Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Conservative or Smart?

Smonroe

Shut out the second half of the game.  However, I didn’t get that feel that we were playing too conservative.  I felt like the Texans stepped it up on D and Luck was playing smart.  The D (as Booger pointed out a dozen times) is built for that type of situation.  So no need to take chances.  

I haven’t re-watched the second half yet, but I didn’t get the feel like last season. Then, as soon as we had any lead it seemed we went full prevent on both O and D.  

I love reading the opposing teams boards after the game and they all agree the Texans were thoroughly out coached.  

I think many Texans fans never liked O'Brien to begin with, so its probably easy for them to say they were out coached.  Not saying he wasn't, but many of their fans harbor a negative bias before a game even starts.

I like Watson, but he's no Luck, so O'Brien was disadvantaged in that regard. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Shut out the second half of the game.  However, I didn’t get that feel that we were playing too conservative.  I felt like the Texans stepped it up on D and Luck was playing smart.  The D (as Booger pointed out a dozen times) is built for that type of situation.  So no need to take chances.  

I haven’t re-watched the second half yet, but I didn’t get the feel like last season. Then, as soon as we had any lead it seemed we went full prevent on both O and D.  

I love reading the opposing teams boards after the game and they all agree the Texans were thoroughly out coached.  

It's an adjustment story.  The first half Houston stayed in their base D presumably because Andrew will typically torch the blitz. 

In the second half they went blitz heavy and we didn't adjust very well.  Frankly, you can make the case we were outcoached and outplayed in the second half but were so dominant in the first it didn't matter. 

As a coach, I believe, you have to anticipate halftime adjustments to the point of having a second game plan practiced and ready to deploy if required.  For instance, look no further than the Super Bowl we lost versus New Orleans that's exactly what they did defensively to us.  Keep in mind a team way behind is always going to make significant adjustments because they are in a no lose scenario so they will 'go for broke' we need to anticipate that, it likely would have been different if it were a tie game at half.  So what you saw wasn't prevent or conservative, it was about adjustments, if fact, on D I think we blitzed more in the second half than the first.  Just my observations.

PS. On D I think we sent Kenny on a CB blitz 3 or 4 plays in a row if I recall.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think many Texans fans never liked O'Brien to begin with, so its probably easy for them to say they were out coached.  Not saying he wasn't, but many of their fans harbor a negative bias before a game even starts.

Watson had a brutal game.

• Like 2

I didn't mind the playcalling in the second half. We didn't execute as well as I wanted to and we got hit by some penalties, but overall I don't have much of a problem with it. You do what gives you the best chance to win. At some point draining the clock became more important than scoring points, which is OK.

When you lead by 2-3 scores - maximize win probability, minimize variance. That's the way to go. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Mahomes does the same in his first career playoff game...

Mahomes is a whole different animal, he can throw it and they will have talent and a solid GP.  Expect a war.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

Oh, I do. But there are some people who think the Colts don't have a shot. It will go down to the wire IMO.

The team is playing with house money now...this fan - since 1967 - appreciates this season however it ends.  I do like the Colts' chances going up against a young QB in his first playoff game...with Andy Reid on the sideline.  :^)

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

We certainly have a shot but this will be the toughest test we have faced.

Agreed. Win or lose this game is going to be valuable to a young defense facing what looks to be the next dominate team in the AFC for years to come. This likely won’t be the only post season game we play against them.

• Like 2

Just now, MPStack said:

Worst clock management I have ever witnessed from a QB in a playoff game.

I don't think he is as good as advertised.

Highly Mobile QBs who run a lot don’t usually last long either. We kept him relatively in check and forced him to be a pocket passer and game manager. Something he’s not and something most highly mobile, running/wildcat QBs seem to struggle with. 

When i say highly mobile, I’m talking about QBs that run more than their RBs in games...   the watsons, the young’s, the RG3s etc. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He's not Luck...but....I fear him in upcoming years.....he's only going to get better.  I'll take Luck over anyone, because he's my favorite quarterback, but Watson is a legitimate up and coming threat.  Wait until HE has an o- line.....

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

We certainly have a shot but this will be the toughest test we have faced.

This is the number one offense in the league we will be facing; yes it will be a huge test.  However, I think it will be a shoot out, because there defense isn't as good as others we have played.

2nd half was all

about not turning it over and making the Texans best us. If the game was closer, Reich would’ve been more aggressive but he knew the only way they were getting back in it for real was to get a big game/momentum changing play from their defense. 

5 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

The second half offense was good, we just didn't execute. 2 big drops from Chester and Pascal (I believe) forced 2 punts. The Texans brought more pressure and made it a bit more difficult for us, but we had a chance to keep those drives going if it wasnt for those drops.

Luck only threw 10 times in the 2nd half. It was all about not making mistakes and running time off the clock.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Luck only threw 10 times in the 2nd half. It was all about not making mistakes and running time off the clock.

Agreed. No doubt we played smart.  I’m confident that if needed we could have switched it back on and scored again.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Luck is Good said:

Texans played good defense in the second half. Just had to get through that game. I don’t think the Chiefs will be able to stop the Colts. Period

This Colts team has done well against running QB’s primarily correct? The colts have also done well with receivers who rely on speed, correct? My huge concern in this game is Kelce. Where we’ve had major troubles is the throws to the RB’s and TE’s into screens and just in the middle of the field for big chunks. The TE spot is what concerns me and they have a monster at TE. So while it’s possible they can’t stop our offense, it’s quite possible we can’t stop theirs either and it just becomes who has the ball last wins type of game. My stress meter can’t take that type of game lol. 

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

He's not Luck...but....I fear him in upcoming years.....he's only going to get better.  I'll take Luck over anyone, because he's my favorite quarterback, but Watson is a legitimate up and coming threat.  Wait until HE has an o- line.....

Maybe.... if he doesn’t get maimed first.

He’s blown an ACL twice... once in college and then last year. 

1 hour ago, DraftMaster said:

Oh, I do. But there are some people who think the Colts don't have a shot. It will go down to the wire IMO.

The only reason we have a shot is because the chiefs defense has been suspect this year. Mahomes likes to rely on the deep ball. So he is completely opposite  of Alex Smith. Hill is like a faster version of hilton a d kelce  catches  almost everything  thrown his way. We should be able to stop their backs, but our only hope is to slow them down in the first half and then hope we can hold them off in the second

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I don't think it was conservative or smart.  I think the offense played sloppy in the 2nd half.   Some dropped passes, poor throws, lineman slow to switch off to help pickup the blitz.  False start and a holding penlaty on Nelson.

21-7? Is that smart enough?

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I don't think it was conservative or smart.  I think the offense played sloppy in the 2nd half.   Some dropped passes, poor throws, lineman slow to switch off to help pickup the blitz.  False start and a holding penlaty on Nelson.

Yep...sloppy would have been the word I would have chosen over smart and conservatitve. 

Not the first game this has happened. Hopefully next week it won't be an issue because I think the score will be much tighter.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yup. JJ Watt was hanging back just hoping to get his massive paws around one of those passes. We just couldn’t let that happen.

I don’t think we went too conservative though.  We had a couple 3rd down throws that were dropped, if I’m remembering correctly.

Terrible clock management by O'brien.  We couldn't believe how the Texans showed no urgency in the 2nd. half.  No hurry up offense or two minute drill.  They wasted a lot of valuable time.  I think a coach was fired last year after losing the first playoff game?  I could be wrong.  It wouldn't surprise me if he's shown the door.  Terrible game and clock management contributed in making an attempt at a comeback tougher.       

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Terrible clock management by O'brien.  We couldn't believe how the Texans showed no urgency in the 2nd. half.  No hurry up offense or two minute drill.  They wasted a lot of valuable time.  I think a coach was fired last year after losing the first playoff game?  I could be wrong.  It wouldn't surprise me if he's shown the door.  Terrible game and clock management contributed in making an attempt at a comeback tougher.       

The Titans fired Mularky after he WON a playoff game.  Then got drubbed by the Pats.  

Like Booger kept pointing out, our D is not going to allow a quick score except for a severe breakdown.  The Texans has no choice but to keep going underneath to the drop offs.  

Watson also missed a few open guys due to pressure.

2 hours ago, Jdubu said:

This Colts team has done well against running QB’s primarily correct? The colts have also done well with receivers who rely on speed, correct? My huge concern in this game is Kelce. Where we’ve had major troubles is the throws to the RB’s and TE’s into screens and just in the middle of the field for big chunks. The TE spot is what concerns me and they have a monster at TE. So while it’s possible they can’t stop our offense, it’s quite possible we can’t stop theirs either and it just becomes who has the ball last wins type of game. My stress meter can’t take that type of game lol. 

It could very well be a shootout. But this Colts team has shown that they can win either way. I think they win next weekend

• Like 1

Andrew kinda choked in the second half. They blitzed and he was getting those passes knocked down and he was off target.
 We do a great job keeping mobile QB's in the pocket. Muhammed did show us some Mathis in the 1st half and totally gave up the outside biting inside. That was fixed in the second half.

It will be interesting to see if KC blitzes in the 1st half.

I was listening to 1070 this morning and they indicated the Colts might have been a little vanilla in the second half due to the way their defense was playing and not wanting to show more for the Chiefs.

The Texans certainly played better defense in the second half. They were more aggressive. Even with that there were plays that could have been made but the Colts just didn't execute.

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I felt much of the same way. I also felt like the defense came out and played a different style that didn’t work as well. Had to readjust a bit. They were alllowing those throw and runs out the flats more. I sure feel like our team benefitted much more than the Texans did in this game. I hope we don’t have to see the crew who did the Dallas game though, that crew dislikes us.