Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 2 impressions: Brissett

GoColts8818

Just now, jmac_48 said:

It's all about the $$$$$$

House is well paid for his time.

Well of course. But I am sure a lot of people would want him. I doubt he would waste his time if it wasn’t worth it. It’s just like Mathis helping Turay. Mathis said he would not of helped him if he thought Turay didn’t want to become great.

33 minutes ago, stitches said:

^in case people have not noticed... Last year the Colts were top 3 in pace in game-neutral situations, this year we are bottom 5... at least so far. 

The first time we face a fast paced offense, our D will have an adjustment period, IMO. I would not be surprised if Matt Ryan and folks did a hurry up to get some early points on us.

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The first time we face a fast paced offense, our D will have an adjustment period, IMO. I would not be surprised if Matt Ryan and folks did a hurry up to get some early points on us.

Watching highlights is the falcons eagles game Ryan really gets that ball out quick. I think we will see a hurry up also.

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is really good news. Tom house must think a lot of Brissett to do this.

Experts, veterans, and coaches seem to be coming out of the woodwork all the time publically rooting for Brissett and lavishing the guy with praise.

I think very soon now we're all gonna start seeing why.

• Like 2

I think the opposing teams strengths will dictate our game plan a fair amount early this season.  As long as we rack up the yards and maintain a  = or > 50% 3rd down conversion, I don't care about the pass/run yardage totals.  But I'd really like a 55% pass to 45% run in play call balance with this offense right now.  Later??

13 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

The reason JB has been so good in the red zone is teams have to respect the run. Teams are going to start doing everything to stop the run which is going to open up the offense. When that happens we will have a top offense.

Yep.  It comes down to Brissett being able to carry his own end and keep defenses off balance.  If he can punish them when they stack the box against the run, this team is going to put up points.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Palmettoweed said:

Holds the ball way to long.  Has trouble reading the progressions. 

OK, which kind of offense do the Colts run. Based on pre-snap defensive coverage, or based upon progressions?

Makes stupid decisions like not running 1 extra yard for first downs. 

Lot's of QB's take punishment for that extra yard. Ask Andrew.

Kelly is better and has the fire. 

In what ways? Why do the coaches not believe what you see or believe it's 'enough?'

The (it) factor is missing in a big way

Not according to Charlie Weis, Bill Parcells, and, his head coach-

** Reich is a fan of the temperament Brissett shows in the game’s most critical quarter.  "One thing I’ve noticed with Jacoby in the two games, he almost seems the ‘most calm’ in the 4th quarter. Hopefully that’s a continuing trend. I really like the look on his face and in his eyes when the game gets into crunch time…I just think he has the ‘it’ factor."

There's likely more. Or soon will be.

---time to tank for the Oregon QB. 

How? Rest the starters the rest of the year?

:facepalm:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

OK, which kind of offense do the Colts run. Based on pre-snap defensive coverage, or based upon progressions?

Lot's of QB's take punishment for that extra yard. Ask Andrew.

In what ways? Why do the coaches not believe what you see or believe it's 'enough?'

Not according to Charlie Weis, Bill Parcells, and, his head coach-

** Reich is a fan of the temperament Brissett shows in the game’s most critical quarter.  "One thing I’ve noticed with Jacoby in the two games, he almost seems the ‘most calm’ in the 4th quarter. Hopefully that’s a continuing trend. I really like the look on his face and in his eyes when the game gets into crunch time…I just think he has the ‘it’ factor."

There's likely more. Or soon will be.

How? Rest the starters the rest of the year?

:facepalm:

Every NFL offense has progressions.  Not every play but every offense.  You can't play in the NFL without going through progressions.  At least not for long.  See Tim Tebow.

Pre Snap is important, but NFL defenses are masters of disguise.

4 hours ago, Palmettoweed said:

-time to tank for the Oregon QB. 

I'm not sure the team could tank right now if they wanted to.  And I really doubt either REich or Ballard has any intention of going into the tank.

That said I do think the team drafts a QB in the 3rd or 4th round next year. unless Brissett balls out all year.  For depth if nothing else.

43 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Every NFL offense has progressions.  Not every play but every offense.  You can't play in the NFL without going through progressions.  At least not for long.  See Tim Tebow.

Pre Snap is important, but NFL defenses are masters of disguise.

Progression reads-

This kind of read calls for throwing the ball with rhythm drops — i.e. on a five-step drop, the ball is thrown to the first receiver when the fifth step hits (the “rhythm” throw), the second receiver after a hitch-up or gather step (the “read” or “gather” throw), and the third receiver after resetting the feet.

Limitations of progression reads:

A tendency to lock on to the receiver that is first in the progression, which attracts other defenders.
It is frustrating for coaches to watch because they can see that a receiver who is later in the progression is wide open. Thus coaches need to know the progression as well as the quarterback — the QB’s job is to throw it to the first open receiver in the progression.
Quarterbacks will lose patience or think that because the first receiver in the progression was thrown to the first time that he won’t be there when the play is called again. Progression reads require the coach/quarterback not have their mind made up ahead of time.

Coverage reads-

The simple form of this requires that a pass concept be called and the quarterback is told to “throw it to this guy if the defender does this; throw it to that guy if the defender does that.” To make this work, the coaches and quarterback must understand the exact coverage called; (film study, line up, use offense motion, etc...) there might be five receivers deployed but the coverage determines which two or three are “live” for the quarterback. In essence, the quarterback reads defenders, who dictate where the ball will go.

Advantages of coverage reads:
Eliminates the struggle of the progression read trying to determine who was more wide open.
Eliminates the QB from making up his mind before the snap (shouldn’t happen regardless of  Progression Read OR Read the Coverage). Read the defenders to get you to the right receiver in Coverage Reads.
Keeps quarterback on the same page as the Coach because they both know the read and the goal of the play called.
Quarterbacks don’t need to to stare at your receivers to determine who to throw to because they will be looking at defenders (giving more natural look offs).

IE: if defenders drop, hit receiver underneath the coverage. If defenders come up, hit receivers behind the defenders, etc...

If I understand you right, I agree the best teams at some point use a combo.  But that requires a developed interaction over time and experience that I feel our new players I feel haven't mastered yet.

Charlie Weis, for all of his faults, was an incredible offensive coordinator for the Pats?Brady. He says fans make offense way more complicated than it really is much of the time.  I've learned to look up these things he brings up here and there, because he will touch on them on his radio show in answer to callers. But he doesn't elaborate too much. Just points things out to callers and they need to study more on their own if they desire to delve deeper.

47 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I'm not sure the team could tank right now if they wanted to.  And I really doubt either REich or Ballard has any intention of going into the tank.

That said I do think the team drafts a QB in the 3rd or 4th round next year. unless Brissett balls out all year.  For depth if nothing else.

Not just that tanking means trading your best players. How many would be ok to get rid of Nelson or Leonard. This is not happening. KC didn’t have to tank to get Mahomes. If the colts end up needing a QB Reich will find a way to get it done.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Not just that tanking means trading your best players. How many would be ok to get rid of Nelson or Leonard. This is not happening. KC didn’t have to tank to get Mahomes. If the colts end up needing a QB Reich will find a way to get it done.

Tanking doesn't mean trading your best players

25 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Progression reads-

This kind of read calls for throwing the ball with rhythm drops — i.e. on a five-step drop, the ball is thrown to the first receiver when the fifth step hits (the “rhythm” throw), the second receiver after a hitch-up or gather step (the “read” or “gather” throw), and the third receiver after resetting the feet.

Limitations of progression reads:

A tendency to lock on to the receiver that is first in the progression, which attracts other defenders.
It is frustrating for coaches to watch because they can see that a receiver who is later in the progression is wide open. Thus coaches need to know the progression as well as the quarterback — the QB’s job is to throw it to the first open receiver in the progression.
Quarterbacks will lose patience or think that because the first receiver in the progression was thrown to the first time that he won’t be there when the play is called again. Progression reads require the coach/quarterback not have their mind made up ahead of time.

Coverage reads-

The simple form of this requires that a pass concept be called and the quarterback is told to “throw it to this guy if the defender does this; throw it to that guy if the defender does that.” To make this work, the coaches and quarterback must understand the exact coverage called; (film study, line up, use offense motion, etc...) there might be five receivers deployed but the coverage determines which two or three are “live” for the quarterback. In essence, the quarterback reads defenders, who dictate where the ball will go.

Advantages of coverage reads:
Eliminates the struggle of the progression read trying to determine who was more wide open.
Eliminates the QB from making up his mind before the snap (shouldn’t happen regardless of  Progression Read OR Read the Coverage). Read the defenders to get you to the right receiver in Coverage Reads.
Keeps quarterback on the same page as the Coach because they both know the read and the goal of the play called.
Quarterbacks don’t need to to stare at your receivers to determine who to throw to because they will be looking at defenders (giving more natural look offs).

IE: if defenders drop, hit receiver underneath the coverage. If defenders come up, hit receivers behind the defenders, etc...

If I understand you right, I agree the best teams at some point use a combo.  But that requires a developed interaction over time and experience that I feel our new players I feel haven't mastered yet.

Charlie Weis, for all of his faults, was an incredible offensive coordinator for the Pats?Brady. He says fans make offense way more complicated than it really is much of the time.  I've learned to look up these things he brings up here and there, because he will touch on them on his radio show in answer to callers. But he doesn't elaborate too much. Just points things out to callers and they need to study more on their own if they desire to delve deeper.

Yeah it's not all that complex.  It's just really really hard to do.  If there is man coverage then there is nothing to "read" other than the free safety and that isn't really the same thing.  

One of the things that was so frustrating about watching the coach in the Dungy era was that we almost always played the same cover 2 on almost every play.  Even when you play it well, if the O knows whats going on, you can just cover it.

The other thing a QB has to be able to do is the hot read.  That is basically the plan B.  Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes are all great at this.    That's why blitzing guys like this is not a good strategy.

Yes I agree.  Cain and Campbell will need time to develop.  But our TEs, TY, and the backs should be able to offer some options.

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

A successful tanking for this Colts team would need that.

Players don't tank.   Gm's and head coaches tank.  

A head coach can tank very easily with the best players.     Terrible game plans and putting players in bad positions.      I don't buy the tanking thing though.     Why would a coach tank? 

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

A head coach can tank very easily with the best players.     Terrible game plans and putting players in bad positions.      I don't buy the tanking thing though.     Why would a coach tank? 

I don't think coaches tank often, but I think they are involved some times.  Such as an owner, GM and head coach talking about not going all in for this season.   I think the tanking that would usually happen is not bringing in a better QB when the one you have isn't good.   Playing it extremely safe with a good players minor injury and keeping him out of more games than maybe he needs to be kept out of.   Things like that.  I don't think that the play calling is messed with on the field.  

15 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

That's a GREAT stat. Also, for the folks wondering why we're not taking a bunch of deep shots downfield...

This is basically what I was saying in that Quick Passing thread.  They were taking the deep ball away which to me meant we should have just started peppering them with short passes and play action. 

3 hours ago, krunk said:

This is basically what I was saying in that Quick Passing thread.  They were taking the deep ball away which to me meant we should have just started peppering them with short passes and play action. 

IDK. I saw Cain wide open more than 15 yards down field several times. I think the primary reads most of the time are short right now to slowly bring JB along and build confidence.  The good thing though, is even if Cain is getting open downfield (and not getting the ball), he's drawing attention, which is keeping TY from getting doubled. TY separation stats are much improved thus far compared to last year.