Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So, a pile of cap space now...

Archer

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

I would have to go find a actual source. I heard it on a podcast. I think it is pretty well know they have to spend 89% this year. That has been talked about on this board a ton.

Yeah, the 89% thing is established. But it's not this year it's for the 2017-2020 seasons, combined, and it's a cash spend requirement. That's not what I'm talking about, at all.

I'm talking about the team rolling forward unused 2019 cap space into 2020. There is no specific restriction on how much cap space a team can roll forward from one year to the next, so I'm asking where you got the idea that they can only roll forward $50m, because I'm pretty sure that's not correct.

11 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think they will see how Brissett plays first.  I get that they love him and I am higher on him than most but if he doesn’t work out as a starter no point in locking yourself in before you have too.  Yes there is a risk he could play really well and force you to pay more later but I am guessing the Colts will see what they have in him first but I could be wrong.

I'm not suggesting we give him a mega extension. But he's getting a $2m base salary right now. What would he say about a one year extension for $12m, with a $4m signing bonus? His 2019 income would triple, and we'd buy his 2020 free agency for $8m. 

I would at least start the discussions now.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not suggesting we give him a mega extension. But he's getting a $2m base salary right now. What would he say about a one year extension for $12m, with a $4m signing bonus? His 2019 income would triple, and we'd buy his 2020 free agency for $8m. 

I would at least start the discussions now.

Seems a sensible move.. you’ve got to ride the train for better or worse this year so might as well give you some option on YMT next. 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

They can only roll over 50m. They will lose the rest and it will be distributed to the players.

This is incorrect.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 8:17 AM, CheezyColt said:

Pretty sure he can't.  He's not eligible until the 2021 draft.  Next year is Herbert, Tua, and Fromm as the frontrunners for first round QBs.

Could you imagine if we went from Peyton to Luck to Lawrence though, with only 2-3 years of QB purgatory between them all? That would be insane.

you're correct, he would have to be out of high school for 3 years which would make the 2021 draft the year he could enter. So in that case, Colts need to stick with Brisset untel 2021 haha..... To be able to get Lawrence would make the Colts a one lucky franchise lol. and being drafted by a team who is a good QB away from being a Championship caliber team. I'm willing to sit around watching them play 9-7 ball for a season and then 4-12 ball the next year to draft him haha......

As far as 2020 draft crop of QB's goes, I like all three, but I think Tua and Herbertt will go 1 and 2 in the draft where I think Miami and Tampa will draft the two. and I think the race for Fromme will come down to who is higher up on the draft board between Oakland and Indy. I also wouldn't mind seeing the colts give up one of their 2nds or a 3rd rounder for Carr. I think with the colts O-line and the weapons that are on the offense Carr would thrive in Indy. But if they could give up just a 4th or 5th for him that would be fantastic lol 

I say draft one of those top QB's AND try to get a vet.  Russell Wilson will be a FA.  Does he want out of Seattle?  Maybe.  Will he be expensive?  Yes.  Will the Colts have plenty of money?  Yes.  Throw it out there.  He's only 30 and is pretty good.

I watched the Elite 11 (QB Competition with the top high school QB’s) a couple years ago.  It had Trevor Lawrence in it.  He was the projected favorite & played great.  But he finished second to a kid named Justin Fields who looked absolutely flawless throwing the ball.  Everyone there said it was one of the greatest performances in the history of the event (that has had players like Luck & most other top QB’s over the years).

Fields went to Georgia but Fromm was firmly established & never faltered & gave up the job.  Now he’s transferred to Ohio State.  We just saw Haskins put up 50 TD’s in that system.  I’m very interested in watching Fields this season.  He’s seen Trevor get to play as a freshman & win a Chip.  He should be hungry & motivated to do the same. If he can get settled in, I expect him to challenge Lawrence as the top QB in 2 years.

If JB ends up not being the answer, I’ll take either one of these 2 kids over Tua, Fromm, or Herbert.

6 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I watched the Elite 11 (QB Competition with the top high school QB’s) a couple years ago.  It had Trevor Lawrence in it.  He was the projected favorite & played great.  But he finished second to a kid named Justin Fields who looked absolutely flawless throwing the ball.  Everyone there said it was one of the greatest performances in the history of the event (that has had players like Luck & most other top QB’s over the years).

Fields went to Georgia but Fromm was firmly established & never faltered & gave up the job.  Now he’s transferred to Ohio State.  We just saw Haskins put up 50 TD’s in that system.  I’m very interested in watching Fields this season.  He’s seen Trevor get to play as a freshman & win a Chip.  He should be hungry & motivated to do the same. If he can get settled in, I expect him to challenge Lawrence as the top QB in 2 years.

If JB ends up not being the answer, I’ll take either one of these 2 kids over Tua, Fromm, or Herbert.

The problem is those two kids won’t be eligible for the draft this year so the Colts would have to wait two years to have a shot at either. 

6 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I'd prefer Herbert. No thanks on Tua or Fromm. I've seen Fromm a bunch on TV and in person and have never been to impressed. Good, but not someone I'd take in the 1st.

On 8/26/2019 at 2:08 AM, threeflight said:

Man I sure hope not.

He is average...at best.  I think below.

Nothing he has ever shown me has led to me to think otherwise.

Brissett  is above average.  Good pocket awareness.  Can throw on run. Has strong arm. Doesn't  throw many ints. We will see his true potential  this year with him getting the reps all offseason instead of learning  on the fly He reminds me of a younger Aaron Rodgers.

On 8/26/2019 at 12:28 AM, shastamasta said:

Sure would have been nice to have known this back in March...hindsight and all. Could have just signed Foles and still had a legit shot at having a great season IMO...or who knows what the draft would have looked like.

My hope is that Brissett is not plan A. I will gladly take some lumps this season to have a legit shot at hand-picking a franchise QB in the draft.

We might have a shot at Fromm.  But I think it’s unlikely we’re going to be bad enough to get a shot at either Tua or Herbert...not without spending a lot of draft capital, anyway.

And it’s likely that several teams (Dolphins, Bengals, Raiders maybe) are going to be doing everything they can to get either Tua or Herbert.

14 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I say draft one of those top QB's AND try to get a vet.  Russell Wilson will be a FA.  Does he want out of Seattle?  Maybe.  Will he be expensive?  Yes.  Will the Colts have plenty of money?  Yes.  Throw it out there.  He's only 30 and is pretty good.

Could you imagine...Wilson winning a Super Bowl with the Colts...when Luck didn't. Oh man.

14 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

RW re-signed and is under contract through 2023. He's the highest paid player in the NFL.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

We might have a shot at Fromm.  But I think it’s unlikely we’re going to be bad enough to get a shot at either Tua or Herbert...not without spending a lot of draft capital, anyway.

And it’s likely that several teams (Dolphins, Bengals, Raiders maybe) are going to be doing everything they can to get either Tua or Herbert.

My theory...Tua ends up in MIA...and Lawrence somehow ends up with the Raiders...just in time for the move to Vegas.

I would have put Herbert in SEA to replace Wilson...who was traded...but his contract extension basically ensures he is a Seahawks for a few years before trading him is viable...though I suppose he could always agree to rework his to facilitate a trade.

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

My theory...Tua ends up in MIA...and Lawrence somehow ends up with the Raiders...just in time for the move to Vegas.

I would have put Herbert in SEA to replace Wilson...who was traded...but his contract extension basically ensures he is a Seahawks for a few years before trading him is viable...though I suppose he could always agree to rework his to facilitate a trade.

Lawrence won’t be in next year’s draft.  That doesn’t mean he won’t eventually end up with the Raiders, of course.

The early view for 2020 is that Miami, Cincy, and the Raiders will be looking to draft QBs — the Top 3 being Tua, Herbert, and Fromm.  TB and Jax may be looking too, depending how things go with Winston and Foles this year.

But that’s all very dynamic, of course.

Point is:  if things don’t work out with Brissett and the other two, we aren’t going to be the only ones in the QB market.  And we may not be well positioned to get one of the top 3 in the 2020 draft.

• 2 weeks later...

Drew Brees is set to be a free agent next year. Draft a qb and let him sit s year behind Brees. Also Eli will be a free agent as well...both Manning’s win us a SB! Jameis Winston could be one as well. Who knows maybe Phillip Rivers brings his kids to Indy. I don’t see Brissett being the answer. Good enough to win us some games but not good enough to take this team to where it rightfully belongs. Funny when we had a qb we didn’t have the other pieces. Now we have the team but not the qb.

On 8/27/2019 at 10:20 PM, AZColt11 said:

My bad.  I was looking at Sporttrac and they apparently hadn't updated their system yet.  Wilson re-signed a long-term deal.

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2019 at 12:08 AM, Smoke317 said:

Ohio St QB’s are always massive projects in the NFL because the coaching does all their checks and calls for them. 

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

How is it here the team projects at 135-140 million in Cap Room?

overthecap.com has at:  2020 Team Cap Space: $64,685,422

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/indianapolis-colts/

Its less than that now, with JB extension.

However we still have $43m+ in cap space this year which will rollover to next year.

Lools like the cap space for 2020 is around $107m now

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/cap/2020/#

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2019 at 6:49 AM, Chucklez said:

You guys keep harping on about not seeing enough from Brissett to impress you, but C Kelly is the 2nd coming of T Brady... apparently?

but what has C Kelly actually shown us? He’s played well in preseason... but against no name shmucks who won’t be on nfl rosters or even practice squads, 3rd stringers and backups... if he is even a bad level starting QB you would expect as much.... He’s also shown us he is a knucklehead who was drafted last overall because of his character issues (a big deal for Ballard and co.) and has already been kicked off an nfl roster because of it.

Compared to what C Kelly has ACTUSLLY shown us, Brissett looks like the second coming of Jesus Christ himself. Brissett played behind a terrible o line (worse than some teams backups probably), with no defense or running game to speak of and still won 4 games... and we were in a lot more too. We could’ve easily finished .500 or higher in 2017 if the cards fell slightly differently. He was NOT the problem in 2017 and we didn’t lose any games because of him.

Jacoby is good, Kelly might be special.  I think people want to see us maintain elite level QB play, at least I do.  I think Jacoby will be fine, at the same time, I hope we keep Kelly and find some opportunities for him to prove it.  That's just me...

On 8/26/2019 at 12:46 AM, GoColts8818 said:

I think they will see how Brissett plays first.  I get that they love him and I am higher on him than most but if he doesn’t work out as a starter no point in locking yourself in before you have too.  Yes there is a risk he could play really well and force you to pay more later but I am guessing the Colts will see what they have in him first but I could be wrong.

I agree. If Brissett does well enough, we won't need to draft an early QB next year and use the money to extend JB and re-sign others.