Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Kelly decision today?

Lucky Wolf

Just now, Smoke317 said:

I get the feeling people around here would rather see 350 yards passing 2 td’s & 3 ints in a loss rather than 146 yards passing 3 td’s & 1 int in a win.

no we just wanna see stats that can actually compete with the best teams in the league since we have to ya know beat them to get a championship

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

no we just wanna see stats that can actually compete with the best teams in the league since we have to ya know beat them to get a championship

You know what,   rushing stats are very important as well,   as is red zone efficiency

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

C'mon man, you know this team was built with Luck in mind as the starter.

Nobody is cutting the guy any slack it seems. He can't win honestly it seems.

• Like 1

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

I didn't know stats alone won championships.  We had the greatest statistical QB of all times & he flamed out more often than not in the playoffs & the 2 he did win he was mostly carried to those 2 by a great running game & a great defense.  

We we should be 2-0 right now with both coming on the road vs AFC opponents.  As long as we keep winning you can keep the stats (I do see 5 td’s to 1 int though).  When the wins stop coming we can focus strictly on stats.  

We’ll see in a few weeks how we compete against one of the better teams in the league (K.C.).  I know our last statistical marvel in Luck went in there and flamed out last post season.  So maybe just maybe the stats alone don’t win championships but good teams do.  And that’s what CB & Frank are building. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IinD said:

C'mon man, you know this team was built with Luck in mind as the starter.

Nobody is cutting the guy any slack it seems. He can't win honestly it seems.

No slack. But two guys easily considered top 10 put up these numbers yesterday:  M. Ryan-  27-43 320yds 3td’s & 3 ints.  C. Wentz 25-43 231yds 1td & 2 ints.  With them throwing it 43 times each & putting up “stats”, they essentially scored the same amount of points as we did (in a dome).  So the only thing those amazing stats did was lead to more turnovers. 

I just want to win.  It sucked for a decade to cheer for our statistical marvel in Peyton & then see this 6th rounder with a better all around team get more success.  Go check Brady’s stats for his first 3 rings.  They were far from glamorous. 

Give JB a chance to grow with this team.  If he flames out, I’m sure we’ll get him out of here & get someone in here that can get us to the mountain top.  But I’d like to see if CB truly has the Midas touch & is building us a TEAM & culture that can win for a decade. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Probably would have kept us from having to depend on a 4th and 1 conversion to win the game.

We didn't depend on a 4th and 1 conversion to win the game, what are you talking about?

Reich took that risk because it had a very high probability of securing the game for us.  The risk-reward metric favored the decision and it worked.

Did we need to take that risk?  Hardly.  Our defense was mauling Mariota.  A well placed punt and the Titans with 0 time outs would really struggle to get down the field.  But taking that risk was relatively safe and took the idea of the Colts scoring on the following drive from "difficult" to "nearly impossible."

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Who cares?  We won the game.    How did the Bengals and cardinals do with those inspiring passing yards?

People keep swearing up and down that they don't expect Brissett to be Manning or Luck and then turn around do the surprised Pikachu face when he wins, or does enough to win, but doesn't put up gaudy passing stats.

I won't pretend to fully understand those people.

• Like 5

I really think Chad has a lot of upside and I hope we keep him for the what if’s. The way JB is playing yesterday, he is not going to last an entire season this way. He seemed to hold the ball too long for my liking. I like his toughness to hang in there but when we play even tougher offensive minded teams with equally tough defenses, JB or the route runners are going to have to be better. He managed the game well enough yesterday but let’s not pretend JB didn’t almost have 3 picks instead of just one. I absolutely love to see JB play and he has some poise there but he also has some issues with his clock in his head, it’s ticking too slow. Maybe some actual real game experience with all the tools Luck had available to him and some adversity will absolutely help in time, I just want to see that time accelerated a bit more. 

I hope Chad Kelly gets to stay on the 53 cause he will 90% chance not clear waivers with a banged up league of QB’s already and the positives CK has already put on tape along with his choir boy change since coming to the Colts. Someone will take him because they need a guy now.  

• Like 3

A house divided against itself cannot stand.

No man can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else hold to the one and despise the other.

Unless we see Kelly as our QB2 in the near future, I honestly think we need to move on from Kelly.  And given the existence of Hoyer on the roster, we don't see Kelly as our QB2 in the near future.  Let him go tantalize some other team that isn't fighting for a playoff spot. 

We really can't afford to give him the playing time he needs to break out anyway. As things stand right now we're competitive for the division.   Gotta roll out with the best we have at all times.  No real way to ever work him in.

A team scraping the bottom would be a far better situation for him right now.  I think we got him because we thought we might be in that situation.  Turns out we're a little too competitive to ever really risk giving him the shot he needs.

Going to a more desperate team would be the making of Kelly.  Staying in Indy would be the strangling of Kelly. 

Personally I see a trade with the Jags coming up.  Would love to bring in Jalen Ramsey in a deal for Kelly ++, Ramsey seems to be close to the end of his tether in JAX and would represent a HUGE improvement to our secondary.  And the Jags are desperate enough for QB to actually give Kelly a look.  If the Jags got a potential QBOTF and a draft pick or two, we might be able to make a trade work.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

A house divided against itself cannot stand.

No man can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else hold to the one and despise the other.

Unless we see Kelly as our QB2 in the near future, I honestly think we need to move on from Kelly.  And given the existence of Hoyer on the roster, we don't see Kelly as our QB2 in the near future.  Let him go tantalize some other team that isn't fighting for a playoff spot. 

We really can't afford to give him the playing time he needs to break out anyway.  Gotta roll out with the best we have at all times.  A team scraping the bottom would be a far better situation for him right now.

Going to a more desperate team would be the making of him.  Staying in Indy would be the strangling of him.  Personally I see a trade with the Jags coming up. 

Would love to bring in Jalen Ramsey in a deal for Kelly ++, Ramsey seems to be close to the end of his tether in JAX and would represent a HUGE improvement to our secondary

I didn't see the tape on Minshew (sp?) yesterday, but I would rather roll with him than trade my corner to my arch rival for an unknown prospect.  I just don't see that one happening.

Hopefully we can keep Kelley this year on the 53 and let him compete for the starting role next camp if he keeps off the police blotter.  We just have to figure out if JB is worth another contract or not beforehand.  Must be fun being a GM.

• Like 1

I'm hopeful we keep Chad Kelly

Why even bring him in with Luck and JB on the team?

Why bother if they are just going to release him anyway

It sounds like they gave him some very clear instructions to keep his nose clean

From all indications he has done EXACTLY that

He also has proven on the field that he CAN play QB (at least with the 2's and 3's)

Strong Arm

Mobile

Good touch

Quick compact release

Very accurate

Quick decision making

I hope that they keep him, and let him be the primary backup for next year

(Or, if JB falters or is injured, this year..... give him a shot)

There must be something missing, not evident to me, if they cut him.

(He wont make it to PS)

To me, a QB with potential is something you hold onto.........

The guy hasnt proven ANYTHING in a real game....... but he DOES show a large amount of potential

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Oh they're definitely not gonna cut him.  he's a valuable asset.  They either keep him or trade him.  Personally I think the Colts are going to get something tangible about this more easily if they trade him.

They were hedging their bets.  I think the franchise knew about Luck a lot sooner than we did but were trying to pressure him to change his mind rather than inform us of what was coming.  Either way, whether they knew or just suspected, I think Ballard knew what was in the wind when it came to Luck's situation

In that light the Kelly signing makes perfect sense.  He's another depth option if Brissett doesn't seem up to the task either in camp or in the first few games.  In a word, he was a very talented insurance policy

Personally I feel like Brissett passed that test with flying colors and is our starting QB going forward.  That makes Kelly superfluous, and a valuable, superfluous assett is usually better to trade than it is to hang on to.

34 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Who cares?  We won the game.    How did the Bengals and cardinals do with those inspiring passing yards?

I don’t think Chad should start but yes the Colts won Sunday but they aren’t going to win a lot of games if Jacoby is below 150 yards passing for the game and around 40 yards passing in the second half.  Even Reich said they need more production out of the passing game.  He also said they will get it and I believe him.  

I think Jacoby started seeing ghosts after his INT.  Some good film study and coaching this week should fix that.  This is a chance for Jacoby to grow.  He’s going to have to for the Colts to commit to him as the guy beyond this season.  

I dont think it’s a sure thing Kelly would have done better Sunday and he could have done worse if he turned the ball over more like young QBs tend to do.  

Jacoby is the guy this season and yes some here need to some to terms with that but at the same time it’s fair for others to point out legit areas that Jacoby has to get better without being treated like they are attacking Jacoby either.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t think Chad should start but yes the Colts won Sunday but they aren’t going to win a lot of games if Jacoby is below 150 yards passing for the game and around 40 yards passing in the second half.  Even Reich said they need more production out of the passing game.  He also said they will get it and I believe him.  

You're right.  If Brissett plays every game like he did in the second half against the Titans we're in some trouble.

But every team doesn't have the Titans' secondary so that probably isn't happening

people need to unclench a bit and let JB7 learn on the job.  We now have a clear idea what we need to work on in order to beat top defenses.  I trust Reich to get the job done.

Reich is doing to Brissett exactly what Belichick does with Brady.  Accentuate the short comings and sting his quarterback into working his butt off to fix them.  Brissett has seemed very coachable so far so I think it's only a matter of time before he manages to make the adjustments he needs to make to be more effective.

• Like 3

I think Jacoby started seeing ghosts after his INT.  Some good film study and coaching this week should fix that.  This is a chance for Jacoby to grow.  He’s going to have to for the Colts to commit to him as the guy beyond this season.  

I dont think it’s a sure thing Kelly would have done better Sunday and he could have done worse if he turned the ball over more like young QBs tend to do.  

Jacoby is the guy this season and yes some here need to some to terms with that but at the same time it’s fair for others to point out legit areas that Jacoby has to get better without being treated like they are attacking Jacoby either.  

The titans gave up an average of 216 passing yards a game last year.   That is a legit secondary.    

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I'm hopeful we keep Chad Kelly

Why bother if they are just going to release him anyway

It sounds like they gave him some very clear instructions to keep his nose clean

From all indications he has done EXACTLY that

He also has proven on the field that he CAN play QB (at least with the 2's and 3's)

Strong Arm

Mobile

Good touch

Quick compact release

Very accurate

Quick decision making

I hope that they keep him, and let him be the primary backup for next year

(Or, if JB falters or is injured, this year..... give him a shot)

(He wont make it to PS)

To me, a QB with potential is something you hold onto.........

The guy hasnt proven ANYTHING in a real game....... but he DOES show a large amount of potential

I agree wholeheartedly.   I hope the reason we haven't heard yet is that they are telling the player who is cut first before they announce his addition to the 53.  

Without question, and they deserve credit too but Jacoby could have played better on Sunday and I don’t think people are wrong for pointing that out.

Not sure how much better than 3 TD 1 pick it's reasonable to expect of a guy who is not a premium asset at QB.

The yards are secondary.  Brissett didn't get many yards because Reich isn't asking Brissett to get many yards.  Reich likes to get his yards on the ground.  It's a lot different from what we're used to, and that, along with the stiff secondary we just faced, has a lot to do with JB7's paltry yardage

When he needs to execute, so far he's getting it done.  To me that's a more important takeaway than yards.

• Like 1