Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Next Up The Texans

King Colt

The Texans are fighting for a bye in the playoffs. They don't want to play NE at NE. (who does?) So they have their reasons for beating the Colts.

The Colts know their status all too well after the Jags shutout. Call it pride, heart, team spirit or whatever they have to show good next week knowing they barely lost to the Texans in their first meeting. My main concern is how well the Jags put pressure on Luck knowing the edge rushers for Houston. Houston has allowed too many sacks on their QB, Watson so maybe the Colts can ruffle his feathers. Hopkins is an amazingly gifted receiver so he will be problem to put it mildly. 

Houston winning 9 in a row shows they are a good team, and they are good in key areas, with a dynamic QB, elite WR and excellent pass rush.  However they also have weaknesses, specifically the O-line and potentially at corner, although they have not been as big a liability as I had expected, but that may be linked to strong pass rush.

There are chinks in their armour we could exploit but it will take a lot to get a result in their place based off the momentum they are running with.  Watt looked excellent again last week and will be a huge test for us to keep him quiet.

The Colts are essentially in the playoffs NOW. Every game is a must win.

Despite the goose egg last week, the D played well enough to win. And we know the offense can score points, when playing well.

I’m interested to see what Reich does.

If the Colts play their best in all phases, they can win. 

Maybe missing Doyle and Kelly is too much to overcome, we shall see. If they can get Kelly and Mo Allie Cox back, that helps.

Should be a good game.

True measuring stick right here. It would surprise me to see us pull this out. Defense will need to play much better than they did last time. O-Line has to step up. AC needs to redeem himself after the Jags game. Getting Kelly back will be major. Just make sure Hopkins is covered by like 17 guys and we might be okay lol

We really need Kelly back for this one.  Smith is going to have his hands full.  Hopefully they give him some help.  Running the ball is going to be important.  If we can't and become just a passing offense we are in trouble.  The defense has been playing great so hopefully they can keep it close.  I'm expecting Frank to take the points every time this time around.  We have a chance but on the road?  Not feeling good about it. 

True measuring stick game here. The obvious is that the Texans jumped all over us last time, and haven't lost in two and a half months.

But below the surface, we have a Colts team that has looked out of sorts the last two weeks, and a previously hot offense that just got humiliated by a team that was basically falling apart. I keep going back to Reich's initial comments -- mental toughness, an obsession to finish, the relentless pursuit to get better every day.

The Colts need to spend this week cleaning up their mistakes of the last couple games, Reich needs to find his mojo as a play caller again, the defense needs to continue to tackle well and do a better job covering receivers than they did last time vs Houston -- and if we want to preserve any chance of making the playoffs, we have to win.

If we can beat the Texans, then we belong in the playoff conversation. If not, the rest of the season is about building momentum for 2019.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

It'd be funny if our offense suddenly scores 40 and our defense gives up 41.

This. I’m half expecting our offense to step up just to see our defense sputter lmao 

Watson is playing well. I think he’ll play even better than the first game.

Ravens play the Chiefs in KC. I know we looked horrible last week, but a win against Hou and a Ravens loss and we are tied at 7-6 with them again just like that. Dolphins, Titans, Broncos also in the mix. Broncos have the easiest schedule by far.

In the first meeting, the Colts played (the whole game)   LT- Clark,  RT- Good

Even though Watt and Clowney had 2 sacks each, the Colt offense still put up 34 regulation points.

But the Colt offense also gave up 14 first half points: Kelly fumbling a snap into the end zone, and later Luck getting strip sacked where the Texans got a 1st and goal at the Colt's 8 yd. line.

If the Colt's offense had not given the Texans 14 points, the Colts win in regulation easily 34-20.

That is with Clark at LT and Good at RT the whole game.

• Like 1

Some creative/off-the-beaten-track thoughts for consideration this Sunday vs. HOU:

Waive Ryan Grant now, and move Jalen Collins to active roster: start the latter!

Start Jonathan Williams and Nyheim Hynes in a 2RB set, and run the ball >50% of the time!

Whenever EE is on the field, let him block, not run routes (could use any TE to catch passes except EE): no one will expect this!

Bring in Jacoby for the 4th and short scenarios: then have him inhale helium before moving onto the field, for a change in cadence/count that REALLY catches the opponent off-sides!

Use Grover Stewart as a FB on 4th and short, with Williams running behind him!

Okay: I'll look for my pill box now...

50 minutes ago, DrWhom said:

Some creative/off-the-beaten-track thoughts for consideration this Sunday vs. HOU:

Waive Ryan Grant now, and move Jalen Collins to active roster: start the latter!

Start Jonathan Williams and Nyheim Hynes in a 2RB set, and run the ball >50% of the time!

Whenever EE is on the field, let him block, not run routes (could use any TE to catch passes except EE): no one will expect this!

Bring in Jacoby for the 4th and short scenarios: then have him inhale helium before moving onto the field, for a change in cadence/count that REALLY catches the opponent off-sides!

Use Grover Stewart as a FB on 4th and short, with Williams running behind him!

Okay: I'll look for my pill box now...

Funny!  But there is some truth in needing that BIG back.  We're definitely missing the Turbin presence, someone who can get you two yards when you need one.  It's pretty obvious the coaches don't think they have that guy on the roster.

I like Mack, but it doesn't take much to take him down on an initial hit. 

1 hour ago, DrWhom said:

Ha, I thought with the helium you were going to say have him float over the line for a first down.

8 hours ago, egg said:

In the first meeting, the Colts played (the whole game)   LT- Clark,  RT- Good

Even though Watt and Clowney had 2 sacks each, the Colt offense still put up 34 regulation points.

But the Colt offense also gave up 14 first half points: Kelly fumbling a snap into the end zone, and later Luck getting strip sacked where the Texans got a 1st and goal at the Colt's 8 yd. line.

If the Colt's offense had not given the Texans 14 points, the Colts win in regulation easily 34-20.

That is with Clark at LT and Good at RT the whole game.

Take away the negative plays/turnovers of any game and the other team wins easily. This should be another highly entertaining matchup tho. I expect there to be heavy slugs from both sides. 

10 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I found this stat on the Texans board.  I found it promising.

"In 13 career games vs. the Texans. Hilton has 67 receptions for 1,246 yards and 9 TDs. He is averaging 18.6 yards a reception."

-http://www.texanstalk.com/threads/game-13-take-10-indianapolis-colts.113739/page-2

TY normally has big games vs the Texans.  It just a good match up for him just like the Colts are a good match up for Bortles.  Sometimes guys just have the other teams number.

5 hours ago, King Colt said:

Does the embarrassment against the Jags impact the Colts attitude going in to Houston? Should it? Can it? Will it? Someone said "It is not how they handle winning but how they handle losing."

To me back-to-back losses now would be crushing.

Who said that??

On 12/4/2018 at 7:56 AM, NewEra said:

Hope we get Kelly back. Although their strength is more on the outside. AC is going to have his hands full. 

I hope they give Kelly some help this game...cause he barely got any last game. It would almost be worth it to just put Hewitt in the backfield and have him rotate between helping Smith and AC as an extra blocker. Kidding...sort of.

• Like 1

All things considered, if we can pull off a big upset over the Texans, we would be decent shape for a finishing playoff run.  I say big upset after disappointing goose egg we laid against the Jags.  I was really looking forward to a 6 game winning streak going into Houston but it wasn't ,meant to be.  Now, we just re-group and test our METL against Houston. 

I think the Colts will win. The NFL wants that DAL/IND game the following week to matter...so they can flex it. And HOU winning doesn't really do much. So I expect to be a couple more breaks than we are accustomed to.

Colts can win the next two...they will be playoff bound. Much easier said than done though.

8 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I hope they give Kelly some help this game...cause he barely got any last game. It would almost be worth it to just put Hewitt in the backfield and have him rotate between helping Smith and AC as an extra blocker. Kidding...sort of.

Both Smith and AC had their hands full against Jax. I don't see it getting any easier with Houston heh. I really do think a lot of it starts with Kelly. Also Doyle being out hurt big time. These other guys need to step their blocking game up  

8 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I think the Colts will win. The NFL wants that DAL/IND game the following week to matter...so they can flex it. And HOU winning doesn't really do much. So I expect to be a couple more breaks than we are accustomed to.

Colts can win the next two...they will be playoff bound. Much easier said than done though.

Pretty sure the flex deadline for Dec 16 was Dec 4.