Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Retires/ The timing of it all... (merge)

boo2202

4 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

I always got the impression he liked to play the game but he wasn't consumed by it.  The great ones live and breath it.   This is a rare occurrence a guy quits in his prime but it is not unprecedented. 

^^^This

Even early on I always had the thought in the back of my head that his obvious interests outside of football might come into play at some point.  Although I never envisioned it playing out like this, it was obvious from the time he entered the league that he didn't prioritize football like many players do ("live and breath the game").

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, presto123 said:

To be honest, I have felt in my gut for a long time now that Andrew Luck would never reach his potential. Just felt it for a long time now. Hate being right about it.

Luck was good but not really great in my opinion.  He never got over his turn over problems and made too many ill advised throws at times for someone of his stature.  I'm sorry to see him go.  But I  don't think he was so good that the Colts will never be able to bounce back from his departure.  What this means is the Colts are no longer Super Bowl contenders this year.  They still have a shot of being a playoff team if Jacoby and/or Swag Kelly can step up.  The overall roster talent is better than it has been in years thanks to Ballard.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HOF19 said:

CSMOPAR all summer long I had a uneasy feeling about this situation with Luck like something was coming down the pike and I always wondered if I was the only Colt's fan feeling that ….Kinda like the story we where getting all summer seemed just a bit grey area-ish or was it just me ?

There did seem to be the air of impending doom . 

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is really somber.

“The toughest challenge of a leader is to keep your people motivated and together in the darkest hours of the darkest days” General Taylor, 101st Airborne Division Commander, Jan 1945

Jacoby will fully be tested now

3 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

CSMOPAR all summer long I had a uneasy feeling about this situation with Luck like something was coming down the pike and I always wondered if I was the only Colt's fan feeling that ….Kinda like the story we where getting all summer seemed just a bit grey area-ish or was it just me ?

I gotta say, a bit of me wondered if he’d make it all season before IR. But I did not see this one coming at all. 

10 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

I guess the pain wasn't that bad when he signed that contract extension.

See a stupid comment like that from a "fan" is what ruins it for everyone else.

What you fail to realize is that sure during the contract extension he was in "pain" and to your words "wasn't that bad", because it feels manageable and you feel like it will go away. Fast forward three years later, the contract extension that he signed by you before the shoulder, surgery, and multiple rehabs, is still there. That changes your perspective and if you can't slightly understand that then anything you have to say on the subject doesn't matter. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Do we even think Jacoby Brisett is Nick Foles?  That is now the question at hand. We got a good team but I'm not totally sure he's as good as Foles. 

I agree, I think it is very premature for Brissett to be placed on the front lines already. We still needed Luck’s skill and leadership presence for a while longer before we could move on from him with complete confidence.

This is extremely upsetting

sad classic film GIF by Film Society of Lincoln Center

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Don’t know but if there’s a coach anywhere that can pull this out of his rear end, it’s Frank Reich. I can think of only one other coach who I’d trust to save this ship from sinking, and that man wears a Hoodie and lives in Boston

Well if there is ever coach that knows what it’s like to go from back up to a franchise QB to being the guy your team needs it’s Reich.  I trust he has what it will take to put Brissett in the best position he can to succeed.  Now all we can do is watch and hope for the best.

23 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

that's some serious blue koolaid you are drinking my man

Why not believe, I mean Kurt Warner wasn't even good enough to be drafted? Tom Brady was a six round skinny guy pick. Jacoby has experience, has the love of his teammates why shouldnt we think he can do it. Unlike '17 the offense is made to do well in. He has had practice. Has other players why not

• Like 1

Just now, csmopar said:

“The toughest challenge of a leader is to keep your people motivated and together in the darkest hours of the darkest days” General Taylor, 101st Airborne Division Commander, Jan 1945

Jacoby will fully be tested now

IB and the entire coaching staff. Ballard preaches character. We are about to test that.

• Like 1

Maybe this is why Reich has been wanting to be a top 5 rushing team ad nauseum this season? Probably known for a while about Andrew.  In his mind that's how the offense would need to be constructed with Brissett behind center. I'm just tossing scenarios out there.

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Did you see the Broncos after Peyton? Top 3 defense and they went no where

Yes I did, but I believe they were starting Brock Osweiler. We also have a ton of weapons for Jacoby. They didnt have the OL we have either. 

I'm not saying we will be great this year, but I think we at least have a chance to be really good.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Well if there is ever coach that knows what it’s like to go from back up to a franchise QB to being the guy your team needs it’s Reich.  I trust he has what it will take to put Brissett in the best position he can to succeed.  Now all we can do is watch and hope for the best.

I agree on this. Now I want this team to rise up and rub it in Lucks face if we somehow rise out of this and win the Super Bowl. That would be hilarious 

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

IB and the entire coaching staff. Ballard preaches character. We are about to test that.

Agreed. 

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Maybe this is why Reich has been wanting to be a top 5 rushing team ad nauseum this season? Probably known for a while about Andrew.  In his mind that's how the offense would need to be constructed with Brissett behind center. I'm just tossing scenarios out there.

Here’s an interesting scenario, do we now look at making a trade offer for Zeke? Not that I am for it nor suggesting we should but is this a move one looks at now if your Ballard or do you stay the course

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Yes I did, but I believe they were starting Brock Osweiler. We also have a ton of weapons for Jacoby. They didnt have the OL we have either. 

I'm not saying we will be great this year, but I think we at least have a chance to be really good.

I think we have a chance to be over .500

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blueblood23 said:

Good thing they gave him that big contract with all that guaranteed money.

I'm not going to read 18 pages to see if this has been addressed. Here's the deal on some of that guaranteed money....

"Okay, there are actually two "buts" for retirements. When a player retires, the team has the option to pursue the return of a portion of the signing bonus equal to the unplayed portions of the contract, and that money is no longer counted against the salary cap. This is typically done through an arbitrator. This is known as the "Barry Sanders Rule" because this is exactly how the situation played out in his case, as he was required to pay back a portion of his bonus. The difference between now and then is there was no precedent when Sanders played; now, it's explicitly written into the CBA to allow for this arbitration."

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Here’s an interesting scenario, do we now look at making a trade offer for Zeke? Not that I am for it nor suggesting we should but is this a move one looks at now if your Ballard or do you stay the course

Ballard doesn’t rate RBs nearly as high as some of us do, that’s what has been observed so far.

JJ would want a Herschel Walker like return, not happening.

• Thanks 1

after 10+ calls from Indy, and an unknown amount of texts, my phone died... lol.

i didn't plan well for the depression. only had 3 beers in the house. no hard liquor, but luckily have several expensive bottles of wine. now that i can't talk on the phone, grabbing my trusty corkscrew. going to wage war on a 200 dollar bottle of vino. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

It might not be tomorrow but someday I’m willing to bet Andrew will regret this decision. Hope he enjoys his retirement and family...and thus I close the book on Andrew. Now I can see the difference between greatness and a good player. Peyton Manning had four neck surgeries, could never feel his fingers and basically willed himself back from a shell of a body to go on and complete his career. Andrew Luck...well he gave up. Two different mindsets...and us Colts fans know greatness when we see it. Sadly Andrew had the talent but not the desire...and I think that upsets people.

You have got to be kidding me. That's not the difference between greatness and a good player. That's arguably the difference between insanity and rationality as a player. Look at what you said here. One man decided to keep playing after four neck surgeries. What did that get him? Did you see Manning in his final season? Did you see how his body basically gave up on him? Why would Andrew Luck subject himself to that? For your entertainment? For a ring? For a game that he hasn't enjoyed as much as he once did? If all players aspired to your ridiculous standard of "greatness", they might not even be able to make it the podium on the day of their retirement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Can't do that, may need the the ammunition to trade up for QB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

I was thinking the same thing. Transition to a ground and pound team. We obviously need to do something here. 

Just now, esmort said:

Can't do that, may need the the ammunition to trade up for QB.

We don’t even have that ammo as we speak. And your assuming there’s gonna be a decent one there to trade up for. 

Just now, Colts1324 said:

I was thinking the same thing. Transition to a ground and pound team. We obviously need to do something here. 

We don’t need to do anything at that position but I get your point 

I'm expecting JB to be better than he was when Pagano was here. 2 years in this offensive system and a ton of weapons.  He looked better against the blitz in the Browns game.  His toughness I don't question in the least.  Before we got him from the Pats I thought he could be a big time QB, but after watching numerous games under Pagano I got more of a feeling that his ceiling was just average or worse.  A somewhat unfair assessment considering the circumstances under which we acquired his services.  Plus he didn't have much experience.  The story is a little bit different this time around so it will be interesting to see how much improvement he shows.

• Like 1