Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
pacolts56

Official Crow Eating Thread

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

This board exists to discuss a lot of things, and I feel like that's a misleading statement. 

 

This thread is not about the team at all. It's about the fans who were doubting us in the game. I agree, it's kind of a childish thread idea, but I'm ok with that because every hater deserves a "look at me now". I dont think this thread is directed at people like you. I think your view on Jacoby is perfectly fine. 

 

As far as the statements you cite, I agree and I dont make those kinds of statements.

 

My entire viewpoint is directed at unnecessary negativity. Over the top criticism. That's it. We all know it when we read it. And I dont think anybody enjoys that kind of thing. 

 

I am also ok with the superiority in the tone of my comments. It's no different than your labeling of my views as "juvenile". If we both believe it, and we keep it about the opinions, its perfectly alright. That's just good debate.

 

I find the two bolded statements laughable, but whatever.

 

I don't have a problem with the purpose of this thread, or its execution. Most have been good sports about it, which is easier when your team wins. (I can't imagine an "I told you we sucked, we just lost to the Raiders at home, where are all you fanboys who said we were going to win?" thread going over as well.)

 

I spoke up when the fandom test stuff started coming up again. Measuring other people's fandom doesn't go well, and that's what I was responding to.

 

And you've been around long enough to know that just like I address this topic head-on, I confront the overly negative posters directly, probably moreso. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

For some, it's easy to dismiss criticism as 'making up stuff' or 'pushing a negative perspective,' especially if they disagree.

 

This is happening a lot right now, specific to Brissett. Saying 'I think JB needs to produce more' is being treated like you're saying unmentionable things about his mother's unmentionables. 

I am not dismissing criticism. I am criticising phoney statements about stuff which are clearly just not true. I like to see a fair critique, but we don't need it stuffed down our throats in every thread.

 

To prove my point on being critical, I have just seen Sunday's game and I don't think JB is the long term answer to our QB situation. When we needed some critical completions, he was not good enough. We cannot rely on the oline to trash our opponents every week like they did v the Chiefs.

 

24 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

For some, it's easy to dismiss criticism as 'making up stuff' or 'pushing a negative perspective,' especially if they disagree.

 

This is happening a lot right now, specific to Brissett. Saying 'I think JB needs to produce more' is being treated like you're saying unmentionable things about his mother's unmentionables. 

I am not dismissing criticism. I am criticising phoney statements about stuff which are clearly just not true. I like to see a fair critique, but we don't need it stuffed down our throats in every thread.

 

To prove my point on being critical, I have just seen Sunday's game and I don't think JB is the long term answer to our QB situation. When we needed some critical completions, he was not good enough. We cannot rely on the oline to trash our opponents every week like they did v the Chiefs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Nadine said:

it's the same air of superiority of the people who call non negative fans 'homers'

 

I sat next to a guy at a game once who did nothing but complain LOUDLY the entire game.  I could not wait to get away from him. His wife couldn't so, I felt sorry for her.  The game made him so very unhappy, it really was surprising that he came at all. I didn't question that he was a fan though. He was just miserable company.

 

I'm not taking sides here.  The only issue I have is when people over post whatever their opinion is because it annoys the living daylights out of everyone.

 

They are the people who come here to vent and only to vent.  When they aren't angry, they have no interest in talking to other fans. They're not actually interesting in talking.........just in yelling and arguing.

 

That happened here when Trent Richardson was on the team.  He really pushed some people's buttons and they seemed to need to vent about it all day every day.

 

I also have a problem with both sides questioning each others fandom. It derails most discussions because it's insulting

Great post. Who wants to read or be around someone that spews constant negativity? I know I do not. You like Superman are Mods here and know when you see a Troll easily. Anymore I try not to respond to most of them haha 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Devildog said:

Well, I'm tired of people being so negative and being a Debbie Downer.  If they don't have faith in your team, go to root for the likes of the Patriots or the Chiefs that most people think they will always win. Let me ask you this, do you tell your kid who plays a sport that they're gonna lose to a more superior team? I think not. You show up to support them and wish them the best.  You don't tell other people, "I think my kid's team is going to get blown 50-7 ."  I'm not even from Indy but I paid thousands of dollars in Colts merchandise because I root for them to win.  I'm in the military and you think you want to hear people say we're gonna lose to the Chinese military or Russia? Sorry for the rant but i think I'm not in the wrong here for supporting my team 100%.

I go by odds and logic. We had a lack of talent and lots of injuries. Vegas had us as 11 point underdogs. I'm not going to have random faith in my team when every factor proves otherwise. I'll root for them to win, but probability says they lose 9 times out of 10. 

 

We have no control if our sports team wins. I could tell my kid if he plays well, he could possibly win his team the game, so bad comparison. 

 

As for the military I could care less, and you're not wrong for supporting your team 100%, but you're wrong if you expect people to put "blind faith" in the Colts, when in reality, it's a number of other factors mentioned that decides the game. Probability>Possibility

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, braveheartcolt said:

You do know that typing 'through' rather than 'thru' would have only cost you about 1 second?

 

tenor.gif?itemid=5412254

 

 

 

 

 

{I resemble this remark...}

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

I am not dismissing criticism. I am criticising phoney statements about stuff which are clearly just not true. I like to see a fair critique, but we don't need it stuffed down our throats in every thread.

 

To prove my point on being critical, I have just seen Sunday's game and I don't think JB is the long term answer to our QB situation. When we needed some critical completions, he was not good enough. We cannot rely on the oline to trash our opponents every week like they did v the Chiefs

 

That's all very fair. I've seen plenty of fair evaluation met with derision here over the last few weeks, though. Not necessarily by you, I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I go by odds and logic. We had a lack of talent and lots of injuries. Vegas had us as 11 point underdogs. I'm not going to have random faith in my team when every factor proves otherwise. I'll root for them to win, but probability says they lose 9 times out of 10. 

 

We have no control if our sports team wins. I could tell my kid if he plays well, he could possibly win his team the game, so bad comparison. 

 

As for the military I could care less, and you're not wrong for supporting your team 100%, but your wrong if you expect people to put "blind faith" in the Colts, when in reality, it's a number of other factors mentioned that decides the game. Probability>Possibility

Picking against the Colts Sunday made complete sense. We were 11 point underdogs and I admit it was a big upset. I think some others and myself were just irritated by people predicting we had no chance at all and predicting scores like 40-10, etc.. On a Colts board that just looks trollish or bad at worse. You picking the Chiefs was what most people did. Hardly nobody had us winning. Jacoby obviously isn't Andrew Luck so I get that part of people being critical of him as well but Jacoby is proving to be good IMO. Andrew was very good and great at times. The problem with drafting another QB is, there is no Andrew Luck waiting in the wings and Chad Kelly's character should be questioned IMO if it came down to playing him. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Picking against the Colts Sunday made complete sense. We were 11 point underdogs and I admit it was a big upset. I think some others and myself were just irritated by people predicting we had no chance at all and predicting scores like 40-10, etc.. On a Colts board that just looks trollish or bad at worse. You picking the Chiefs was what most people did. Hardly nobody had us winning. Jacoby obviously isn't Andrew Luck so I get that part of people being critical of him as well but Jacoby is proving to be good IMO. Andrew was very good and great at times. The problem with drafting another QB is, there is no Andrew Luck waiting in the wings and Chad Kelly's character should be questioned IMO if it came down to playing him. 

The only downside to the game was Brissett played poorly IMO. The O-Line looked incredible though, Mack found holes, and the rookies did a decent job. We head into the bye week with a big win, and we should get our defense back.

 

I will say this win over KC has me very curious for the rest of the season!:thmup:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The only downside to the game was Brissett played poorly IMO. The O-Line looked incredible though, Mack found holes, and the rookies did a decent job. We head into the bye week with a big win, and we should get our defense back.

 

I will say this win over KC has me very curious for the rest of the season!:thmup:

I wouldn't say Brissett played poorly but I would say average. We are not solely depending on him to win games so compared to Luck his play does look bad at times. Luck carried us for so long so most are used to seeing the QB throwing for a lot of yards, etc.. This team is built differently. We are now a run 1st team. The Patriots were like in the early 2000's before Brady really got great, the Cowboys were like that as well in the 90's. Aikman hardly ever threw for 300 yards but they won a bunch because of their O.Line and running game.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

tenor.gif?itemid=5412254

 

 

 

 

 

{I resemble this remark...}

Did you also think my post was really about grammar? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't have a problem with the purpose of this thread, or its execution. Most have been good sports about it, which is easier when your team wins. (I can't imagine an "I told you we sucked, we just lost to the Raiders at home, where are all you fanboys who said we were going to win?" thread going over as well.)

 

Agreed. And I respect folks that poke at themselves a little bit too.  But not pick on each other.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Did you also think my post was really about grammar? 

 

Not specifically, more poking fun at myself. But both spelling and grammar issues are rampant on the internet. Have been for decades. And those that point them out too. With twitter, it has effectively made it acceptable, at least to me.  But I'm probably on the list here-

 

https://twitter.com/_grammar_?lang=en

 

And I always get Grammarly pop-ups on my browser.  

 

So.... grammar-police-or-spelling-police_o_3388

 

:hat:

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I'll eat (crow) before I get started...I was wrong about Marlon Mack not being the guy, and that the team should look for a replacement. I think he continues to improve, and that his combination of vision, lateral agility, and burst accompany our oline beautifully. 

 

Now, Chris Ballard has built an amazing team. That display was about as good as it gets. The depth is a real strength, spending all of those picks on the defensive side of the ball these last few years is really showing. They lose little to nothing while being able to seamlessly substitute players at all 3 levels of the defense, and to accomplish the feat they did without arguably their 2 best players --on defense-- is nothing short of remarkable. Really proud to be a Colts fan, and extremely optimistic about the coming years. 

 

Now, Jacoby Brissett lol. I feel like the team is winning around Jacoby at QB, and not because Jacoby is QB. As many have said, he can play well and help us to not lose games, but I'm not sure he's ever gonna be a guy to go out and win you a game. We won that game on defense, in the trenches, and by dominating the run game and by extension the Time Of Possession. I can only help but think what this team would be with an elite QB at the helm, I'm all but certain they'd be a SB team. The coming 2020 NFL Draft has 4-5 guys that are at this point in time considered 1st rounders. Tua, Herbert, Fromm, Burrow, and Hurts. Love and Eason seem to be playing their way out. I hope that they select one of these guys with one of those first 3 picks, inside the first 2 rounds. Whoever they select could be brought along like Daniel Jones was this year, or even the whole year if necessary. Except, in this instance, the guy would be coming into a great situation, with a team that's already built to win, and incredible pass protection and decent to good receiving options (that could also be improved next offseason via draft/FA). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Superman said:

 

I'm tired of people telling other people how to be good fans. People experience things differently, and that's okay.

 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

 

No one accused you of being in the wrong for supporting your team. And you, of all people, know how much this is NOT the military that we're talking about, so let's not go there. It's also not like parenting a little leaguer, so let's not go there either. 

 

You can disagree with people who experience their fandom in a different way than you. But it doesn't make you a better fan. There can be people who are upset with their team -- and I'm not just talking about the Colts, I'm talking about sports fans in general -- but still support their team, go to games, buy merch, and root like crazy on Sundays. But that doesn't mean they have to be all rah-rah, they don't have to express their fandom the same way you do.

 

Where I have a problem is when you say stuff like the bolded. It's over the line to tell someone that, if you don't agree with their fandom or how they express it, that they don't get to root for the team. That's not up to you. Every fan isn't the same. This whole 'either you support the team just like I do or you're not a real fan' stuff is out of bounds.

All I said was to not doubt the team you're supposed to be rooting for.  And yet you go on telling everyone that you're tired of people how to be a good fans and people experience things differently and that's okay.  Ummm, okay, I guess the way I voiced my opinion is not okay in your world.  I don't force people to change and I really don't care if they do or don't.  Just don't put words in my mouth and say I disagree with people who experience their fandom in a different way than I do because I never agreed nor disagreed with anybody.  I'm here voicing my support to the team and not bash on people like you do.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I go by odds and logic. We had a lack of talent and lots of injuries. Vegas had us as 11 point underdogs. I'm not going to have random faith in my team when every factor proves otherwise. I'll root for them to win, but probability says they lose 9 times out of 10. 

 

We have no control if our sports team wins. I could tell my kid if he plays well, he could possibly win his team the game, so bad comparison. 

 

As for the military I could care less, and you're not wrong for supporting your team 100%, but you're wrong if you expect people to put "blind faith" in the Colts, when in reality, it's a number of other factors mentioned that decides the game. Probability>Possibility

I'm wrong for putting "blind faith" in the Colts?  I don't gamble so I could care less.  I also could care less if the Colts lose or win but I do care about rooting for the the Colts to win regardless if they are underdogs.  By the way, don't put words in my mouth.  I don't expect anybody to change and I'm not here to bash people.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2019 at 2:54 PM, Superman said:

I'm tired of people telling other people how to be good fans. People experience things differently, and that's okay.

 

I'm guilty of doing this from time to time.  I have a very strong opinion about this, though.

 

I used to take being a Colts fan WAY too serious.  I was obsessed with the Colts winning.  I went into a three-day depression after the Colts lost to the Pats in the 2003 AFCCG.  My happiness was literally dependent on the Colts winning games, and that was not healthy.

 

I wasn't enjoying the experience of just being a fan of the Colts and of the game of football itself.  I've since learned to just sit back and enjoy the ride.  Enjoy the game, win or lose.  Enjoy the little things and not get so hung-up on the big things.  The Colts may never win another SB, and that's ok.

 

So when I see people doing what I used to do, and constantly pointing out the negatives that need to be improved, I see that unhealthy obsession with winning that I used to have.  We're talking about a GAME.  A pastime.  Something that should bring you joy.

 

If being a fan doesn't bring you joy because the team isn't good enough and isn't winning enough, then maybe the problem isn't the team, it's how you experience being a fan.  Some people take it way too seriously.  It's just a game.  :2c:

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^^ POST OF THE YEAR.  Never count this team out,  players, coaches, we have a good team here.  Win or lose, this is the team I choose to support.  You can hang the homer tag on me, I will wear it with pride.

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was so disappointed with the fan base last week, with everyone being so gloomy and such. However, sifting through this thread and seeing how everyone is agreeing and looking up, without a naysayer in sight, I am reminded of how amazing this group of people that make up our forum really is. I love you all, and like everyone else here, I will follow these Colts until the end of time! Go Blue!!

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I was so disappointed with the fan base last week, with everyone being so gloomy and such. However, sifting through this thread and seeing how everyone is agreeing and looking up, without a naysayer in sight, I am reminded of how amazing this group of people that make up our forum really is. I love you all, and like everyone else here, I will follow these Colts until the end of time! Go Blue!!


Our fan base is depressed , and we won. Sometimes you can be 3-2, but it doesn’t feel like a good 3-2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe average age of the fan comes into play here as well. If your barometer for QB play/standards is 12&18, this subconsciously is a big change to your football brain. 

 

Teams can win without HOF QB's.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

 

I'm guilty of doing this from time to time.  I have a very strong opinion about this, though.

 

I used to take being a Colts fan WAY too serious.  I was obsessed with the Colts winning.  I went into a three-day depression after the Colts lost to the Pats in the 2003 AFCCG.  My happiness was literally dependent on the Colts winning games, and that was not healthy.

 

I wasn't enjoying the experience of just being a fan of the Colts and of the game of football itself.  I've since learned to just sit back and enjoy the ride.  Enjoy the game, win or lose.  Enjoy the little things and not get so hung-up on the big things.  The Colts may never win another SB, and that's ok.

 

So when I see people doing what I used to do, and constantly pointing out the negatives that need to be improved, I see that unhealthy obsession with winning that I used to have.  We're talking about a GAME.  A pastime.  Something that should bring you joy.

 

If being a fan doesn't bring you joy because the team isn't good enough and isn't winning enough, then maybe the problem isn't the team, it's how you experience being a fan.  Some people take it way too seriously.  It's just a game.  :2c:

 

That's good perspective, and for the most part I agree with it. 

 

When the Colts lost to the Jets in the 2010 playoffs, I was super upset. That season was really up and down, and then losing in that manner -- get the lead, bad kickoff coverage, bad timeout, bad pass defense, game-ending FG, all in our building -- it was bad. 

 

About 10 minutes after the game ended, I got a phone call. My brother in law had just died of a heart attack. I suddenly didn't care about the outcome of the game. It kind of snapped me back to reality. And while there's not anything necessarily wrong with being upset when your team loses, especially in the playoffs, there's still real life going on, and this is still a game, meant for enjoyment and entertainment.

 

So that's all super dramatic and everything, and it's not meant to say that fans can't be up and down with the team. Just saying that it helps me take a step back at times.

 

That said -- I am not really taking issue with people who are overly dramatic (IMO) in response to wins and losses. That's what fans do. But it's unfair to act like being down on your team or disagreeing with something the team does means you're not a real fan. My fandom is different from your fandom, which is different from the next person's fandom. And it's not our place to judge the quality of each other's fandom based on some arbitrary test of loyalty. 

 

And of course, all this is my opinion, as a fan. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, The Old Crow said:


Our fan base is depressed , and we won. Sometimes you can be 3-2, but it doesn’t feel like a good 3-2. 

To me our 3-2 feels great considering Luck retired. We are showing we have a good coaching staff. Also the reason why this 3-2 feels great is because we have a great running game and we could easily be 4-1 in reality had Vinny made his kicks in the opener. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, IinD said:

I believe average age of the fan comes into play here as well. If your barometer for QB play/standards is 12&18, this subconsciously is a big change to your football brain. 

 

Teams can win without HOF QB's.

This, I am 48 years old and have seen the worst of times as a Colts fan. Schlichter, Pagel, to George, etc.. People that were born in 1984 or after (35 and under crowd) are used to Peyton and Luck. If you are 35 years old for example, one would've been only 14 when Peyton came into the league so that is what one has always known. You had to endure 1 season of Curt Painter (2011) and that has been it. Luckily for us it looks like Brissett is good and not a scrub as a starter.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are certainly more important things in life that sport. Contrary to what a very famous British football (soccer) manager once said: "football is not a matter of life and death. It's more important than that".

 

I don't think I have ever questioned anyone's fandom on this forum, but as -posters', I do query why some are just so relentlessly negative.

 

I know I shouldn't get vexed by such behaviour, but occasionally I have a rant. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

vision, lateral agility,

 

Marlon Mack has this in bunches.  Health is a concern but the kid is almost perfect for this offensive line.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

There are certainly more important things in life that sport. Contrary to what a very famous British football (soccer) manager once said: "football is not a matter of life and death. It's more important than that".

 

I don't think I have ever questioned anyone's fandom on this forum, but as -posters', I do query why some are just so relentlessly negative.

 

I know I shouldn't get vexed by such behaviour, but occasionally I have a rant. 

Family, good friends, and work are most important in life no doubt. That is just real life and being around the one's you love and supporting yourself so one can live well. Outside of that many take sports real serious when rooting for their favorite teams. I take it serious but I have mellowed compared to how I was when I was in my 20's and 30's. When I started to age I realized other things besides sports are just as important. I still get a little upset when the Colts or Cubs lose don't get me wrong though lmao .

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, crow ain't bad with a lot of salt and ketchup. I have read this entire thread and have seen the error of my ways. I have always taken this game too seriously. Playing the game and watching your favorite team was on the same plane. I took last year off from getting involved or watching the sport to get a breather. Got really excited about this years prospects to only see Luck retire. I watched the kc game to see just how bad they were going to get beat. That attitude must be some kind of defense mechanism. You can't be hurt if you expect it I suppose. 

Instead of focusing on the results, I think I will spend some time on the mechanics of the game maybe from a coaches point of view. yeh, I would like to have Unitas, Jones, Harbuagh, Manning or Luck at qb. But people in Hell want icewater too.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am likely known for being a positive type of fan. I do remember however, letting sports and the results of sports affect my day....week....season...etc. I now try to convey my messages in a way that does not ridicule, but show by example..an alternative way to appreciate the Colts. Sometimes when the negativity gets stupid, I join the fray, and probably defend too much, rather than just go away.

 

That said, I also feel like the Colts are part of my family. I stand up for them. When a poster has an opinion, no matter what it is, I take for their opinion. When I see the same point being driven home by that same poster....over and over, I will offer my own view. I try to make sure I say in a way that is quite clear, that is is also my opinion. I use terms like "appears", and "seems to me". 

 

I also used to repost those posts in negative threads that had lots of posts that didn't "age" well. Now, I repost the ones that were correct, again, as an example of an alternative way of thinking.

 

Lastly, there is one thing that I cannot ignore. It is the common inclusion of everyone to validate one's point. Example would be, "No one expected us to win"....or "We all know he sucks". That will get a rebuke from me every time, usually in the form of "Feel free to stand alone in your opinion", or I will change the post in my reply and say, "Fixed it for you". 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I am likely known for being a positive type of fan. I do remember however, letting sports and the results of sports affect my day....week....season...etc. I now try to convey my messages in a way that does not ridicule, but show by example..an alternative way to appreciate the Colts. Sometimes when the negativity gets stupid, I join the fray, and probably defend too much, rather than just go away.

 

That said, I also feel like the Colts are part of my family. I stand up for them. When a poster has an opinion, no matter what it is, I take for their opinion. When I see the same point being driven home by that same poster....over and over, I will offer my own view. I try to make sure I say in a way that is quite clear, that is is also my opinion. I use terms like "appears", and "seems to me". 

 

I also used to repost those posts in negative threads that had lots of posts that didn't "age" well. Now, I repost the ones that were correct, again, as an example of an alternative way of thinking.

 

Lastly, there is one thing that I cannot ignore. It is the common inclusion of everyone to validate one's point. Example would be, "No one expected us to win"....or "We all know he sucks". That will get a rebuke from me every time, usually in the form of "Feel free to stand alone in your opinion", or I will change the post in my reply and say, "Fixed it for you". 

I think at times I am a little too tough on the people being critical of the team. I am a person that respects most people's opinions. I am even getting better at that. I am such a positive person so at times I just get annoyed at some of the negative stuff I read about Brissett and the team. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Superman said:

My fandom is different from your fandom, which is different from the next person's fandom. And it's not our place to judge the quality of each other's fandom based on some arbitrary test of loyalty.

 

I forget that sometimes.  I need to remember that the only thing I can control is my reaction to what goes on around me.  I can't worry about how others react to the same things.

 

If someone wants to freak out and be a pessimistic negative nancy, I can't do anything about it.  Heck, that might be how some people find joy.  haha

 

All I can do is keep being a positive optimistic fan.  Slap my blue-colored glasses on and call me a Homer!

 

Homer-Simpson-Wearing-Sunglasses.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way I see it, you can be a big fan and love your team but also have a rant when you see bad performances. I will always be a Colts fan even if we have awful seasons (like we have in the past) but that doesn't mean I cant get * off when I see us giving up 3rd down after 3rd down for example. I see it more as being passionate, but I don't lose sleep or hold a grudge over bad play or a lost game that's for sure.

 

It's no fun if everyone is just like 'ah well onto the next one :)'. This is a discussion board and opinions of all types are welcome even if they are way over the top and negative lol - makes for some entertaining reading at least. Competitive sport isn't about being okay with being average and fans shouldn't see it that way either. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2019 at 1:55 PM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

One thing I'll eat (crow) before I get started...I was wrong about Marlon Mack not being the guy, and that the team should look for a replacement. I think he continues to improve, and that his combination of vision, lateral agility, and burst accompany our oline beautifully. 

 

Now, Chris Ballard has built an amazing team. That display was about as good as it gets. The depth is a real strength, spending all of those picks on the defensive side of the ball these last few years is really showing. They lose little to nothing while being able to seamlessly substitute players at all 3 levels of the defense, and to accomplish the feat they did without arguably their 2 best players --on defense-- is nothing short of remarkable. Really proud to be a Colts fan, and extremely optimistic about the coming years. 

 

Now, Jacoby Brissett lol. I feel like the team is winning around Jacoby at QB, and not because Jacoby is QB. As many have said, he can play well and help us to not lose games, but I'm not sure he's ever gonna be a guy to go out and win you a game. We won that game on defense, in the trenches, and by dominating the run game and by extension the Time Of Possession. I can only help but think what this team would be with an elite QB at the helm, I'm all but certain they'd be a SB team. The coming 2020 NFL Draft has 4-5 guys that are at this point in time considered 1st rounders. Tua, Herbert, Fromm, Burrow, and Hurts. Love and Eason seem to be playing their way out. I hope that they select one of these guys with one of those first 3 picks, inside the first 2 rounds. Whoever they select could be brought along like Daniel Jones was this year, or even the whole year if necessary. Except, in this instance, the guy would be coming into a great situation, with a team that's already built to win, and incredible pass protection and decent to good receiving options (that could also be improved next offseason via draft/FA). 

I get that recency bias is a factor here, but just 2 weeks ago, Brissett more or less put the team on his back when Matt Ryan was threatening to take the game over, led 2 drives that devoured most of the remaining clock, including an excellent 4 minute drill to seal the game away.

 

In different games, different facets of the team are going to shine, and any given facet can also struggle in any given game.  That includes the QB.  Even the very best QB in the world sometimes have to settle for an ugly win.  For Brissett, this was an ugly win. 

 

It's absolutely fair to say that Brissett struggled in that game, especially in the red zone, because he clearly did.  But when the guy literally bailed the team out 2 weeks ago (with obvious kudos being given to the RB corps as well) I feel like it's a little harsh to be too down on Jacoby after this one game and say things like "he can't take the game over."  Especially because he's literally done it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2019 at 12:05 AM, IinD said:

Teams can win without HOF QB's.

this team could win some games with any qb, they are 5th in rushing.  they could be a super bowl contender with a good passing game though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ScotColt said:

The way I see it, you can be a big fan and love your team but also have a rant when you see bad performances. I will always be a Colts fan even if we have awful seasons (like we have in the past) but that doesn't mean I cant get * off when I see us giving up 3rd down after 3rd down for example. I see it more as being passionate, but I don't lose sleep or hold a grudge over bad play or a lost game that's for sure.

 

It's no fun if everyone is just like 'ah well onto the next one :)'. This is a discussion board and opinions of all types are welcome even if they are way over the top and negative lol - makes for some entertaining reading at least. Competitive sport isn't about being okay with being average and fans shouldn't see it that way either. 

I feel the same way.  

I enjoy telling it the way I see it and seeing others discuss the same.  Unfortunately there are some on each side of the spectrum who do not agree.  Some people only see the bad and some only see the good.  I think the Colts will win several games because of Brissett and his safe throws and ball control drives.   I also think he will lose some games because of his passing limitations.  Hopefully the team can mask those like they did against KC.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

I get that recency bias is a factor here, but just 2 weeks ago, Brissett more or less put the team on his back when Matt Ryan was threatening to take the game over, led 2 drives that devoured most of the remaining clock, including an excellent 4 minute drill to seal the game away.

 

In different games, different facets of the team are going to shine, and any given facet can also struggle in any given game.  That includes the QB.  Even the very best QB in the world sometimes have to settle for an ugly win.  For Brissett, this was an ugly win. 

 

It's absolutely fair to say that Brissett struggled in that game, especially in the red zone, because he clearly did.  But when the guy literally bailed the team out 2 weeks ago (with obvious kudos being given to the RB corps as well) I feel like it's a little harsh to be too down on Jacoby after this one game and say things like "he can't take the game over."  Especially because he's literally done it.

 

I'm looking at Jacoby as a QB, not the eventual outcomes of games, or whether we won in convincing fashion or not. I'm looking at the guy from a perspective as to ascertain "Can he get better" and "Can this guy get to a SB level". So far both of those answers are no. We won that game against KC because we dominated the LOS and ran the ball down their throats. I've watched each game multiple times, and what I keep coming away with are 3 major flaws: 1) He keeps moving/breaking the pocket when there isn't any pressure, which is causing pressure 2) He stares at his primary read, and rarely goes thru his progressions, even though he has one of the best pass blocking units in the league, which should afford him more than enough time to find the best available option. He's leaving a lot of points out there, I'd say at least 30-35% of the time he's not passing the ball to the best option available, and guys are wide open. 3) He has an inability to put touch on passes where it should be brought in softly or laid over the top. He throws the greater majority of his passes much harder than they should be, it leads to drops. 

 

If I'm noticing these things, I can assure you Ballard/Reich are as well. Just don't be surprised when we draft a quarterback next year. It's not a detriment to Jacoby, he could probably win us quite a few games each year going forward. But it would be a product of him staying out of the way, and managing the game, not going out and putting up 435 yards with 5 TDs and 0 picks and absolutely carrying the team because we weren't able to establish the run. Teams are gonna adjust quick, they're gonna move to stop the run, and I don't think Jacoby is gonna be able to win games for us at that point. But again guys, these are just my opinions, and I'm entitled to them just like any of you are. At least I take the due diligence to study and back up what I'm saying, which is more than I can say for many. Go Colts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2019 at 10:59 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

tenor.gif?itemid=5412254

 

 

 

 

 

{I resemble this remark...}

OK, after reading this forum for years, proper English seems to be an elusive skill. Using 'then' for 'than', ambiguous pronouns, improper verb tense, bad spelling. Yet somehow the message gets through … sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

 

I'm looking at Jacoby as a QB, not the eventual outcomes of games, or whether we won in convincing fashion or not. I'm looking at the guy from a perspective as to ascertain "Can he get better"

 

Yup, player evaluation.   We do it for most positions.  But QB is the most important.

 

21 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

and "Can this guy get to a SB level". So far both of those answers are no.

 

Define SB level?  And what indicators (besides the past performance is indicative of future results) say he has hit his ceiling?

 

21 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

We won that game against KC because we dominated the LOS and ran the ball down their throats. I've watched each game multiple times, and what I keep coming away with are 3 major flaws: 1) He keeps moving/breaking the pocket when there isn't any pressure, which is causing pressure 2) He stares at his primary read, and rarely goes thru his progressions, even though he has one of the best pass blocking units in the league, which should afford him more than enough time to find the best available option. He's leaving a lot of points out there, I'd say at least 30-35% of the time he's not passing the ball to the best option available, and guys are wide open. 3) He has an inability to put touch on passes where it should be brought in softly or laid over the top. He throws the greater majority of his passes much harder than they should be, it leads to drops. 

 

So where does this backup QB forced to be a starter currently compare to the other 31 starters (including recently drafted rookies)? And since he is at his ceiling, as you note above,  many/all of the others ranked below him will pass him, this is the concern, yes?

 

21 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

If I'm noticing these things, I can assure you Ballard/Reich are as well.

 

I can assure you they already know more about JB7, Hoyer, and CK from everyday meetings, practice and scout team activities/scrimmages. The coaches game film (all 22) is extra info. For fans, it is the only info.

 

21 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Just don't be surprised when we draft a quarterback next year. It's not a detriment to Jacoby, he could probably win us quite a few games each year going forward. But it would be a product of him staying out of the way, and managing the game, not going out and putting up 435 yards with 5 TDs and 0 picks and absolutely carrying the team because we weren't able to establish the run.

 

 

If you cant establish the run, the best DC's will tee off on the pass game and shut it down, especially in cold,windy weather. And teams will generally see the best DC's/defenses and worst weather in the playoffs.  Peyton Manning's aren't just hanging on trees ready for someone to pick them. Colts would be lucky to land a QB that becomes like a Matt Stafford, or Russell Wilson level, let alone the next Peyton, Patrick, or Tommy.  Teams play QB merry go round hunting for that franchise level guy.

 

Does CK have the ability to be "putting up 435 yards with 5 TDs and 0 picks and absolutely carrying the team", as you put it? 

 

21 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Teams are gonna adjust quick, they're gonna move to stop the run, and I don't think Jacoby is gonna be able to win games for us at that point.

 

This is what we are all waiting for. Can the run game get shut down, and if so did the create a defense weakness the pass offense can exploit; and will JB7 take advantage.  It seems many have already decided JB7 will be taken to the wood shed.  I trust Reich to have a game plan the JB7 can execute in those situations. There's a minimum 11 more games to see what not only JB7 is made of, but Reich, Sirriani, and Marcus Brady.

 

21 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

But again guys, these are just my opinions, and I'm entitled to them just like any of you are. At least I take the due diligence to study and back up what I'm saying, which is more than I can say for many. Go Colts!

 

Opinions are wonderful, we all have them. Predictions are much harder. Not many anywhere predicted Colts would beat the Chiefs in Arrowhead Stadium. But if you are right and teams shut down the run and the pass game never materializes, then maybe CK gets called up and the Colts record is poor enough to make an effort for a QB candidate they feel can eventually become a Franchise QB.  Time will tell.

 

And as I am in many things Colts related, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

OK, after reading this forum for years, proper English seems to be an elusive skill. Using 'then' for 'than', ambiguous pronouns, improper verb tense, bad spelling. Yet somehow the message gets through … sometimes.

 

Many years ago, these used to bother me.  Not so much anymore and I sometimes do it myself these days. I can even poke at myself for doing so.

 

Not tryna be grammar or 'spel poleece'. 

 

:sorry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

Yup, player evaluation.   We do it for most positions.  But QB is the most important.

 

 

Define SB level?  And what indicators (besides the past performance is indicative of future results) say he has hit his ceiling?

 

 

So where does this backup QB forced to be a starter currently compare to the other 31 starters (including recently drafted rookies)? And since he is at his ceiling, as you note above,  many/all of the others ranked below him will pass him, this is the concern, yes?

 

 

I can assure you they already know more about JB7, Hoyer, and CK from everyday meetings, practice and scout team activities/scrimmages. The coaches game film (all 22) is extra info. For fans, it is the only info.

 

 

If you cant establish the run, the best DC's will tee off on the pass game and shut it down, especially in cold,windy weather. And teams will generally see the best DC's/defenses and worst weather in the playoffs.  Peyton Manning's aren't just hanging on trees ready for someone to pick them. Colts would be lucky to land a QB that becomes like a Matt Stafford, or Russell Wilson level, let alone the next Peyton, Patrick, or Tommy.  Teams play QB merry go round hunting for that franchise level guy.

 

Does CK have the ability to be "putting up 435 yards with 5 TDs and 0 picks and absolutely carrying the team", as you put it? 

 

 

This is what we are all waiting for. Can the run game get shut down, and if so did the create a defense weakness the pass offense can exploit; and will JB7 take advantage.  It seems many have already decided JB7 will be taken to the wood shed.  I trust Reich to have a game plan the JB7 can execute in those situations. There's a minimum 11 more games to see what not only JB7 is made of, but Reich, Sirriani, and Marcus Brady.

 

 

Opinions are wonderful, we all have them. Predictions are much harder. Not many anywhere predicted Colts would beat the Chiefs in Arrowhead Stadium. But if you are right and teams shut down the run and the pass game never materializes, then maybe CK gets called up and the Colts record is poor enough to make an effort for a QB candidate they feel can eventually become a Franchise QB.  Time will tell.

 

And as I am in many things Colts related, I'm cautiously optimistic.

 

Colin Kaepernick? Lol what? I've never said anything about that guy. He is NOT the answer imo, I'd much rather have Jacoby Brissett. Took me a minute to figure out who you were referring to. No man, I've never said Brissett was at his ceiling, in fact if you look hard enough you'll see 2-3 posts where I've said that I think he's probably 80% or so of what he's gonna be. If he continues to progress and becomes the guy that can win us a SB, that's awesome. That's all I --and really anyone that's a fan of the Colts-- really want. My personal opinion is that a guy like Joe Burrow comes in and plays to the level Jacoby is plus some, and at 40-50% of maximum eventual ability. As a guy that follows scouting of college players very very closely, I've just noticed a lot of things that lead me to believe JB isn't the long term answer. I'm not gonna keep writing them in every post, but they're outlined in several other posts I've made. Hopefully we attempt to get the next great franchise QB in a class primed with potential stars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I’m going to stay optimistic until the fat lady sings. Defense rises to occasion and the Colts keep Winston & Co on the sideline with a big game from Mack, Hines, Doyle and Pascal. Maybe a play or two from Cox.   I have tickets to the Saints game and I’m hoping they’re still alive.    Colts 27   Bucs 20
    • Baltimore 10-2 at Buffalo 9-3 Venue : New Era Field Orchard Park, NY Weather : 42 degrees , winds 15-20 MPH  Last Meeting 2018 : Baltimore 47 Buffalo 3 Baltimore leads all time series 5-3  Point spread : Baltimore -6 
    • I heard they are weighing option for season ending laser eye surgery to improve his downfield vision.
    • The Giants gave not given up on Daniel Jones.   He’s hurt.   A high ankle sprain, all in all, I think the Giants have been very pleased with Jones.    How does this happen here?
    • I don’t see enough QB to go around this year. Colts will be lucky if love even lasts with the way some of these QB have looked. I bet Fromm stays in school. Heck Love might even transafer.    If I was the bengals I would trade that number pick for more picks and try and get my QB next year. Burrow is going to be great but they need a ton of other positions..   Crazy stat I heard if Burrow wins the Heisman and Lamar wins MVP the Heisman winner will be older then the NFL MVP.
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...