Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you think the pass rush will be better this coming season?

RockThatBlue

I don't see why not. Indy has improved at DL with the addition of Hankins and Woods at NT to help free up others, and they also added younger pieces at OLB in Sheard and Simon who are in the prime of their careers as opposed to older players in Walden, Mathis, and Cole that they had last season. Plus Ballard added a talented pass rusher in round 3 of the draft in Basham.

26 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I just don't see how it couldn't be better. Everyone that left got replaced with someone better. The secondary is better. And Henry Anderson can be a force if he's healthy. 

A key point is the secondary being better...wouldn't be surprised if its much better :)

I do. Primarily, I expect the defense to be better up the middle, especially in the run game. I also hope that they can get push up the middle on passing downs, which will help the edge rushers finish plays. We don't have a fearsome group of pass rushers, but if we get more third and longs, and close up the middle, the pass rush will be more dangerous.

We still don't have that lead dog pass rusher, the "war daddy," as Jerry Jones would say. I like Basham, but he has to prove himself. Sheard isn't that guy, neither is Simon. Mingo was projected to be that guy coming out, but hasn't come close. 

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I do. Primarily, I expect the defense to be better up the middle, especially in the run game. I also hope that they can get push up the middle on passing downs, which will help the edge rushers finish plays. We don't have a fearsome group of pass rushers, but if we get more third and longs, and close up the middle, the pass rush will be more dangerous.

We still don't have that lead dog pass rusher, the "war daddy," as Jerry Jones would say. I like Basham, but he has to prove himself. Sheard isn't that guy, neither is Simon. Mingo was projected to be that guy coming out, but hasn't come close. 

So, I'm on mobile and there's this little drop down menu off to the side of the screen. Is my phone glitched or is this new? Cause it's in the way 

1 minute ago, TKnight24 said:

So, I'm on mobile and there's this little drop down menu off to the side of the screen. Is my phone glitched or is this new? Cause it's in the way 

We're talking about it in another thread. It's new. It's being fixed.

41 minutes ago, Superman said:

Agreed that there is no war daddy, but as a unit the pass rush should absolutely be better. 

Kind of a sidenote, but I wonder if the Colts will keep McGill. Hes shown flashes of some pass rush from up the middle.

1 hour ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I just don't see how it couldn't be better. Everyone that left got replaced with someone better. The secondary is better. And Henry Anderson can be a force if he's healthy. 

I believe it will be 110% better than it was I think the secondary is better already.

37 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Agreed that there is no war daddy, but as a unit the pass rush should absolutely be better. 

Kind of a sidenote, but I wonder if the Colts will keep McGill. Hes shown flashes of some pass rush from up the middle.

Everybody has a fight on their hands. I think Simon, Sheard and Hankins are locked in as starters, but everyone else needs to get ready for camp battles. I think Anderson and Langford are the favorites, but neither had great seasons last year. Parry might not make the roster. McGill isn't a lock, and we added Hunt and Woods. I almost forgot about Ridgeway, and we just drafted the big monster Grover Stewart. There's gonna be a big fight at DL this year. 

The defense don't have to be great for us to win games. It's known the Colts win games when the D holds the other team under 20 points. I also have to think the offense will be better this season.

An average defense would be good enough for this team to get wins on a regular bases. 

21 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The defense don't have to be great for us to win games. It's known the Colts win games when the D holds the other team under 20 points. I also have to think the offense will be better this season.

An average defense would be good enough for this team to get wins on a regular bases. 

Yes, I agree with CC1. Stop our opponent from getting 3 touchdowns or at least let the secondary give Chewbacca a short field with more touches. 

I can't really judge this question til say week 8 just to see how fluid or DL & DBs are clicking. If Andrew realizes that he has help & doesn't have to carry this franchise on his back, he will breathe a sigh of relief & understand that it's not necessary to throw 80 yard bombs downfield every possession on offense. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Langford got cut during the Pre-Season. Ballard is going to the youth movement, and Langford is 31 years old coming off some knee issues. 

With some decent depth at the D-Line It wouldn't surprise me if Ridgeway impresses that Langford would get the axe. 

5 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Yes, I agree with CC1. Stop our opponent from getting 3 touchdowns or at least let the secondary give Chewbacca a short field with more touches. 

I can't really judge this question til say week 8 just to see how fluid or DL & DBs are clicking. If Andrew realizes that he has help & doesn't have to carry this franchise on his back, he will breathe a sigh of relief & understand that it's not necessary to throw 80 yard bombs downfield every possession on offense. 

Believe it or not the Colts had a less "average yard per attempt" than the Patriots last season.

Source:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/yards-per-pass-attempt

2 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

I noticed that thing too.  I am using an iPad and that thing is right in the way.  It just appeared today and I hated the damn thing!

Now back on topic, I think the pass rush will be more effective this coming year because Ballard addressed the front three (especially with Hankins).  With Hankins at nose tackle, he will demand double teams.  The Oline will be forced to use two Oline men to deal with him.  That would leave our DE dealing with their OT, which leaves our OLB free to go after the QB.  Of course they will have to throw either a TE or RB to do the blocking at that point, but I'd rather see our OLBs go around a skill player, than a legit OT.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I'll agree with NCF, it should be a bit better, likewise the defense as a whole.

But No Pass Rushers were  really added, (not even in a draft that was veiwed as deep in pass rushers) so I don't expect opposing QB's losing sleep facing us.

I respectfully disagree.  I think that our front seven have a lot of potential (on paper)

I also think it will be better but I also believe that the number of coverage sacks will increase significantly. I could see Simon and Sheard both getting 10+ sacks, as well as everyone else getting 1-2 sack more then they typically average bc of QB's holding the ball too long due to no one being opened downfield thanks to the improved secondary. 

45 minutes ago, our_dbs_rock said:

I think will all depend on if the lbs can cover tight ends and running backs.

It seemed like they consistently gave up 10-15 yard plays in the middle of the field last year on short passes.

Spence is supposed to be pretty solid in that regard isn't he? At least better than anything we had last season. I don't know a whole lot about Anthony Walker either but he seems like he could be effective at it as well. Not sure Walker will be able to get a starting job rookie year but ILB is our weakest position so we'll see.

With Hankins, Anderson, Langford, etc I think we'll get more pressure in the middle.

With the improved secondary, that will get some coverage sacks. 

All of this should help the pass rush...... 

I mean, it's gotta be better than it was. 

11 hours ago, CR91 said:

This defense could be really fun to watch. Only ILB needs work Imo. 

I agree. This year is going to be very interesting. I think we have some interesting pieces at ILB but I think we're missing that ILB presence that Haason Reddick or similar would have given us. I'm happy with Malik hooker though. I think he brings an interesting dimension to the D.

8 hours ago, Vinatieri4 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Langford got cut during the Pre-Season. Ballard is going to the youth movement, and Langford is 31 years old coming off some knee issues. 

With some decent depth at the D-Line It wouldn't surprise me if Ridgeway impresses that Langford would get the axe. 

Langford isn't getting cut if healthy. You don't cut 7 sacks off the roster bec got hurt last season. 1st time hes ever been hurt in his career. Always room for veteran talent on the roster. You don't cut all your veterans. Wise to keep some around.

When the pass rush is practically the worst in the league, there's no where else to go but up. 

It all depends on how well these men gel together. We have a lot of different people and personalities all coming in for the first time. As lollygagger8 says, If the coverage can be lights out, then that certainly will give our pass rushers more time.

I think this defense will begin to show its true form later in the season. We will have growing pains to start out. We are still far from perfect, but at least on paper we are in a much better situation compared to last year.

55 minutes ago, krunk said:

Langford isn't getting cut if healthy. You don't cut 7 sacks off the roster bec got hurt last season. 1st time hes ever been hurt in his career. Always room for veteran talent on the roster. You don't cut all your veterans. Wise to keep some around.

I see what you are saying, but last season he got 0 sacks. Yes he was injured, but the NFL is a "what have you done for me now" type of league. For example: Peyton Manning went from 55 touchdowns, to 39 touchdowns to 9 touchdowns in 3 seasons. Arguably the greatest QB of all time, and has taken limited punishment. 

Langford is a defensive lineman, who literally has contact every single play he is on the field. Which makes you ask this question:  Is a player of his caliber (never GREAT but solid his career) worth keeping on the roster when you could clear up some cap, and also get young guys some more playing time. I think the smart thing to do is trade him for a 6th or 7th, or just cut him.

As for veteran talent, offensively we have: Luck, TY, Costanzo, Gore, and Doyle at each position group to help be a veteran presence. 

Defensively: Vonate Davis, Jabaal Sheared, and I would expect Henry Anderson to become more of a leader this season as well. 

13 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Um we sign Jonathan hankins and jabal sheard, john simon, sean spearce, jon bostic thats some upgrades js