Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 2 impressions: Brissett

GoColts8818

5 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Certainly not awful. 

Today had a lot more of that 2017 feel to it. That indecisiveness, holding the ball too long, the delay in reading the defense... all that stuff that wasn’t really coaching and scheme oriented. It’s fundamental. 

That’s the kind of stuff that’s going to determine his glass ceiling much more than scheme or coaching. 

I really like the guy but he doesn't seem to read defenses pre snap which leads to his indecisiveness and is not hitting his receivers coming out of their breaks. When the camera scans the field it seems like no one is open but with a good D you have to know your reads pre snap and be decisive and deliver the ball when they are open for that split second,. Hopefully he learns this but only time will tell. 

10 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I listened on the radio, so did not hear the comment.  But I question their judgement here.

I do know the primary target's distance downfield and the # of steps the QB takes is in lockstep.  Say it is medium depth dig.  QB takes 5 step drop, hitch, and releases the pass to a practiced spot. If they guy looks blanketed as the play develops, the QB must move on in the progression.  Hit the first open man. Brissett had (at least one or more) coverage sack(s), while waiting for a receiver to 'come open'.  QB's often don't get an extra 1-2 seconds after their drop back.

I'd rather see him dump off rather than get a sack or, especially, a strip sack while 'holding the ball too long (what many complained about tonight already!)

I think that's a credit to he Titans secondary.  Our guys were having trouble getting open especially on some of the deeper routes.  He dumped off quite a few times and other times there was no one to dump it to.  There defense is good especially the secondary.  I thought he was getting time to throw for the most part just nothing there.   I think Reich could have used the TE's more in the passing game.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think that's a credit to he Titans secondary.  Our guys were having trouble getting open especially on some of the deeper routes.  He dumped off quite a few times and other times there was no one to dump it to.  There defense is good especially the secondary.  I thought he was getting time to throw for the most part just nothing there.   I think Reich could have used the TE's more in the passing game.  

More TE and more speed with Campbell would of helped the receivers getting jammed. I would like to know when he is going to unleash Campbell. He is one player that can help get the ball out quicker and get a lot of yards after the catch.  Brissett didn’t look any worse then Luck did in that KC game.

At the start of the year, we would've taken 1-1 in these first two games, WITH Luck......we are three chip shot extra points away from 2-0 without him.

We have to be satisfied with his performance. Or we just arent being realistic. The team has looked good outside of special teams. Balanced. The defense has made plays, rushed the passer well. The offense has moved the ball when it needed to and are playing good situationally. They are good on third down and in the redz0ne, and they are running the ball as well as any team in the league. When is the last time you remember popping 50+ yard runs every game? 

I have seen nothing so far that says we shouldn't be a playoff team. We are young and should only get better. I'm more excited now than I was after Lucks decision, I know that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

No but every team can stack the box and play tight man on your WRs and challenge them at the line.  That’s what the Colts are going to see until they start going down the field.  They are going to pretty much beg the Colts to throw deep on them.  The Colts will need to take advantage of that.

I dont think so. Teams fear TY Hilton. And we also have Parris Campbell who can stretch it.

If that's what they want to do, I say knock yourself out. I like those matchups.

6 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

At the start of the year, we would've taken 1-1 in these first two games, WITH Luck......we are three chip shot extra points away from 2-0 without him.

We have to be satisfied with his performance. Or we just arent being realistic. The team has looked good outside of special teams. Balanced. The defense has made plays, rushed the passer well. The offense has moved the ball when it needed to and are playing good situationally. They are good on third down and in the redz0ne, and they are running the ball as well as any team in the league. When is the last time you remember popping 50+ yard runs every game? 

I have seen nothing so far that says we shouldn't be a playoff team. We are young and should only get better. I'm more excited now than I was after Lucks decision, I know that.

Today was a huge win, it changes a lot. 1-1 and 0-2 is a big difference. Colts now have 2 road games out of the way too. Still all 8 at home.

• Thanks 3

56 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Oline has to get better in pass protection. I don’t think they were great outside that 55 yard run by Wilkins. Some of that has to be JB and Kelly calling out the correct protections.

Its a combination of the whole group. The O line isn't always going to throw perfect blocks and when that happens the QB also has to know how to navigate through the mess with his movement in the pocket and get the ball where it needs to go or just tuck the ball and run.  Jacoby still needs work navigating through the trash when defenders are disrupting the pocket.  A lot of times last year Luck kept the sack numbers low through his own efforts.  He'd navigate the trash and evade sacks even when the line leaked a little bit.  I'm still of the opinion we should have gone with more crossing routes and slants today to deal with all the man coverage.  Increase the play action.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Today was a huge win, it changes a lot. 1-1 and 0-2 is a big difference. Colts now have 2 road games out of the way too. Still all 8 at home.

Absolutely, it's tough to start out on the road like that and we played two playoff caliber teams in their home openers. It's been a really good start. Now is the time to beat us and we are weathering the storm. Next week is a big one, but I think we have a very good shot with Atlanta.

I think Jacoby is up to task. I really do. He had a shaky stretch in the 2nd half, but he gathered himself and made the plays he needed to make, on the road against a very good defense. If he completes that early pass to Cain, instead of the PI, he has much more respectable yardage numbers and it looked on the money before the contact. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

Its a combination of the whole group. The O line isn't always going to throw perfect blocks and when that happens the QB also has to know how to navigate through the mess with his movement in the pocket and get the ball where it needs to go or just tuck the ball and run.  Jacoby still needs work navigating through the trash when defenders are disrupting the pocket.  A lot of times last year Luck kept the sack numbers low through his own efforts.  He'd navigate the trash and evade sacks even when the line leaked a little bit.  I'm still of the opinion we should have gone with more crossing routes and slants today to deal with all the man coverage.  Increase the play action.

We seen that we would of used DF in those slant routes. He might turn out to be a huge loss. Reich has to be a little better at play calling.

I don't think them being competitive last week, and winning this week, is any indication that JB is a good QB. Ballard has built a damn good football team, one that would have contended for a SB with Andrew Luck. That's why they're where they're at, this is a really solid football team. I'm not gonna act like JB is horrible, because he's not, but he's on the average side for sure. I could name at least 13-14 QBs starting right now, and probably a couple that aren't, that are better than Brissett, leaving him middle of the pack...or in other words league average. Turay and Autry are game wreckers on that line, the corners are legit playing well, that one handed INT in-stride by Hooker may be the best defensive play of the year thus far. I'm not sure he's gonna get a whole lot better than he is right now, it's not like he just set foot in the NFL and is learning the process, or game speed, he's been doing this. He may not be at his absolute peak, but he's probably 75-80% of it. They need to take a guy like Herbert, Fromm, Love, or Burrows in the 20 draft and let them play behind Brissett for a year. Essentially what is going on in New York and Washington, except there's already a really solid team built, which should expedite the process. With one of the 2nd rounders grab a Henry Ruggs or Jalen Reagor to pair with Parris Campbell, and let the young QB grow with his talented playmakers. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

We’re so used to Peyton & Andrew throwing it 30-50 times a game.  That’s not gonna happen by design this season. Frank said from the get go that he wants a top 10 rushing attack.  And he’s calling the game just like that.  

You guys better hope we don’t have a game where JB has to throw it 40 times or air it out a lot.  Because that would mean some team has neutralized our run & built a big lead on us...  I’m sure we will have games where we’re gonna have to open up.  I’m interested to see how he does in those games.  

But until then I’m happy to just keep winning, keep gaining experience, & keep building our identity & culture.

And last but not least, how many dead to rights sacks did JB save us from giving up today???

Chiefs game will be that game

6 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I don't think them being competitive last week, and winning this week, is any indication that JB is a good QB. Ballard has built a damn good football team, one that would have contended for a SB with Andrew Luck. That's why they're where they're at, this is a really solid football team. I'm not gonna act like JB is horrible, because he's not, but he's on the average side for sure. I could name at least 13-14 QBs starting right now, and probably a couple that aren't, that are better than Brissett, leaving him middle of the pack...or in other words league average. Turay and Autry are game wreckers on that line, the corners are legit playing well, that one handed INT in-stride by Hooker may be the best defensive play of the year thus far. I'm not sure he's gonna get a whole lot better than he is right now, it's not like he just set foot in the NFL and is learning the process, or game speed, he's been doing this. He may not be at his absolute peak, but he's probably 75-80% of it. They need to take a guy like Herbert, Fromm, Love, or Burrows in the 20 draft and let them play behind Brissett for a year. Essentially what is going on in New York and Washington, except there's already a really solid team built, which should expedite the process. With one of the 2nd rounders grab a Henry Ruggs or Jalen Reagor to pair with Parris Campbell, and let the young QB grow with his talented playmakers. 

Brissett  has to throw it down field.  He has the arm to get the yardarm, but Frank Reich is using him like Trent Dilfer.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I listened on the radio, so did not hear the comment.  But I question their judgement here.

I do know the primary target's distance downfield and the # of steps the QB takes is in lockstep.  Say it is medium depth dig.  QB takes 5 step drop, hitch, and releases the pass to a practiced spot. If they guy looks blanketed as the play develops, the QB must move on in the progression.  Hit the first open man. Brissett had (at least one or more) coverage sack(s), while waiting for a receiver to 'come open'.  QB's often don't get an extra 1-2 seconds after their drop back.

I'd rather see him dump off rather than get a sack or, especially, a strip sack while 'holding the ball too long (what many complained about tonight already!)

He had time on this play and archaletta, whose name I just completely misspelled, showed it in pretty good detail that Jacoby just didn’t stick with him long enough as TY was coming wide open just a few years beyond the check down guy.  

With that said Jacoby does hold the ball too long times and today it showed up after the INT.  I think again he got fooled and wasn’t trusting what he was seeing and didn’t want to make another mistake.  In other words he was thinking too much which lead to holding the ball too long.  

That should be fixable with some good coaching and film study this week.

1 hour ago, GoatBeard said:

I dont think so. Teams fear TY Hilton. And we also have Parris Campbell who can stretch it.

If that's what they want to do, I say knock yourself out. I like those matchups.

Yes but until you make them pay for those matchups teams will try it because it made Jacoby very uncomfortable today and it’s the best way to stop the run.  So that’s what I am saying let’s see the Colts make teams pay for it.

1 hour ago, GoatBeard said:

Considering  how bad some of the teams on our schedule  have looked  we should be good.

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Titans fans before the game = easy win, no Andrew Luck and Brissett is a scrub,

Brissett to Titans fans = Hold my beer lmao 

They were having  a meltdown  over Wilkins 55 yard run. Saying we got beat by a scrub rb. They also hate Mariota. 

10 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

The play calling leaves a lot to be desired. It’s like Frank forces plays that haven’t worked all day. Today it was the lateral run plays. Our screen game seems to be predictable. I wonder if we have a tell or something.

Brissett is a safe QB. He’s not goin to take risks often. That’s why this offense comes of bland and slow 

Agree about the lateral runs. There was a couple times when we just needed short yardage - clearly best going straight down the middle especially with an O-line like ours. Panthers did the same the other night and that cost them big time.

As for Brissett, so far I am pleasantly surprised with him. I thought he would struggle more than he has, not that he has been amazing or anything but he is doing an okay job so far. Hopefully he keeps getting better with more games under his belt.

4 hours ago, Stephen said:

They were having  a meltdown  over Wilkins 55 yard run. Saying we got beat by a scrub rb. They also hate Mariota. 

They hate Mariota because he is good enough to keep them in QB purgatory.  Most of their fans to this point have been trying to convince everyone a game manager is all they need, and is in fact a good thing.  They are losing their influence now. Calls for Tanny will be coming this year.

This is why I am scared of Brissett, he is our Mariota.  They play almost the same style of game.  He needs to anticipate the wr getting open, and be comfortable going to his second and third reads.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bhougland said:

He needs to anticipate the wr getting open, and be comfortable going to his second and third reads.

And do a better job with velocity

There were 2-3 drops yesterday because the ball came too fast. 

Throw a "catchable' ball with consistency

Not every game is gonna be a gem.  He played better last week, but Tennessee has a really good D too.  I think we’ll know what we have in Brissett by season’s end.  The good news is that if our OL and RBs keep wearing down Ds,   a game manager is all we’ll need.  And while he had some misfires yesterday, he is a relatively accurate thrower...

Folks need to be patient. Some really good objective posts assessing JB, others(arm chair GM's)are  to quick to pass judgement on where he is at and ready to toss him aside and draft someone else. Unreal. Not every franchise is blessed with a top tier QB....this team had one in PM and AL....some fans get spoiled and expect to much at this point in his young career. Chris Ballard and Frank have their jobs for certain reasons. They no more than any of us ever would.

Relax for now, no reason to panic at this point.

I think Brissett did great against the Titans. 

I also think Reich still has training wheels on him. Whether that's good or bad, I don't know yet. But the "game mgr" title will stick until they cut him loose. 

Good: 

The TY TD was a great touch throw. 

The shovel pass was a perfect read. He had other options and held it just long enough to make it work. 

His sack escape artistry was pretty amazing. 

Bad: 

He is holding on to the ball too long in a lot of situations. If nobody's open, don't second guess running it. Just take off and go.

I like that his eyes are down the field, but don't be afraid to dump it off. 

I thought the play calling had a few good play designs worked in, but it needs to get better as a whole. Stop telegraphing the run to the left. Can we start throwing to a RB out of the backfield please? I like that they used more play action, but spread it out. Not 3x in a row and not do it again for 3 more series. 

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

True.  I don't think all the fans realize just how far Brissett was behind the 8 ball.  The first 2 games of the new season, on the road, against playoff regulars.  No chance to get comfortable against scrubs for Brissett -- right into the fire he went, and he had to figure out how to handle it.

And handle it he did, splitting a very tough road trip and putting his team a very favorable position to fight for the division

With that kind of pressure on him, I think JB7 played this EXTREMELY well, especially for a guy who's still developing and looking for chemistry with his targets.  It says something that even though he's still got some learning to do he was Reich's favorite weapon in the red zone, even against 2 of the best defenses in the NFL.  And it says more that he came through with enough points to win both of those games, even if special teams let 1 of them get away.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jszfunk said:

Folks need to be patient. Some really good objective posts assessing JB, others(arm chair GM's)are  to quick to pass judgement on where he is at and ready to toss him aside and draft someone else. Unreal. Not every franchise is blessed with a top tier QB....this team had one in PM and AL....some fans get spoiled and expect to much at this point in his young career. Chris Ballard and Frank have their jobs for certain reasons. They no more than any of us ever would.

Relax for now, no reason to panic at this point.

I couldn’t agree more, that we need to be patient. The reality is, the Colts lost Luck and his production won’t replaced by Brissett most likely.

The Colts were 7th in total offense and averaged 27 PPG in 2018, so far in 2019 they rank 23 in total offense and 21PPG. 

It’s only 2 games into the season, so with the weapons, improved O-Line and run game, I hoping the offense improves midway through the season. Time will tell.