Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts extend RG Mark Glowinski [Merge]

TomDiggs

I am dying to see the numbers

Based on projections, good offensive linemen this off-season can expect $8M-$10M a year annually if they are solid.

Bobby Massie just got $8M a year.

There are suggestions that Juwan James could command $9M a year or more.

And yes they are OTs, but the gap between a good OT and a good OG has narrowed in recent years.

If Ryan Jensen is a $10.5M a year guy, then I will be curious to see what Glow signed for.

He played easily as a top-20 OG, so anything in the $8.0- $8.5M a year range or less would be a good deal.

• Like 1

Great move. Was an absolute no brainer to get him back.

1 minute ago, TomDiggs said:

I am dying to see the numbers

Based on projections, good offensive linemen this off-season can expect $8M-$10M a year annually if they are solid.

Bobby Massie just got $8M a year.

There are suggestions that Juwan James could command $9M a year or more.

And yes they are OTs, but the gap between a good OT and a good OG has narrowed in recent years.

If Ryan Jensen is a $10.5M a year guy, then I will be curious to see what Glow signed for.

He played easily as a top-20 OG, so anything in the $8.0- $8.5M a year range or less would be a good deal.

3 years $18M.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And there you have it. 

Braden Smith stays at RT and the Colts will look at other positions as priorities in FA and the draft.

I'm not 100% sure Smith is our starting RT.  In his recent interviews Ballard still seemed unconvinced that he was a RT.  The money Glowinski received seemed like what you would pay a quality backup like Reitz.  I still have a feeling we might be looking for another RT maybe in FA.    

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I'm not 100% sure Smith is our starting RT.  In his recent interviews Ballard still seemed unconvinced that he was a RT.  The money Glowinski received seemed like what you would pay a quality backup like Reitz.  I still have a feeling we might be looking for another RT maybe in FA.    

Sometimes I wonder what world you live in. What team is paying backup OL $6m/year? Especially interior OL? 

We signed Slauson to be guard competition last year, a potential veteran starter. He got $2.5m. Glowinski will be the 26th highest paid veteran guard in the NFL; that's firmly starter territory.

And this move pretty much cements Smith as the projected RT. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

At first Ballard wasn't convinced, but hes come out and said he was wrong. As for Glow, that is not backup money. Backups make league min or close to it.  

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Smith only gets better in 2019. Yep, he had a bad game in the playoffs, but played well against Watt earlier in the season. 

Ballard will certainly add depth to the OL, but I think the starting five are already there.

18 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And there you have it. 

Braden Smith stays at RT and the Colts will look at other positions as priorities in FA and the draft.

It's probably the smart/neccessary thing to do. I'd prefer him as good depth not a starter. I wpuld prefer a upgrade at RT and move Smithy at RG. Venturi also said that but he also said a T is more expensive than a G.

I think we can use a good C to backup often injured Kelley and also depth at G.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Sometimes I wonder what world you live in. What team is paying backup OL $6m/year? Especially interior OL? 

We signed Slauson to be guard competition last year, a potential veteran starter. He got $2.5m. Glowinski will be the 26th highest paid veteran guard in the NFL; that's firmly starter territory.

That would be one way to use the cap up without improving the team much I guess ? From that Ballard interview , it appears they like Smith a lot at RT. However IMO it doesn't rule out using a second day pick on a tackle. 

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Yeah, pretty much none of that is correct.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, dw49 said:

That would be one way to use the cap up without improving the team much I guess ? From that Ballard interview , it appears they like Smith a lot at RT. However IMO it doesn't rule out using a second day pick on a tackle. 

If they used a second day pick on a T, this forum will riot. We need depth not a new starter. Talent is not the only thing a oline needs, it also needs cohesion and you only get that by playing together for a long time. This will be the first time in Luck's career he will have the same 5 linemen, barring any injuries, to start from the prior year and I would rather not mess that up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

It doesn't rule out anything in the draft. You can draft a LT prospect who can compete at RT, for instance. But this projects Glowinski as the starting RG, and pencils Smith in at RT.

• Like 3

WOW! I guess Ballard really does believe in Glowinski. Good for him, he had a good season. I guess it also show trust in Smith as a RT. Our starting O-line is set for next year. I still think we need reinforcements but oh well... we will wait and see what happens. 

• Like 2

Woohoo!  we’re keeping the band together, and kind of a bargain.  I’d try to keep Desir before FA, then I’m so on the fence on Geathers.  He’s the only leader in the secondary, but his injury past is very poor.  I’d like to bring him back, most likely on a one-year prove-it, due to health.  But that certainly means letting him test FA...

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

If they used a second day pick on a T, this forum will riot. We need depth not a new starter. Talent is not the only thing a oline needs, it also needs cohesion and you only get that by playing together for a long time. This will be the first time in Luck's career he will have the same 5 linemen barring any injuries, to start from the prior year and I would rather not mess that up. 

I think the bolded only applies to the clueless.

It is perfectly reasonable to use a draft pick early in 2019 that may not see the field much until 2020.  Castonzo is a FA after this season and will be 31 at the start of next season.  If they find a tackle they think could fill in on occasion in 19 and then take over in 2020, that is not a bad plan at all.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I think the bolded only applies to the clueless.

It is perfectly reasonable to use a draft pick early in 2019 that may not see the field much until 2020.  Castonzo is a FA after this season and will be 31 at the start of next season.  If they find a tackle they think could fill in on occasion in 19 and then take over in 2020, that is not a bad plan at all.

You want to use a early pick on a player that won't play for a few years and be nothing, but depth? AC still has a good 4 years. We can look for his replacement in a couple of years, for now we need to deal with our more pressing needs like the interior and exterior pass rush and getting more weapons for our offense.