Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 2 impressions: Brissett

GoColts8818

4 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

the next quarterback who has zero plays that can be nitpicked as  lost opportunities will be the very first.

I am very afraid of this  exact mentality, that the fans will put Manning and Luck on a pedestal, and any mistake Brissett makes will be met with "Peyton or Andrew make that" whether there's any actual truth to it or not.

Believe it or not Peyton and Andrew occasionally missed deep passes and made non-optimal plays.   

Don't know why that's the standard you're holding a guy who's clearly learning on the job to anyway.

I'd love to see Brissett shock the world and become elite too, but that's a process that is going to take years.  For now, I'll settle happily for a guy who puts the team in a position to win.  And from that standpoitn, so far so excellent, even if the YPG is lagging a bit he's making the key plays he absoluely needs to make.

Exactly. All quarterbacks can be "nitpicked" so why do some have such an issue when JB is critiqued? 

Nothing to do with Andrew or Peyton to be honest. Either of those two are a massively unfair comparison.

That throw is one I would expect ANY starting quarterback, earning $15m dollars to see. That's the only standard I'm judging him against. I think Jacoby himself would expect to see that throw as the better option if he looked back at it.

I don't even want Brissett to be elite. I just want him to get his game yards and yards per attempt up to a level that gives me confidence that we can win games even when we don't have 150+ rushing yards or when the opposition have a quarterback who can rack up above average points and yardage.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Exactly. All quarterbacks can be "nitpicked" so why do some have such an issue when JB is critiqued? 

This has been my least favorite word on the forums recently. You can't critique anything about Brissett's game without that word being thrown around lately.

24 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I would hate to see the kind of trashing a rookie QB would get if JB is getting what he is getting without even throwing the ball that much.

Personally, I don't think anybody's really been trashing him in this thread today (there has been some trashing going on, but not with these recent posts). The only harsh thing said today here is that he's "average at best" which I do think is incorrect. 

• Like 1

JB is not a rookie. He has had plenty of time behind center. Could he be rusty from riding the pine all last year? He is a backup QB period. He will have moments of brilliance and times where you wonder whats up. A franchise QB has up and downs however, his consistency has to be at an elevated level. He has to have a short memory when it comes to bad plays. watch Cam newton. When things are not going his way, it gets under his skin and he suffers. He is another over rated QB in my opinion.  

• Like 1

I agree, noone's been trashing Brissett.  Or at least it's a very small minority of fans

What has been happening is the slow, painful process of fans resetting their expectations after nearly nearly 2 solid decades of almost uninterrupted elite quarterback play.   Fans used to being able to set their sights higher are struggling a little to understand what Brissett is and how to manage expectations of a QB who is by no means elite.

If you overestimate a guy like Brissett, a guy who doesn't have world beating talent and who WILL make mistakes, and set  "normal" expectations you might have set for our QB a year or two ago, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.  And ZERO percent of the fault for that disappointment will be Brissett's

I just hope people understand to temper their expectations and don't expect the world of a QB like Brissett who's still learning on the job.  When I hear people suggest that Brissett needs 300 yards the temptation is to laugh, but I'm afraid that people might actually think that's reasonable and sour our relationship with Brissett out of the box.

Be patient and take the guy week to week. Don't set benchmarks of how many yards, how many passes, etc.  That's not how this works when there's a new starting QB and everyone's getting used to each other.  They're adapting on the fly and so far they've done a real good job of it.  Let that process continue \

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, MCurtis32 said:

JB is not a rookie. He has had plenty of time behind center. 

He had  time under center  in a completely different system under a different head coach.  The team's got to readjust to him, and he's got to adjust to Reich's style rather than Pagano's.  Fortunately he lad last year to help him learn the playbook but last year's offense was still built around Luck and what he can do, with Brissett  as something of an afterthought.  

I'm not sure how much Reich's system carries over from Pagano's.  I honestly HOPE it's not very much.  This should be factored in.  Either way it WILL take Reich time to tweak the offense to get the most out of Brissett.  Right now we're still in the process of figuring out what Brissett can actually do so Reich even CAN rejig the game plans

Sure he has experience from 2017, but we should still treat him almost like a FA signing because even with the year to hold a clipboard in Luck's offense, this is still new ground  for everyone

He is a backup QB period. 

Saying something you can't prove over and over again doesn't make it true.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

This has been my least favorite word on the forums recently. You can't critique anything about Brissett's game without that word being thrown around lately.

You can personally thank the crowd that likes to echo 'he's trash and won't lead us to anything, I know I'm right', 2 weeks into the season crowd.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

Nothing to do with Andrew or Peyton to be honest. Either of those two are a massively unfair comparison.

That throw is one I would expect ANY starting quarterback, earning $15m dollars to see. That's the only standard I'm judging him against. I think Jacoby himself would expect to see that throw as the better option if he looked back at it.

Ok, I'm almost convinced. I haven't watched Game Pass or all 22 yet (why did I even spend the Benjamin? ).
What was the situation - what down, distance to first down, where on the field, and amount of time on the clock?

Once I know these parameters, I'll determine for myself (notice, just myself) if the riskier throw was the better choice... or not. Without these factors, I'm not yet on board.

And if it is one he should have 'seen' and made, it was very likely pointed out in the Monday game film recap meeting, I'm sure.

I don't even want Brissett to be elite. I just want him to get his game yards and yards per attempt up to a level that gives me confidence that we can win games even when we don't have 150+ rushing yards or when the opposition have a quarterback who can rack up above average points and yardage.

I don't want him to do it just for show. Just win the game, follow the game plan. Get the pass yards and YPA up when it's needed. I don't want stuff on tape for future DC's to plan against, if it was not totally necessary. But I do want him getting less check down charlie as he progresses. So I get it.

1 hour ago, MCurtis32 said:

JB is not a rookie. He has had plenty of time behind center. Could he be rusty from riding the pine all last year?

How did Luck (with more experience and talent) do through 6 games last year after riding the pine all the previous year?

He is a backup QB period. He will have moments of brilliance and times where you wonder whats up. A franchise QB has up and downs however, his consistency has to be at an elevated level.

He's a WIP on that now...

He has to have a short memory when it comes to bad plays. watch Cam newton. When things are not going his way, it gets under his skin and he suffers. He is another over rated QB in my opinion.  

JB doesn't do that often, from my perspective. And if  he ever does (all QB's do at some point), Brian Hoyer is 'the guy' to bring him back to center. That's why he is QB2, and not CK. Tom Brady admitted Hoyer did it for him, too.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, IinD said:

You can personally thank the crowd that likes to echo 'he's trash and won't lead us to anything, I know I'm right', 2 weeks into the season crowd.

Yeah, there are people who are already hellbent on being against Brissett and have been since the season started.

But it's annoying when somebody points on an area where Brissett struggled and it just gets blown off as nitpicking or lumped into the hating/trashing narrative.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I mean, yeah, there are people who are already hellbent on being against Brissett and have been since the season started.

But it's annoying when somebody makes a legitimate point in an area where Brissett struggled and it just gets blown off as nitpicking or lumped into the hating/trashing narrative.

Eh.  I get where you're coming from but at the same time, it was one play.  There have already been examples of Brissett making those veteran throws a couple times, mostly to TY Hilton because TY is one of the few guys on the offensive roster that was there in 17

• Like 2

He has already proved he has a short memory and things don’t bother him. Leading the team to a winning TD and to a tie shows he doesn’t let things bother him. Having the clutch factor was my biggest concern before the season started. He has proved so far in third down and having drives to win and tie he has it.  If we keep running and mixing a few explosive plays in they won’t be able to focus on the run game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

Eh.  I get where you're coming from but at the same time, it was one play.  There have already been examples of Brissett making those veteran throws a couple times, mostly to TY Hilton because TY is one of the few guys on the offensive roster that was there in 17

I am sure you could go back to manning and Luck and find a couple plays. Yes that’s the point. Harping on one play instead of the ten other good plays he made. 

• Like 2

Just to clarify or sum up my thoughts, Brissett has exceeded my expectations so far.

Before the season I said I hoped he would improve in two areas, red zone efficiency and 3rd down %, and he's done both. The theory that he'd do better with better coaching/better OL/better talent has definitely proven to be true (less sacks, better run game = much shorter 3rd downs to convert than '17).

I also think that it's good to break down his play to point out both the good and the bad. Pointing out the good is obvious, but I think it's necessary to point out areas where he struggled, even if it was missing one or two open guys, to see if he improves on those areas or to see if it becomes a bad habit. Otherwise, we wouldn't know if he's improving or not as the year goes on.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I'm not sure how much Reich's system carries over from Pagano's.  I honestly HOPE it's not very much. 

Arians, Pep, Chud...  pretty much a vertical attack (many deep shots).  Reich... not so much.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2018/09/11202534/TY-Bengals-w-slowmo-2.mp4?_=1

That's a Reich type play. With a few keep 'em honest long balls tossed in.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am sure you could go back to manning and Luck and find a couple plays. Yes that’s the point. Harping on one play instead of the ten other good plays he made. 

And there have been some really good ones. Week 1, displayed some solid accuracy. Week 2, the TD's to both Campbell and TY definitely had me nodding in approval. And actually, the shovel pass to Ebron was nothing to overlook either, he had to make it quick and in a tight space, which he did.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Just to clarify or sum up my thoughts, Brissett has exceeded my expectations so far.

Before the season I said I hoped he would improve in two areas, red zone efficiency and 3rd down %, and he's done both. The theory that he'd do better with better coaching/better OL/better talent has definitely proven to be true (less sacks, better run game = much shorter 3rd downs to convert than '17).

I also think that it's good to break down his play to point out both the good and the bad. Pointing out the good is obvious, but I think it's necessary to point out areas where he struggled, even if it was missing one or two open guys, to see if he improves on those areas or to see if it becomes a bad habit. Otherwise, we wouldn't know if he's improving or not as the year goes on.

Yeah this irritates me. I don't understand why people are so defensive of JB. If you say anything that isn't an absolute compliment, you get hit with a dozen excuses, comparisons and other auxiliary comments that deflect attention away from his shortcomings as a QB. It makes it difficult to have an honest conversation about his play. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Ok, I'm almost convinced. I haven't watched Game Pass or all 22 yet (why did I even spend the Benjamin? ).
What was the situation - what down, distance to first down, where on the field, and amount of time on the clock?

Once I know these parameters, I'll determine for myself (notice, just myself) if the riskier throw was the better choice... or not. Without these factors, I'm not yet on board.

It was the first play after Derrick Henry had just put them up 14-13.

1st and 10 from our 25

Down by one point

11.30 left in the 3rd quarter 

Can't see any situational reason to take the checkdown there.

5 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

To add to this, the truth is, we've played...two....games....this season.  I say by game 4 or 5 we'll know what his ceiling is.

4 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

To add to this, the truth is, we've played...two....games....this season.  I say by game 4 or 5 we'll know what his ceiling is.

To me, we would know his progression, not ceiling. I’ll bet the playbook is still not fully installed yet, nor fully grasped by all of the player.  Some are further along than others as well.  I believe we can thank the CBA (with its very much reduced coach/player/team activities in the off season) at least in part for the less than stellar offensive creativity and brilliance in execution.

JB is a Works In Progress. I don’t feel that 4 weeks will determine his final destination. Unless, he really isn’t going to be more than average.  I’m watching the full year.  That should be a good indicator for what the team should plan to do next off season/training camp,

• Like 1

I'm a long time Colts fan who now lives in the Bootheel of NM.  I don't get to watch the games so I listen on the radio stream.  It's not the same as seeing what is happening but I don't think I want to give DTV anymore of my money for their crappy Sunday NFL Ticket. 

I see alot of fans questioning Brissett's abilities. Well, he was Tom Brady's backup so he rarely if ever played. Then he came to Indy to sit on the bench. The guy can't be a bad QB if the *s drafted him, and then Indy picks him up. He's not had alot of time to play and get used to the NFL. I think he'll get much better and he seems to be a quick learner.  I'm more concerned about wth is going on with Adam Vinatieri!! How can one of the most accurate and prolific Kickers suddenly get so bad?  Colts need a Kicker and fast!  GO BLUE!! 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Interesting fun fact. Falcons head coach was at Florida the year Jacoby was there.

Charlie Weis ( OC ) recruited him to U of F.  Driskel was the #1 sought after QB recruit and ranked as the top quarterback in the 2011 national recruiting class by both Rivals and ESPN.  JB was more a pocket passer that Weis system likes.  Driskel was mentioned to be part Tim Tebow, and part John Brantley.   They both got playing time as freshman. They competed hard to win the starting job as Sophomores-

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-gators/os-jacoby-brissett-starts-florida-gators-story.html

Charlie Weis had left the program by then, and Muschamp went with Driskel over JB (the overriding factor was because of his legs, reportedly).  JB transferred to NC State,  and sat out a year before playing.

So yes, I expect Quinn knows him.

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

I expect  Brissett  to be much better eventually.  Luck was brought  along just as slow the beginning  of last year and every one was like where are the deep balls? Eventually  Cain, Campbell,  or Roger's will get more involved  with offense. 

Luck was coming off of a shoulder injury and he looked like he had problems with the velocity of the ball on intermediate and long balls the first several weeks. Also the OLine was injured and still not in its final shape and Reich was trying to protect him(he was still throwing a ton, even if not deep). This is not remotely similar. Jacoby can throw it 60 yards off platform if he decides to do it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Luck was coming off of a shoulder injury and he looked like he had problems with the velocity of the ball on intermediate and long balls the first several weeks. Also the OLine was injured and still not in its final shape and Reich was trying to protect him(he was still throwing a ton, even if not deep). This is not remotely similar. Jacoby can throw it 60 yards off platform if he decides to do it. 

Yea but I still think Frank Reich  is easing  him in.

30 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Yea but I still think Frank Reich  is easing  him in.

Everyone's getting used to each other.  this is a new-look offense, it was a new look offense last year when Luck as being eased in, and it's a new look offense yet again thanks to the new QB.  Ballard has done a heck of a job rebuilding the team, but this kind of quick retooling comes at a cost, because the new roster isn't all  that familiar with each other yet.

I honesty think we'll see the best returns of Ballard's excellent work on the roster next year, when our core is more comfortable with each other and everyone has at least  a year of experience working with everyone else.

For now, early returns are encouraging

• Like 1