Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew’s poor short throws

Hoose

7 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Here are Lucks stats this year.

This goes along with that I said earlier in another thread and the game thread yesterday.  He started the year slow, as to be expected, but then for about 8 weeks really picked it up and he was firing the ball with authority.  And then about week 12 or so, I started to notice a big drop in velocity and he started to guide the ball.  His Qb rating went way down as a result and it never really got better.  In face the past 7 quarters he was as bad as he was all year.

Reminds me a lot of a pitcher who can't find the strike zone and starts aiming it.

Andrew Luck stats

Game stats

Game

CMP%

YDS

TD

INT

Rating

1/12

@

Chiefs

1/5

@

Texans

12/30

@

Titans

12/23

vs

Giants

12/16

vs

Cowboys

12/9

@

Texans

12/2

@

Jaguars

11/25

vs

Dolphins

11/18

vs

Titans

11/11

vs

Jaguars

10/28

@

Raiders

10/21

vs

Bills

10/14

@

Jets

10/4

@

Patriots

9/30

vs

Texans

9/23

@

Eagles

9/16

@

Redskins

9/9

vs

Bengals

His stats against the Giants and Titans were great, Yards and TD's wise. It was also great at Texans the 1st time. Against Dallas we ran for 200 Yards so he didn't have to throw much.

9 minutes ago, threeflight said:

In face the past 7 quarters he was as bad as he was all year.

5 minutes ago, threeflight said:

That being said, his stats have really fallen off the past 6 weeks

3 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Something ain't right.

Good lord...

e48fe2c9-abb6-4228-9013-2e21f6e1d5a8

We get it...

Are you going to keep rehashing this over and over all off-season?

• Thanks 2

You all need to go back and look at the game.  If you do you will see several pass plays where the KC DTs would grab Q's facemask and push his head back all of these are blatant penalties. As a result Luck could not step up in the pocket. This continuing illegal tactic destroyed our pass blocking. I would love to know why this was allowed.  

image.png.898253eeaf7d4845bbfe17bb808e9f5d.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Good lord...

e48fe2c9-abb6-4228-9013-2e21f6e1d5a8

We get it...

Are you going to keep rehashing this over and over all off-season?

His wife is also an expert in body language so we’ll soon start seeing that in every post too.......

He’s an athlete who is majorly successful with his own company and his wife is also very talented.

I think the Colts should hire the husband and wife team cause they will fix all problems cause they know everything.

This is our 3rd possession. It is 3rd and 2, Luck was sacked as he was forced to run. Smith had Houston locked up until he got punched in the face if you watch the entire play (I am old and not good at posting this info. 

image.png.16480ef27e928c9d9c7222177cd8f62e.png

Luck still made a move to the outside and TY was breaking open to the sideline so the CB grabbed his shirt and pulled him back so Luck had no one to throw  and was caught as he tried to run the ball.

image.png.584bb1bceedb2596b0807f5ef1b9083e.png

image.png

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

I’d like the Forum to weigh in a bit deeper on this topic. I don’t recall AL having the struggles he showed yesterday on hitting the receiver on short pass plays. It had all of us at our house wondering whether he’d suddenly hurt his arm? That perception only got worse over the course of the game. He looked terrible to be honest; almost shot putting some of those throws. Was it arm trouble? Trying to guide the passes instead of throwing them? Is it a symptom of his new throwing motion ( though if so, why wasn’t this a problem earlier on the season?) I’m  baffled. Never seen him like that before. 

The receiver's were not getting separation at all most of the game so all of you saying luck had a horrible day is far fetched.

On our 4th possession it was 3rd and 6. Ebron was running the Doyle play where he catches the ball on the run and picks up the 1st. Ebron was wide open and Luck makes a perfect throw except Ebron stopped running. Instead he turned and caught the ball short of the first down maker and waited to be tackled. I could keep going but none of the above was Luck fault

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

His last few games he seems to be lobbing the ball more than zipping it, and it was worse in this KC game.

Its possible the shoulder is simply tired.  Like what happens to rookies when they hit the wall.

The ball may have been slick.  Mahomes misfired quite a bit from the pocket too.

yes, i agree...... the Texans game was a good example.   seemed to be in slow-motion, lobbing some great touch passes but no zip.  his 2nd half in the texans game was his entire chiefs game.  wicked ugly throws...had a weird concerned look on his face the whole chiefs game.  wasn't like that in other games.  huge road games like this are not his forte.  this team has a lot of issues to figure out.  Had we try to use that weak porous zone D against the patriots, they would have eaten us alive worse than KC did. 

1 minute ago, chrisfarley said:

yes, i agree...... the Texans game was a good example.   seemed to be in slow-motion, lobbing some great touch passes but no zip.  his 2nd half in the texans game was his entire chiefs game.  wicked ugly throws...had a weird concerned look on his face the whole chiefs game.  wasn't like that in other games.  huge road games like this are not his forte.  this team has a lot of issues to figure out.  Had we try to use that weak porous zone D against the patriots, they would have eaten us alive worse than KC did. 

Yep.  Glad you mentioned it.  I get picked on for making "stupid" observations so I'm glad someone else made one for a change.

• Thanks 1

As though it really matters, Jason Whitlock asked the question on Twitter after the game. "Has your opinion of Andrew Luck changed permanently? Mine has, noodle arm!" His words not mine, but the media is already trying to put it out there. He did take alot of heat after the remark but probably as many agreed. I personally hope it is more of a conditioning issue or maybe the newer throwing motion he has used. Just odd the shorter throws have been more the issue.

Let us not sugar coat, Andrew Luck underwhelmed yesterday. It was not a true reflection of how he has played during the 10-1 streak but there were several "WTH" moments with his throwing yesterday. 

Hopefully another offseason of strength and conditioning gets Luck back to greater heights!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, coltsfan77 said:

As though it really matters, Jason Whitlock asked the question on Twitter after the game. "Has your opinion of Andrew Luck changed permanently? Mine has, noodle arm!" His words not mine, but the media is already trying to put it out there. He did take alot of heat after the remark but probably as many agreed. I personally hope it is more of a conditioning issue or maybe the newer throwing motion he has used. Just odd the shorter throws have been more the issue.

Really :facepalm:, that is so laughable. 

• Like 3

I'm sure after being repaired twice and a full NFL season, the shoulder is weaker now then it probably was midseason.  A good off season of rest would be nice.

The same thing is said about ACLs. The first year back is not quite the same but the second year is when all things are normal. 

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Let us not sugar coat, Andrew Luck underwhelmed yesterday. It was not a true reflection of how he has played during the 10-1 streak but there were several "WTH" moments with his throwing yesterday. 

Hopefully another offseason of strength and conditioning gets Luck back to greater heights!!!

Also I would say this noodle arm garbage is getting old about Luck. He just had a bad game. What's Phil Rivers excuse today? He has been zinging it and he has been bad today. It happens in the Divisional Round a lot to great QB's. Rivers must have an arm of an 80 year old.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Also I would say this noodle arm garbage is getting old about Luck. He just had a bad game. What's Phil Rivers excuse today? He has been zinging it and he has been bad today. It happens in the Divisional Round a lot to great QB's. Rivers must have an arm of an 80 year old.

Yes, I'd agree on that. Patriots did stomp the Colts 43-22 at home in the 2013 divisional round before losing to the Broncos on the road 16-26 in the 2013 AFCCG. The elite teams do have an advantage with the bye week.

Plus, Sony Michel and that FB Develin are healthy for the Patriots, hope the Chargers bang them up before the AFCCG. :thmup:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yes, I'd agree on that. Patriots did stomp the Colts 43-22 at home in the 2013 divisional round before losing to the Broncos on the road 16-26 in the 2013 AFCCG. The elite teams do have an advantage with the bye week.

Plus, Sony Michel and that FB Develin are healthy for the Patriots, hope the Chargers bang them up before the AFCCG. :thmup:

Yeah I would be the 1st to say if I thought Luck's shoulder wasn't right. I just think he had a bad game. Late in the game he zinged one to TY for a TD, it just wasn't his day. 

If you look back at QB after a injury it is usually the second season they really come back. It is very possible his arm did get tired by the end of the season. Hopefully with a entire off season he will work it out like crazy. Couple that with KC defense and it was a disaster. So many things went into this loss.  Not one part of the game went well.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

His last few games he seems to be lobbing the ball more than zipping it, and it was worse in this KC game.

Its possible the shoulder is simply tired.  Like what happens to rookies when they hit the wall.

The ball may have been slick.  Mahomes misfired quite a bit from the pocket too.

Agreed.  As I said in another post.  He hasn't played in a year and a half.  I truly beleive he ran out of steam if anything.  It is expected.  I don't think people realize the epic season he had based on what he had to endure. All the changes with regards to players and coaches. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

The Kansas D was in form yesterday. The entire front four was unleashing, and that meant the double teaming wasn’t working. 

I also think he was he was trying to protect the ball and not allow a pick. Just a rough day in every facet. 

When I was watching him, I didn’t really notice the Oline getting manhandled or his arm looking “weak” per se. I think he held the ball a little too long and looked like a QB who was scared to throw a pick. 

That combined with getting behind and not finding any rhythm = a bad day for the Colts offense.

I also think it’s worth noting, Andrew Luck looked upbeat in his post game press conference. He stated he was fulfilled and proved a lot to himself this season. Imo, you wouldn’t have seen that Andrew if his shoulder was causing him problems. If he was worried about his arm at all.

1 hour ago, coltsfan77 said:

Whitlock loves the Colts. So, I doubt he'd just make this up.

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

He is a KC FAN. He does not love the colts. Go look at his twitter. He was calling the colts clowns. His Twitter is vile colts hatred from yesterday.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, CamMo said:

When I was watching him, I didn’t really notice the Oline getting manhandled or his arm looking “weak” per se. I think he held the ball a little too long and looked like a QB who was scared to throw a pick. 

That combined with getting behind and not finding any rhythm = a bad day for the Colts offense.

I also think it’s worth noting, Andrew Luck looked upbeat in his post game press conference. He stated he was fulfilled and proved a lot to himself this season. Imo, you wouldn’t have seen that Andrew if his shoulder was causing him problems. If he was worried about his arm at all.

I would agree with that.  Good to hear about the presser.

1 hour ago, chrisfarley said:

Slow motion.

That is exactly how I would label his passing motion, his throws, the ball speed, even his demeanor lately.

He is not throwing the ball like an NFL quarterback.

More like a HS Qb.  Lob city.

This loss could be a ticket to play in the Pro Bowl for Andrew.   I wonder if he would talk to a few receivers to see if they would be interested in joining him on the Colts if it could be worked out.  You never know.  In fact Antonio Brown was selected to play.  Supposedly one of the reasons he missed the last Steelers game was an injury.  That was quite a few weeks ago.  I haven't seen where he has been replaced on the roster.  Wouldn't it be wild if he decided to play and winds up with Andrew throwing to him. 

I think his motion is now more dependent on his feet getting set. So it's not pure arm at this point. The footing was probably bad on that field yesterday. The ball was wet. There's also really very little evidence at this point that he can play well in the elements- I should have recalled this. The Chiefs were also in his face quite often and he couldn't get out of his own way at times. Credit to the Chiefs again.. I think the Colts would have done better to stick to the run game longer than they did. Watching Luck throw the ball into the D line or at the peoples feet wasn't getting it done. But whatever.

I did not see that game coming down to Luck simply not being able to do anything. The D actually locked up KC for enough time that the Colts could have made it a one score game. It's surprising that the score didn't get out of hand sooner. Really though, there's blame to go around and it's not as though the Chiefs aren't just simply better right now. So, it was kind of a blowout, but not one in the mold of prior Luck lead teams. I thought they'd play better, but I'm not blown away that they lost. The expectations for next year are going to be high, fair or not and the word is out on this team. It's going to be hard to even get back to the second round. I guess all we can do is wait. Boo!

5 hours ago, threeflight said:

Yes he did.  I mentioned it in the game thread last week and also on the regular forum.  The 2nd half last week he started to guide the ball and missed at least 4 throws that if he makes the game was a blowout.  

I really started to notice it about week 12 or so and it has gotten worse every week.

IMO he is ok physically as there are still times when he stops thinking and throws it normally.  Like at the end of the half and game yesterday.   But for most of the time his throwing motion reminds me of a girl or a pitcher who can't find the strike zone.  He is totally aiming the ball instead of zinging the ball.   He has no confidence.

Look at Tom Brady today for example.  He is 12 years older and is throwing the ball with much more RPM speed and way better motion than what Luck is doing.  That is inexcusable.

I also counted at least 30 times this year, and many yesterday, where Luck could have ran for good yards and instead threw a low % pass.  I think he has become so afraid of getting hurt again, probably from the coaches telling him this, that he has totally become a passive player.

I might also add that he just looked out of it yesterday.  Like he was stoned or something.  Might have been sick with the flu?

He hit receivers and they dropped the ball. So I think he let up, thinking they'd catch them. On at least one run he would've had the first down, but flipped it to Ebron, who dropped it. Eric dropped about 4 catchable yesterday. Plus Fountain dropped a sure TD, and Cox had a chance for one that he might have gripped inside LOS instead of 30 degree, snow and wind...

I love Luck as a person and as a player. And this is just my very personal opinion on Luck. To me, Luck is the kind of person who always cares too much and puts too much weight on his shoulder. However, he is also the kind of player who needs to forget about tons of concerns in order to focus. This is why he had so many fourth-quarter comebacks--that was the moment when he could totally forget about different concerns and focus on football. (another example was the end of first half yesterday, the only two minutes I felt like Luck being the real Luck.)

I think this also explains why Luck played comparatively poorly in the last few games. I feel that he cared too much about turnovers and worried about mistakes. The terrible pick six in the Titan game really hurt. Personally I believe that was an interesting turning point.

Because Luck worried so much about turnovers, he started holding the ball for too long and when he threw, he threw it relatively low and short. I haven't played football at all but I think that is another sign of Luck's being worried about getting intercepted. Yesterday, most of Luck's bad throws were slow, soft, and short. This is what one would do in that kind of weather when one worried about turnovers.

Again, just a very personal thought. Go Colts!