Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Chad Kelly now a trade asset? (merge)

Imgrandojji

Brees and Foles are now out, as is Darnold.  Roethlisberger may need Tommy John.  That's 3-4 teams in need of either a starter or a backup QB.  Other QB such as Trubisky and Winston are struggling hard, and TB in particular may be looking to move on soon.

Spots are opening up for QBs right now.

I'm sure other teams were watching Chad Kelly have a solid preseason. I wonder if Ballard is getting any inquiries.  If he is, with Brissett showing some promise of at least looking like a competitive QB, and Hoyer serving as an unofficial second coach in the backup role, I wonder whether we couldn't swing a trade to bring in something of value from one of the teams hurting for QB depth right now.

Worth thinking about.

If so, where would you look?  Would you go for a kicker to give our special teams a shot in the arm/give AV some competition?  Maybe some additional WR depth or another RB?  Look for a talented DB who isn't getting the playing time he deserves?  

Either way I trust Ballard to do the right thing, but we do have some spots to shore up, and it's vanishingly unlikely that Kelly is going to play a down for us this year, so you have to give it at least some thought if you can find a taker for Kelly's obvious talent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barry Sears said:

Given that list of injured QBs going into week 3 of the season, I say we need to KEEP Kelly.  JB could go down any time with an injury, and we need a backup QB ready.

I'm not that worried about JB7.  He had the crap knocked out of him in 17 and still played every down he was supposed to.  Kid's tough.  And we do have Hoyer as a backup, who isn't immensely talented but is very, very smart.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Given that list of injured QBs going into week 3 of the season, I say we need to KEEP Kelly.  JB could go down any time with an injury, and we need a backup QB ready, which is Hoyer, for now.  But, we need 3 QBs available, in my opinion.  Doubt Kelly would get us much at this point.

A 5th to 7th rounder at best nothing more cause he is unproven.

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

practice squad could be risky, there are several injured starting QBs out there now.  a lot of people seem to think Chad is nobody and dont care if he leaves.  i think hes an interesting prospect and we should keep him

Other than replacing the word "prospect" with "project" I can get on board with that, Kelly is a project rather than a prospect, the concerns about his off-field character have to be factored in, but the fact is we have our QB and our QB2 right now.  We don't really need him.  Other teams might.

I don't see him as a trade asset.

Bronco's let him go after his run in with the law and no one picked him up, not even for their practice squad.  

Seems like we picked him up in part as a favor to Jim Kelly.  Not much has changed since that time.  

With no one claiming him off waivers or picking him up as a free agent I don't we're going to convince a team to part with a draft pick for him. 

7 minutes ago, MPStack said:

It just gets easier for the Patriots. 

I just hope the Ravens and Chiefs are not stuck in the 2-3 seeding (we know AFC South winner will be #4), and both of them play the Patriots (Chiefs play at NE, Ravens host NE). Will be interesting if one of them can get the #1 seed away from NE. 

As far as Chad Kelly goes, he's more valuable to us than to some other team. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I'm not that worried about JB7.  He had the crap knocked out of him in 17 and still played every down he was supposed to.  Kid's tough.  And we do have Hoyer as a backup, who isn't immensely talented but is very, very smart.

same was said about.... Andrew Luck...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

same was said about.... Andrew Luck...

Yes, and we addressed the issues that eventually made it a problem for luck.  Also JB7 is a bigger, sturdier guy and he doesn't go on as many "adventures" out of the pocket so I'd expect him to be healthier on the whole than Luck was.

13 minutes ago, MPStack said:

It just gets easier for the Patriots. 

I still can't believe they won it all and then got this much stronger.  How the heck does that happen?

I only hope in 10 years people look back at Ballard with this kind of awe.  He's off to a good start but until Foxboro is no longer ridiculously good at talent evaluation, it's gonna be hard to knock them off their pedestal

Keep in mind too, as more and more of these star QBs that have been around for a while, Brady, Brees, Big Ben etc retire and/or get injured ,the premium to trade up for a starting QB is gonna just get that much higher.  the next 3-4 years will see some heavy runs I think of QBs in the draft.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Other than replacing the word "prospect" with "project" I can get on board with that, Kelly is a project rather than a prospect, the concerns about his off-field character have to be factored in, but the fact is we have our QB and our QB2 right now.  We don't really need him.  Other teams might.

they wont bench JB for kelly even if he struggles.  hoyer on the other hand is very benchable if Jacoby gets hurt, and that could be kelly time

i say hes a prospect because the guy is talented.  he showed more in college and preseason than JB did imo, he just got in trouble 

jacoby could be considered a project too

55 minutes ago, Hammer said:

If you're going to try and trade a QB, I say, get rid of Hoyer.

Not gonna happen.   Hoyer has proven himself as a capable starter in the NFL.  Not great, but OK.  He's a good back up to have on a team that is competing for a playoff spot.   48 TD's to 30 INT's.  Kelly has more potential, but it would require growing pains and allot of losses.   

2 hours ago, Hammer said:

If you're going to try and trade a QB, I say, get rid of Hoyer.

He's not going anywhere with that contract around his neck.  That contract said that Ballard is playing for keeps.

Besides, Hoyer isn't here for what he can contribute ON the field.  He's widely considered one of the best scout team QBs in the league and is here to help make sure the QB1 is ready to go every week.  Just like he did last year with Brady in the Superbowl.

That's why I was calling for ballard to sign him the moment he was released.  And why Ballard did sign him in the end.  He knows how to do everything Brissett needs the most help with, and he's the most cost effective and intelligent mentor we could easily acquire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

You do realize that Kelly didn't play against starters, right?  So, how do you make that evaluation?

Well you can't make the evaluation as far as playing against NFL starters since one has and one hasn't. But if you're just looking at talent, I think that's measurable when you compare their college careers. Kelly was twice as good as JB was in college against much better competition. If we're talking about outright talent, I think Kelly wins. He put up 4,000 yards passing and 500 yards rushing in the SEC. That's obscene. If we're talking about brains and character, it's clearly JB, which is why JB is in his spot and Kelly isn't. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Well you can't make the evaluation as far as playing against NFL starters since one has and one hasn't. But if you're just looking at talent, I think that's measurable when you compare their college careers. Kelly was twice as good as JB was in college against much better competition. If we're talking about outright talent, I think Kelly wins. He put up 4,000 yards passing and 500 yards rushing in the SEC. That's obscene. If we're talking about brains and character, it's clearly JB, which is why JB is in his spot and Kelly isn't. 

Which in turn is why I think Kelly has trade value to other teams desperate for QB talent right now.

Unless you're grooming him to be the next Colts QB, and it honestly doesn't look like we are right now, might as well get whatever value you can

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

The bolded is all that matters to me.  Talent in college will only get you to the NFL level.  Once in the NFL you have to prove your talent translates to the pro level, and Reich and staff haven't given Kelly the keys yet, so he has yet to prove he can do it against NFL talent.  Personally, I think he has great tools to get it done, but I was also on the Stephen Morris train, so what do i know,?

Ha!

To anyone that suggested this

Why would any team trade their kicker!?????

then they have to go find another kicker!!!!

there aren’t many out there!!!!!

its not like teams carry 2 field goal kickers that would be worth anything.   Sure they have punters that could kick.  Then they would need a punter 

no logic to this at all 

5 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

To anyone that suggested this

Why would any team trade their kicker!?????

then they have to go find another kicker!!!!

there aren’t many out there!!!!!

its not like teams carry 2 field goal kickers that would be worth anything.   Sure they have punters that could kick.  Then they would need a punter 

no logic to this at all 

...and your point is??

:peek:

8 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

You do realize that Kelly didn't play against starters, right?  So, how do you make that evaluation?

What I said is that Kelly is the most talented quarterback. If you look at the college statistics Kelly blows JB out of the water. Chad Kelly’s pre-draft workouts were better than Mahomes. Kelli is faster, has a quicker release Then JB. He is clearly the better athlete. This does not make him the better quarterback per se. Kelly’s problem has never been his talent it’s been his head.

10 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

What I said is that Kelly is the most talented quarterback. If you look at the college statistics Kelly blows JB out of the water. Chad Kelly’s pre-draft workouts were better than Mahomes. Kelli is faster, has a quicker release Then JB. He is clearly the better athlete. This does not make him the better quarterback per se. Kelly’s problem has never been his talent it’s been his head.

If he was so amazing,   the colts wouldn't have him.  Jim Kelly called in a favor to his friend and they gave him a shot.  He looked good in preseason,   but he isn't getting past third string this year.   I'm guessing here gets traded or cut tomorrow

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Sounds like they are actually trying to trade him. If they are going to keep him on the roster or cut him or would of been done today. They could also trying to by time to see how Desir and Leonard’s injury go. They place him on the exempt list until a decision is made. 

Place who on the exempt list,