Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Retires/ The timing of it all... (merge)

boo2202

Just now, ThatOneColtFan said:

Uh, the rehab process doesn't exactly get easier or better in your 30s...

But he's got to rehab whether hes playing or not, right?

If he's in pain..he needs surgery whether he plays or not....

He's giving up maybe 5-10 years of playing the game he loves..

I gave my pessimist view, now here's one for the inner optimist. People always said he was the Jordan of football, well he could still come out of retirement if he gets his mind right like Jordan did. Especially if you see him at all the games active with the team still. Don't burn your bridges forever. People chill and have faith he changes his mind and gets healthy and regrets and comes back with a burning fire.

People are on here acting like he isn't a human being because he gets paid millions of dollars.

The post game interview, he stated that over the past 4 years hes been dealing with pain during the season and throughout the offseason and continuously rehabbing.

I'm sure these same people can hardly get through a whole day with a headache, let alone 4 years of continual pain and rehabbing.

You act like you know this mans life and how he feels and everything should be okay because of money? Nah that ain't it. I'd bet that 99% of people that are in pain all the time would trade all the money in the world to be pain free.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Surge89 said:

Lmao. You are quite funny. Because I call him a quitter I feel strongly? I guess? I mean life is gonna continue and it effects me very little. What does effect me and (I actually agree with you it probably shouldn't) is how much everyone is idolizing this quitter and saying it's ok. For some reason that irks me. Oh well have fun assuming all you want about me. It shows how out of depth you really are. 

Because noone idolizes you?

I'm perfectly in depth my friend. I have something called perspective. Without that, you're lost.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Build the lines.  Build the D and insert competent qb.  U can win that way.  Teams have fallen in love with top tier star war # qbs. 

I think knowing that he already had a franchise QB in Luck allowed Ballard to approach the draft and free agency in a certain way.  He didn't have to hit a home run with each draft pick and FA signing.  He knew Luck could cover up mistakes and win games while the players he chose could come into their own.  

I’m happy for both Luck and the Colts, as a fan I’m happy because we always had uncertainty for luck for so many years and while we will have a bit of uncertainty we at least know now for sure what direction we have to go as a team.

I think jacoby will do fine, he has a good chance to be a started for the colts for years and if not we look for that next guy. 

No reason to be bummed here, we have lots of great players and picks to work toward building a better team.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ReMeDy said:

Question: Let's say five years from now Luck wants to play football. Do we own his contract rights? I just don't want him jumping ship to another team.

Yes it literally freezes his contract. That’s why Farve, Lynch etc all had to get traded or released to come back. 

Meh...I hate that the main takeaway from what Irsay is saying is that he's leaving the possibility open for Luck to come back.

He said some good things about Luck, and of course Ballard and Reich did too, but Irsay really should've just not said the whole "it's possible he comes back eventually" stuff. It's time to move on with Brissett, at least for this year.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Build the lines.  Build the D and insert competent qb.  U can win that way.  Teams have fallen in love with top tier star war # qbs. 

Colts will eventually find a competent QB that is good enough for them to win and contend with.  Might take awhile but I have confidence in Ballard and our front office to navigate the franchise through this.  The team is better overall so it's not like they need the best of the best at QB.  Maybe we will eventually land a good-enough QB who doesn't turn the ball over so much.  We get to see how good Ballard really is now.  All that talk about it not being about one guy will be put to the test.  

It is what it is . We have to hope Jacoby takes it up a notch with better coaching.  In a way its devastating , but in a way its a relief. This spectre of Luck injuries,  where his head is at, etc. has been quite tiring.  I have no desire to watch this press conference at all . I really don't give a crap what the reason is.  He doesn't want to play or be part of this ,  so we have to trust in Ballard.  Might take a step back for a year or two , but I think he is the guy for the job.  If he really said he wants to stay in Indy and be a cheerleader , I think he is being a bit naive. This was the worst possible time to make this decision. Not good.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

So why not do this a month ago.

Retirement is tough.  How many of us work with people that come to work everyday that should retire? They put in minimal effort and complain every day. U can't do that in a game like football.  U r either all in or not.  I think it took its toll on Luck and this ankle injury just wasn't right.  I truly believe he wanted to play but woke up and said to his wife, I'm done. Can't blame just got to wish him luck.  He could have been one of the greats.  I cant think of another qb going thru what he has been thru over his career and still being able to  play at his level.

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

And I am with you, it is not like he isn't capable. He has a team. And the guys love him.  Now we back to being doubted, so lets have Jacoby go out there and show us why we will be paying him next year!

that's some serious blue koolaid you are drinking my man

2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Meh...I hate that the main takeaway from what Irsay is saying is that he's leaving the possibility open for Luck to come back.

He said some good things about Luck, and of course Ballard and Reich did too, but Irsay really should've just not said the whole "it's possible he comes back eventually" stuff. It's time to move on with Brissett, at least for this year.

Watch Luck decide to unretire in about 2 weeks. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Maybe he doesn't love the game as much as you want him to.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BobbyMorris94 said:

I gave my pessimist view, now here's one for the inner optimist. People always said he was the Jordan of football, well he could still come out of retirement if he gets his mind right like Jordan did. Especially if you see him at all the games active with the team still. Don't burn your bridges forever. People chill and have faith he changes his mind and gets healthy and regrets and comes back with a burning fire.

I wouldn't want him back.  He can't get/stay healthy.  He's completely checked out and I couldn't see him coming back anyway.  

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Family, ones health is way more important then your team mates and/ or co workers. 

Who said that team mates and/or co workers should be more important than health? However, when you make a decision to focus on one over the others, there are ways to make a much smoother exit that does not result in complete chaos. This wasn’t the way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stillen said:

People are on here acting like he isn't a human being because he gets paid millions of dollars.

The post game interview, he stated that over the past 4 years hes been dealing with pain during the season and throughout the offseason and continuously rehabbing.

I'm sure these same people can hardly get through a whole day with a headache, let alone 4 years of continual pain and rehabbing.

You act like you know this mans life and how he feels and everything should be okay because of money? Nah that ain't it. I'd bet that 99% of people that are in pain all the time would trade all the money in the world to be pain free.

That isn’t the issue. You do this before camp. Not two weeks before the season.

Just now, csmopar said:

Well, if he comes out later with a busted nose and a black eye, which would be justifiable, although not encouraged, we will know for sure how his teammates feel

Wow, that's just stupid. I bet that doesnt happen.

Dude is a class act and everyone on that team loves him.

If he were a different guy, maybe Ben Roethlisberger for example, it might be different. But hes not.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stillen said:

i keep thinking of someone i know that's been dealing with pain for years.  Been to so  many doctors tried so many therapies and it's just getting worse and worse. It's beaten her down mentally as well.  

Andrew took a beating here.  He says he has pain and had to take time to deal with it and let the team move forward. I believe him.  

None of us wanted this but, that's life.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

He doesn’t love it that much. Let’s be real...you love something you don’t quit in your prime. Going got tough Luck walked out. I see it all too often in life. Fortunate he is set money wise for life. But giving up can be a bad habit. Hope this doesn’t haunt him.

Let’s just start the next chapter of colts football. This has been toxic for some time now. Please quit talking about maybe he’ll come back, let’s just move on and enjoy the team we put on the field. Like Ballard said “ this isn’t 2017”. We’re not a team that relays on one player. Let’s just play it out. 

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Maybe he doesn't love the game as much as you want him to.  

He said tonight the injuries have taken away his love for the game.  He’s not the first player to have that happen to them, heck he’s not even the first Colt to have it happen too.  Pat McAfee walked away for pretty much the same reasons.

• Like 3