Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew’s poor short throws

Hoose

I’d like the Forum to weigh in a bit deeper on this topic. I don’t recall AL having the struggles he showed yesterday on hitting the receiver on short pass plays. It had all of us at our house wondering whether he’d suddenly hurt his arm? That perception only got worse over the course of the game. He looked terrible to be honest; almost shot putting some of those throws. Was it arm trouble? Trying to guide the passes instead of throwing them? Is it a symptom of his new throwing motion ( though if so, why wasn’t this a problem earlier on the season?) I’m  baffled. Never seen him like that before. 

• Like 1

Did he look this way in the Houston game?:dunno:

I agree, he had a terrible game yesterday, but never thought that something is wrong with his arm.

The weather stunk and the messiah for some here “Mahomes” didn’t look as sharp either. Some wobbly throws by him.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I agree, he had a terrible game yesterday, but never thought that something is wrong with his arm.

The weather stunk and the messiah for some here “Mahomes” didn’t look as sharp either. Some wobbly throws by him.

Hell there was too many stupid drops! The WRs need to realize you wont be getting perfect passes in terrible weather learn to catch some wobbly balls.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I’d like the Forum to weigh in a bit deeper on this topic. I don’t recall AL having the struggles he showed yesterday on hitting the receiver on short pass plays. It had all of us at our house wondering whether he’d suddenly hurt his arm? That perception only got worse over the course of the game. He looked terrible to be honest; almost shot putting some of those throws. Was it arm trouble? Trying to guide the passes instead of throwing them? Is it a symptom of his new throwing motion ( though if so, why wasn’t this a problem earlier on the season?) I’m  baffled. Never seen him like that before. 

He looked rushed and panicked more than weak. The few shots he took down field had plenty of zip on them. 

• Like 3

Unfortunately he had an off day and we aren't good enough to overcome crappy QB play.

He's always had this thing with the tipped passes though. I think it's mostly 'how he rolls'. He squats when he throws for whatever reason. They seemed to show up more this year it seems (I have no proof just opinion).

His last few games he seems to be lobbing the ball more than zipping it, and it was worse in this KC game.

Its possible the shoulder is simply tired.  Like what happens to rookies when they hit the wall.

The ball may have been slick.  Mahomes misfired quite a bit from the pocket too.

9 minutes ago, IinD said:

Unfortunately he had an off day and we aren't good enough to overcome crappy QB play.

He's always had this thing with the tipped passes though. I think it's mostly 'how he rolls'. He squats when he throws for whatever reason. They seemed to show up more this year it seems (I have no proof just opinion).

He also seemed to be holding the ball longer as the season went on.  He reminded me of the pre-Reich Andrew yesterday.

I am sure the oline having a bad day didn't help Andrew. Also, I think Luck started to get nervous with the 3 and outs to start the game, and the way the game got away from the Colts. I am not trying to troll Colts fans and say Luck "choked".... But.... 

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He also seemed to be holding the ball longer as the season went on.  He reminded me of the pre-Reich Andrew yesterday.

His houlder is probably happy season 1 post-op is over.

He's still a stud even with his kinks obviously. Team needs to get better overall to compensate for an off game from him.

He didn't look the same yesterday.  I also thought he was guiding the ball.  Even the touchdown to TY had me worried with the way he through it.  His short passes were awful.  Many were hard catches low and sometimes hit the ground.   He had 5 knockdowns?  That's a lot.  I'm starting to think he has a lot of problems with cold and inclement weather.  We need to get home field in the future.  We really do. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Yes he did.  I mentioned it in the game thread last week and also on the regular forum.  The 2nd half last week he started to guide the ball and missed at least 4 throws that if he makes the game was a blowout.  

I really started to notice it about week 12 or so and it has gotten worse every week.

IMO he is ok physically as there are still times when he stops thinking and throws it normally.  Like at the end of the half and game yesterday.   But for most of the time his throwing motion reminds me of a girl or a pitcher who can't find the strike zone.  He is totally aiming the ball instead of zinging the ball.   He has no confidence.

Look at Tom Brady today for example.  He is 12 years older and is throwing the ball with much more RPM speed and way better motion than what Luck is doing.  That is inexcusable.

I also counted at least 30 times this year, and many yesterday, where Luck could have ran for good yards and instead threw a low % pass.  I think he has become so afraid of getting hurt again, probably from the coaches telling him this, that he has totally become a passive player.

I might also add that he just looked out of it yesterday.  Like he was stoned or something.  Might have been sick with the flu?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

He didn't look the same yesterday.  I also thought he was guiding the ball.  Even the touchdown to TY had me worried with the way he through it.  His short passes were awful.  Many were hard catches low and sometimes hit the ground.   He had 5 knockdowns?  That's a lot.  I'm starting to think he has a lot of problems with cold and inclement weather.  We need to get home field in the future.  We really do. 

Yea, I don't know who is more responsible for tipped balls... The qb or oline. But so many tips yesterday. It was depressing. 

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I'm starting to think he has a lot of problems with cold and inclement weather.  We need to get home field in the future.  We really do. 

We obviously can only go on what we've seen, but it wouldn't be the craziest thing ever that he's not great in cold weather. Houston for high school and California for college, not exactly midwest/east coast winters.

23 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You have to give the chiefs defense a lot of the credit. They had flustered and are Oline was terrible. You can’t do much when oline is getting manhandled and no one was open.  TY was limping inthis game. He had a low and high ankle sprain. We need a couple more big play makers.

I actually thought the OL played ok.  Not great but ok.  Luck certainly had enough time to throw.  He just didn't make them.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It also doesn’t help the coaches seemed to come in with no game plan. They had no imagination of offense. They just winged it as they went. Preparation for games must get better.

I agree with this.  I didn't see anything to Hines.....which is 100% inexcusable.  Same thing happened last week.

No rollouts.  No quick hitters.  Just drop back ala Bruce Arian days and wait.  There was no offensive ingenuity at all......if you aren't going to show some great plays in the playoffs, odds are you don't have them to do.  Not good.

I don't think he had a middle arm. I think his arm is fine but you wonder being off so long and right back to playing full speed if it started to wear down towards the end. I look forward to a much much improved Luck next year. Dude just went from May never play again to grinding out 18 games. That dang arm may just be tired and ready for rest. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don't think he had a middle arm. I think his arm is fine but you wonder being off so long and right back to playing full speed if it started to wear down towards the end. I look forward to a much much improved Luck next year. Dude just went from May never play again to grinding out 18 games. That dang arm may just be tired and ready for rest. 

Hopefully that is all it is, and the lack of arm strength lowered his confidence and why he started to guide the ball and not throw it.

The past 7 quarters they have scored what?  1 offensive touchdown and had very few drives.  I didn't see any ingenuity either.  Of course a lot of the blame I place on Luck as he has played horrible the past 7 quarters.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Hopefully that is all it is, and the lack of arm strength lowered his confidence and why he started to guide the ball and not throw it.

The past 7 quarters they have scored what?  1 offensive touchdown and had very few drives.  I didn't see any ingenuity either.  Of course a lot of the blame I place on Luck as he has played horrible the past 7 quarters.

He did. Can't argue that one bit. I think he will look night and day better next year. A full off season with a healthy shoulder. Can't wait for next year and the off season to start lol

21 minutes ago, Ratking said:

Yea, I don't know who is more responsible for tipped balls... The qb or oline. But so many tips yesterday. It was depressing. 

Slide over one side or the other and this would help eliminate so many tipped balls. Don't understand why he doesn't do it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Slide over one side or the other and this would help eliminate so many tipped balls. Don't understand why he doesn't do it.

And change his arm angle like Stafford, Mahomes, and Rivers do.

Very odd how someone as smart as Luck continues to make the same mistakes over and over.

When you hear him interviewed he never really says anything.  Just "respect the process, get better, work all week blah blah blah".

Yet I am still seeing him not progress to the level he should be at.

Hopefully this off season he can strengthen the shoulder and make some real progress.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

And change his arm angle like Stafford, Mahomes, and Rivers so.

Very odd how someone as smart as Luck continues to make the same mistakes over and over.

When you hear him interviewed he never really says anything.  Just "respect the process, get better, work all week blah blah blah".

Yet I am still seeing him not progress to the level he should be at.

Hopefully this off season he can strengthen the shoulder and make some real progress.

I too don't understand why such a smart guy makes the same mistakes over and over. Throwing for like 27 yards in the first half is just unbelievable.

56 minutes ago, IinD said:

He stares down the Receivers which allows defenders to know where he's throwing the ball

• Like 2

First, unfortunate to a novice or average fan, not fanatics like us.  Many may have watched this Nationally televised playoff game to watch the hype of the great Andrew Luck.  To the average fan, the will come away saying Luck did not show them anything and is overrated, based on the Chief game alone.

Someone said they wonder about his shoulder because he seem to be lobbing to ball more like against the Texans and Titans.  I made post last week about that but I felt he was doing that on purpose as a touch pass because he was dropping it in nicely, and these we mid range to deep passes.  

The Texans 2nd half was similar to the Chiefs game but not quite as bad but the Colts were in preserve the lead/win mode.  

Luck is our QB and he had a great year, especially after the 1-5 start, he really started to play well and I hope he did not re-injure his shoulder based on the yesterday's game.

Luck did seem glassy eyed, as someone else said, "a dear in the headlights look" and unfortunately, I agree.  Young Mahomes schooled him in comparison from and mental and physical standpoint.  It was a team loss but Luck's poor performance was the #1 factor.  When we win he gets the most glory and when we lose same thing but in this case it was obvious.  

Here are Lucks stats this year.

This goes along with that I said earlier in another thread and the game thread yesterday.  He started the year slow, as to be expected, but then for about 8 weeks really picked it up and he was firing the ball with authority.  And then about week 12 or so, I started to notice a big drop in velocity and he started to guide the ball.  His Qb rating went way down as a result and it never really got better.  In face the past 7 quarters he was as bad as he was all year.

Reminds me a lot of a pitcher who can't find the strike zone and starts aiming it.

Andrew Luck stats

Game stats

Game

CMP%

YDS

TD

INT

Rating

1/12

@

Chiefs

1/5

@

Texans

12/30

@

Titans

12/23

vs

Giants

12/16

vs

Cowboys

12/9

@

Texans

12/2

@

Jaguars

11/25

vs

Dolphins

11/18

vs

Titans

11/11

vs

Jaguars

10/28

@

Raiders

10/21

vs

Bills

10/14

@

Jets

10/4

@

Patriots

9/30

vs

Texans

9/23

@

Eagles

9/16

@

Redskins

9/9

vs

Bengals

1 hour ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

i do think the weather bothered him like some other great colt quarterback,What was his name ?

Lmao how jaded your memory is. Marvin disappeared in the playoffs moreso than Peyton.  

And while Peyton was effected by weather he never looked scared and threw lame armed 5 yard passes.  Manning's wobblers were the ones he chunked 20 yards and at least forced it near the player. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Caffrey said:

First, unfortunate to a novice or average fan, not fanatics like us.  Many may have watched this Nationally televised playoff game to watch the hype of the great Andrew Luck.  To the average fan, the will come away saying Luck did not show them anything and is overrated, based on the Chief game alone.

Someone said they wonder about his shoulder because he seem to be lobbing to ball more like against the Texans and Titans.  I made post last week about that but I felt he was doing that on purpose as a touch pass because he was dropping it in nicely, and these we mid range to deep passes.  

The Texans 2nd half was similar to the Chiefs game but not quite as bad but the Colts were in preserve the lead/win mode.  

Luck is our QB and he had a great year, especially after the 1-5 start, he really started to play well and I hope he did not re-injure his shoulder based on the yesterday's game.

Luck did seem glassy eyed, as someone else said, "a dear in the headlights look" and unfortunately, I agree.  Young Mahomes schooled him in comparison from and mental and physical standpoint.  It was a team loss but Luck's poor performance was the #1 factor.  When we win he gets the most glory and when we lose same thing but in this case it was obvious.  

Yeah I made that deer in the headlights look comment.  My wife, who knows very little about football but who is very good at reading people, said he looked stunned and out of it even at the start of the game.

I wonder if he was sick. I was sick with the flu from Christmas through NY and I can't imagine playing football being that way.  I had to bowl in one league and could barely do it.  Otherwise I didn't leave bed.  So if he did have the flu, I could see why he was so out of it.

That being said, his stats have really fallen off the past 6 weeks so odds are he just has lost confidence for whatever reasons.  

3 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Lmao how jaded your memory is. Marvin disappeared in the playoffs moreso than Peyton.  

And while Peyton was effected by weather he never looked scared and threw lame armed 5 yard passes.  Manning's wobblers were the ones he chunked 20 yards and at least forced it near the player. 

Yeah the big tell to me was Luck never really went downfield yesterday other than that one pass to Hilton late, and even that was more of a lob rather than a throw.  

Something ain't right.