Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts extend RG Mark Glowinski [Merge]

TomDiggs

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If I remember correctly the reason Ballard explained for taking Smith last year was he was the only remaining OL on their board with a 1st. rd grade that could start.  I expect he will follow that same approach this year and that might take DL off the board with the 1st. pick if they don't have him graded as a starter.  Especially with the expected run on DL.  I think he will be looking for starters in positions of need with the 1st couple of picks.  JMO.

That turns the situation around, like he benefited from Smith falling.

He actually said that "there was a run on Gs, and Smith was the last starting caliber G still on the board"  Meaning he actually had him valued lower in the second round than where he took him.

That means Ballard "reached for need".   

He may do that again this year for the dline trench-build.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He actually said that "there was a run on Gs, and Smith was the last starting caliber G still on the board"  Meaning he actually had him valued lower in the second round than where he took him.

Maybe in the 2nd. rd.  I would hope he wouldn't reach in the 1st.

38 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Maybe in the 2nd. rd.  I would hope he wouldn't reach in the 1st.

I'm not one of those who say that you don't draft for need.  I think if a player is a good player, its okay to look at a player who may not be exactly BPA but upgrades a roster spot immediately.

I took Ballard's comments as, because there was a run on Gs and Smith was the last one available, that Smith wouldn't be there at our pick 49.  So he took him at 37.  

I don't see where that is a problem at all, and why we couldn't do the same thing at 26, figuring the last "good" Dlineman won't be there at 34.

What made it okay is that Smith is in fact a starting caliber G.  And hopefully the Dlineman taken at 26 (assumption) is a "good" Dlineman.

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm not one of those who say that you don't draft for need.  I think if a player is a good player, its okay to look at a player who may not be exactly BPA but upgrades a roster spot immediately.

I took Ballard's comments as, because there was a run on Gs and Smith was the last one available, that Smith wouldn't be there at our pick 49.  So he took him at 37.  

I don't see where that is a problem at all, and why we couldn't do the same thing at 26, figuring the last "good" Dlineman won't be there at 34.

What made it okay is that Smith is in fact a starting caliber G.  And hopefully the Dlineman taken at 26 (assumption) is a "good" Dlineman.

Yeah Smith was definitely a situation where he wanted to make sure he got a guy on his board. I think Turay and Lewis were also picks in a specific effort to address DL.

What I think might happen is we see some movement from that #26 pick...either a trade up (for a very special player that falls) or a trade down to get another pick and give him some versatility in the 2nd round.

I don't think he will trade out of the 1st round entirely, unless it's just too good of a deal (because he values that 5th year option).

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

If they used a second day pick on a T, this forum will riot. We need depth not a new starter. Talent is not the only thing a oline needs, it also needs cohesion and you only get that by playing together for a long time. This will be the first time in Luck's career he will have the same 5 linemen, barring any injuries, to start from the prior year and I would rather not mess that up. 

So Glow and Smith became starters how far into the season?
And we soon had one of the best lines going.
 Of course they should get better with more experience together, but you have just been shown that talent, brains, and good coaching show you are overstating.
 If our GM, who will actually have a Clue about our needs going forward over the next few years thinks he needs to draft a tackle in the 3rd round, why would anyone here think they new better? It is laughable. Get a grip.
 And please tell us how AC's body is holding up, how much longer he wants to play, how much longer our staff thinks can play at a high enough level, how our budget for our OL looks 2,3,4 years out.
 The Steelers as an example, have always had a good running game. It is so simple a caveman knows this. They draft prior to an immediate need so they can develop the next replacement. NFL 101.
We have no idea what is coming this off season, but don't bet against your GM being 4 steps ahead of You.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

So Glow and Smith became starters how far into the season?
And we soon had one of the best lines going.
 Of course they should get better with more experience together, but you have just been shown that talent, brains, and good coaching show you are overstating.
 If our GM, who will actually have a Clue about our needs going forward over the next few years thinks he needs to draft a tackle in the 3rd round, why would anyone here think they new better? It is laughable. Get a grip.
 And please tell us how AC's body is holding up, how much longer he wants to play, how much longer our staff thinks can play at a high enough level, how our budget for our OL looks 2,3,4 years out.
 The Steelers as an example, have always had a good running game. It is so simple a caveman knows this. They draft prior to an immediate need so they can develop the next replacement. NFL 101.
We have no idea what is coming this off season, but don't bet against your GM being 4 steps ahead of You.

Ive repeated myself a dozen times already in this thread. Go back and read.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Ballard said it's put up or shut up time for Clark so I'm expecting we will be making changes there.  Either in the draft or through FA.

All purely hypotheticals, but deeper than some are thinking it seems.

We all can think of positions needing strengthened with our first 3 picks.
 But CB will bleed a little to make sure about his OL.
 So to your point, does he invest in a T they like to be our future swing T/backup/possible future starter with pick 59 or 90 to develop now, or give Clark another year and maybe he just let's him go after next season, if he makes the 53 at all, and very possibly lose Haeg in FA? 

I know i am very uncomfortable thinking about Haeg starting at LT under any circumstance. Oh well. Have a happy, healthy off season AC.  :thmup:

Let me add my kudos to the Colts for resigning Glowinski. He earned it and they are keeping a good thing going. This won't stop them from adding more quality depth in the draft, IMO. But I doubt they look for a player before the middle rounds. Signing Glow gives them that luxury. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CR91 said:

And thats fine. I'm not saying we don't need to find ACs replacement or add line depth. I just think there are better options for us in the first three rounds that can better solidify our chances of being super bowl contenders. I just don't think getting a T for depth purposes helps us right now.  

Imo , you're view of how the draft should be used is not a good "model " for success. If a good tackle is available on day 2 and that player is easily the top player on Ballard's board , you take him. Drafting to fit need in the 50 some years I've watched the draft really increases the "dud" probability. 

Furthermore , why wouldn't you want to draft Castonzo's possible replacement if that player appears to be a steal with your pick at near the bottom of round 2 or round 3. Castonzo will be 31 years old and in his contract year in 2019. Suppose he demands a top contract in 2020. Wouldn't it be great if we had a option that was already under contract ? 

You mentioned the board would be up in arms if Ballard used a 2nd day pick on an OL. No disrespect intended but I doubt he cares if this board didn't agree with his pick. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Yeah if the circumstances push Glowinski to the bench, so be it. But they didn't sign him at $6m/year to be a backup.

Of coarse not. In fact if it's a 3 year deal with a 4.5 mill signing bonus , there's a possibility that his base in year 3 could be say .. 5 mill. If he at that point is a back up , he might be in a position where he could be cut. That of coarse would depend on what our roster looked like. 

Point is as you say , he's being paid to start ... which IMO opinion means we will not sign a starter type guard or tackle in the FA period. The draft as I've stated is a different animal.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I'm not 100% sure Smith is our starting RT.  In his recent interviews Ballard still seemed unconvinced that he was a RT.  The money Glowinski received seemed like what you would pay a quality backup like Reitz.  I still have a feeling we might be looking for another RT maybe in FA.    

Thats not what Ballard said, Ballard was referring to Smith being drafted as a guard, but scout, and coach saying he could be a tackle. Smith was outstanding at tackle! I would be SHOCKED if he moves based on how he played there at tackle! Glowinski will start at guard, and Haig his the backup, Swiss army knife.

40 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Imo , you're view of how the draft should be used is not a good "model " for success. If a good tackle is available on day 2 and that player is easily the top player on Ballard's board , you take him. Drafting to fit need in the 50 some years I've watched the draft really increases the "dud" probability. 

Furthermore , why wouldn't you want to draft Castonzo's possible replacement if that player appears to be a steal with your pick at near the bottom of round 2 or round 3. Castonzo will be 31 years old and in his contract year in 2019. Suppose he demands a top contract in 2020. Wouldn't it be great if we had a option that was already under contract ? 

You mentioned the board would be up in arms if Ballard used a 2nd day pick on an OL. No disrespect intended but I doubt he cares if this board didn't agree with his pick. 

As I will say for the billionth time, If a top line prospect drops to our lap, I have no problem taking them.

8 hours ago, CR91 said:

If they used a second day pick on a T, this forum will riot. We need depth not a new starter. Talent is not the only thing a oline needs, it also needs cohesion and you only get that by playing together for a long time. This will be the first time in Luck's career he will have the same 5 linemen, barring any injuries, to start from the prior year and I would rather not mess that up. 

WHO?    CARES?!?

Do you think Chris Ballard cares?     Here's a hint!     The answer is NO!!

Ballard and his team have a view.    And their view does not care one bit about what the fans think.   Why you do is beyond anyone's comprehension.    

Why?    Do?     You?    Care?  

Trust Ballard to do what he thinks is right.     Hasn't he earned your trust?    Everyone's trust?

He's going to make mistakes.    Even he says so.    Everyone in football does.    The idea is to keep them to a minimum and hopefully not make too many on the bigger decsions.

Fans don't know more than the GM.   Even a bad GM.    And they certainly don't know more than Chris Ballard who is clearly a very good GM.

I meant to post this before the signing, but life keeps getting in the way.....

This is an important and clear signal to the entire team.    If you play hard and buy into the program,  the Colts WILL reward you.    You won't have to leave to get your big money contract.   You can stay and get good money here in Indy.

That's an important message.    Otherwise, if they nickled and dimed Glow,  the message is go elsewhere to make your money.    And for a program that is built on accountability, character, trust and selfless behavior,  to lose important players over small amounts of money would be a disaster.

Props to Ballard for getting this signing done EARLY.     The Colts are OPEN for business!

:colts:

• Like 7

I'm not sure how cb got glowinsky at that price but it is good value for a player who had one good year. 

It's almost as if glow was agreeing with cb that he wouldn't ask for more because he knew he hasn't established a long enough resume yet.  Whatever, a great signing. 

7 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Those DL that are so good are the ones going top 15, only because there is nothing else good coming out in this draft. There are maybe 2 QBs that will be drafted in the first round, but neither are first round quality, let alone the top 10 in which they will be drafted. Our first pick will not be DL, based solely on the fact that 8 DL will go top 15, leaving good quality players at other positions available. 

I might be tempted to take "the over" on that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

As I will say for the billionth time, If a top line prospect drops to our lap, I have no problem taking them.

A billion is a lot. 

Truth is you are all over the board with this. If you want me to copy and past the 4-5 responses you made , just let me know.  In the meantime insinuating that I'm a hard head is ehh... whatever. Not worth anymore posts.

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

I don't think that is necessarily true.  It could also mean he had multiple players rated similarly in the same "basket" at the 36/37 picks, but the basket only contained one guard(or only one guard that was in that basket remained) so he chose the guard, but didn't reach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

WHO?    CARES?!?

Do you think Chris Ballard cares?     Here's a hint!     The answer is NO!!

Ballard and his team have a view.    And their view does not care one bit about what the fans think.   Why you do is beyond anyone's comprehension.    

Why?    Do?     You?    Care?  

Trust Ballard to do what he thinks is right.     Hasn't he earned your trust?    Everyone's trust?

He's going to make mistakes.    Even he says so.    Everyone in football does.    The idea is to keep them to a minimum and hopefully not make too many on the bigger decsions.

Fans don't know more than the GM.   Even a bad GM.    And they certainly don't know more than Chris Ballard who is clearly a very good GM.

Jesus christ. Im done repeating myself

30 minutes ago, cbear said:

I'm not sure how cb got glowinsky at that price but it is good value for a player who had one good year. 

It's almost as if glow was agreeing with cb that he wouldn't ask for more because he knew he hasn't established a long enough resume yet.  Whatever, a great signing. 

I agree . I figured he would command around 7.5 per year considering the contract (10 mill per year with 22 guaranteed) Jensen signed last year. 

15 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I agree . I figured he would command around 7.5 per year considering the contract (10 mill per year with 22 guaranteed) Jensen signed last year. 

I'm assuming Glow signed close to what his agent was realistically telling him his market value is.  Some on here have said Glow's performance may not have been as great or consistent as some others think.   Having said that, it only takes one GM to out price the market and over pay.

I'm saying that Glow likely hit is real market value, instead of the market value being $8M per year and somehow CB got him to sign for a lot less.

24 minutes ago, esmort said:

I don't think that is necessarily true.  It could also mean he had multiple players rated similarly in the same "basket" at the 36/37 picks, but the basket only contained one guard(or only one guard that was in that basket remained) so he chose the guard, but didn't reach.

If that was true, I think CB would have worded what he said differently. 

9 hours ago, stitches said:

BTW worth pointing out that Glowinski was a SPARQ superstar coming into the league. It's reasonable to expect that there is still untapped potential in him. He was coached by Tom Cable who must be the worst coach who still has a job and reputation in the league and the first chance Glowinski got outside of Cable's tutelage he immediately turned into a solid starter for us. He might still improve over what was a good season. 

We saw Kelley starting to hit his potential this season. We obviously know what Nelson brings to the table, and it's incredible to think he could (and should) improve by leaps and bounds. Smith obviously has a lot of potential as well. Glowinski will only grow and this offensive line put the league on notice this year. While they had a disappointing end to the season against KC, that was the exception to the rule this season. I look forward to watching this unit beat teams before they even get on the field in the upcoming years. I wouldn't want to go up against them. At all. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I meant to post this before the signing, but life keeps getting in the way.....

This is an important and clear signal to the entire team.    If you play hard and buy into the program,  the Colts WILL reward you.    You won't have to leave to get your big money contract.   You can stay and get good money here in Indy.

That's an important message.    Otherwise, if they nickled and dimed Glow,  the message is go elsewhere to make your money.    And for a program that is built on accountability, character, trust and selfless behavior,  to lose important players over small amounts of money would be a disaster.

Props to Ballard for getting this signing done EARLY.     The Colts are OPEN for business!

:colts:

I almost posted something like this earlier and could not agree more! Spot on!

There was an influx of Colts players posting about Glow getting his deal and how happy they were for him. Guys like Kenny Moore (who himself will earn a big pay day if he plays next year as well as he did this year).

This is the right message to send. It is a good message for our guys internally they we will take care of our own. And it is a good message for outside free agents that if you come here and ball out you can and will be rewarded (particularly applicable to guys that come on short term contracts of those "prove it" contracts).

Definitely building the right culture with this move and practicing what he preaches.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm assuming Glow signed close to what his agent was realistically telling him his market value is.  Some on here have said Glow's performance may not have been as great or consistent as some others think.   Having said that, it only takes one GM to out price the market and over pay.

I'm saying that Glow likely hit is real market value, instead of the market value being $8M per year and somehow CB got him to sign for a lot less.

Of coarse that is the case. There is zero chance that CB worked a miracle and made Glow happy getting 6 per with 4.5 signing bonus when he was worth 8 per year. I was just saying that the 6 per year made me happy as I expected his worth to be higher. There is always those few that set their numbers too high and end up taking a rotten deal after the draft. So IMO this is why guys like him sign deals like this before the FA period begins. 

That said , I think if he did decide to test the waters , he probably could have done a little better . But if he (his agent) screwed up in free agency , the loss could have been large. So takes 6 maybe leaving a little on the table and he's secure with a team he likes and did well with ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Jesus christ. Im done repeating myself

Maybe you should consider that if you're repeating yourself to poster after poster after poster that perhaps you're doing a poor job of explaining your position?

At some point,  it might just be a YOU thing and not a THEM thing.

Just saying....

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe you should consider that if you're repeating yourself to poster after poster after poster that perhaps you're doing a poor job of explaining your position?

At some point,  it might just be a YOU thing and not a THEM thing.

Just saying....

No. Posters are just not reading past my first comment and not seeing the other 100 comments ive made

13 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Yeah...I think people need to accept that WR might just be the play, considering where they are drafting.

Something tells me that they probably won't be drafting at #26. I sense either an agressive move up if someone slips or a trade back to try to have get some more draft assets.

We're straying a bit off topic (My fault), but I think we should definitely nab one of those safeties honestly, or even Corner if the DEs/rush LBs available aren't as highly rated. Since DBs and DEs feed off of each other, either will work.

6 hours ago, esmort said:

I might be tempted to take "the over" on that.

ok, I'd give you three and that's a risky three. Giants, Jags, and Broncos are in the market for a QB.  If one of those signs a QB or trades for one (Like Jacoby) then you may only see two get drafted. Duke's QB may not make it into the first round, Patriots might go for him though.  But none of them are worthy of a top 10 pick by skill, only by supply and demand.

26 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

ok, I'd give you three and that's a risky three. Giants, Jags, and Broncos are in the market for a QB.  If one of those signs a QB or trades for one (Like Jacoby) then you may only see two get drafted. Duke's QB may not make it into the first round, Patriots might go for him though.  But none of them are worthy of a top 10 pick by skill, only by supply and demand.

I agree this QB class doesn't appear to be great, but teams chase qbs every year. I think Haskins and Lock both go early 1st, and then one or both of Jones & Murray will go by the end of the 1st to a QB needy team/s wanting that 5th yr option. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

His play shows it wasn't a reach

His play has nothing to do with what the thinking was at the time.  

At the time, he was the "last available starting caliber G (not RT)".   CB didn't say that Smith was BPA, or one of the BPA's, on their board. 

And my use of the word reach in the first place (that I mitigated later in the post) was to context the statement that Smith was (considered by Ballard) a 1st round talent that was still available.  No he wasn't.  He was considered a reach more than he was considered a value pick.

8 hours ago, dw49 said:

Of coarse that is the case. There is zero chance that CB worked a miracle and made Glow happy getting 6 per with 4.5 signing bonus when he was worth 8 per year. I was just saying that the 6 per year made me happy as I expected his worth to be higher. There is always those few that set their numbers too high and end up taking a rotten deal after the draft. So IMO this is why guys like him sign deals like this before the FA period begins. 

That said , I think if he did decide to test the waters , he probably could have done a little better . But if he (his agent) screwed up in free agency , the loss could have been large. So takes 6 maybe leaving a little on the table and he's secure with a team he likes and did well with ?

Yeah, if his agent properly evaluated the market and was honest with Glow, he may have advised him that he could wait until FA and then see if any one or two teams will bid higher.

Also, given that CB didn't overpay for the Gs last year, Glow probably figured the Colts were not going to be one of the teams getting into a bidding war during the FA period.

It seems to have all worked out for the best.  Unless you're a fan who thinks the right side of the OL should be upgraded this offseason.