Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

did anyone hear Polian ? chill people

love the shoe

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Yep. I'm also a believer that a lot of FA may have been turned off from here anyway with the unknown of a first year head coach, OC and DC and a franchise QB just returning from 18 months off.

hard to attract guys to the team under that umbrella. 

It all comes down to money$$$$$$

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

why wouldn't he come here? In our division?

???. 

I thought I was clear.  If he was foregoing the NYG to win, he would go to a team with a better shot than here, IMO.   To a team looking for a vet to get into the SB, not to just win a crappie division.

The point is, not spending cap dollars now on good players just to wait and see if better players become available later seems like a gamble to me.  I'm not saying that's what CB is doing.  I'm reading others saying that's what he's doing and I just don't see the logic.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Who

Melvin for one. 

Just now, SaturdayAllDay said:

Reportedly Rashaan Melvin and Ryan Jensen this year, as well as Dontari Poe last yr, just off the top of my head. 

And Hankins asked to be released, forfeiting his 8 mil a year salary. He's still unsigned

pretty much on to next  year at this point, but im not hoping for all out tanking or anything

the funny thing is how many winnable games we still have on the schedule.  the raiders, bills, giants and colts are probably the worst teams in the league and we play all of them 

our division  isnt looking that great right now either 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Yep. I'm also a believer that a lot of FA may have been turned off from here anyway with the unknown of a first year head coach, OC and DC and a franchise QB just returning from 18 months off.

hard to attract guys to the team under that umbrella. 

Yes Indy is NOT a popular destination site for FA's. Which is why colts sometimes need to significantly offer more than other teams for a players service.

Just now, SaturdayAllDay said:

Reportedly Rashaan Melvin and Ryan Jensen this year, as well as Dontari Poe last yr, just off the top of my head. 

Jensen was still is a Center, Poe fits best in a 3-4 and Melvin would have stayed for more $ guaranteed, however the switch to zone may have contributed to his exit. Just my two cents. 

22 minutes ago, DougDew said:

It will be interesting to see if they become available, or the teams cut other players to extend them. 

I can't see the NYG letting Collins go in order to save space for whoever else they have, unless they go total rebuilding mode and cut everyone just because they don't see a point to spending any money on any player when they can't win.

And if Collins wants to forego the NYG because he wants to be with a winner, he ain't coming here either.

Our hope would be after OBJ contract giants would have trouble signing him 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Polian is correct. 

The problem is Marvin, Wayne, Clark, Edge, not to mention Glenn, were all first round picks. 

So Polian is saying we need five more years before we have the team we need.

We may have needed only three more years if we didn't use high picks on a FS and a G.

Two more if we didn't use one on a center as well. 

Agree with your point. It's hardly a surprise that we lack play makers at the crucial positions when we've focused our strategy on getting our best players in positions that have little impact on the result of the game.

Our defense especially is so devoid of talent that any semi-competent QB can just sit there and pick us apart.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

Jensen was still is a Center, Poe fits best in a 3-4 and Melvin would have stayed for more $ guaranteed, however the switch to zone may have contributed to his exit. Just my two cents. 

Poe -We were a 3-4 when we reportedly offered significantly more for Poe's services.

Melvin -We reportedly offered Melvin more guaranteed money than he took. Our offer was supposedly 10m vs the 6.5m he ended up taking. 

Jensen- just proved the point that money isnt everything. Jensen reportedly took less money so that he could play his prefered position. 

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

???. 

I thought I was clear.  If he was foregoing the NYG to win, he would go to a team with a better shot than here, IMO.   To a team looking for a vet to get into the SB, not to just win a crappie division.

The point is, not spending cap dollars now on good players just to wait and see if better players become available later seems like a gamble to me.  I'm not saying that's what CB is doing.  I'm reading others saying that's what he's doing and I just don't see the logic.  

I believe spending $$$ now for players that really can't get you to the upper echelon is the 8-8 mentality.
 You have burned valuable cash, draft picks, draft position, for mediocrity.
That seems illogical. 
 It takes many quality players on first year contracts to build a sustained SB contender.
Yes it is a shame we don't have that roster built already. Though many here are Clueless about this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Two more if we didn't use one on a center as well. 

Agree with your point. It's hardly a surprise that we lack play makers at the crucial positions when we've focused our strategy on getting our best players in positions that have little impact on the result of the game.

Our defense especially is so devoid of talent that any semi-competent QB can just sit there and pick us apart.

Oh yes.  This isn't a Ballard thing.  Taking a C at #18 is a luxury.  The only thing with that is, we had so much trouble finding a C after Saturday, it was kind of understandable to pick one then.  But yes, two more years of ignoring positional value set the rebuild back, IMO. 

Three years in a row of ignoring positional value could have as much negative impact as a bad pick like Werner had or the TRich trade.  It puts a team in the position of having to spend the next few drafts recovering from it. 

3 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Poe -We were a 3-4 when we reportedly offered significantly more for Poe's services.

Melvin -We reportedly offered Melvin more guaranteed money than he took. Our offer was supposedly 10m vs the 6.5m he ended up taking. 

Jensen- just proved the point that money isnt everything. Jensen reportedly took less money so that he could play his prefered position. 

I guess Ballard better draft well then, seeing nobody wants to sign with the Colts.

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

I believe spending $$$ now for players that really can't get you to the upper echelon is the 8-8 mentality.
That seems illogical. 
 It takes many quality players on first year contracts to build a sustained SB contender.
Yes it is a shame we don't have that roster built already. Though many here are Clueless about this.

When you have $50 mill in space how valuable is the extra 2 to get the young G?

Who of our upcoming free agents will that extra 2 mil to Jensen or Norwell prevent us from signing?

You can't have high picks at every position, or else it will take 22 years to build an O and a D.  Draft well, stay true to positional value, and fill in the rest with mid-level FAs.

No reason you can't get the mid level guys a year or two before drafting the impact guys.

Instead, here's what we seem to be doing: Including the last Grigs pick of Kelly at C, then a FS, then a G, we're drafting non impactful players with impactful draft positions and then, apparently, going to rely upon free agency to buy our impactful players. 

I can't see where anybody here thinks that's a good idea.

2 hours ago, love the shoe said:

Polian said this team was heading in the right direction but lacked playmakers like Marvin . Reg and Clark and Edge , we have to be patient , on the other hand he thinks the defense is improved but lacking talent also , man you guys below wanting peoples head aready with so many players hurt , I can guarantee you Rodgers wont be starting when he gets his players in here he wants , I just don't get all the fans that didn't see this season being like this after trying to clean Grigs mess up 

GRIGSON :facepalm: 

12 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I guess Ballard better draft well then, seeing nobody wants to sign with the Colts.

We are definitely not the top destination, but I think Luck looking closer to his old self should help. The uncertainty around him and the new coaching staff didnt help bring guys in the door. Hopefully we can show something that makes people think we are trending up (and really the only reason I hope we dont full on tank the rest of the year). 

43 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I haven't seen anything like that.   Link?

That'd be a bad trade. #6 is worth a lot more than a #12...not the same as going down from 106 to 112.

In hindsight if we made the trade...I'd go for Daron Payne and Will Hernandez with those 2 picks, possibly Tremaine Edmunds at #12 also.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

When you have $50 mill in space how valuable is the extra 2 to get the young G?

Who of our upcoming free agents will that extra 2 mil to Jensen or Norwell prevent us from signing?

You can't have high picks at every position, or else it will take 22 years to build an O and a D.  Draft well, stay true to positional value, and fill in the rest with mid-level FAs.

No reason you can't get the mid level guys a year or two before drafting the impact guys.

Instead, here's what we seem to be doing: Including the last Grigs pick of Kelly at C, then a FS, then a G, we're drafting non impactful players with impactful draft positions and then, apparently, going to rely upon free agency to buy our impactful players. 

I can't see where anybody here thinks that's a good idea.

I think u offer some really good points.  However, I am not sure bout your stance on the FS.  Earl Thomas and Eric Berry, when healthy, had a great impact on their defense.  Some would say they were the D's most valuable players

When you are starting from scratch, and make no mistake the Colts were, you build the lines first.  Ask ANY football front office guy and they will tell you that.  That's why they drafted an OL in the first round.  Now if you wanna argue they should have stayed pat and selected Chubb at DE, I can't argue with that.  Fact is either is doing it the right way because both are valid.  But if you really believe they should have selected a WR or RB over Nelson, after Luck was nearly maimed due to poor protection, then we aren't speaking the same language.  Ballard had to start SOMEWHERE, and Nelson was considered as safe a pick as there was in the entire draft.  I believe we will see a DE high in this next draft (if they are deemed worthy).

12 hours ago, DougDew said:

Polian is correct. 

The problem is Marvin, Wayne, Clark, Edge, not to mention Glenn, were all first round picks. 

So Polian is saying we need five more years before we have the team we need.

We may have needed only three more years if we didn't use high picks on a FS and a G.

If thats the case hopefully Luck wont be totally trashed by the time the Colts reach that point.

Ryan Grigson ....the gift that keeps on giving.

I'm still really wanting them to bring Reece Fountain up from the PS.   And I'd go ahead and give Zach Pascal the axe.  We can move Chester Rogers to the KR or just cut him in total also.  I wish we could get a lineup of Hilton, Grant, Fountain, Ishmael and Johnson to be honest.  Don't know what we'd do at KR and PR but I'm just sick of the Chester Rogers and Pascal act right now to be honest.   The lineup I'm suggesting gives us a much better size and speed blend along with guys who can body up on people. I'm just going off gut feel here but I just know I'm right with this.   I think we can start playing some ball with that lineup.  I'll be interested to see what kind of moves Ballard is going to make.  Hopefully he sees it my way because I know he's cut throat when he believes a move or two need to be made.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

That seems illogical. 

id rather be 8-8 tbh.  the rams our one of the best teams in the league and they had a lot of mediocre seasons

9 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

When you are starting from scratch, and make no mistake the Colts were, you build the lines first.  Ask ANY football front office guy and they will tell you that.  That's why they drafted an OL in the first round.  Now if you wanna argue they should have stayed pat and selected Chubb at DE, I can't argue with that.  Fact is either is doing it the right way because both are valid.  But if you really believe they should have selected a WR or RB over Nelson, after Luck was nearly maimed due to poor protection, then we aren't speaking the same language.  Ballard had to start SOMEWHERE, and Nelson was considered as safe a pick as there was in the entire draft.  I believe we will see a DE high in this next draft (if they are deemed worthy).

there wasnt a WR or running back on the board worthy of that pick, so its kind of moot.  i would been fine with either if there was