Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Beckham traded to Browns [Merge]

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Peppers is a former 1st round pick.

So, Cleveland traded two 1's and a 3.

It doesn't matter where he was drafted.  That's not how teams analyze trades.  Would you trade away Russell Wilson (3rd round pick) for Blaine Gabbert (1st round pick)?  Doesn't matter where he was drafted.  His value is what he brings to the team

8 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Resign our own? Desir has played his way into a new contract and yet Ballard let’s him test the market. Ballard has said we’ll award players that earn a second contract. Too me Desir has earned a raise. Reward our own? Ok ty will be 30 on his next deal( don’t think he’ll command that much at that age). Leonard and Nelson still 4-5 years away. Hooker 3 years. Castonzo will cost a bit if Ballard wants him back. But other than that who else superstar status do we have to resign? Luck? Yea he’s got two years left. I don’t see what’s wrong with handing out a four year deal and front loading it so the last two years are manageable. 

Why you say Desire? He was a Free agent.  Not a Colts pick.  Kelly, Heag,  can be extended now.  Hooker, Wilson, Mack, Hairston and Walker next year.  Some of those aren't huge stars right now, but they've shown to be good enough players to keep.  And depending on the play, sometimes it takes 3 years to get into your groove.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

It doesn't matter where he was drafted.  That's not how teams analyze trades.  Would you trade away Russell Wilson (3rd round pick) for Blaine Gabbert (1st round pick)?  Doesn't matter where he was drafted.  His value is what he brings to the team

I understand that...   but let’s not ptetend Peppers has no value.   He does.  That’s why the Giants wanted him in the deal.  He’s not a throw in...

3 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Dang it....had a long post going, it merged, and I lost it all. Oh well, I'll live. 

Ah!  I'm sorry!!

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I understand that...   but let’s not ptetend Peppers has no value.   He does.  That’s why the Giants wanted him in the deal.  He’s not a throw in...

Not claiming he has no value.  He's a good player, but I dunno if you'd consider him equivalent to a first round pick

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ColtV said:

Exactly.

I lived in NYC for years, and this isn't going to read well with the fan base.

I agree. Giants fans will not take this news well. I have not listened to NY sports radio for nearly 2 months. I'm going to listen tonight. 

It seems that Gettleman is trading away all the stars that the previous GM acquired (OBJ, Vernon, Collins, more). If I were the Colts or Vikings GMs, I would be on the phone with the Giants trying to trade for Evan Engram who is a TE but like a WR. 

• Like 1

• 21isSuperman changed the title to Beckham traded to Browns [Merge]

Anyone who is dissing the Browns right now is kidding themselves. This was a bold, amazing move to get one of the premier players in the NFL. The Browns had the draft assets and played them beautifully. Amazing what a well run team can do vs the train wreck they were under the former management. 

The Giants are now in position to get the top WR in the draft; there are a few decent FA Wide Receivers still in play for them; and they could still nab their QB of the future with their other first round pick. Both sides win. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Anyone who is dissing the Browns right now is kidding themselves. This was a bold, amazing move to get one of the premier players in the NFL. The Browns had the draft assets and played them beautifully. Amazing what a well run team can do vs the train wreck they were under the former management. 

The Giants are now in position to get the top WR in the draft; there are a few decent FA Wide Receivers still in play for them; and they could still nab their QB of the future with their other first round pick. Both sides win. 

I was concerned about the Browns becoming really tough to beat as they were ending the season last year. Add in what they’ve done this year and they will be a very strong contender on paper but they have to all mesh as a team or it will fall flat. There too could be a sophomore slump in the QB play as well. More time and tape for defenses to game plan for tendencies they didn’t pick up on last year. No doubt that team is loaded though. So was KC and they sat out the super bowl just like we did last year. This offseason has been crazy. 

7 minutes ago, Hoose said:

It's a good attempt by the Browns, they needed a #1WR more than they needed the 17th pick in the draft.  Personally, I think it will backfire for two reasons.  1:) OBJ has played a full season 1 time in 5 years.  Two, he thinks the ball should be thrown to him every play.  That's not a bad attitude for a receiver to have but his tantrums and hissy fits when it does not happen will lead to another "injury" and then will lead to him being let go before his contract expires.

But he's an amazing talent and he will play like gang busters the first 8 games of the season.

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Why sign him last year and trade him this year?

He was just as crazy then as he is now.

That was a great signing for the Giants. Had they lost OBJ to free agency, the most they could get is a 3rd round comp pick. In this trade, the Giants get a 1st, 3rd and a former first round draft pick in Jabrill Peppers. This worked out well for the GM.

The fans are not happy. This guy was a special talent. I would not trade for him on my team but if he was on my team, I probably would not be happy losing him. 

43 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Yes it was a bold move. I imagine the people who are dissing the Browns also can't acknowledge that Baker had a better rookie statistically than Luck. CLE is a very much a dangerous team now.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Hooker is untouchable. 2nd best defensive player Colts have.

Our D is devoid of playmakers, so I'm not sure thats saying much. Lol

But back to OBJ, he may be the biggest playmaker in the league, despite his antics. And totally changes the dynamics of the offense, much more so than a safety.

43 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

But back to OBJ, he may be the biggest playmaker in the league, despite his antics. And totally changes the dynamics of the offense, much more so than a safety.

That is a little harsh. If you don’t think Kenny Moore is a play maker then I don’t know what to tell you. 

5 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Give the Browns credit

OBJ is very erratic.

He could be on the DL list or on the all-NFL team.

They're taking the gamble..at a fairly high price

I wonder how Odell will like Cleveland

Odell is back playing alongside former teammate Landry. I'm sure hes pretty happy.

I wanted one of either Bell, Brown, or OBJ.  Oh well.

Looks like Ballard was true to his word: this Colts locker room isn't mature enough yet to handle a big personality.

I trust in Ballard. Hidden gems are out there. If he hits on draft and value FAs, we will have forgotten about these big name come opening day kick-off

9 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Hooker isn't a playmaker? That's a first.

I think this was a great trade for the Giants.  They just got some serious draft capital, got rid of a locker room cancer, and cleared a bunch of money off their books.

Here is the thing.  OBJ is a great receiver.  But the Giants are in rebuild now.  You don't need a great receiver on a re-building team.  Ballard's strategy of start inside and go out makes sense for the rebuild.  

Trading OBJ netted them some serious draft capital to help with their rebuild.  

Actually I think the Browns kind of made a mistake here.  No question they are better but getting an elite highly paid receiver makes sense as the final cherry on top to help a contending team over the top.  Baker Mayfield did well his rookie year, and the Browns are certainly a better team.  But it's not IMO a sure thing that the Browns are legit contenders.  

They didn't even make the playoffs last year and they are going all in on winning a SB soon.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

What's the over/under on OBJ and Hunt finding trouble somewhere in Cleveland and getting arrested in their first year as Browns?

They're both on my dynasty team (along with Brown and Fournette), so I'm guessing they will be suspended/injured before the start of the regular season.