Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Kelly decision today?

Lucky Wolf

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

If they had waived him Monday there is no doubt with all the injuries he would of got picked up on waivers. Colts are smart here.

time of week doesn't matter. if a team wants a QB, it's not going to make a difference when he gets on the market, especially one that's waived.

Just now, EastStreet said:

Hoyer is horrible.

and... Don't give me the tired "coaches are always right" sunshine pump.

Unless JB gets hurt we don’t have to worry about that. Hoyer is big in running the scout teams and getting players ready for the opposing team on Sunday. He got a ton of credit for NE SB win.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Hoyer is horrible.

and... Don't give me the tired "coaches are always right" sunshine pump.

They are right far more often than YouTube gms and coaches.    Hoyer has NFL experience.   He is a professional.   He adds more value than an unproven head case

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The only season he surpassed 3000 yards, he had more INTs than TDs.... 

I get your sarcasm, but yes, Hoyer is horrible. If he's suck a great QB, Belichick wouldn't have cut him. 

So good players don't get cut?  Explain why Kelly just got cut?

• Like 1

I get your sarcasm, but yes, Hoyer is horrible. If he's suck a great QB, Belichick wouldn't have cut him. 

His career is 48 TD's and 30 INT's with an 84 QB rating.    That is awesome to have as your backup QB.  

I would agree he isn't great, but he doesn't "suck".  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Do you know why they released him. They didn’t want to release there young qb because they were afraid to lose him on waivers. They wanted to resign him. 

I’m a Chad Kelly fan.  I think there’s a really good chance we’ll see him getting substantial snaps in the NFL at some point.  And if it works out that they’re for the Colts, that’s great.

But I can’t quite get myself to the point where I think he belongs above Hoyer (let alone Jacoby).  We have to have a reliable ready backup and Hoyer is by far the safer bet at this point.

I’ve been harshly critical of Ballard & Co. on the PK situation.  But not here.  I think they made the most prudent move.

Let’s just hope it doesn’t come back to haunt us!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Unless JB gets hurt we don’t have to worry about that. Hoyer is big in running the scout teams and getting players ready for the opposing team on Sunday. He got a ton of credit for NE SB win.

If he's running the scout team, why do we have Walker on the PS?

Everyone went on and on about how critical it was to have a great back up last year when talking about why Ballard was warm and fuzzy on JB. Now it's not important?

3 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

So.... if he signs, can he change his mind later this year?

Just to clear this up, the team signs the player. The player really doesn't choose and sign himself to a team. I'm pretty sure that if a guy is signed off another teams' PS he has to go to the 53 man roster for that week. 

2 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

No, he's not. He was released.

https://www.colts.com/team/players-roster/

No, he's not. He was released.

https://www.colts.com/team/players-roster/

Ok...well good!  Missed that.

Maybe they will try to add Kelly to the Practice Squad if he clears waiver.  Colts usually keep one WB on there and currently I don’t think we have one stashed there if Walker was released.  

4 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Sorry, I am not up on this.....

Is there a cash $ number limit, or is it unlimited to what the Colts can pay someone on the PS?

They can pay them what they want I think. They actually get paid very well on the PS. The guy the colts drafted on the oline is getting 20k a week.  He is one of the highest paid on a PS. The more they make the more the team likes them.

6 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Sorry, I am not up on this.....

Is there a cash $ number limit, or is it unlimited to what the Colts can pay someone on the PS?

Delete.... found this 

"Practice squad players can be paid any amount by teams as an incentive to not sign to another team’s roster. The contracts do count towards the team’s salary cap"

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

His career is 48 TD's and 30 INT's with an 84 QB rating.    That is awesome to have as your backup QB.  

I would agree he isn't great, but he doesn't "suck".  

Hoyer is a prototype NFL backup quarterback.  I would feel far more confident with him under center than CK at this point.

But I hope we find a way to hang on to Chad.  He’s got a lot of potential.

• Like 1

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Do you know why they released him. They didn’t want to release there young qb because they were afraid to lose him on waivers. They wanted to resign him. 

A fans reply to Mike Chappell twitter ( I HOPE THIS FAN IS RIGHT ) !!!!!!!!!!!!!     >>>>>>>>>>>Feelingfree‏ @mychloegirl6124 40m40 minutes ago

Replying to @RonaldBrown007 @mchappell51

That is why they did it in WED. Teams already have rosters set for Sunday. Which means a better chance he clears waivers.

12 minutes ago, jmac_48 said:

Honest question here: 

Can a player decline a waver selection, or a claim from a practice squad?

It’s like being drafted.  That club has the rights.  They have to keep him on their roster for two weeks.  

He can decline a practice squad position as he is a free agent then.   Also if you are on a practice squad, you do not have to go to another team if they want to put you on the active.  Not sure why you wouldn’t as there is a significant difference in income 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If they clear waivers they are then free to sign to any practice squad they want. Krishawn Hogan just signed to the saints practice squad.

That was not my question...

what I was getting at was could he decline the waiver claim and sign to Colts PS, and continue to decline claims there too to show good faith in Colts for showing faith in him.

Just now, luv_pony_express said:

Hoyer is a prototype NFL backup quarterback.  I would feel far more confident with him under center than CK at this point.

But I hope we find a way to hang on to Chad.  He’s got a lot of potential.

I agree.   The team has looked good so far this year.   You don't start an unproven rookie in our situation.   If you are the Giants and your team looks like crap and you are 0-2, then it makes sense.  If we are 6-4 and Brissett goes down for a game or 2, Hoyer gives us the much better chance at winning a game than Kelly at this point.   The ceiling is much higher with Kelly, but so is the floor.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

No question who the top dog is now.  100% all in on Jacoby.

There was never a question of that to begin with.  Jacoby has clearly been the man since Luck quit...doesn’t matter if they had kept Kelly or not.  Still I liked Kelly and thought he was worth holding on to and trying to develop down the road. 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I disagree.   You have no way of knowing if Brissett can lead this team to the Superbowl.   Less of Kelly.   Jacoby is the QB of this team this season.   If not for AV, they would be 2-0.  I'll take what he is doing any day.  Brissett has a 108 rating right now.   Had over 113 in the preseason compared to Kelly's 94.7.    The football minds on the Colts team think Brissett is better than Kelly.   

I do hope they keep Kelly for future consideration.  

Can't put much weight into rating. Alex Smith had 104 rating over an entire season and they got rid of him afterward. I think we're a solid team with Jacoby, but don't see him performing well enough to beat Mahomes or Brady in the playoffs unless Reich calls an incredible game. We'll find out a lot about his potential in a couple weeks when we play the Chiefs.