Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How do we beat the titans

Stephen

On 11/16/2018 at 5:16 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Colts will win but not before they give everyone an ulcer because our Defense will give up points to make it interesting, we need at least 27 to win this game. I can see something like 27-24 or 30-27 like last weeks game. They have a better Offense than the Jags do.

jags got better D , We are (Offensively good) , so I think " not an easy win but we will do it" W

• Like 1

On 11/15/2018 at 8:30 PM, stitches said:

The Titans had a TON of success while blitzing last week vs the Pats from different alignments and with different blitzers (a lot of ILB blitzes) and I expect them to try to shake our offensive line with some of those. They are one of the defenses that blitzes the most in the NFL. I'm not super worried about that since I trust Andrew to find the open man when he faces the blitz, but still worth pointing out. Also - Kevin Byard has been one of the best safeties in the league last two years and it's going to interesting to see if he's going to be able to take away some of our TEs and more specifically Ebron. 

What I'm most worried about is our defense. I'm not sure we can do enough to stop them and Mariota has been steadily getting better. 

More blitz = More open areas which Luck is so sharp at , so I think they will nor go for it very often 

On 11/16/2018 at 6:41 AM, Rally5 said:

Since you're not getting many intelligent answers to your questions here's a few honest thoughts.

First, like a good Belichick disciple, Vrabel will take away our best offensive weapon of late, which is Ebron.  Reich being smart, will likely feature Doyle this game so I expect to see a lot go Jack's way as a preventative countermeasure.  Second, I expect to see us get serious about the run game again, we can win through the air, no doubt, but Coach will want to establish the threat of the run game to set up so deep strikes and keep the pressure off Andrew, so I would expect to see some shots deep and a corresponding return of the Mack!  Final point on offense is the longer we stay on the field the better given our defense has hard time getting off it which again points to committing to the run game. 

As for defense, we have to get to the passer, perhaps we blitz more this game than in previous tilts.  Mariota is not a prolific passer so when you do blitz it can open up running lanes depending on the coverage.  So I don't expect to see us suddenly blitzing like crazy but if Mariota is 12-15 for 150 at the half I can see us sending some athletes at him in the second half.  I also expect to see us rotate the DLine as much as possible, perhaps we can generate more pressure with fresher legs like we did early in the year.  

Something like that would be my formula. All that said, I really have no idea what will actually happen. :) 

I agree, we will have to pound the rock and dominate them.  They have an athletic but lighter linebacking core.

• Like 1

One thing that gives me confidence on Offense is play calling. Should Tennessee make some stops, I think Reich &Co. will make adjustments.

Defensively, losing  Hooker hurts but having Mike Mitchell (or perhaps Corey Moore, Odum or Quincy Wilson?), opposite Geathers may be enough. 

I’m not sure this defense is as void of talent as some believe. Could they use help from the draft? Absolutely! But so much of the “bad defense” I’m seeing is penalties and guys out of position. If they are to keep winning, the defense has to be better. And I believe we will start to see that happening Sunday.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

One thing that gives me confidence on Offense is play calling. Should Tennessee make some stops, I think Reich &Co. will make adjustments.

Defensively, losing  Hooker hurts but having Mike Mitchell (or perhaps Corey Moore, Odum or Quincy Wilson?), opposite Geathers may be enough. 

I’m not sure this defense is as void of talent as some believe. Could they use help from the draft? Absolutely! But so much of the “bad defense” I’m seeing is penalties and guys out of position. If they are to keep winning, the defense has to be better. And I believe we will start to see that happening Sunday.

I Agree DP most show up and make plays 

3 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Honestly, i just want to see that roll of hair coming out of the back of Derrick Henry's helmet.  Looks like a turd.

I was very aggravated when I seen a player penalized for grabbing a RBs hair.   I figure if they have it hanging there, then is should be considered a part of their body and be fair game.

12 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Man, I sure hope your right because this defense going to have to step up big time for us to continue to win. Because this game is going to be a dogfight. 

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

Troy Polamalu anyone??? :) 

I agree!

On 11/16/2018 at 7:41 AM, Rally5 said:

Since you're not getting many intelligent answers to your questions here's a few honest thoughts.

First, like a good Belichick disciple, Vrabel will take away our best offensive weapon of late, which is Ebron.  Reich being smart, will likely feature Doyle this game so I expect to see a lot go Jack's way as a preventative countermeasure.  Second, I expect to see us get serious about the run game again, we can win through the air, no doubt, but Coach will want to establish the threat of the run game to set up so deep strikes and keep the pressure off Andrew, so I would expect to see some shots deep and a corresponding return of the Mack!  Final point on offense is the longer we stay on the field the better given our defense has hard time getting off it which again points to committing to the run game. 

As for defense, we have to get to the passer, perhaps we blitz more this game than in previous tilts.  Mariota is not a prolific passer so when you do blitz it can open up running lanes depending on the coverage.  So I don't expect to see us suddenly blitzing like crazy but if Mariota is 12-15 for 150 at the half I can see us sending some athletes at him in the second half.  I also expect to see us rotate the DLine as much as possible, perhaps we can generate more pressure with fresher legs like we did early in the year.  

Something like that would be my formula. All that said, I really have no idea what will actually happen. :) 

I love your post because you touch some very good points that we should consider. But I also love it because it's honest because none of us really know what's going to happen which is what makes this game so great. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Myles said:

I was very aggravated when I seen a player penalized for grabbing a RBs hair.   I figure if they have it hanging there, then is should be considered a part of their body and be fair game.

It's not a penalty is it? I'm sure I've seen people blatantly tackle by the hair and not be penalized 

28 minutes ago, Myles said:

I've seen it called.  I think they called a horse collar.

Just had a quick Google and it's completely legal. Jadevon Clowney tackled Chris Ivory last month in yhat way apparently and correctly wasn't flagged.

If you've seen it called it was either in collage football or an incorrect call by the officials.

• Like 2

"Well that went poorly!".  -- Mr. Incredible, Incredibles 2

Talk about a day where everything went badly, from the offense reverting to the beginning of the season, no protection of Mariota which led to a re-aggravation of his elbow (hopefully not serious), the defense completely no-showing and not getting to Luck at all (yes they were out there all day but even in the 1st quarter they were bad).  Even the special teams gave up a big play and was a penalty away from a TD.

See you guys at the end of the season, maybe for rights to a wild card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2018 at 7:41 AM, Rally5 said:

Not bad....fairly close aye?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sevenfeet said:

"Well that went poorly!".  -- Mr. Incredible, Incredibles 2

Talk about a day where everything went badly, from the offense reverting to the beginning of the season, no protection of Mariota which led to a re-aggravation of his elbow (hopefully not serious), the defense completely no-showing and not getting to Luck at all (yes they were out there all day but even in the 1st quarter they were bad).  Even the special teams gave up a big play and was a penalty away from a TD.

See you guys at the end of the season, maybe for rights to a wild card.

We're looking to win the division.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

It's not illegal to tackle pulling the hair.   It's a big reason edge lost the dreads later in his career

Correct sir. The hair they say is part of the jersey. Or I forget how they explained it. 

I would seriously yank down everyone with long hair

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I was actually more worried about this game more so than the Jags. Boy was I wrong.

It was only natural to be concerned with this game after what the Titans did to New England last week.  I was also concerned and said the Colts would pull out a win 24-23.

• Thanks 1

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

It was only natural to be concerned with this game after what the Titans did to New England last week.  I was also concerned and said the Colts would pull out a win 24-23.

They just have to keep the pedal down, and not get cocky. They're playing amazing football at the right time.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2018 at 2:14 AM, colt18 said:

If we show up on offense and defense, I think we will win.

I'm just not quite sure this team is up to the task. I was very impressed by the Jags win, however there were several blown coverages and the second half offense was ugly. I like the speed and effort on our defense but there's been a few boneheaded plays that make me reserve my judgement (like the Moncrief TD, checkdowns that turn into first downs, lack of pass rush). I think our team has the coaching and talent to beat the Titans, but maybe not the experience and chemistry (yet). Honestly, if we win and make a serious push for the playoffs, we are overachieving in year 1 of this makeover and I'm here for it.

Well we did it. We showed up on both sides of the ball.

I like this team going forward.

37 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Only team I’m worried about as of today in the division is the Texans. Jags still need a top 30 qb

Texans will probably win the Division, they have the Football Gods on their side and win in OT or by 2 points every week lmao. But I give us a 50% chance of getting that final WildCard spot. Right now for the final spot it is Colts, Bengals, Ravens, Titans, and Dolphins all at 5-5 for that spot. As long as we get in, that is all I want for this year. You know since media dopes has us going 2-14 and said Andrew had a noodle arm and was done :funny:

• Like 2