Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dr's concerned with Lucks shoulder....

Deadpool

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2758182-report-andrew-lucks-shoulder-injury-has-doctors-concerned-could-need-surgery

I didn't see this posted on here already, BUT Doctors are reportedly concerned about Luck's shoulder..... and think he may need surgery again! If there is a chance that he may be out for the year again should the Colts start thinking worst case scenario and  possibly go after a QB in the first round? or should they just wait it out and see what happens? This is just my opinion, but I think the colts need to possibly look at drafting a QB, I have a feeling luck will be out another year if he does indeed need another surgery. 

2 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2758182-report-andrew-lucks-shoulder-injury-has-doctors-concerned-could-need-surgery

I didn't see this posted on here already, BUT Doctors are reportedly concerned about Luck's shoulder..... and think he may need surgery again! If there is a chance that he may be out for the year again should the Colts start thinking worst case scenario and  possibly go after a QB in the first round? or should they just wait it out and see what happens? This is just my opinion, but I think the colts need to possibly look at drafting a QB, I have a feeling luck will be out another year if he does indeed need another surgery. 

the hits just keep on coming.  Strap in folks, its gonna be a long 7 months till September

This has been regurgitated 9 times already. This is a reprint of a reprint of a TV throwaway line in an interview of Mortensen who heard some doctors (not Luck's doctors) were concerned about Luck's shoulder.  

This is NOT based on any new information. It's just clickbaiting and agitating the fans. 

Just wait for official word and don't panic or celebrate until then. 

1 minute ago, Swan Ronson said:

Should doctors who have examined luck be sharing concerns with people?

It's not by doctors who have examined Luck. It's by ... just some random doctor who is drawing conclusions based on regular practices rather than on having ANY specific information on what Luck's condition is or what procedures he's done in Europe for example. 

Just now, stitches said:

It's not by doctors who have examined Luck. It's by ... just some random doctor who is drawing conclusions based on regular practices rather than on having ANY specific information on what Luck's condition is or what procedures he's done in Europe for example. 

Then the concerns are meaningless.

Just now, Swan Ronson said:

Then the concerns are meaningless.

They are not meaningless, because it's within regular practices that patients with labrum surgery might need an additional bicep surgery, BUT... those reports are NOT based on any direct information from Luck or Luck's doctors so they are pure speculation at this point. 

Until you hear something official from the Colts it's all speculation from the supposed media experts and unofficial Drs. Here is an example of what gets reported and the reality.

I personally had the opportunity to work around the Colts for 10 seasons during training camp (all with Peyton). In 2008 when Peyton had the knee problem and not seen in training camp the reports were coming out he was not at camp, not even in the state if Indiana, and seeing some specialized Dr. in California or Europe. Media was going nuts on where's Waldo. Truth.... He was at camp from the very first day, had one hell of a limp, and still behind the scenes was taking snaps in a gym with the first unit outside of sight out of mind. Kept this from the media for a week until the Colts decided to confirm he was in camp.

The moral to the story.... I'd probably listen to what Andrew says and ignore the rest. 

This is such a frustrating process.

I was encouraged that he was able to throw the ball 40/50 yards before he was shut down, and was further encouraged by him looking to be in much more "football shape" on his return from Europe but, at this stage, I wouldn't discount anything.

Ballard has a press conference today so hopefully he might put our minds at ease but he has been very cagey on Luck through this whole process.

Folks, it's no big loss, only money.  Colts need a new leader on the field.  Luck was never a leader.  I've never seen a teams "leader" abandon his team mid-season to travel out of the country in an attempt to recover by "working out and throwing footballs" as Luck stated was all that happened in Europe.  Why leave your team for that?  After which, he returned to stand in the shadows on the sidelines; not proactively engaging his team during games.  Never once did I see him go up and down the bench getting in the faces of his teammates in an attempt to rally the troops.  NEVER!  He just stood there looking like a deer in the headlights.  I've seen Peyton Manning, Brett Favre and Tommy Brady do that many times.  Luck clearly has no interest in playing football (in IND or anywhere).  He is NOT a leader.  The Colts need a leader with heart and passion (which Luck clearly lacks).  As I said before, and I'll stand by it, I think the Colts need to draft Baker Mayfield with their first pick.  He will not be Johnny Manziel 2.0.  More like Drew Brees 2.0.  He's grown; he'll bring the team back to life.

I'm not a Dr, but until I see #12 back in meaningful action, I'm concerned about his shoulder. That being said, I think that these "Doctors" who are concerned are either (1) just wanting to make a name for themselves  (2) breaking patient confidentiality laws (3) complete fabrications. My question is who are these doctors and why are they concerned? 

6 minutes ago, P'Son said:

Folks, it's no big loss, only money.  Colts need a new leader on the field.  Luck was never a leader.  I've never seen a teams "leader" abandon his team mid-season to travel out of the country in an attempt to recover by "working out and throwing footballs" as Luck stated was all that happened in Europe.  Why leave your team for that?  After which, he returned to stand in the shadows on the sidelines; not proactively engaging his team during games.  Never once did I see him go up and down the bench getting in the faces of his teammates in an attempt to rally the troops.  NEVER!  He just stood there looking like a deer in the headlights.  I've seen Peyton Manning, Brett Favre and Tommy Brady do that many times.  Luck clearly has no interest in playing football (in IND or anywhere).  He is NOT a leader.  The Colts need a leader with heart and passion (which Luck clearly lacks).  As I said before, and I'll stand by it, I think the Colts need to draft Baker Mayfield with their first pick.  He will not be Johnny Manziel 2.0.  More like Drew Brees 2.0.  He's grown; he'll bring the team back to life.

Funny!

I think this is pretty much all born from Dr. David Chao saying back in November, when the Colts shut Luck down, that he’d advocate doing an immediate exploratory surgery to confirm the shoulder repair worked.  His opinion was that it’s risky to just go the rehab route, only to find out three months later that he needs an exploratory surgery.  Ergo, Dr. Chao’s opinion was, why wait?

Most recently a week or two ago on Sirius XM NFL Radio, Dr. Chao and Jim Miller said that with Luck just now beginning the throwing regimen of recovery, it would take three months to definitively know if Luck has recovered pain free without a setback. Time-wise, that means the Colts won’t know for sure until after the draft.  The concern there is, if Luck experiences a setback during his throwing rehab, the exploratory surgery becomes necessary, which would put 2018 in doubt.

Now to be clear, he also said all he is hearing is that Luck is coming along nicely and there is nothing to make one believe that Luck won’t be good to go.  But again, there can be no definitive way of knowing until about three months from now, after Luck goes through the throwing rehab program.

Methinks these renewed reports are nothing but unfounded sensationalism that just regurgitates that luck’s condition remains unknown until he proceeds through the throwing program ... and if there is a setback during the throwing program, then another surgery may be required, which might then put his 2018 season in jeopardy.  Ignored are the reports out of the Luck camp that his physical rehab has gone well and they are hopeful and expectant that there will be no further setbacks.

7 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I just don't get how everyone here automatically has to dismiss every negative report that comes down. Denial?

I suppose Mortensen could be wrong. But I doubt he makes this stuff up. After all he is one of the more respected analysts.

He used to be.  Now he's having a hard time staying in front of the camera at ESPN.  His Luck coverage is all he has left.   He knows how to slant a report to get more airtime. 

8 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I just don't get how everyone here automatically has to dismiss every negative report that comes down. Denial?

I suppose Mortensen could be wrong. But I doubt he makes this stuff up. After all he is one of the more respected analysts.

The problem is no one ever offers legit sources. If Mort said people within the organization are telling him something then the preponderance of evidence grows. Otherwise our guess is really as legit as his.

10 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

We just don’t want it to be true. I for one don’t, and I don’t speak for everyone, but say it is true. Why wait this long to undergo the surgery? Now Luck will be out all training camp and probably otas. 

18 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Respectfully, the exact same argument can be made for those that automatically accept every new report that comes out. It is a common logical fallacy to use causes to support one’s position. 

And sometimes, people just want to watch the world burn... :) 

1 hour ago, P'Son said:

Let’s settle down there bud

1 hour ago, P'Son said:

This post lacks any semblance of logic or common sense.

1 hour ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I'm not a Dr, but until I see #12 back in meaningful action, I'm concerned about his shoulder. That being said, I think that these "Doctors" who are concerned are either (1) just wanting to make a name for themselves  (2) breaking patient confidentiality laws (3) complete fabrications. My question is who are these doctors and why are they concerned? 

Did anyone ever see one doctors name?  In general, yes sometimes another surgery is needed. But did any of those unnamed doctors examine Luck?

We know as much as them, and won’t know anything concrete until he either throws without pain or not.  

I want to point out, we have to wait until Luck progresses through his throwing program.  He is NOT, repeat, not throwing a football at this time.  He is working on mechanics and strength/speed.  He is likely in the early stages on an Interval Throwing Program (non football at this stage).

The doctors working on Luck cannot comment on his prognosis/progression.  The rest is speculation.  We have been, and continue to be, in a ‘wait and see’ mode.  Me specifically, will wait until Luck is performing well in 11 on 11 live drills with defenders chasing him and trying to block his passes (a Red shirt will keep him from getting hit but not pursued) forcing weird arm angles and throwing on the run.  He passes that, then I’m confident.  Not until then.