Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Kelly decision today?

Lucky Wolf

This is an unusual situation. A 25-year-old  who seems to have the talent to get the job done, but because of a history of getting in trouble that has repeatedly delayed his progress through college and the start of this pro career doesn't yet have any pass attempts in an NFL regulation game. Can you think of any quarterback who at age 25 didn't have a single NFL pass attempt, yet went on to a successful career?

1 minute ago, BeanDiasucci said:

This is an unusual situation. A 25-year-old  who seems to have the talent to get the job done, but because of a history of getting in trouble that has repeatedly delayed his progress through college and the start of this pro career doesn't yet have any pass attempts in an NFL regulation game. Can you think of any quarterback who at age 25 didn't have a single NFL pass attempt, yet went on to a successful career?

Kurt Warner

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

One impression I am getting is that this is a low priority thing to deal with as far as the Colts are concerned …….Or they wanted to see if people where gonna call Ballard to inquire about trading him .

A lot of things could be happening. And keep in mind, if they did want to keep him, they have to pick a guy to cut too. If that were the case, they could be shopping the potential cut to other teams. It's a lot more than just adding or releasing a guy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Really speaks to the talent level he has that he isn’t gearing up for the XFL right now.

He just looks like an NFL starting QB. He has that, dare I say, swag about him and has that sort of quick twitch athleticism and rifle arm that you traditionally see with NFL starters. It’s a look that sets them apart from backups. An “it” factor. He has it. Watch him lead a scoring drive and it’s obvious.

That’s why I’ve been intrigued by him since the first time I saw him in the first preseason game. I’d puke if he goes elsewhere and becomes a stud and we’re stuck with an average game manager.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Really speaks to the talent level he has that he isn’t gearing up for the XFL right now.

He just looks like an NFL starting QB. He has that, dare I say, swag about him and has that sort of quick twitch athleticism and rifle arm that you traditionally see with NFL starters. It’s a look that sets them apart from backups. An “it” factor. He has it. Watch him lead a scoring drive and it’s obvious.

That’s why I’ve been intrigued by him since the first time I saw him in the first preseason game. I’d puke if he goes elsewhere and becomes a stud and we’re stuck with an average game manager.

Given he's acted right, and performed well, he'd get grabbed up quickly. I'd prefer to not see him on a opposing team lol. Regardless of if JB makes it or not, CK is simply a good prospect. I also think a small town like Indy, an organization like the Colts, and with a HC that has ties to his uncle, is the perfect place to help the kid mature and grow.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I think it's taking so long because they were shopping him this whole time 

And the other teams were like.. Who??? You want what for him?

And Ballard replied: Don't you read the Colts forum? This guy's a star in the making.. Lol

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IinD said:

And the other teams were like.. Who??? You want what for him?

And Ballard replied: Don't you read the Colts forum? This guy's a star in the making.. Lol

I’m pretty sure that every team is aware of a guy who put up the 3rd most total yards in a single season in SEC history and a guy who has the highest score every recorded by SportsScience, beating out scores by guys like Brees, Mahomes, Mayfield, and Goff.

They know who he is.

1 minute ago, Lennon1940 said:

I’m pretty sure that every team is aware of a guy who put up the 3rd most total yards in a single season in SEC history and a guy who has the highest score every recorded by SportsScience, beating out scores by guys like Brees, Mahomes, Mayfield, and Goff.

They know who he is.

And none picked him up when he was available 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

They know who he is.

I wouldn’t value a cherry picked volume stat as a way of evaluating talent, especially college stats. Look at who is number 1 and 2 on that list.

Teams of course have an idea who he is, which makes the fact he’s not exactly been highly sought after telling. It won’t just be down to his off field antics. 

I’m sure he has talent, whether that can be translated is another matter. I’d like to see him kept and developed further. 

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

And none picked him up when he was available 

the colts picked him up, we dont know that no one else would have

two months passed between getting cut from denver and signing in indy, teams were probably waiting to get an idea of his suspension and what not.  ballard was just the first to act on him

• Like 1

Have you guys seen some of the backup's playing in recent games in this league? Not many of them look as athletic or accurate as CK. No doubt he would be picked up, especially after a decently strong showing in preseason. 

Sounds like he's practicing with the team today. My bet is he is on the 53 and we will carry 3 QB's for the rest of the year. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

the colts picked him up, we dont know that no one else would have

two months passed between getting cut from denver and signing in indy, teams were probably waiting to get an idea of his suspension and what not.  ballard was just the first to act on him

He signed a 1 year minimum contract .   If there were other teams in the mix,   it seems he would have been paid more

6 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

Have you guys seen some of the backup's playing in recent games in this league? Not many of them look as athletic or accurate as CK. 

Correct. He doesn’t look like a backup when he plays. He’s the real deal and assuming he stays clean off the field he’s going to be a stud with some team. Just hope it’s with us.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He signed a 1 year minimum contract .   If there were other teams in the mix,   it seems he would have been paid more

CB signed him before we even knew what his suspension would be, the rest could have been waiting that out.  2 games still seems light for what he did to me

he was only on the market for 2 months, not that long for a guy that just got in trouble, again 

Just now, aaron11 said:

CB signed him before we even knew what his suspension would be, the rest could have been waiting that out.  2 games still seems light for what he did to me

he was only on the market for 2 months, not that long for a guy that just got in trouble, again 

He was cut in October.   Colts picked him up in may

12 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

Have you guys seen some of the backup's playing in recent games in this league? Not many of them look as athletic or accurate as CK. No doubt he would be picked up, especially after a decently strong showing in preseason. 

Sounds like he's practicing with the team today. My bet is he is on the 53 and we will carry 3 QB's for the rest of the year. 

Sounds like the best thing to do.

We just don't keep a QB on the practice squad.

Our worst roster player goes to the PS instead.

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He was cut in October.   Colts picked him up in may

ok but his hearing was in march for first-degree criminal trespassing.  colts singed him two months later, no one was going to sign him in the meantime 

i dont think we can conclude that no one else was interested, they could have been waiting this out to see what happened.  ballard was the first to act

17 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If teams thought he had great talent he would have been scooped up.    NFL players have done far worse and not got cut

He had a lot of uncertainty surrounding him and a looming suspension...and the Colts were a good spot because they (at the time) had a QB1 and QB2 on the roster...so they wouldn't be depending on him...and they of course had the connections.

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

I think it's taking so long because they were shopping him this whole time 

I think you may be right

But, I truly hope they keep him

IF he is cut, there is more to this story than we all know

Maybe he has mashed potatoes for brains........

Maybe he is still a JERK

2 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Chad Kelly's uncle.

58 minutes ago, Decaf said:

The Colts need to see what they have with Kelly. Jacoby is not a superbowl caliber QB, Hoyer is average at best. 

I disagree.   You have no way of knowing if Brissett can lead this team to the Superbowl.   Less of Kelly.   Jacoby is the QB of this team this season.   If not for AV, they would be 2-0.  I'll take what he is doing any day.  Brissett has a 108 rating right now.   Had over 113 in the preseason compared to Kelly's 94.7.    The football minds on the Colts team think Brissett is better than Kelly.   

I do hope they keep Kelly for future consideration.  

• Like 2