Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anything positive from game 1

B~Town

49 minutes ago, krunk said:

I still keep seeing Costanzo getting beat. Dont know when or how we address him. Overall I didnt really feel like the line was all that awful. Especially under the circumstances. They certainly weren't as bad as Houston to me.

same old casto speed rushers beat him, too slow footed

1 hour ago, a06cc said:

The defense looked fine to me. Once Luck gets back we’ll be even better. Brissett showed he can lead us down the field so if ready he may start next week. 

The defense looked fine?! Against the run they were ok but passing stripped them to the bone.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Run defense allowed 1.2 ypc with Gurley as the star back. 

But they got out-muscled at the goal line. That first Gurley TD was ridiculous. Shouldn't have got it. The Malcolm Brown one was worse though. 3 bodies there and he just powered through.

Secondary was worse though. They were bad throughout. I know I'll get "he's still learning the position ", but Green doesn't need to play CB. Kupp will be good in this league, but how do you get burned by someone who ran like a 4.6 at the combine? Especially when you ran a 4.3...

4 hours ago, krunk said:

I still keep seeing Costanzo getting beat. Dont know when or how we address him. Overall I didnt really feel like the line was all that awful. Especially under the circumstances. They certainly weren't as bad as Houston to me.

Costanzo is pretty bad man. I saw him getting beat in the preseason to rookies I saw him get destroyed a few times today. Very disappointing 

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

Are we sure tho? I can see them being less eager to get him back quickly the more we suck. Lets say we start 0-4... do you think they rush him back in with that OLine?

Even if he was playing only next season, we're one game closer! :-))

On the side note, we will very likely stand at 0:4 in October. His return is not only important for team's record, but also important for Luck himself to regain abilities. I wouldn't rush him back in case of any record though. Just my 2 cents. 

Positives from the game?  Brisett coming in and leading the team to a TD.  I thought Mack was a positive as well other than the fumble.  The defense has to get better but I don't blame them for all 46 points.  Tolzien threw two pick 6's(14pts), one fumble for a safety (2pts).  30 points against a Rams team is way to much but the offense didn't do them any favors.  One good positive is Houston and Tenn both lost. 

Yes.  It was a great mercy for the Colts to let fans know right out of the gate not to get emotionally invested in the team this season.  It would have been a great cruelty to limp along for 6-8 weeks before it became clear this years ceiling is 4-12 as currently composed.  

The o-line actually played better than the stats reveil.  The front 7 defense looks good, and will only get better with the next few weeks.  Mac showed again he can break plays.  And that was not our true starting secondary. (thank god)  

If it was not for tolzien, we could have been in this game.  2 pick 6's is a possible 28 point turnover.  and if not for those, the game would have been played differently.  Hoping Luck heals up well and true, but until then, I think we should either have Brisset start, .......or offer McAffee a short term QB contract. haha

1 hour ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Positives from the game?  Brisett coming in and leading the team to a TD.  I thought Mack was a positive as well other than the fumble.  The defense has to get better but I don't blame them for all 46 points.  Tolzien threw two pick 6's(14pts), one fumble for a safety (2pts).  30 points against a Rams team is way to much but the offense didn't do them any favors.  One good positive is Houston and Tenn both lost. 

I agree on Mack and Brissett.  

13 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Arizona, aside from Peterson, apparently have a weak secondary from what I've hear. Heck even Peterson got torched today against Detroit. If that's the case, our receivers have to find ways to get open to make Brissett's job easier. And some support from the O line would be great (although they weren't as bad today as they usually are). 

Their #2 corner is a big issue. Secondary overall isn't that bad, mainly because of Peterson and Mathieu, along with solid players at safety. The corner opposite of Peterson has been torched badly in the past couple of years and from what I saw in preseason (haven't seen the Lions game yet), that hasn't changed.

As for positives, what has been said here. Run D, Mack and Gore looked good.

13 hours ago, krunk said:

Did Haeg play? I think they should replace Vunovich and put him back out there

Haeg replaced Mewhort early in the 2nd Q. He got destroyed. Got yanked quickly.

John Simon is a keeper.

more pt for

ILB Jerimiah Good

Margus Hunt

Vunovich looked pretty decent technically. Our best lineman yesterday. Not saying much.

It makes me wonder how many people in this thread that are still whining, even in a thread about the positives, actually paid attention to the game and how many spent the whole time throwing tantrums. If you can't come up with legit positives (there were quite a few), you shouldn't be posting on this thread. Keep the negative stuff in the other 34 threads started in the past 24 hrs.

That said, I was really encouraged by our run D against Gurley, Mack (sans the fumble), Brisset, and Simon. With a competent Brissett starting, we could stand a real chance against the Cards..

I have some positives that we didnt have last year.  I know a lot of you hate PFF, but I tend to find it offers some elementary type of guidance on players performances.  All of our interior defenders has at least an average grade except for Ridgeway.  Woods actually had a score above 80.  All of our edge defenders had at least an average grade except for Sheard.  George had a score of almost 80 at ILB.  Farley had an average score of 75.  Hooker had a score of 68 which was almost average.  The rest of the secondary was horrible.

On offense, I think we have found our new RT.  Good had a score off 77.  Highest among OL.  Castonzo just broke into average score range with 71.  Everyone else had scores below 50 which is failing.  When Kelly gets back, we ahould have center and both tackle positions covered.  Worried about guard spots.  Doyle was only guy on offense with a score above 80.  Gore had a score of 75.  Everyone else not mentioned above had a failing grade.  Moncrief did have a score of 68 which is considered poor.

On offense I thought Gore Good and Doyle played well Mack was in there prior to the fumble. Brissett provided some hope. The D Wood Hunt Farley and George had good games. George was an unexpected surprise I thought Wilson and Hairston looked ok too. Simon had a pretty good game I expected more. Rigo did well punting the ball. 

There were some things to be encouraged by like the run D. It's very disappointing our biggest problems came from the guy's who don't put pads on. That is demoralizing for a team.