Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 2 impressions: Brissett

GoColts8818

JB may not be the answer longterm, but he is for this season... and everyone that thinks otherwise might as well get over it. 

He is a game manager. He threw a bad interception and had a fluke slip up fumble. As long as he learns from those and continues to protect the ball well, we will be in every game we play. This team is very talented which is a breath of fresh air. 

• Like 3

I described his play in game 1 as "solid".  Today, I'd call it "inconsistent".

I thought he did a good job of using his feet - both to allude defenders and to tuck and run.  My biggest issue today was his lack of awareness with the play clock.  I think you should be ready to snap the ball with at least 4 or 5 seconds remaining.  Today it ran out on him a couple of times as I recall, and several other times he wasn't set until only a couple of seconds remained (IMO, it makes it easier for the defense to time their jump).

As far as play calling, etc., I don't know how much of that's on him versus the coach.  My overall hot take is he is a top level backup QB, but a bottom half of the league starter.  Hopefully he improves over the next few games.

1 minute ago, Turftoe said:

I described his play in game 1 as "solid".  Today, I'd call it "inconsistent".

I thought he did a good job of using his feet - both to allude defenders and to tuck and run.  My biggest issue today was his lack of awareness with the play clock.  I think you should be ready to snap the ball with at least 4 or 5 seconds remaining.  Today it ran out on him a couple of times as I recall, and several other times he wasn't set until only a couple of seconds remained (IMO, it makes it easier for the defense to time their jump).

As far as play calling, etc., I don't know how much of that's on him versus the coach.  My overall hot take is he is a top level backup QB, but a bottom half of the league starter.  Hopefully he improves over the next few games.

My question is how often is Parris campbell in the slot? I felt like his run after the catch ability would have been useful in that drive at the end of the first half

2 minutes ago, IinD said:

He won't break any yardage records, but he's been a passing grade QB so far.

We need to figure out why there didn't seem like anyone could get open today. The line is definitely giving him a decent amount of time.

Give credit to the titans. They were physical with the receivers.  DF of helped with that.  Campbell needs more touches.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IinD said:

We need to figure out why there didn't seem like anyone could get open today. The line is definitely giving him a decent amount of time.

yea I mean was it hilton, cain, and rodgers running most the routes? Didn't hear from campbell besides the muffed punt and td catch.

• Like 1

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Give credit to the titans. They were physical with the receivers.  DF of helped with they.  Campbell needs more touches.

That's true. They always play us tough. It was also like 100° so maybe that wasn't helping the guys running routes.

We just went stale today when the line was giving us time. A wins a win so I'm happy.

Certainly not awful. 

Today had a lot more of that 2017 feel to it. That indecisiveness, holding the ball too long, the delay in reading the defense... all that stuff that wasn’t really coaching and scheme oriented. It’s fundamental. 

That’s the kind of stuff that’s going to determine his glass ceiling much more than scheme or coaching. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IinD said:

honestly I don't care about the yardage if he keeps throwing for 3 or more tds

We’re so used to Peyton & Andrew throwing it 30-50 times a game.  That’s not gonna happen by design this season. Frank said from the get go that he wants a top 10 rushing attack.  And he’s calling the game just like that.  

You guys better hope we don’t have a game where JB has to throw it 40 times or air it out a lot.  Because that would mean some team has neutralized our run & built a big lead on us...  I’m sure we will have games where we’re gonna have to open up.  I’m interested to see how he does in those games.  

But until then I’m happy to just keep winning, keep gaining experience, & keep building our identity & culture.

And last but not least, how many dead to rights sacks did JB save us from giving up today???

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Stephen said:

honestly I don't care about the yardage if he keeps throwing for 3 or more tds

That's my logic as well.

Keep giving us high completion and third down % and don't turn the ball over and we'll have a chance in every game.

Meant to write that #4 seed.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

I look at it this way. We got the win and that will be a game that will just make him better.

A confidence booster

1 minute ago, IinD said:

That's my logic as well.

Keep giving us high completion and third down % and don't turn the ball over and we'll have a chance in every game.

that to

Winning those grindfests against other good teams will improve the confidence of the whole team, and give the coaches a good idea of where to go to build up the team from here.

#1 takeaway for me right now is that we need to get Brissett more comfortable making quick decisions and throwing touch passes within 5-15 yard range.  It's his inconsistency in that area that's most likely to hold him back.  I have no doubt he'll work hard on it so looking forward to seeing what they come up with in terms of both coaching adjustments and player improvement.

I should  clarify what I said to lead off this thread.  When I said I was wrong I didn’t mean about Jacoby being the starter I meant being wrong about the lack of deep shots last week.

Overall Jacoby held his own against a really good secondary but the Colts let the Titans do exactly what the announcers said they would do if the Colts didn’t stretch field.  They sat on the receivers and took away the intermittent stuff and started stacking the box and that’s when Jacoby started to look really indecisive and was holding the ball too long.  He had about 40 yards passing in the second half.  That’s not going to win a lot of games.  

Overall Jacoby has been about what I expected him to be, good enough to keep the Colts in games and give them a chance to win.  Still to take the next step he has to be able to go down the field.

it wasn’t all on the receivers either, the announcers showed a play where if he gave TY another second or two he was coming open on the crossing pattern but Jacoby dumped it off before then.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, IinD said:

At least we're not the Texans. They've supposedly got their franchise QB and they're no world beaters.

We're definitely in this division and I don't give a #, we can get that #6 seed.

Meant to write #4 seed.

They are where the Colts were when Luck was beat up and had no line.

• Like 1

JB Is doing some good things out there. Instead of throwing into bad situation, he either looks to escape and run or he throws the ball down if all seems hopeless. We used to beg Luck to do more of that. I really think he is very strong mentally too. Momentum doesn’t seem to affect him. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

He’s less than average.  He’s in a very QB friendly situation.  

I might go as far to say he is playing behind a top 5 offensive line.  I'm just not sure if he truly trusts his accuracy down the field. That's one of those traits that top 10 Qbs have. They probably have the same trust issues but they sling it any way because they know they have reciever that will go get it.  And if they dont there is a good chance for a defensive foul like what we seen in the first quarter. 

Has the thought occurred to anyone, that Brissett is not a good fit in F. Reich’s offense? Now I’ll be clear, that I believe JB has done an adequate job thus far. The Colts should be 2-0 and I’m not expecting JB to duplicate Luck like stats. Also, my expectations are lower without Luck at QB. 

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, Blindside said:

I might go as far to say he is playing behind a top 5 offensive line.  I'm just not sure if he truly trusts his accuracy down the field. That's one of those traits that top 10 Qbs have. They probably have the same trust issues but they sling it any way because they know they have reciever that will go get it.  And if they dont there is a good chance for a defensive foul like what we seen in the first quarter. 

His confidence will grow as the year goes a long. 

The sky is not falling.  We just went on the road two games in a row against two very good teams.    We split them but one could argue we should be 2-0.  Jacoby brought us back in the 4th qtr. of both games.  Our 3rd. down conversion is 50%.  That is very good.  The game plan pretty much dictates how often we go deep.  It even looked like he might have been looking there a number of times but it wasn't there.  We basically have two rookie WR's playing in Cain and Campbell now.  I'm feeling pretty good about Jacoby.  He will only get better as the season goes as his chemistry with receivers grows.  Two games in and I think we are in a good place.  JB can play.  There is no doubting that IMO.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Nickster said:

He’s less than average.  He’s in a very QB friendly situation.  

OMG no he isn't less than average.  Anyone who can play well enough to win against 2 of the better defenses in the NFL, even with the inconsistency, even with the issues, is not "average."

And that isn't even counting the fact that Brissett led the team back from a deficit twice in two games against very strong opponents despite very limited NFL starting experience and a roster that while very talented, really wasn't built for him.  Believe me, an average or below average quarterback does not manage that.

For an example of an average quarterback, have a look at Ryan Fitzpatrick.  He's about as average as it gets.  Brissett is WAY better than fitzpatrick.

• Like 1

Just now, richard pallo said:

The sky is not falling.  We just went on the road two games in a row against two very good teams.    We split them but one could argue we should be 2-0.  Jacoby brought us back in the 4th qtr. of both games.  Our 3rd. down conversion is 50%.  That is very good.  The game plan pretty much dictates how often we go deep.  It even looked like he might have been looking there a number of times but it wasn't there.  We basically have two rookie WR's playing in Cain and Campbell now.  I'm feeling pretty good about Jacoby.  He will only get better as the season goes as his chemistry with receivers grows.  Two games in and I think we are in a good place.  JB can play.  There is no doubting that IMO.  

The o line is directly responsible for this win and keeping us in the first game. All JB needed to do is not turn the ball over.