Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TomDiggs

Colts extend RG Mark Glowinski [Merge]

Recommended Posts

 
An absolute no-brainer with the amount of cap room we have.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Initial contract details:

 

 
Update: Ian Rapoport also reported that it includes a $4.2 million signing bonus.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am dying to see the numbers

 

Based on projections, good offensive linemen this off-season can expect $8M-$10M a year annually if they are solid.

 

Bobby Massie just got $8M a year.

 

There are suggestions that Juwan James could command $9M a year or more.

 

And yes they are OTs, but the gap between a good OT and a good OG has narrowed in recent years.

 

If Ryan Jensen is a $10.5M a year guy, then I will be curious to see what Glow signed for.

 

He played easily as a top-20 OG, so anything in the $8.0- $8.5M a year range or less would be a good deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great move. Was an absolute no brainer to get him back.

 

1 minute ago, TomDiggs said:

I am dying to see the numbers

 

Based on projections, good offensive linemen this off-season can expect $8M-$10M a year annually if they are solid.

 

Bobby Massie just got $8M a year.

 

There are suggestions that Juwan James could command $9M a year or more.

 

And yes they are OTs, but the gap between a good OT and a good OG has narrowed in recent years.

 

If Ryan Jensen is a $10.5M a year guy, then I will be curious to see what Glow signed for.

 

He played easily as a top-20 OG, so anything in the $8.0- $8.5M a year range or less would be a good deal.

 

3 years $18M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And there you have it. 

 

Braden Smith stays at RT and the Colts will look at other positions as priorities in FA and the draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pgt_rob said:

Great move. Was an absolute no brainer to get him back.

 

3 years $18M.

Thanks man

 

If so, that is actually one heck of a value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TomDiggs said:

Thanks man

 

If so, that is actually one heck of a value.

 

Yes we did for sure. Steal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not gonna lie, I am surprised we got to keep him for such a small investment.

 

The latest says not only just 3 years and $18M but that only $4.2M in a signing bonus.

 

Crazy good value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s a good deal. He played well but I also don’t think he was worth 8-10 million per year. This is a win for both sides. Looks like the OL is set. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's about what I thought he would get. Good for him.

 

Hopefully he still has some upside to him and can play consistently throughout the season. And we're still waiting on an OL coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And there you have it. 

 

Braden Smith stays at RT and the Colts will look at other positions as priorities in FA and the draft.

I'm not 100% sure Smith is our starting RT.  In his recent interviews Ballard still seemed unconvinced that he was a RT.  The money Glowinski received seemed like what you would pay a quality backup like Reitz.  I still have a feeling we might be looking for another RT maybe in FA.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I said 5 year 30 mil so I got the amount right, but the length wrong haha 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I'm not 100% sure Smith is our starting RT.  In his recent interviews Ballard still seemed unconvinced that he was a RT.  The money Glowinski received seemed like what you would pay a quality backup like Reitz.  I still have a feeling we might be looking for another RT maybe in FA.    

 

Sometimes I wonder what world you live in. What team is paying backup OL $6m/year? Especially interior OL? 

 

We signed Slauson to be guard competition last year, a potential veteran starter. He got $2.5m. Glowinski will be the 26th highest paid veteran guard in the NFL; that's firmly starter territory.

 

And this move pretty much cements Smith as the projected RT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I'm not 100% sure Smith is our starting RT.  In his recent interviews Ballard still seemed unconvinced that he was a RT.  The money Glowinski received seemed like what you would pay a quality backup like Reitz.  I still have a feeling we might be looking for another RT maybe in FA.    

 

At first Ballard wasn't convinced, but hes come out and said he was wrong. As for Glow, that is not backup money. Backups make league min or close to it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I'm not 100% sure Smith is our starting RT.  In his recent interviews Ballard still seemed unconvinced that he was a RT.  The money Glowinski received seemed like what you would pay a quality backup like Reitz.  I still have a feeling we might be looking for another RT maybe in FA.    

 

Smith only gets better in 2019. Yep, he had a bad game in the playoffs, but played well against Watt earlier in the season. 

 

Ballard will certainly add depth to the OL, but I think the starting five are already there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And there you have it. 

 

Braden Smith stays at RT and the Colts will look at other positions as priorities in FA and the draft.

 

It's probably the smart/neccessary thing to do. I'd prefer him as good depth not a starter. I wpuld prefer a upgrade at RT and move Smithy at RG. Venturi also said that but he also said a T is more expensive than a G.

I think we can use a good C to backup often injured Kelley and also depth at G.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Superman said:

 

Sometimes I wonder what world you live in. What team is paying backup OL $6m/year? Especially interior OL? 

 

We signed Slauson to be guard competition last year, a potential veteran starter. He got $2.5m. Glowinski will be the 26th highest paid veteran guard in the NFL; that's firmly starter territory.

 

 

That would be one way to use the cap up without improving the team much I guess ? From that Ballard interview , it appears they like Smith a lot at RT. However IMO it doesn't rule out using a second day pick on a tackle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I'm not 100% sure Smith is our starting RT.  In his recent interviews Ballard still seemed unconvinced that he was a RT.  The money Glowinski received seemed like what you would pay a quality backup like Reitz.  I still have a feeling we might be looking for another RT maybe in FA.    

 

Yeah, pretty much none of that is correct.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dw49 said:

 

 

That would be one way to use the cap up without improving the team much I guess ? From that Ballard interview , it appears they like Smith a lot at RT. However IMO it doesn't rule out using a second day pick on a tackle. 

 

If they used a second day pick on a T, this forum will riot. We need depth not a new starter. Talent is not the only thing a oline needs, it also needs cohesion and you only get that by playing together for a long time. This will be the first time in Luck's career he will have the same 5 linemen, barring any injuries, to start from the prior year and I would rather not mess that up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

 

 

That would be one way to use the cap up without improving the team much I guess ? From that Ballard interview , it appears they like Smith a lot at RT. However IMO it doesn't rule out using a second day pick on a tackle. 

 

It doesn't rule out anything in the draft. You can draft a LT prospect who can compete at RT, for instance. But this projects Glowinski as the starting RG, and pencils Smith in at RT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW! I guess Ballard really does believe in Glowinski. Good for him, he had a good season. I guess it also show trust in Smith as a RT. Our starting O-line is set for next year. I still think we need reinforcements but oh well... we will wait and see what happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woohoo!  we’re keeping the band together, and kind of a bargain.  I’d try to keep Desir before FA, then I’m so on the fence on Geathers.  He’s the only leader in the secondary, but his injury past is very poor.  I’d like to bring him back, most likely on a one-year prove-it, due to health.  But that certainly means letting him test FA...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

It doesn't rule out anything in the draft. You can draft a LT prospect who can compete at RT, for instance. But this projects Glowinski as the starting RG, and pencils Smith in at RT.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

If they used a second day pick on a T, this forum will riot. We need depth not a new starter. Talent is not the only thing a oline needs, it also needs cohesion and you only get that by playing together for a long time. This will be the first time in Luck's career he will have the same 5 linemen barring any injuries, to start from the prior year and I would rather not mess that up. 

 

I think the bolded only applies to the clueless.

 

It is perfectly reasonable to use a draft pick early in 2019 that may not see the field much until 2020.  Castonzo is a FA after this season and will be 31 at the start of next season.  If they find a tackle they think could fill in on occasion in 19 and then take over in 2020, that is not a bad plan at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm happy we're keeping the same OL.  I still would like to have decent backup that can play across the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

 

I think the bolded only applies to the clueless.

 

It is perfectly reasonable to use a draft pick early in 2019 that may not see the field much until 2020.  Castonzo is a FA after this season and will be 31 at the start of next season.  If they find a tackle they think could fill in on occasion in 19 and then take over in 2020, that is not a bad plan at all.

 

You want to use a early pick on a player that won't play for a few years and be nothing, but depth? AC still has a good 4 years. We can look for his replacement in a couple of years, for now we need to deal with our more pressing needs like the interior and exterior pass rush and getting more weapons for our offense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...