Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 2 impressions: Brissett

GoColts8818

33 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Keep in mind too, we essentially spotted the Titans 10 points with turnovers in our own territory, clean up the mental mistakes and the Titans aren’t even in this game. 

Their defense gave the Colts points too...with shoddy tackling on sacks and DPIs.

Colts defense definitely stepped up and won this game.

I am really not worried about Jacoby at this point.  He had 3 TDS and 2 turnovers.  The interception was due to a good play by the DB.  The fumble slipped out his hand when pulling the ball back.  Almost a Tuck Rule situation had he not already brought his arm back.  I dont see the kind of risky, wth, type of throws that Luck was apt to make. That’s a good thing.   Luck has played many games with 2 or more turnovers.  I like Brissett’s more measured approach thus far.  The offense will open up when Cain and Campbell start to come into their own.  Glad for the win today.  It was hard earned.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I am really not worried about Jacoby at this point.  He had 3 TDS and 2 turnovers.  The interception was due to a good play by the DB.  The fumble slipped out his hand when pulling the ball back.  Almost a Tuck Rule situation had he not already brought his arm back.  I dont see the kind of risky, wth, type of risky throws that Luck was apt to do.  Luck has played many games with 2 or more turnovers.  I like Brissett’s more measured approach thus far.  The offense will open up when Cain and Campbell start to come into their own.  Glad for the win today.  It was hard earned.  

Great post. I thought on JB's interception that the Titans just played great defense. At first on the fumble it looked like his arm was moving forward, I think it was but the rules change so much I guess it was a fumble. JB has shown nothing bothers him which I love that trait in a QB. He led us to the go ahead score and win, that is all that counts. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Why are you even complaining? Mariota is supposedly better going by how many talk and they had us on their home turf and we still won. Mariota made several terrible throws. We won so enjoy the win is my take.

I just think he’s any good.  It’s an Internet forum.  We talk about what we think.  

Our run game is fantastic, dangerous, and explosive.  The d has a pass rush and  a good secondary.  The LBs are very weak in coverage.  Vinatieri is too old. The QB doesn’t look good.  

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Why are you even complaining? Mariota is supposedly better going by how many talk and they had us on their home turf and we still won. Mariota made several terrible throws. We won so enjoy the win is my take.

Regardless of Jacoby being a SB QB or not, I'd definitely take him over a ton of starters/backups in this league.

So it can definitely be worse.

People act like we've won 10 SB's and this is a huge drop-off.

• Like 3

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great post. I thought on JB's interception that the Titans just played great defense. At first on the fumble it looked like his arm was moving forward, I think it was but the rules change so much I guess it was a fumble. JB has shown nothing bothers him which I love that trait in a QB. He led us to the go ahead score and win, that is all that counts. 

Yes...indeed.  The Colts have played a pretty tough opening two weeks of the schedule.  Back to back games against a playoff team from last year with an experienced, seasoned QB and on the road against a very game divisional rival.  We are 1-1 and would be 2-0 if Vinny simply made one of those missed kicks last week.  I have been encouraged by what I’ve seen from the quarterback position thus far.  It’s still early in the season and the offense will continue to evolve under Coach Reich. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

we need to draft a starting QB next season

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

This looks like the beginning of last season when virtually everyone questioned whether Andrew had anything left in the tank, and then as the season broke into the second quarter (games 4-8) the playbook seemed to expand as did the downfield throws.

Brissetts arm is too good to simply be a "game manager" as some have said in this thread....

In regards to today, the Titans defense is loaded and have two lockdown corners (Ryan and Butler) and a ballhawking safety (Byard) that are tough to maneuver around.

If you want to say Brissett looked indecisive that's fine, go back and watch how many times receivers beat the man across from them.......I'll wait.....

The INT he threw was at the spot it was supposed to be......Logan Ryan dove and made a great play - hats off to him.

The fumble, well that's on Brissett with the hard pump fake. Realistically though, he is still greater at protecting the ball at tjis juncture of his career than Andrew ever was.......let that sink in for a second.

How about the 3-4 times he shrugged off would be sacks and danced his way to first downs absorbing some big hits.

There was a lot to like in this game to build onto week 1's loss. He showed poise, he took what the defense gave him, he's got 5 TD's to 1 INT's and showed that driving the field in the 4th quarter for the tie and/or win is not TOO BIG for him.

The chunk plays will come my friends.....they will come!

See bolded.  I’d love to do that.  Do you have end zone cut ups?  Because you can’t tell from the tv shots which focus on the ball.

he did have a couple of good scrambles, but the slide at the end shows an unbelievable lack of awareness.  Ole Frank went for it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

See bolded.  I’d love to do that.  Do you have end zone cut ups?  Because you can’t tell from the tv shots which focus on the ball.

he did have a couple of good scrambles, but the slide at the end shows an unbelievable lack of awareness.  Ole Frank went for it.

Frank going for it, I loved it. Many in here and around Indy would've ripped him had we not got that. Before that play I was like please get this. We barely got that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blindside said:

Lol all I know is we are going to frustrate the hell out of opposing coaches this year. They may shut down JB and think they have us beat but our defense and running game will squeak games out just like this one. I'm trying not to get to riled up one way or the other because as of now this is our formula. Frustrating to everyone else but still gets you a sniff of the playoffs and possibly a 9-7 record.  Ballard is a genius. 

Ballard deserves a lot of credit for not panicking in the wake of Luck's retirement.  This team looks competitive as long as Brissett remains at least adequate.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

we need to draft a starting QB next season

That's certainly not clear at this point, with the team getting 1 close fought win and 1 close fought loss against 2 playoff contenders.

This team is playing like a team in the playoff hunt right now.  I'm not gonna be in favor of messing up the chemistry unless Brissett is just not getting the job done.  And so far, he's been ugly but effective as the starting QB - personally I expect that to improve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Did he not throw a TD to TY.

He did...but he didn’t lead a comeback. The offense was dead until Wilkins broke that run. 

And throwing 3 and 4 yard TD passes instead of running it in shouldn’t really change the overall evaluation of that game. 

But I think we can all be happy they won.

Jacoby is money in the redzone.  We just need him to tighten up a few loose screws when he's driving the team down the field so he can be in the red zone more often.  I just don't buy that Tenn coverage was that good to where nobody was open the entire 2nd half other than the running backs.

• Thanks 1

I felt like in the 2nd half we should have went straight west coast offense on them and start peppering them to death with a lot of short passes.  It seemed like they were taking all the deep stuff away.  I think the offense would have moved a bit more if we started letting the ball go quickly and letting our receivers pick up the yardage. 

Just now, krunk said:

I felt like in the 2nd half we should have went straight west coast offense on them and start peppering them to death with a lot of short passes.  It seemed like they were taking all the deep stuff away.  I think the offense would have moved a bit more if we started letting the ball go quickly and letting our receivers pick up the yardage. 

This is a weakness of Brissett... he's less confident than he needs to be on the intermediate passes.  it's just something the coaching staff has to work with him and get him through it.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

Same thing happened  in KC in the playoffs. This is why Parris needs to be in the slot more and not Rogers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Remember, They are still working on what plays that JB can run well

I guarantee you, the offense they ran all through camp were A Luck type plays

Give it a few weeks.

You seem to believe that Coach Reich woke up one morning a few weeks ago and was surprised to see some guy named Jacoby Brissett was on the team. You really don't think after a couple seasons they know his strengths and weaknesses, what throws he can and can't make?

1 minute ago, fahlman said:

You seem to believe that Coach Reich woke up one morning a few weeks ago and was surprised to see some guy named Jacoby Brissett was on the team. You really don't thing after a couple seasons they know his strengths and weaknesses, what throws he can and can't make?

You quote.... Yourself?

JB will be what he will be, somewhere ranked between 15-20 QB

Is it enough to win a playoff game?  - I think so

Is it enough to win a SB game...... I dont think so

JB had big bois bouncing off of him a lot through that first half. He’s tough. He could have done MUCH worse, I’m not mad at him.

I think he’ll continue to improve. Those back shoulder throws last game? Beautiful. The redzone throws today? Very nice.

Chuck had it right when he said things are never as good or as bad as they seem.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, fahlman said:

You seem to believe that Coach Reich woke up one morning a few weeks ago and was surprised to see some guy named Jacoby Brissett was on the team. You really don't think after a couple seasons they know his strengths and weaknesses, what throws he can and can't make?

There is a huge difference in seeing it in practice and game action. Chemistry isn’t going to be built without some game action.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

He did better then mayfield last week.

Vrabel has his prints on this defense they go exotic they show you a lot of looks. Baker got in trouble forcing stuff they were in the game and literally threw it away 3rd quarter. JB was a calm as he could be and he didn't force things I'm sure Frank and Nick have been harping on this since Luck at times would force throws very often when he had some check downs or better looks. JB has been doing stellar thus far we didn't know what he had and a lot of folks here are brats and spoiled by unworldly QB play but give the guy a break. 

Defense looked very good Marcus looked rattled tonight as well and it still looks like we have the better QB situation compared to what Tennessee is dealing with. Marcus gained weight in the off season to help with injury yet he goes out of his way to take unnecessary punishment.

• Like 1

For first divisional game away at Tennessee, I say he did great. The Titans gave it all they had and at full strength.  I saw the Colts climbing this mountain by knowing there is alot to fix. The injuries are mounting but the players will return in the second half of the season. The backups are competitive and young. This 1% improvement makes alot of sense, along with the 1-0 vision.  Just keep the momentum and get the next one.  I believe.

• Like 3