Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard - The "GM"

Reality Check

While he lit up the sky as a marketer/cheerleader yesterday at his presser, the upcoming weeks & months will reveal to us where his GM skills are at.

The fact remains that HE CHOSE McD to be his HC.  In hindsight, is it fair to say that he avoided a huge mistake when  McD backed out?  Ballard's ability to judge one's character could be a red flag moving forward ... or we might see that he has learned a big lesson from this ordeal.  Time will tell....

Now is when we begin to see his abilities as an NFL GM.  Here is a short list of the "significant" issues he must confront, given where things currently stand.  These do not include all of the "regular responsibilities" that other GM's must also address this off-season...

- A good HC is needed immediately!

- Asst coaches/staff are still needed for the HC. My guess is that Ballard will be part of these decisions?...

- MAJOR decisions to be made based on Luck's health.  The fact is that Luck just got an extension which forces the Colts to hitch their wagons to him in the short term.  My understanding is that it would cost the Colts ~$18mil (in dead cap money) if they were to let him go. This would really handcuff the organization if Ballard does not handle things correctly.

- a draft board needs to be established based on the type of offense & defense being installed by the new coordinators/HC.  Without input rom these 3 guys, essentially, all CB can do is evaluate talent for now.

CONCLUSION: While he has taken some big steps towards establishing "culture" for the Colts.  He has yet to make any decisions to yield better results ON THE FIELD.

Like most of you, CB left a positive impression with me up to this point but, let's face it, he has A LOT OF MAJOR DECISIONS to make with regards to the (fast-approaching) upcoming season. I will be watching very closely to see his approach in these areas.  If his decision making is anything like Grigson's, where will the Colt's be in 3yrs?

What y'all say/think?....

10 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

Oh stop it ....NOTHING about my OP is "trolling".  It is simply meant to promote a discussion about where/how Ballard goes from here!

How does someone with 81 posts become an "authority" around here?  LOL

never said anything about being an authority? lmao

2 hours ago, Reality Check said:

While he lit up the sky as a marketer/cheerleader yesterday at his presser, the upcoming weeks & months will reveal to us where his GM skills are at.

The fact remains that HE CHOSE McD to be his HC.  In hindsight, is it fair to say that he avoided a huge mistake when  McD backed out?  Ballard's ability to judge one's character could be a red flag moving forward ... or we might see that he has learned a big lesson from this ordeal.  Time will tell....

Now is when we begin to see his abilities as an NFL GM.  Here is a short list of the "significant" issues he must confront, given where things currently stand.  These do not include all of the "regular responsibilities" that other GM's must also address this off-season...

- Asst coaches/staff are still needed for the HC. My guess is that Ballard will be part of these decisions?...

- MAJOR decisions to be made based on Luck's health.  The fact is that Luck just got an extension which forces the Colts to hitch their wagons to him in the short term.  My understanding is that it would cost the Colts ~$18mil (in dead cap money) if they were to let him go. This would really handcuff the organization if Ballard does not handle things correctly.

- a draft board needs to be established based on the type of offense & defense being installed by the new coordinators/HC.  Without input rom these 3 guys, essentially, all CB can do is evaluate talent for now.

CONCLUSION: While he has taken some big steps towards establishing "culture" for the Colts.  He has yet to make any decisions to yield better results ON THE FIELD.

Like most of you, CB left a positive impression with me up to this point but, let's face it, he has A LOT OF MAJOR DECISIONS to make with regards to the (fast-approaching) upcoming season. I will be watching very closely to see his approach in these areas.  If his decision making is anything like Grigson's, where will the Colt's be in 3yrs?

I've said this before and will say it again, he already made some good moves hitting on draft players last year (Hooker, Hairston, Mack, and possibly Wilson), and he cleaned house and brought in some good FAs in Hankins, Woods, Sheard, and Simon. These were on the field moves...more to come in a few months I'm sure.

40 minutes ago, P'Son said:

Still *-footing around about the health of Luck.  Seems like only yesterday Dakich had him scrambling from spilling the truth.  Time will tell...

Ummm...what do you or Dakich expect Ballard to say? He cannot conjecture and say anything more than the doctors have conveyed to him. He cannot say anything more, anything less. If Luck has a setback, people will pile on Ballard and Irsay. If Luck comes back but does not play well enough to lead us into the playoffs, people will question if he is 100%. If Luck comes back but has another surgery next off season, people will be here back to say "he should have had it last year". 

He will be blasted if he does, he will be blasted if he doesn't by Dakich because Dakich has a man crush on Grigson. Who brings a GM's agent on air to defend him? Only Dakich, that showed me he was personally invested in Grigson, never seen those in the Polian days, never will see that again.

Dakich is hell bent on just the health of Luck, through the mouth of Ballard or Irsay, he is just interested in the shock jock value of his questions, not the facts or hearing what the doctors said. Dakich is so obsessed that he was asking that NFL Insider Diane...whatever her last name is, again, if McDaniels did not come here because of the health of Luck because he does not trust Ballard when he said that? He wants to be so right that he is obsessed about it and would not acknowledge any fact that does not jive with his opinion, no matter how many times he hears it.

One thing Dakich will not acknowledge is Ryan Grigson was a big part of where Luck's health is right now with his failed OL moves and drafting that woke up in his last year but a few years too late, but that does not jive with his affection for Grigson, why would he? The Bill O' Reilly of sports talk radio. Yeah, I hear ya (if you say something I agree with), but I have the last word and no matter how right you may be, I hear what I want to hear and choose to have the last word because it is my show. 

47 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

I think hindsight is always 20/20. And therefore, I think you're being slightly unfair.

No one on this Earth has the ability to 100% judge everyone's character with absolute accuracy.

So I don't see any "red flags" with him in that regard.

What I did see in all of this was someone willing to give someone a second chance. And that speaks volumes more to me than making a mistake in judging McD-bag's character.

The guy took Ballard up on an initial interview. Weeks later he took him up again on a secondary interview. Then he agreed to terms with Ballard - in essence giving his word. Then the guy weasels out. That wasn't Ballard's fault.

Ballard followed all the right steps based upon the actions and words of the other half of this equation.

Is Ballard to blame technically? Sure why not - based on the virtue/technicality of him being the GM of the Colts organization.

Yeah, let's just say he made a big mistake here for S & G's - setting the team back somewhat. But, to me, Ballard hasn't done anything so egregious that it has shaken my faith in him righting the ship in very short order.

The real factor is not necessarily the HC but the ret of coordinators, most importantly the OC.

With Vikings, Giants, Eagles and Colts needing OC's this is why the HC needs to be selected soon regardless of what Ballard said yesterday.

We are taking a major chance on a quality OC being there by time the HC is decided. These other teams are not going to wait around for the Colts that's for sure.

Currently the only OC's left that are known of is Bevell, Defilippo and the QB coach from Minny. 

If it's Bevell, the Colts should hire him and force the HC to go along, like they are regarding other assistants already signed

41 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

Well he already has the DC hired and he clearly wants to move to a WC style offense based on the candidates he's interviewed so far and is scheduled to interview.  So that alone really gives him the ammo he needs to be able to properly setup his draft board.

38 minutes ago, P'Son said:

Still *-footing around about the health of Luck.  Seems like only yesterday Dakich had him scrambling from spilling the truth.  Time will tell...

how was he still *-footing around the health of Luck?  He was asked in his presser if Luck needed another surgery and he emphatically stated that Luck does not as of the latest report he got from Luck's private physicians.  

37 minutes ago, P'Son said:

Hold on, there is no truth to “spill” at this point.

Nobody knows for sure. Ballard can’t really do anything but wait on the results, you do understand this, right?

44 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

:sigh: Look we already have a show called The Walking Dead. We Don't Need the Walking Trolls!!:troll:

52 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

Oh,  for crying out loud!

Grow up!      Man up!      Grow a pair!

Chris Ballard has done nothing wrong.     What happened to the Colts this week is completely unprecidented.

There was no way to predict that Josh McDaniels would do what he did.     No freaking way.

Polian signed off on McDaneils.    So did Dungy.    So did Irsay.    And so did Ballard.      By the way,  so did the rest of the NFL.      McDaniels was a good hire and he would've done well here in Indianapolis.

But he got an offer he liked more and changed his mind.     The Colts got screwed.    This is NOT on Chris Ballard.   There was NO WAY to predict this.     No one in NFL circles is criticizing Chris Ballard.    But everyone is criticizing Josh McDaniels. 

Hopefully the NFL will award the Colts some type of compensation,  but I'm not holding my breath anymore.

Move on!     Life is hard and unfair and this time we're on the receiving end of it......

57 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

The list you have IS the regular duties of a GM.  Also,   0.0 % chance luck will be cut .  It doesn't matter what the dead money number is

1 hour ago, Reality Check said:

I’m going to remind you that he played a key role in drafting Marcus Peters who many considered untouchable in the first round or at all.  Not to mention I’ve said this before, McD fooled more people than just Ballard.  He fooled Dungy who gave Ballard a good assessment of McD.  He fooled Peter king who sat down with him.  McD is a snake who had claimed to have changed and put up a good front all the way to the end. 

1 minute ago, TheGreatManning18Fan said:

No matter how good you are there is no way to read somebody's intent unless you have some super power psychic ability

I know someone who fits that description...but she's not a football fan so...

lol

To add to my above post, of course it’s not going to show on the field... we had our most important player not play a down,  26 of the 53 man roster was new, and our coaching staff sucked.  The man had a decent draft despite not having his own team of talent evaluators.  He drafted last year with grigsons scouring and personnel department.. finally, we were in most games last year and lost a lot of them by a TD or less.  Our D was better but they played so many plays due to the ineptitude of the offense that by the end of the game they were gassed and couldn’t close it out. 

McDB is nothing more than a little lost homeless mutt with the mange who doesn't know what to do when he's out in the rain and wants to go home.

You feel sorry for him and wanna bring him in, but at the end of the day he's still a piece of crap.

I think this guy Reality Check is just trying to gin up some controversy. Well, mission accomplished. 

But to blame Ballard for the McDaniels fiasco is unfair. People with unquestioned integrity such as Tony Dungy vouched for McDaniels. Nobody saw this coming; almost everyone, including the local media, believed that Ryan McD. was a changed man; that he'd learned from his past and was ready to lead again. That he just needed this new opportunity to show what a great HC he could be. 

The fact that he turned out to be such a weasel by misleading the Colts, going back on his word, and completely screwing the assistants that had changed their lives based on his recruitment of them was not foreseeable. He fooled a boatload of people, including the coaching world, many of whom now hold him in total disrespect. 

The Colts got hung out to dry, pure and simple, by a guy who turned out to be far less of a man than they believed, and by another organization that has absolutely zero integrity. Do they win? Of course; they are the best at it, though I doubt for much longer.  Are they lowlifes who cheat right and left to get there? You bet. Did the Colts dodge a bullet by McD pulling his stunt? Methinks so. McD and the Pats deserve each other. Eventually they will rot together. 

So lets give our GM a break and let him do his work in this awful environment and hope he pulls a diamond out of this mess. He deserves our full support. But lets also not let posters like Reality Check get away with writing this crap. 

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

The real factor is not necessarily the HC but the ret of coordinators, most importantly the OC.

With Vikings, Giants, Eagles and Colts needing OC's this is why the HC needs to be selected soon regardless of what Ballard said yesterday.

We are taking a major chance on a quality OC being there by time the HC is decided. These other teams are not going to wait around for the Colts that's for sure.

Currently the only OC's left that are known of is Bevell, Defilippo and the QB coach from Minny. 

If it's Bevell, the Colts should hire him and force the HC to go along, like they are regarding other assistants already signed

There are thousands of coaches out there! How many colleges are their? How many highschools? There are coaches that none of know about, but I can assure you Ballard has a longer list than we know. He had been around quite awhile. Football is his life. He said in his presser “it’s just football” he can find a coach. He just needs time... I don’t care if he doesn’t have a coach till after the combine. I know when he does it will be the right one. I believe him. It’s going to take a few years to get me to budge on my belief in this man.. he asked me to be patient I will do that. I know he is there working on it right now. My football team is in good hands.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh,  for crying out loud!

Grow up!      Man up!      Grow a pair!

Chris Ballard has done nothing wrong.     What happened to the Colts this week is completely unprecidented.

There was no way to predict that Josh McDaniels would do what he did.     No freaking way.

Polian signed off on McDaneils.    So did Dungy.    So did Irsay.    And so did Ballard.      By the way,  so did the rest of the NFL.      McDaniels was a good hire and he would've done well here in Indianapolis.

But he got an offer he liked more and changed his mind.     The Colts got screwed.    This is NOT on Chris Ballard.   There was NO WAY to predict this.     No one in NFL circles is criticizing Chris Ballard.    But everyone is criticizing Josh McDaniels. 

Hopefully the NFL will award the Colts some type of compensation,  but I'm not holding my breath anymore.

Move on!     Life is hard and unfair and this time we're on the receiving end of it......

Wouldn't it be nice if that "compensation" would be Jim Harbaugh? Lol

1 hour ago, deedub75 said:

I like Ballard a lot but the jury is still out.  Nothing he's done so far says he is now or is going to be a great GM.  It's just way to early to tell.  

I agree.  I think he has done some good things and showed some admirable qualities.  He also thought hiring Josh McDaniels (with his checkered head coaching resume and cheating background) was a good idea and very easily could have lead this franchise down an unfortunate path had fate not intervened. (Thank God!)  So I have some questions about his character assessment skills.  I'm still in his corner but he has a lot of work to do. And right now is his proving ground.  Thus far, he is off to a rocky start to this off season and that's just being honest. Beautifully handled press conference though.  But then again...he really needed to nail it for damage control.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Ummm...what do you or Dakich expect Ballard to say? He cannot conjecture and say anything more than the doctors have conveyed to him. He cannot say anything more, anything less. If Luck has a setback, people will pile on Ballard and Irsay. If Luck comes back but does not play well enough to lead us into the playoffs, people will question if he is 100%. If Luck comes back but has another surgery next off season, people will be here back to say "he should have had it last year". 

He will be blasted if he does, he will be blasted if he doesn't by Dakich because Dakich has a man crush on Grigson. Who brings a GM's agent on air to defend him? Only Dakich, that showed me he was personally invested in Grigson, never seen those in the Polian days, never will see that again.

Dakich is hell bent on just the health of Luck, through the mouth of Ballard or Irsay, he is just interested in the shock jock value of his questions, not the facts or hearing what the doctors said. Dakich is so obsessed that he was asking that NFL Insider Diane...whatever her last name is, again, if McDaniels did not come here because of the health of Luck because he does not trust Ballard when he said that? He wants to be so right that he is obsessed about it and would not acknowledge any fact that does not jive with his opinion, no matter how many times he hears it.

One thing Dakich will not acknowledge is Ryan Grigson was a big part of where Luck's health is right now with his failed OL moves and drafting that woke up in his last year but a few years too late, but that does not jive with his affection for Grigson, why would he? The Bill O' Reilly of sports talk radio. Yeah, I hear ya (if you say something I agree with), but I have the last word and no matter how right you may be, I hear what I want to hear and choose to have the last word because it is my show. 

This is entirely accurate.  Dakich broke the whole JMV Reporting Dave Taub mess, while it was just an opinion JMV had.  While Dan has moments of great radio there are segments that are just to much.  He gets caught up on certain things. Go back and listen to him and Doyle the last time Doyle was on there. Dan tried to come at him strong and his argument made no sense halfway through.  

But he does have a 3 hour show and I can’t imagine how difficult it would be to have it all be good all the time. 

39 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I agree.  I think he has done some good things and showed some admirable qualities.  He also thought hiring Josh McDaniels (with his checkered head coaching resume and cheating background) was a good idea and very easily could have lead this franchise down an unfortunate path had fate not intervened. (Thank God!)  So I have some questions about his character assessment skills.  I'm still in his corner but he has a lot of work to do. And right now is his proving ground.  Thus far, he is off to a rocky start to this off season and that's just being honest. Beautifully handled press conference though.  But then again...he really needed to nail it for damage control.

He is really good at press conferences - if press conferences are your thing. They are not my thing though. His overconfidence in Luck's health is great but if Luck is not back under center soon that overconfidence is going to come back and bite him. 99% of the fans who heard Ballard talk about Luck probably think that Luck is still on schedule. The other 1% heard Ballard say tha Luck hasn’t even picked up a football. 

3 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

He is really good at press conferences - if press conferences are your thing. They are not my thing though. His overconfidence in Luck's health is great but if Luck is not back under center soon that overconfidence is going to come back and bite him. 99% of the fans who heard Ballard talk about Luck probably think that Luck is still on schedule. The other 1% heard Ballard say tha Luck hasn’t even picked up a football. 

Whether or not press conferences are your thing that was a pretty darn important one considering the circumstances.  The media could have easily ridiculed us over this but because of the way he handled it he salvaged some respect and enabled their scrutiny to fall primarily on McDaniels. 

As far as Luck...I heard that as well so I guess I'm in that 1%.  I also keep hearing Ballard say repeatedly that it's not about one guy.

10 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

So I guess please let us know where Luck is in his schedule and where he should be?

Would they like him throwing a football?  Sure. But he’s working on his throwing motion and mechanics to be a better quarterback. Since were a few months away from training camp. Why rush and mess up the progress?  This all seams normal and was not done the first time around.  I think that’s what your “99%” heard.