Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard - The "GM"

Reality Check

14 minutes ago, BlueRedZone said:

So I guess please let us know where Luck is in his schedule and where he should be?

Would they like him throwing a football?  Sure. But he’s working on his throwing motion and mechanics to be a better quarterback. Since were a few months away from training camp. Why rush and mess up the progress?  This all seams normal and was not done the first time around.  I think that’s what your “99%” heard. 

He was supposed to play last season so he’s well behind schedule. And I’m not advocating that he start throwing before he’s ready to. I think they rushed Luck too fast after the surgery. I just think in Ballard’s anger with McDaniels made him go a bit Irsay with his comments about Luck and the so-called rivalry. That sounds like what Irsay would say.  

23 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Whether or not press conferences are your thing that was a pretty darn important one considering the circumstances.  The media could have easily ridiculed us over this but because of the way he handled it he salvaged some respect and enabled their scrutiny to fall primarily on McDaniels. 

As far as Luck...I heard that as well so I guess I'm in that 1%.  I also keep hearing Ballard say repeatedly that it's not about one guy.

Ballard can say it’s not about one person until he turns blue as Blue. Right now we all know it is all about Luck. But it’s Ballard’s job to not make it about one person so I guess he’s right. :P

2 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Ballard can say it’s not about one person until he turns blue as Blue. Right now we all know it is all about Luck. But it’s Ballard’s job to not make it about one person so I guess he’s right. :P

So once you step off of that merry-go-round, you're left with the truth -- it's not about one person, nor should it be.

We all know that Luck is important, but we also witnessed 14 years of Peyton Manning without a defense, and five years of Luck without a quality roster. There's nothing Ballard can do about Luck's recovery, but there's plenty he can do about the rest of the roster. And if Luck never comes back -- and to be clear, I think Luck will be fine -- then Ballard will have to find another QB. 

If he does his job well, whoever the QB is won't have to carry the team every week. And that's what we all want, I think.

McDaniels gave his word, he broke his promise. I don’t see how that’s Ballard’s fault. He took the blame too, said it was ‘all on me’. He’s handling the situation very well imo. It’s his 2nd year, not even. Give him a chance to bring in a head coach that will remain true to his word. 

McDaniels also hurt his own rep by doing this. He didn’t even tell the guys HE hired he wasn’t taking the job. The snake slithered away and we’re pointing fingers at Ballard. Let’s at least give him some time to keep turning over this paper-target roster. 

3 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

I’m going to remind you that he played a key role in drafting Marcus Peters who many considered untouchable in the first round or at all.  Not to mention I’ve said this before, McD fooled more people than just Ballard.  He fooled Dungy who gave Ballard a good assessment of McD.  He fooled Peter king who sat down with him.  McD is a snake who had claimed to have changed and put up a good front all the way to the end. 

Go past that and McDaniels let himself become Kraft's puppet.  This whole scenario fell right into what Kraft wanted to be vindictive to the Colts.

Personally I don't want a stupid head coach and that is what McDaniels ended up being. Good riddance, he deserves Kraft.

I'm thinking Ballard wanted McDooDoo for his offensive "genius" and game calling abilities.  I think McD fit Ballard's "plan" for the way he wanted the offense.  

I think our coach needs to be a motivator, teacher, organizer, and one who brings people together.  Let the coordinators do their jobs and the head coach can manage them, the players, and THE GAME.

I'd like a guy who speaks straight and gets to the point.  Kinda like Ballard.  We need a focused, accountable guy who players, coaches , and fans wanna follow.

McDaniels sophomoric move more than defined him, just ask his well respected and now former agent and countless Denver players.  Ballard was still in a little shock at the press conference and had gone through a flood of emotions in just a few days on multiple fronts.  Superman has it right, Luck does not define this team.  I will add, Luck makes this team a viable playoff contender when he can throw footballs, not tennis balls.......but his football throwing days are right around the corner..no rush, we don't even have a coach.  Ballard has his priorities lined up for the best interest of this team, is a hard-core competitor, was close to taking out Pagano after the Jacksonville loss, is more pee-oh'd than ANY of us ever will be regarding the McDaniels matter, and can always fire coaches quickly if they don't work out since we are not looking at massive contracts for ego-centric coaching candidates at this point.

13 hours ago, deedub75 said:

He was supposed to play last season so he’s well behind schedule. And I’m not advocating that he start throwing before he’s ready to. I think they rushed Luck too fast after the surgery. I just think in Ballard’s anger with McDaniels made him go a bit Irsay with his comments about Luck and the so-called rivalry. That sounds like what Irsay would say.  

Yes he was and he fell behind. I feel though and I would say most do; is that this is different. He is doing things differently. It appears from reports that they learned from the process last time around. 

But with this current process there is no way we can know of his “schedule”. There is no need to throw right now. I would assume most qbs are on vacation and not throwing right now. 

Infact i would argue Luck is doing more than any other qb to have a successful year next year.  Do we all want him healthy? Absolutely. Do we want him 100%?  Absolutely. 

Thats what he is working on doing. Which is all good news from where we find ourselves today.  

Even though he wasn't entirely at fault, Ballard took the blame over that fiasco.

I feel like McD was the best "coach" for the job, but now we know he wasn't the best "man" for the job.

I have full confidence in Chris Ballard and we will get through this and continue to improve.

Even though he wasn't entirely at fault, Ballard took the blame over that fiasco.

I feel like McD was the best "coach" for the job, but now we know he wasn't the best "man" for the job.

I have full confidence in Chris Ballard and we will get through this and continue to improve.

10 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Some posters need a reality check. Dear God.

Totally agree. 

McDaniels all had but signed the contract. I respect Ballard for taking ownership of it. But what it looks like, is this all came out of left field. 

I am one glad he changed his mind. I don’t want a coach who doesn’t want to be here.