Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dontrelle Inman making a difference

Hoose

Grant is still getting about twice the snaps that he is, and it’s getting a little thin with the reasons why. Grant has been incredibly underwhelming since his arrival. Maybe even moreso than the DHB, Nicks, and Johnson signings before him. 

I think seeing more of Inman and less of Grant would be better for the offense as a whole, honestly. 

• Like 4

Personally....  I’m hoping that next off season we move on from Grant and keep Inman.

But if we keep Grant I’m not going to get bent out of shape like some (well, one) in this thread.   I trust this cjaching staff and front office to make the rights calls.    

Trust....    what a concept?! 

• Like 2

Just did a quick-look for reference and, yeah. Grant is going to wind up being right in that group. 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Personally....  I’m hoping that next off season we move on from Grant and keep Inman.

But if we keep Grant I’m not going to get bent out of shape like some (well, one) in this thread.   I trust this cjaching staff and front office to make the rights calls.    

Trust....    what a concept?! 

Bent out of shape?

Please, reference your claim. 

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

Just did a quick-look for reference and, yeah. Grant is going to wind up being right in that group. 

Bent out of shape?

Please, reference your claim. 

I’ll hang up and listen to your answer. 

Just now, lollygagger8 said:

I posted this on stampede blue but it bears repeating;

I'd like to see Inman take more snaps. 

Nothing against Grant or Pascal, but the Inman/Luck confidence is growing. He’s not Reggie level, but Inman definitely has Luck’s trust and has great hands.

Careful, this appears to be...

bent out of shape. 

8 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I’ll hang up and listen to your answer. 

You're going to hang up and listen to your own answer?

Seeing what Inman has done so far it's hard to believe that he wasn't signed by a team before he was.  Good hands and a good route runner.

• Like 2

Inman is doing great. He gets decent separation, and he brings great hands to the equation

Cain should be a decent player next year as well...... overall, the TEs are getting a few 

snaps in the slot. (Vs a WR)

I really dont think that we need to get a WR with any of the picks in round 1-3, because of Inman

I also think that one of the 2-3 WRs in development will improve as well, to become a counted on player

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Lets hear it for Dontrelle Inman. He is the "great hands" receiver who can get open and move the chains that this team has been missing. You get it near him and he catches it. Inman has joined TY and Doyle as a legit, reliable 3rd down target for Luck. He has made a difference for the Colts, and barring injury, I look for him to be regarded as a key piece of the team's turnaround going forward. 

May I cue in my recommendation of Inman when Deon Cain suffered his season ending injury way back in August : :) 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Lets hear it for Dontrelle Inman. He is the "great hands" receiver who can get open and move the chains that this team has been missing. You get it near him and he catches it. Inman has joined TY and Doyle as a legit, reliable 3rd down target for Luck. He has made a difference for the Colts, and barring injury, I look for him to be regarded as a key piece of the team's turnaround going forward. 

Inman has been one of my favorite pick ups and so late into the start of the season at that. If I were GM, I’d reach out to his camp and see about a 2 year contract at a reasonable contract. Maybe 3-5/yr and add in some incentives. He seems to be a solid #3 guy. Him, TY, Cain, Fountain, pascal, Rogers, Johnson and I’m forgetting someone but only TY, Cain are guaranteed to make this team next year. Grant was a 1 yr let’s look deal and he hasn’t separated himself from any of these other guys. Inman as you stated has stuck out and Johnson also looked reasonable in his short stint here before IR grabbed him too. 

We we are in good shape in the wr group next year imho. 

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

Grant is still getting about twice the snaps that he is, and it’s getting a little thin with the reasons why. Grant has been incredibly underwhelming since his arrival. Maybe even moreso than the DHB, Nicks, and Johnson signings before him. 

I think seeing more of Inman and less of Grant would be better for the offense as a whole, honestly. 

A similar thing happened with Aiken last season...where inexplicably kept getting the bulk of WR snaps.

Inman has been impressive.  Trust takes time, hence the lowers nap count.  If things continue as are, I would think he'd take over as #2 wr.  

But honestly, with the time Andrew is getting, I think we would've OK with most any half competent wr. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

A similar thing happened with Aiken last season...where inexplicably kept getting the bulk of WR snaps.

I forgot all about him. And he was the latest in the bunch. 

Then again, no Luck, Pagano crawling to his end... I’ll just give him a pass. 

The difference between the situations I guess is that Aiken really wasn’t keeping a potentially better player off the field. 

Inman is the 2nd best wide receiver on the Colts if you ask me.

2 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I don't think that he's worse then DHB, Nicks, and Johnson.  

DHB dropped the ball when he was wide open on multiple occasions.  

Nicks and Johnson where I think paid more money and just couldn't get open and disappeared.  

Ryan Grant's been a disappointment but I don't think he's completely disappeared.  He's just not making any more or bigger catches then the likes of Chester Rodgers and Zach Pascal.

I agree Inman should be getting more snaps than Grant.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I forgot all about him. And he was the latest in the bunch. 

Then again, no Luck, Pagano crawling to his end... I’ll just give him a pass. 

The difference between the situations I guess is that Aiken really wasn’t keeping a potentially better player off the field. 

Debatable. Moncrief, despite being perenially underachieiving, was still playing much better....and had long-term implications.

Aiken was arguably the worst WR in the NFL last season...he was that bad. And he still kept getting snaps and targets. He was even the first read on many plays. 

This team did give Brissett a chance to play year...but did not do him a ton of favors on top of that, Ballard included. They gave him few weapons to work with...and did almost nothing to address the OL (which got him killed along with the playcalling). Let's not act like last season was about winning games on offense...which is what helped put them in such an advantageous position last March and April.

If I am Brissett...I am looking forward to being traded this offseason.

8 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Debatable. Moncrief, despite being perenially underachieiving, was still playing much better....and had long-term implications.

Aiken was arguably the worst WR in the NFL last season...he was that bad. And he still kept getting snaps and targets. He was even the first read on many plays. 

This team did give Brissett a chance to play year...but did not do him a ton of favors on top of that, Ballard included. They gave him few weapons to work with...and did almost nothing to address the OL (which got him killed along with the playcalling). Let's not act like last season was about winning games on offense...which is what helped put them in such an advantageous position last March and April.

If I am Brissett...I am looking forward to being traded this offseason.

Debatable at best. Moncrief’s injuries kept him off the field plenty, but even when they didn’t he was (and still is) inconsistent. He would make a difficult play and then drop a bunch of simple ones. There certainly wasn’t the need to see more of Moncrief the way there is to see more of Inman. 

I would say he reminds me of what Reggie could do for Andrew.

Our offense attacks making  the D make quick decisions that creates space.

Mr. Inman is quick to his spot as needed, and offers a very nice catch radius and some fine hands. He could do his job in this offense at a very effective level for several years to come.
 And he was effective at San Diego when Reich was there. Glad he is here now.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I would say he reminds me of what Reggie could do for Andrew.

Our offense attacks making  the D make quick decisions that creates space.

Mr. Inman is quick to his spot as needed, and offers a very nice catch radius and some fine hands. He could do his job in this offense at a very effective level for several years to come.
 And he was effective at San Diego when Reich was there. Glad he is here now.

Reminds me of Reggie too!

15 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Debatable at best. Moncrief’s injuries kept him off the field plenty, but even when they didn’t he was (and still is) inconsistent. He would make a difficult play and then drop a bunch of simple ones. There certainly wasn’t the need to see more of Moncrief the way there is to see more of Inman. 

True...I just can't see any reason for Kamar Aiken to have been playing over any WR like he was...other than the fact that they sunk some money into him. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

True...I just can't see any reason for Kamar Aiken to have been playing over any WR like he was...other than the fact that they sunk some money into him. 

He had the one good year with the Ravens.   Actually a very good year. 

Too bad he couldn't replicate it here. 

image.png.fc2529088d3c9035b092bc6702a84129.png

13 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

As Myles said, he had a great year with the Ravens and I think they expected him to break out here even more. 

The thing about last year is who else would we have played in his spot? We had Moncrief (who I’d bet Ballard had already made his mind up on letting go) and Rogers. There was no real sense that someone on the bench could offer more than Aiken, especially considering what he had done with the Ravens. 

Just now, Myles said:

He had the one good year with the Ravens.   Actually a very good year. 

Too bad he couldn't replicate it here. 

image.png.fc2529088d3c9035b092bc6702a84129.png

True...but that was two seasons before he got here. And it was apparent very early on that they weren't getting anything close to that player. Just look at that catch %-...ugh.

I wasn't a huge fan of signing him...but I didn't mind adding him as depth. Just hated that how was being a focus point of the offense.

But that also goes back to lack of talent and depth at WR. Hopefully, that is remedied this offseason. I am ready to stop taking the discount route at WR. Would love to see them sign someone that can play AND draft one of the top guys in the 2nd round...but I will happily settle for just drafting one.

The way I see it...Hilton, a top tier rookie...maybe Inman/vet FA...and then Rogers/Cain/Fountain/Pascal battle for roster spots. 

I would love to enter camp with 6 deep at WR and have a decision to make.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

As Myles said, he had a great year with the Ravens and I think they expected him to break out here even more. 

The thing about last year is who else would we have played in his spot? We had Moncrief (who I’d bet Ballard had already made his mind up on letting go) and Rogers. There was no real sense that someone on the bench could offer more than Aiken, especially considering what he had done with the Ravens. 

True...there was a lack of depth at WR....which made it even worse. But in that scenario, you go out and get someone off the street or via trade in that scenario...much like Ballard did with Inman this year.  

You don't keep him using as your WR2 through the first two months of the season...when it's clear he is awful. Whatever sense there was that he was the best option was long gone. Yet, Aiken got more targets than Moncrief through the first two months. 

And even when Rogers was activated in mid October, Aiken still started for another month. If not for injuring his hamstring, he probably would have still kept starting over Rogers. But Rogers had that big game against PIT (with Aiken out) and that was basically the end of the Aiken era...as they finally (and merficully) stopped throwing him the ball. 

Another example of the position Brissett was in. Could you imagine if Aiken was on this year's team? Luck would have put an end to that % immediately...and Aiken would have found himself gone or on the bench after a few weeks. 

Inman would make a great #3 receiver for the next couple years. Unfortunately, this years draft is looking weak on WRs and we will need to get warm bodies to fill in the best they can.  I personally would sign depth again and try to develop who we have and see if the college ranks can produce a good crop again. 

8 hours ago, Hoose said:

That grab in the endzone was incredible.  Very nice hands and good concentration.  He got hit pretty hard.

8 hours ago, chad72 said:

May I cue in my recommendation of Inman when Deon Cain suffered his season ending injury way back in August : :) 

Many of us on this board were wanting Inman. Nice to see we were right. He is playing really well and has gained good continuity with Luck.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I wouldn't compare Grant to DHB, Nicks or Johnson.   We expected all 3 of them to come in and be very productive for us, but none of them wore (Nicks and Johnson had too much wear on their tires and DHB just wasn't good for us).  Grant came in to be a role player and, IMO, didn't have near the same expectations placed on him as the other guys.

8 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Inman is the 2nd best wide receiver on the Colts if you ask me.

I don't think that he's worse then DHB, Nicks, and Johnson.  

DHB dropped the ball when he was wide open on multiple occasions.  

Nicks and Johnson where I think paid more money and just couldn't get open and disappeared.  

Ryan Grant's been a disappointment but I don't think he's completely disappeared.  He's just not making any more or bigger catches then the likes of Chester Rodgers and Zach Pascal.

I agree Inman should be getting more snaps than Grant.  

Also, keep in mind -- Grant was brought into compete for snaps in this offense.  DHB, Nicks and Johnson were all expected to be sure-fire #1 or #2 WRs and expected to produce at high levels.  They were all overpaid, as well.  Grant was brought in to fill a small role on this team, and he's doing basically what was expected of him.  

Grant's best year (last year) he had 45 receptions, 573 yards and 4 TDs.  This year he's on pace for 46 receptions, 460+ yards and 2+ TDs.  Basically producing at the level he was brought in to produce at and similar to what we could expect of him at his ceiling.

A. Johnson came into Indy coming off years of 112, 109, and 85 catches and he had 41 for us.  Grigson overpaid a guy who had near nothing left in his tank.  Despite coming off injury, I think we all expected Nicks to be a ~1,000 yard WR for us.. he got us 405 yards.  I think many expected DHB to be a ~1,000 yard WR for us (especially after all Irsay's hype/tweeting) and he had 309 for us... They were all major busts... Grant's doing more or less what was expected of him coming into Indy.

1 hour ago, jchandler7 said:

Many of us on this board were wanting Inman. Nice to see we were right. He is playing really well and has gained good continuity with Luck.

Inman is why I do not think we should use one of our 2 #2 picks on wr. I think we should get a top wr from FA (and Inman could be our #3) or let Inman be #2 unless cain can beat him out of it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I bet it goes that way moving forward. 

• Like 1