2 (52) Kemoko Turay, Edge, Rutgers, 78.4

2 (64) Tyquan Lewis, Edge, Ohio State, 80.3

4 (104) Nyheim Hines, RB, NC State, 89.6

5 (159) Daurice Fountain, WR, Northern Iowa, n/a

5 (169) Jordan Wilkins, RB, Ole Miss, 85.6

6 (185) Deon Cain, WR, Clemson, 78.2

7 (221) Matthew Adams, LB, Houston, 77.5

7 (235) Zaire Franklin, LB, Syracuse, 83.0

I not a great fan of PFF but they seem to like it. 

CB did a really good job at finding players to fit the scheme.

I would give him an A - this is the kind of draft we needed back in AL12's second year

I love the Wilkins and Cain picks - they will be good players. 

More explaination from PFF here https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-all-32-nfl-teams-2018-nfl-draft-grades

• Like 2

I'm gonna give it a B+ . Mainly cause I think we reached a little with the trade up and who we took with it. That said, I really like Ballards approach of taking multiple guys at positions of need. This creates competition and hedges the bets in case one of the picks doesn't pan out. 

any grades now are premature, but I liked his moves and thought that through the first 4 rounds, he picked good players and strong scheme fits.  Moreover, he stuck to his strategy, speed and trenches. What’s better, is most the guys I had a strong interest in through those 4 rounds ended up being Colts draftees.  

After round 4 It seemed he went after higher ceiling prospects who might be nothing, but if they hit, are starters, with the exception of the 7th round but only because I know nothing of the,. Based on what the NFL analysts said, they sounded like scheme and philosophical fits at bare minimum.

• Like 2

You can't rate these players on what they did in college, until they get in the game nobody knows. How many late round picks have turned into superstars, and how many top 10 can't miss guys have busted out. I give our draft no grade until regular season action actually gives us a benchmark.

• Like 2

The only thing that I really wish he hadn’t done was taken 2 RB. We have Mack, and Turbin is coming back. Matt Jones is floating around somewhere in this galaxy under contract with us. Seems every time that subject comes up we get the “he’s in our plans” talk. Don’t we also have Christine Michael too? 

Seems to me we have enough bodies floating around that we didn’t need to spend two picks on more. 

I really wanted to draft DJ Chark. I think there was a lot of upside to him. I think with a good QB at he would have been a much more impressive prospect. I also wanted Shaquem Griffin. 

I’m just a little perplexed because Ballard has previously talked about BPA being his strategy, but I don’t think that was exactly the case with this draft. I think he made his picks based on a correlation between need and BPA. Which is fine, just not what I was expecting. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, threeflight said:

Both Sports Illustrated and USA Today gave the Colts a C-, saying they reached on most picks and did not get the quality they should have with so many picks.  That was the lowest of any grade I saw.

I can't argue.

But according to some, they are just whiners. Saying the Colts reached is whining.

One thing to keep in mind: Ballard might not have reached according to his draft board.

A GM is not bound by the media consensus on where a player is ranked in the draft. 

Not saying we can’t all have our opinions, we can, but if you had seen Ballard’s draft board and had the intel he has, then maybe, just maybe, it would make greater sense. 

And nobody have played a down in the NFL yet.

We’re kinda judging in the dark, IMHO.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, John Waylon said:

The only thing that I really wish he hadn’t done was taken 2 RB. We have Mack, and Turbin is coming back. Matt Jones is floating around somewhere in this galaxy under contract with us. Seems every time that subject comes up we get the “he’s in our plans” talk. Don’t we also have Christine Michael too? 

Seems to me we have enough bodies floating around that we didn’t need to spend two picks on more. 

I really wanted to draft DJ Chark. I think there was a lot of upside to him. I think with a good QB at he would have been a much more impressive prospect. I also wanted Shaquem Griffin. 

I’m just a little perplexed because Ballard has previously talked about BPA being his strategy, but I don’t think that was exactly the case with this draft. I think he made his picks based on a correlation between need and BPA. Which is fine, just not what I was expecting. 

To be fair - look at last years Eagles team - they had about 4 RBs that contributed to the offense. 

Seems Reich will want to implement the same kind of system. 

We got the Bruiser (turbin) the Blazer (Mack) the pass catcher (Hines) and the bell cow (Wilkins) 

Matt Jones is on ice right now - he has never really showed that much on the field. And he fumbles a bit. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

You can't rate these players on what they did in college, until they get in the game nobody knows. How many late round picks have turned into superstars, and how many top 10 can't miss guys have busted out. I give our draft no grade until regular season action actually gives us a benchmark.

Thats true - but it is good to see peoples opinions now on the draft compared to the actual results 3 years down the line. 

9 hours ago, egg said:

They conclude their grading of each team with: below average, average, above average, good, or elite.

They judged the Colt's draft to be average. 

I am curious how they come up with their overall grades.  With just a cursory look, it doesn't look like it's an average of the player grades.  Also, how do they not have grades on some of these players, it's not like they are all from obscure programs.

The draft itself was fine.  But over the whole off-season we left glaring holes on the roster that have not been patched up.  Who is going to play CB other then Wilson?

The only decent between the tackles runner we have is maybe Matt Jones

20 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

The draft itself was fine.  But over the whole off-season we left glaring holes on the roster that have not been patched up.  Who is going to play CB other then Wilson?

Desir

16 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Desir

That seemed obvious to me and I don't think there were many guys in this draft that'd change that. He looked the part last year. I want to see how Hairston and Moore have come a long too. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Keep in mind, the offseason is far from over. 

UDFAs and castoffs from other teams could fill in some remaining holes, depth in the secondary being one. 

8 hours ago, threeflight said:

Both Sports Illustrated and USA Today gave the Colts a C-, saying they reached on most picks and did not get the quality they should have with so many picks.  That was the lowest of any grade I saw.

I can't argue.

Here's the reality:  in January, had someone done an offseason prediction thread, using exactly what the Colts ended up doing with their 80 million in free agency and exactly who they took in the draft, they would have been laughed at.  Seriously.  Yet, once it's finished, the fan comes out, the rationalizing begins and it receives mostly A and B grades.   

Who knows if it will be a good draft.  When it comes to the draft, it's all a crapshoot anyway.  The good thing - you had a lot of picks.  You're bound to hit on a few.

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Wilson pierre haiston. As the top three

15 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

What’s funny is that if they all gave the Colts all A ratings then we would be calling them all geniuses, but since they are being critical they don’t know what they are talking about. 

They never do that lol