Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard’s silence

indyblue

What exactly do you expect Ballard to say? He's not going to say anything, why should he? 

I think it's time for everyone to stop looking for answers here regarding this team. It's as simple as the 2017 Colts are not very good in all phases.

His first draft/offseason looks solid, but I'm not sure I see any home runs or game changers.  Maybe Mack, if he's used properly behind a real O-line.  This team needs a lot of work.   

At 2-6, I would give the rookies as much playing time as possible.  See what you have.

27 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Hopefully he's busy working trade deals for Vontae and TY... 

:hat:

Or for everyone not named Doyle, Kelly, and Hooker. No one on this team is safe. The Colts are a dumpster fire and it’s likely we blow this team up this offseason. Might as well load up on picks. 

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Pagano may get fired after the bye with the smack downs houston and the steelers are going to put on us

Irsay has never fired a coach midseason I doubt he will start now. 

This was touted as a down year anyways I had no expectations. The only thing this season as shown is that Pagano's time here has ran its course. 

6 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Irsay has never fired a coach midseason I doubt he will start now. 

This was touted as a down year anyways I had no expectations. The only thing this season as shown is that Pagano's time here has ran its course. 

So do we draft barkley

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

No because it's quite obvious he can't develop young players. 

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.....       so I'll simply list the young players he and his staff have helped develop.

Hilton, AC,  Doyle, Mewhort,  Kelly, Anderson,  Davis,  Butler,  Hooker,  Simon,  Freeman,  Fleener,  Geathers....

We didn't win 11 games per season the first 3 years without getting the most out of average rosters and Andrew Luck.

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.....       so I'll simply listed the young players he and his staff have helped develop.

Hilton, AC,  Doyle, Mewhort,  Kelly, Anderson,  Davis,  Butler,  Hooker,  Simon,  Freeman,  Fleener,  Geathers....

We didn't win 11 games per season the first 3 years without getting the most out of average rosters and Andrew Luck.

Going 17 - 1 against the AFC South in hist first 3 seasons helped a little teeny weeny bit.   

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.....       so I'll simply listed the young players he and his staff have helped develop.

The draft class of 2012 combined with a healthy Mathis and Reggie, carried this team. They've done nothing with the rest of the draft classes(not counting this years as it's too early to tell)

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Or for everyone not named Doyle, Kelly, and Hooker. No one on this team is safe. The Colts are a dumpster fire and it’s likely we blow this team up this offseason. Might as well load up on picks. 

id take a high second for hooker right now, though it wont happen because he is one of ballards guys 

i think he is a good player, but he is a significant injury risk.  he missed most of the offseason and went on IR so quickly into his career that it makes me question if he is going to be able to stay healthy in the league 

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

we dont win them without playing in a really weak division either

I wasn't responding to a comment about wins and losses.

I was responding to a comment that Pagano doesn't improve young players.

I don't think that's true.   

But these days Pagano is responsible for everything that wrong in the world these days......

That's where we are.....

27 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

He inherited a bigger mess than Grigson.  

Disagree Grigson took over an extremely old team that cut much of whatever talent they had and had little cap room to work with and had to deal with the aftermath of cutting the best player in franchise history.  

Ballard had a franchise QB in place lots of cap room to work with and team that might not have a lot of talent but most of its talent was younger.  

Now clearly if Luck’s injury is career ending (which I still doubt) then that changes things.

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Disagree Grigson took over an extremely old team that cut much of whatever talent they had and had little cap room to work with and had to deal with the aftermath of cutting the best player in franchise history.  

Ballard had a franchise QB in place lots of cap room to work with and team that might not have a lot of talent but most of its talent was younger.  

Now clearly if Luck’s injury is career ending (which I still doubt) then that changes things.

True but that old team won with Manning.  I doubt is Manning would win much with this team. 

Just look at what Ballard said earlier to know what he thinks now.  He said this will take time.  That you don't build a team or locker room over night.

And the fact that he said you don't build a team says a lot.  He wasn't taking over something that needed some work.  He was starting from zero in his mind I think.  I

20 hours ago, deedub75 said:

True but that old team won with Manning.  I doubt is Manning would win much with this team. 

I think we would win because manning would be running his own offense and it Chuds and Hilton would be even more similar to Marvin if he worked on timing like manning did 

20 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not a defense of Grigson, but the team going to the playoffs right away undercut his ability to rebuild the roster through the draft. You take over a bad team and cut a bunch of dead weight, you expect to pick high in the draft for another couple years. He got one top ten pick, and had to use it on a QB.

Again, not defending him; he messed up his other picks, and if he had drafted better even with his low draft position, he still could have restocked the roster. Just pointing out that he had a tough situation to deal with himself.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Not a defense of Grigson, but the team going to the playoffs right away undercut his ability to rebuild the roster through the draft. You take over a bad team and cut a bunch of dead weight, you expect to pick high in the draft for another couple years. He got one top ten pick, and had to use it on a QB.

Again, not defending him; he messed up his other picks, and if he had drafted better even with his low draft position, he still could have restocked the roster. Just pointing out that he had a tough situation to deal with himself.

You don't have to defend Grigson for his first couple of years. He won GM of the year and did do a good job his first couple of years. I know things went south but it wasn't from lack of effort. Draft bust and ill advised free agents were the problem. Add the rumored stuff about Pagano it was his fate to get fired.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You don't have to defend Grigson for his first couple of years. He won GM of the year and did do a good job his first couple of years. I know things went south but it wasn't from lack of effort. Draft bust and ill advised free agents were the problem. Add the rumored stuff about Pagano it was his fate to get fired.

I think he had a strong first year. His second year was awful. And I say that with the benefit of hindsight, so it's inherently unfair, but bottom line, look back and his moves in 2013 and they were almost all poor decisions.

The draft was a bust, from Werner to Williams, and everyone in between, for various reasons. Free agency, pretty much just Erik Walden, who was basically average. Sizable contracts for Cherilus and Landry, and neither of them made it to Year 3, and several other guys who were, at best, nondescript for the Colts. And then, the cherry on top, trading a first rounder for one of the biggest draft busts of the last decade, Trent Richardson.

Those problems festered for a couple years, and by the time the dust settled, it was determined that Grigson was a terrible GM who needed to be exiled. I was never to that extreme with him, and still am not, but 2013 was not defensible, regardless of the way the team performed. 

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Nonsense. We had wins over the eventual super bowl winners. We had playoff wins right up to the AFC championship game.

we had bad losses too.  they were inconsistent and probably a 9-7 team in any other division, especially if it was the patriots or steelers division