 

The second half we were better running, because we ran more, and ran creatively. The passing play calls were still bad. 

Sorry, but you're never going to convince anyone that Reich did the right thing in terms of game plan with Hoyer. You simply don't increase the complexity and difficulty of your gameplan with a backup, especially not to the frequency to which we did. You dumb down and simplify for a back up. And you certainly don't go air raid with a guy who is known to throw INTs. Spin all you want, but it's silly.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Look at the play by play on ESPN. If you don't see the 1st half has as predictable runs doomed to fail, and an over abundance of deep passes doomed to fail and be INT'd, I don't know what to tell you lol. 

The second half we were better running, because we ran more, and ran creatively. The passing play calls were still bad. 

Sorry, but you're never going to convince anyone that Reich did the right thing in terms of game plan with Hoyer. You simply don't increase the complexity and difficulty of your gameplan with a backup, especially not to the frequency to which we did. You dumb down and simplify for a back up. And you certainly don't go air raid with a guy who is known to throw INTs. Spin all you want, but it's silly.

I don’t think frank made the game more complex.  I think Hoyer made more poor choices with the football that made it look too complex.  I go back to Jacoby saying last week Hoyer made some throws he wouldn’t have.  They can call the same play but if you have one guy who doesn’t like to take a chance with turnovers and and another who likes to push it down the field those two plays are going to look different.

I did look at the box score and watched the game.  Like I said would have liked to have seen a few more runs sprinkled in on first down and I do think Miami caught up to the Colts tendency to run on second and long and was ready for it which contributed to running struggles.  So from the stand point I will agree with you on it being predictable.  Right or wrong Frank, like Dungy, doesn’t think it matters if you are predictable as long as you out execute the other team and I think we can both agree today the Colts failed to do that.  Do I think maybe they could try a few other things and would like to see them do so?  Sure.  However, I am just saying the philosophy Frank believes in.  Is it the right philosophy?  Time will tell.  Today it clearly wasn’t but I bet if you ask Frank he will tell you it was more on how they failed to execute.   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Part of the reason Hoyer throws INTs is because he likes to push the ball down the field.  Something people were praising him for last week and saying see this what has been missing from the offense with Jacoby.  Hoyer doesn’t like to check it down.  So his poor decision making has something to do with those INTs.  It’s not all on the play calls from the coach unless Frank told him you throw that ball down the field and ignore the checkdown game, which given how the offense looked with Luck and Jacoby under Frank I don’t think happened.  

It wasn’t Frank’s best called game I will admit that but Hoyer also made a lot of poor decisions today too.

I'm not letting Hoyer off (I didn't like the signing in the first place). But the playcalling today was drastically different than JB's. 

Personally, I've never said I wanted air-raid type stuff. I just want some successful shots each game to keep Ds honest, and a QB that is capable of going downfield if needed. It wasn't needed today, yet it seemed a huge part of the game plan. Hoyer isn't going downfield without FR's approval. If he was ignoring Franks coaching, Reich would have been crystal clear. 

IMO, FR simply sheet the bed this week. He gave JB most of the 1st team reps, then pulled the plug late, and did a last minute game plan on a table napkin for Hoyer thinking it wouldn't matter because the Dolphins suck.

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t think frank made the game more complex.  I think Hoyer made more poor choices with the football that made it look too complex.  I go back to Jacoby saying last week Hoyer made some throws he wouldn’t have.  They can call the same play but if you have one guy who doesn’t like to take a chance with turnovers and and another who likes to push it down the field those two plays are going to look different.

I did look at the box score and watched the game.  Like I said would have liked to have seen a few more runs sprinkled in on first down and I do think Miami caught up to the Colts tendency to run on second and long and was ready for it which contributed to running struggles.  So from the stand point I will agree with you on it being predictable.  Right or wrong Frank, like Dungy, doesn’t think it matters if you are predictable as long as you out execute the other team and I think we can both agree today the Colts failed to do that.  Do I think maybe they could try a few other things and would like to see them do so?  Sure.  However, I am just saying the philosophy Frank believes in.  Is it the right philosophy?  Time will tell.  Today it clearly wasn’t but I bet if you ask Frank he will tell you it was more on how they failed to execute.   

Not sure what to tell you. IMO, the play calls were very different. Way more wide, and way less shallow crossing routes. The mix of run/pass was obviously different. IMO, Hoyer attempted executing what Reich asked him to execute. If he was going deep too much when other options were available, I'm sure Reich would have been crystal clear... And I don't think Hoyer would have continued to ignore Reich.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm not letting Hoyer off (I didn't like the signing in the first place). But the playcalling today was drastically different than JB's. 

Personally, I've never said I wanted air-raid type stuff. I just want some successful shots each game to keep Ds honest, and a QB that is capable of going downfield if needed. It wasn't needed today, yet it seemed a huge part of the game plan. Hoyer isn't going downfield without FR's approval. If he was ignoring Franks coaching, Reich would have been crystal clear. 

IMO, FR simply sheet the bed this week. He gave JB most of the 1st team reps, then pulled the plug late, and did a last minute game plan on a table napkin for Hoyer thinking it wouldn't matter because the Dolphins suck.

I agree giving Jacoby most of the first team reps when he was clearly so questionable was a huge mistake.  

I am not letting Frank off the hook either, I don’t think this was his best game as a play called.  I just think Hoyer made it look worse than it was.  

There is a middle ground here with the QB.  Frank calls play but doesn’t tell the QB most of the time hey throw it deep here or dump it off.  The coach trusts the QB to do the right thing based on what he reads and sees.  I did notice out of the locker room Hoyer was dumping it off a little more and the Colts started sustaining drives.  So I do think the coaches talked to Hoyer at the half and said hey stop looking deep.  

I also know in his post game presser Hoyer was talking about trying to go to the end zone at the end and he mentioned the throw to Ebron in the end zone and he said something along the lines of “I was trying to take advantage of them playing man and I saw Ebron and thought hey I have my big guy on a smaller guy if I get it up there he can make a play, maybe it would have been smarter to take something shorter and gone for the first down.”  Frank also said in his presser after the game the plan was not to go to the end zone on three straight plays.  

The truth probably lies in the middle in terms of who to blame, Hoyer or Frank.

21 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I agree giving Jacoby most of the first team reps when he was clearly so questionable was a huge mistake.  

I am not letting Frank off the hook either, I don’t think this was his best game as a play called.  I just think Hoyer made it look worse than it was.  

There is a middle ground here with the QB.  Frank calls play but doesn’t tell the QB most of the time hey throw it deep here or dump it off.  The coach trusts the QB to do the right thing based on what he reads and sees.  I did notice out of the locker room Hoyer was dumping it off a little more and the Colts started sustaining drives.  So I do think the coaches talked to Hoyer at the half and said hey stop looking deep.  

I also know in his post game presser Hoyer was talking about trying to go to the end zone at the end and he mentioned the throw to Ebron in the end zone and he said something along the lines of “I was trying to take advantage of them playing man and I saw Ebron and thought hey I have my big guy on a smaller guy if I get it up there he can make a play, maybe it would have been smarter to take something shorter and gone for the first down.”  Frank also said in his presser after the game the plan was not to go to the end zone on three straight plays.  

The truth probably lies in the middle in terms of who to blame, Hoyer or Frank.

Oh I blame both. I'm talking about the whole game, not just the end. But Frank is the boss. Either it was his game plan and calls, or Hoyer didn't listen and Frank failed to reel him in and make adjustments. Just so frustrating. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Oh I blame both. I'm talking about the whole game, not just the end. But Frank is the boss. Either it was his game plan and calls, or Hoyer didn't listen and Frank failed to reel him in and make adjustments. Just so frustrating. 

I am just sighting the end as peek into the mind of Hoyer.  That’s how he sees the game.  I do think they tried to reel him in the second half which is why they started moving the ball with more dump off type passes.  They just couldn’t finish in the redzone and at the end Hoyer reverted back to trying to beat the man for a big play rather than taking what the defense gave him.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am just sighting the end as peek into the mind of Hoyer.  That’s how he sees the game.  I do think they tried to reel him in the second half which is why they started moving the ball with more dump off type passes.  They just couldn’t finish in the redzone and at the end Hoyer reverted back to trying to beat the man for a big play rather than taking what the defense gave him.

IDK. I think Frank was all in, in the first half. Then tried to make adjustments to late.

At the end though, the one play call itself, max protect with only two receivers (who were both in the EZ), was a Reich call, not Hoyer (unless Hoyer changed it at the line, which I doubt). The other two plays are debatable. 

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

8.  The play calling has been predictable most of the year.  Reich, like Dungy, believes in out executing the other team.  They didn’t do that today.

I’ve said it all season, we like to telegraph what we’re going to do. If you’ve got a surgeon like Peyton Manning to carry you through that it’s not so bad. 

When you’re trying to do it with Jacoby Brissett (or any other of our QBs) ... Probably might should have a better plan than that. 

I can’t lie: at this point I’m starting to waiver on Frank a bit. I’m starting to feel like he is to coaching what Brissett is to being a QB: can be fairly decent, but not a big time weapon. 

Getting pretty tired of watching the same scenario play out time after time. 

Run on 1st down.

Pass for 3-4 yards on 2nd and 3rd. (one which will be dropped, or overthrown) 

My absolute favorite is we need 9 yards for the first, so let's throw a (late) 6 yard pass to a receiver who is not in motion, or a comeback route. 

• Like 1